Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Fair play. Also Cohort 7. I rang HSE twice this week as my GP said they are vaccinating nobody after Cohort 4. First time, the HSE told me to tell my GP to refer me to them. Told my GP She said she wasn't aware of such a process but the IMO said something that there might be next week. So I rang the HSE bacl today - they said there is no such process and suggested I ask my GP to refer me to another GP.

Sorry to read we are both cohort 7 and our GP'S are making different decisions. I'm just a random person, here on Boards but here's my opinion...

GP's are being well compensated for vaccinations. By definition, you are medically high-risk during a once-a-century pandemic. If your GP knows that the HSE is telling you to be done by them, and they are not jabbing cohort 7 when you've flagged it to them, IMHO your GP is abandoning you.

Phone around, get a new GP and tell your current one why you left them. I wouldn't be shy in spreading the word about them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fair play. Also Cohort 7. I rang HSE twice this week as my GP said they are vaccinating nobody after Cohort 4. First time, the HSE told me to tell my GP to refer me to them. Told my GP She said she wasn't aware of such a process but the IMO said something that there might be next week. So I rang the HSE bacl today - they said there is no such process and suggested I ask my GP to refer me to another GP.

My wife has been referred by her GP to the HSE in what sounds like was initially suggested to you. Bizarre and lack of clarity is a but concerning. I'd be hassling the GP a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gotta love this comment from Tony Holohan:

He said "some of the scariest doctors you can ever spend time with are virologists. They start to talk to you about the potential of viruses and what they could do if they were to mutate ... I'd advise you not to spend too much time with them.". :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wow I can't believe what I watched on rte news.

Geroge Lee lying through his teeth as to what was said to him earlier today.

He says someone asked about the takeup of AstraZeneca and when people get the vaccine bonus. No George it wasn't someone asked it, it was you.

Then he said, it was decided to give the AZ vaccine bonus after 4 weeks to encourage uptake. Once again Geroge that's a lie. He was quite clearly told that the data was that the immune reposnse after 4 weeks from AZ was the same 2 weeks after J&J hence the decision.

Blood boiling that this sort of crap is being broadcast

He says someone asked about the takeup of AstraZeneca and when people get the vaccine bonus. No George it wasn't someone asked it, it was you.

Then he said, it was decided to give the AZ vaccine bonus after 4 weeks to encourage uptake. Once again Geroge that's a lie. He was quite clearly told that the data was that the immune reposnse after 4 weeks from AZ was the same 2 weeks after J&J hence the decision.

It's actually fear mongering tbh, I thought people were over the top on George and RTEs coverage until I actually watched some of it. That's an awful misrepresentation of what he was told

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's actually fear mongering tbh, I thought people were over the top on George and RTEs coverage until I actually watched some of it. That's an awful misrepresentation of what he was told

It's disgusting, the press conference is there for anyone to watch back and doesn't tally up to anything he said

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

duffman13 wrote: »
    At this stage George Lee needs to be put out to pasture. He's so poor in comparison to other journalists and is so obviously under prepared. Merchant of doom is apt for him. Hopefully those rebuttals see some airtime on the main news

That particular bit was bad yes, but no more awful than some other journalists at the briefings throughout . ( that one from the Indo for example )

He did persist with some very good questions to Tony H about 60 year olds still waiting for the vaccine .
    Note . Noone from the HSE at that briefing to take those questions .

Edit . Just heard about what he said on the news , so yes totally agree with you !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

celt262 wrote: »
    MM making sure his one get looked after.

I'm a 60 year old in Cork and I have an appointment next Friday ,

I did however go to secondary school with MM :o .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Goldengirl wrote: »
    That particular bit was bad yes, but no more awful than some other journalists at the briefings throughout . ( that one from the Indo for example )

He did persist with some very good questions to Tony H about 60 year olds still waiting for the vaccine .
    Note . Noone from the HSE at that briefing to take those questions .

George Lee completely misrepresented what NIAC and NPHET had said about Astra Zenaca and their reason behind the decision . It was disgraceful and gave a completely wrong message .

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Gotta love this comment from Tony Holohan:

He said "some of the scariest doctors you can ever spend time with are virologists. They start to talk to you about the potential of viruses and what they could do if they were to mutate ... I'd advise you not to spend too much time with them.". :D:pac:

Yes , I laughed at that but am inclined to agree after my wobbly the other night over the variants .
    That was preceded by a chat with one of those! :pac:

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    George Lee completely misrepresented what NIAC and NPHET had said about Astra Zenaca and their reason behind the decision . It was disgraceful and gave a completely wrong message .

Did he say something else on the news?

Edit . Just read stephenjmcd's comment . That is really bad ! Wonder if he'll be called out on it , I hope they do . He probably thinks it'll be forgotten about by the next briefing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Did he say something else on the news?

Yes . He decided that NIAC had made the decision about the vaccine bonus for AZ was because they were afraid the uptake would be influenced by a 12 week gap
    In fact that not at all what they said , they based it on science and information around the world
    But George knew better apparently

Did he mean the general idea behind the vaccine bonus was to encourage uptake? He does get things muddled at times.

I watched TG4 news the other evening (generally don't watch news on TV), the first 3 stories on were non covid, it's an option for people that want to avoid negativity.

Also if people genuinely feel RTE are reporting misleading or false information make a complaint to the broadcasting authority, might encourage them to hire correspondents with an actual scientific background.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Also if people genuinely feel RTE are reporting misleading or false information make a complaint to the broadcasting authority, might encourage them to hire correspondents with an actual scientific background.

RTE hire someone as their scientific correspondent that has a scientific background? That's crazy talk, what an idea! Next you'll be suggesting that they hire a sport's correspondent that has a knowledge of sport. No no, we won't be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I just found out from my GP that I'm getting my vaccine (Pfizer) on Wednesday morning, I'm 31 so quite shocked as I thought I wouldn't be getting it until June. I have an blood disorder and my GP said she put me forward to get it as part of the high risk group as I have to get regular treatment for it.

I'm delighted to say the least but a bit shocked at the same time as I had fully expected not to get anything for almost 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Which is a silly policy, is the aim to beat Covid by vaccinating the vulnerable first, or is the aim to teach a lesson and potentially push persons away from all vaccines as those persons could go into a confirmation bias bubble on social media.

Resentment is a strong feeling to be pouring oil on top

If someone walks into a restaurant when it's really busy and are told there's a wait time and then a table becomes free after 20 minutes and they say no thanks, I'd like the table by the window, and several other people waiting for a table say the same thing, do you really think they're going to entertain that? It's a table, a perfectly fine table.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Emergent BioSolutions preparing reply to FDA report on plant that bungled J&J vaccines
    Nikou Asgari in New York

The chief executive of Emergent BioSolutions has defended his company’s actions as manufacturing of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine at the company’s plant in Baltimore remains halted.

“This rapid scale of manufacturing had never been done before. We took a process that normally takes years and condensed it into months,” Robert Kramer said on a call with analysts as the company reported its first-quarter earnings.

The US Food and Drug Administration published a scathing report last week listing numerous quality control failures at the Bayview facility in Baltimore after millions of vaccine doses were ruined when workers accidentally mixed ingredients of the J&J and Oxford/AstraZeneca jabs.

Kramer hit out at reporting of the events, saying there was “a lot of misinformation about what happened at Bayview” and that he was “disappointed the situation has been reported in a way that’s eroded public trust” but said Emergent would respond to the FDA’s findings within days. He declined to say when vaccine manufacturing is expected to resume.

“The lessons learned are the importance of preparedness and how critically important that is when it comes to emerging infectious diseases,” he said, while taking full responsibility for the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

When George arrived back to RTE after his short leave of absence in Dail Eireann, he was interviewed by Sean O Rourke on his new role covering agriculture. O`Rourke`s first words were "Well George what qualifications have you for the post other than there was a vacancy"
    Every time I see him on t.v. in his present role reminds me of that.

Done, I've never done it before but it's pissed me off. Will see what comes back

• Advertisement

I have a 69 year-old relative who registered the day the portal opened. Finally got the text today for an appointment on Tuesday. Not the local vaccination centre which is opening next week, but the next closest which is fine. Relieved it finally came through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

63 yr old, got my appointment by text at 6:16 pm this evening for Tuesday @ 10:am Citywest.
    Had only discussed of with my wife after 5pm that i probably wouldn't hear anything until Tuesday at best in the belief that Admin only worked till 5pm Mon to Friday , just goes to show what i know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Skygord wrote: »
    Sorry to read we are both cohort 7 and our GP'S are making different decisions. I'm just a random person, here on Boards but here's my opinion...

GP's are being well compensated for vaccinations. By definition, you are medically high-risk during a once-a-century pandemic. If your GP knows that the HSE is telling you to be done by them, and they are not jabbing cohort 7 when you've flagged it to them, IMHO your GP is abandoning you.

Phone around, get a new GP and tell your current one why you left them. I wouldn't be shy in spreading the word about them either.

What is completely nuts is you are supposed to see your GP every six months ref: your asthma. So imagine you go down, Hi Doc, Can I have same prescription as I usually get? Yeah sure, how are things going for you? Well I am really freaked because you won't provide me the vaccine and it would probably only take you ten minutes but you also want me to give me the same ten minute talk every six months.

You also told me to get the flu vaccine and how come you were able to provide that but not the vaccine that has a better chance of keeping me out of hospital?

Surely, all those people over 70 who have you run off your feet were also getting the flu vaccine and you were able to handle that.

It's shocking to be honest.

secman wrote: »
    63 yr old, got my appointment by text at 6:16 pm this evening for Tuesday @ 10:am Citywest.
    Had only discussed of with my wife after 5pm that i probably wouldn't hear anything until Tuesday at best in the belief that Admin only worked till 5pm Mon to Friday , just goes to show what i know :)

City West seem to be flying through them. Consistently seem to be ahead if everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

City West seem to be flying through them. Consistently seem to be ahead if everywhere else

Its an ideal spot too, huge parking area, bank of portaloo's, plenty of volunteers and according to my wife, lovely staff inside the vaccination centre, she was vaccinated last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭blackcard

63 year old acquaintance getting the vaccine in Kilkenny next Tuesday also

blackcard wrote: »

Good to hear.

Hopefully my father (65) will hear shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I posted the other day that my folks had not recieved their appointments. Update on that is that my Mother is getting her vaccination on Monday, my Father who is 69 still hasn't heard anything.
    The funny thing is my Mother's appointment is in Athlone which is.an hour away as apposed to.the local MVC which is 20 minutes away. Still glad to get it and would have travelled anywhere for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

blackcard wrote: »

Cork can beat ye all. City hall now scheduling appointments 60 year olds next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

revelman wrote: »
    Cork can beat ye all. City hall now scheduling appointments 60 year olds next week :)

They're not doing it in order of age. It's random selection within the group of 60-69.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement