Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

plodder wrote: »
    But, the NIAC advice isn't a blueprint for the vaccination campaign. It's just saying that particular cohorts should get specific vaccines when available and something different when not available. I really don't see the issue here.

Is the advice as simple and straightforward as that though ?
    I thought it was a bit more nuanced and pointed, but maybe I took it up wrong.
    I really doubt that there would be a situation where we could have a bit of "an Irish solution etc.," by booking out an MVC somewhere and on the day, saying "sorry, we've only got J&J here so you'll be getting that" - it would clearly be against the spirit of the NIAC advice - whether someone agrees or not with the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭plodder

Russman wrote: »
    Is the advice as simple and straightforward as that though ?
    I thought it was a bit more nuanced and pointed, but maybe I took it up wrong.
    I really doubt that there would be a situation where we could have a bit of "an Irish solution etc.," by booking out an MVC somewhere and on the day, saying "sorry, we've only got J&J here so you'll be getting that" - it would clearly be against the spirit of the NIAC advice - whether someone agrees or not with the advice.

Here's what it says:

In general:
    Any currently authorised COVID-19 vaccine can be given to adults of all ages, including those aged 70 and older.

Specifically in relation to Janssen:
    As alternative vaccines are available, mRNA vaccines are recommended for those aged under 50 years including those with medical conditions with very high or high risk of severe COVID-19 disease.

In circumstances where a two-dose mRNA vaccination schedule is not a feasible alternative, COVID-19 vaccine Janssen® can be considered for those aged 18 – 49 years.
    Maybe, you can quibble over "is not feasible", but I would say if not available at the time you are due to be vaccinated, then that is not feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tony Holohan just confirmed that the vaccine bonus will apply to Astra Zeneca four weeks after Dose 1 .

He was asked to confirm what was reported last night by The Journal and he confirmed it .

Some more detail on the ‘vaccine bonus’, with indoor visits permitted – without masks or social distancing – for those who are vaccinated:

From 10 May

fully vaccinated people can meet indoors with other fully vaccinated people as long as there are no more than three households present;
    fully vaccinated people can meet indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household, provided that they are not at risk of severe illness.
    This applies to:

persons who have received AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria) – four weeks after dose 1;
    persons who have received Janssen/Johnson & Johnson – two weeks after dose 1 (only dose);
    persons who have received Pfizer – one week after dose 2;
    persons who have received Moderna – two weeks after dose 2;
    persons who have had a confirmed Covid-19 infection in the previous six months.
    It will be welcome news for the 50-69-year-olds that they will not have to wait until after their second AstraZeneca dose – 12 weeks after the first dose – until they can meet indoors with loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A fairly harmless bonus :rolleyes:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not for me . I am delighted with it actually
    It means I can meet up with friends and have coffee indoors on the couch and not wrapped in fleeces in the garden !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

George Lee at the NPHET briefing trying to compare vaccines as has been done here for example.

He's been put in his place by Prof Nolan, Dr Glynn & the CMO.

Each have told him to stop comparing one against another, the trials were different, they're all highly effective and they expect real world impact to be similar for all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,929 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

While I see where your coming from here, proper planning is planning in advance, not a cross the bridge when we come to it situation.

We have to plan based on the current advice, if NIAC advise changes and age restrictions drop again then great, however as things stand, there is no getting around that unless J&J is used only as advice currently stands, there will be a large number of 1 shot vaccines not used in this country and the alternative is pushing the vaccine program out a number of weeks, quite possibly well into August & September as for each dose left unused we require 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna for example.

Now, the "unless there's no other vaccine" advice is wide open to interpretation and how that moves forward could play a large role. But this all needs to be planned for now, not in June

I'm guessing that they 'think' a change to the J & J advice might still be in play. At that point, its rollout will have been underway for many weeks in Europe and the US and they should have a much clearer idea just how safe or otherwise the vaccine is (it was pulled here for the under 50s based on the very limited early rollout and data in the US).

seamus wrote: »
    There's a lot of heavy lifting to be done in the "if there are no other vaccines available" clause.

It might be as simple as burning through the other vaccines at the start of the week, and then everyone of whatever age that attends the MVC at the end of the week gets the J&J because that's all that's available.

I would have thought it would be based on an unforeseen supply problem with the other vaccines. If you did the above you might end up with a lot of no shows on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

plodder wrote: »
    Here's what it says:

In general:

Specifically in relation to Janssen:

Maybe, you can quibble over "is not feasible", but I would say if not available at the time you are due to be vaccinated, then that is not feasible.

Thanks for that I hadn't seen the exact wording.

Hmmm, I think it would be stretching it a bit to say if for example, a vaccination centre didn't have any Pfizer on a Wednesday, that it was covered by "not feasible". I'm not saying I agree with the NIAC advice or anything, but to me, its clearly directed at the so-called "hard to reach" communities, ie the travellers, Roma, homeless etc. Regardless of what the NIAC advice is, the HSE really shouldn't be seen to be playing silly buggers with the wording. Too much of our natural inclination here, when we see a rule, to think "how can I get round that ?" Purely IMO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hmmm, I think it would be stretching it a bit to say if for example, a vaccination centre didn't have any Pfizer on a Wednesday, that it was covered by "not feasible". I'm not saying I agree with the NIAC advice or anything, but to me, its clearly directed at the so-called "hard to reach" communities, ie the travellers, Roma, homeless etc. Regardless of what the NIAC advice is, the HSE really shouldn't be seen to be playing silly buggers with the wording. Too much of our natural inclination here, when we see a rule, to think "how can I get round that ?" Purely IMO of course.
    The HSE will make calls based on operational needs so you'd expect as many of the minority groups and the over 50s as they can to get J&J jabs, even if it takes them into July. Anything remaining will probably be treated in the same way they do leftovers and just put in arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

George Lee at the NPHET briefing trying to compare vaccines as has been done here for example.

Each have told him to stop comparing one against another, the trials were different, they're all highly effective and they expect real world impact to be similar for all

At this stage George Lee needs to be put out to pasture. He's so poor in comparison to other journalists and is so obviously under prepared. Merchant of doom is apt for him. Hopefully those rebuttals see some airtime on the main news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭plodder

Gosh, I think you are reading way too much into what NIAC are saying (as opposed to the HSE's actual vaccination plan, or the media reporting of it). Eg. the HSE may want to give J&J to the "hard to reach" communities, but not exclusively to them, and it's not even within NIAC's remit to be advising on operational matters like that.

If the priority is to get vaccines into arms as soon as they arrive here, and if supplies can't be predicted from week to week then I don't see much alternative but to use whatever is available week to week, with the caveat that if available, mRNA is prioritised to the younger cohorts. Though doing the younger groups in parallel with the 50-59s makes sense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

It really seems to be random how it's been allocated I know my 68 year old father registered on fist day he could heard nothing several younger friends of his registered after and have appointments and jabs in some cases? what's the point in registering by age when it's not being done by age?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Anything which brings this thing closer to an end is a bonus.

FINALLY!!! Now will RTE ever show these experts in this field saying this instead of having the mis-guided merchants of doom in our communities going around telling all and sundry about how Pfizer is the good one!
    duffman13 wrote: »
    At this stage George Lee needs to be put out to pasture. He's so poor in comparison to other journalists and is so obviously under prepared. Merchant of doom is apt for him. Hopefully those rebuttals see some airtime on the main news

Funny I was only thinking - this time last year, RTE must have had every doctor/academic researcher/infectious disease expert on the news talking about how virulent this thing is, the importance of social distancing, hand-washing, etc. Fast forward a year, and we have a vaccine rollout on-going and they seem to have no interest in explaining the efficacy of all the vaccines, how they are all 100% effective against hospitalisation, serious illness and death, and that 1 in a million extreme side effects are similar to the odds of being in a car crash. They need to be shouting this message on every news/current affairs show/ad break/etc, but instead they are focusing on the rarest of the rare blood clots, restrictions being applied, etc and George Lee is having a field day.

I think they don't understand the magnitude of their role in causing vaccine hesitancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

my brother (cohort 7) has GP appointment for vaccine for next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Scoundrel wrote: »
    It really seems to be random how it's been allocated I know my 68 year old father registered on fist day he could heard nothing several younger friends of his registered after and have appointments and jabs in some cases? what's the point in registering by age when it's not being done by age?

I'd say it will get increasingly random from now on as the vaccination numbers go up. Better to be fast than perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

I'm cohort 7 and have an appointment with the GP for the 11th May.

I got a call on Tuesday (27 April) for a last-minute jab but couldn't get there in time.

GP said next supplies to them will be in a fortnight, and gave me a slot.

Have to say the coordination of cohorts 4 & 7 has been messy - between GP's and Hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭VG31

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/vaccines-for-35-to-59-year-olds-to-start-in-june-fg-predicts-1.4552236

Vaccines for 35 to 59 year olds to start in June, FG predicts

Is this right? Under 60s will only start in June? It's hardly going to take the whole month of May to vacciante the 60-69s. That seems very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Does anyone think that this is a bit off?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/vaccines-for-35-to-59-year-olds-to-start-in-june-fg-predicts-1.4552236

People aged between 35 and 59 are set to begin getting Covid-19 vaccinations in June but it will be July before younger people start to be inoculated, according to a Fine Gael projection of the rollout over the next three months

I would expect people below 60 to start in the second half of May, whether the 50-59 or the 40-59 as mooted elsewhere today. Likewise, I would expect people aged 16-35 to have started in June, even if not everyone was done.

edit:VG31 obviously thinks likewise!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The Taoiseach literally said yesterday the 50-59s is starting next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

VG31 wrote: »

Vaccines for 35 to 59 year olds to start in June, FG predicts

Is this right? Under 60s will only start in June? It's hardly going to take the whole month of May to vacciante the 60-69s. That seems very slow.

The government themselves said today that 50-59 will start in about three weeks (registered next week, starting in 2 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Does anyone think that this is a bit off?

People aged between 35 and 59 are set to begin getting Covid-19 vaccinations in June but it will be July before younger people start to be inoculated, according to a Fine Gael projection of the rollout over the next three months

I would expect people below 60 to start in the second half of May, whether the 50-59 or the 40-59 as mooted elsewhere today. Likewise, I would expect people aged 16-35 to have started in June, even if not everyone was done.

edit:VG31 obviously thinks likewise!

Cohort 1,2 & 3 will be needing their second doses next month. Cohort 4 needs to be finished and their second doses will be starting next month also. Cohort 5 needs to be finished and cohort 7 started, so a rough calculation is about 1.3mil doses to get done before they move on to the under 60's.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

What was the AZ shipment that the article talks about? Was it on target or did it exceed the target for the delivery this week? Sorry, IT behind a paywall for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

revelman wrote: »
    What was the AZ shipment that the article talks about? Was it on target or did it exceed the target for the delivery this week? Sorry, IT behind a paywall for me.

IT is a bit strange. In one browser paywall in the next none.

Anyway it was 165,000 AZ arrived in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Skygord wrote: »
    I'm cohort 7 and have an appointment with the GP for the 11th May.

I got a call on Tuesday (27 April) for a last-minute jab but couldn't get there in time.

GP said next supplies to them will be in a fortnight, and gave me a slot.

Have to say the coordination of cohorts 4 & 7 has been messy - between GP's and Hospitals.
    Fair play. Also Cohort 7. I rang HSE twice this week as my GP said they are vaccinating nobody after Cohort 4. First time, the HSE told me to tell my GP to refer me to them. Told my GP She said she wasn't aware of such a process but the IMO said something that there might be next week. So I rang the HSE bacl today - they said there is no such process and suggested I ask my GP to refer me to another GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Cohort 1,2 & 3 will be needing their second doses next month. Cohort 4 needs to be finished and their second doses will be starting next month also. Cohort 5 needs to be finished and cohort 7 started, so a rough calculation is about 1.3mil doses to get done before they move on to the under 60's.

Remaining Cohort 1&2 will mostly be starting mid June now that they've extended the 2nd az dose to 16 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

The Taoiseach literally said yesterday the 50-59s is starting next week

He said registration will open next week. It might take several more weeks until they start vaccinating them. Who knows though? There was a post earlier about a 61 year old who has already received an appointment at an MVC in Cork. Cork seems to be flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

ceegee wrote: »
    Remaining Cohort 1&2 will mostly be starting mid June now that they've extended the 2nd az dose to 16 weeks.

It's still over 1mil or ~250k a week capacity needed in June to finish off cohorts 3-7's 1st or 2nd doses.
    Definitely wouldn't want to be in charge of juggling all the figures around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

revelman wrote: »
    He said registration will open next week. It might take several more weeks until they start vaccinating them. Who knows though? There was a post earlier about a 61 year old who has already received an appointment at an MVC in Cork. Cork seems to be flying it.

MM making sure his one get looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Got my first shot this afternoon - everything was so efficient and everyone in good humour - even got my next appointment date I'll be fully vaccinated before June!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement