Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

They're not doing it in order of age. It's random selection within the group of 60-69.

Not sure that is true. There are some MVCs that still seem to be exclusively doing 65-69 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Anyone know of anyone that got an appointment for Punchestown. They were supposed to be up and running from last Wednesday but I haven’t heard anyone mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Got my first dose of Pfizer yesterday. I’m 32. Woke up with a blocked nose. Otherwise no other side effects

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's actually fear mongering tbh, I thought people were over the top on George and RTEs coverage until I actually watched some of it. That's an awful misrepresentation of what he was told
    It's not entirely. Yes, he's clearly terrified of the thing but he has struggled at times to get a handle on his brief so to speak. Then again, he is not alone in the media in performing poorly on this.

RTE hire someone as their scientific correspondent that has a scientific background? That's crazy talk, what an idea! Next you'll be suggesting that they hire a sport's correspondent that has a knowledge of sport. No no, we won't be doing that.
    It's a 5 year contract for correspondent posts. If nobody else wants that job they carry on, otherwise it's a competition for the position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

They're not doing it in order of age. It's random selection within the group of 60-69.

It may be but I know good few people that have gone for in it Cork and they have largely been notified chronologically and I don’t know Anyone that is still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Chap in work proudly telling me he is getting his vaccine next week

And not only that . It's Pfizer

Can only laugh :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No i dont think it is . In my group of friends it was more or less by age for each MVC
    You might be slower in one than the other but very unlikely to be random in the same MVC

The vaccine snobbery makes me really cross . I blame the mixed messaging and poor communication about the vaccines

That he's getting one is to celebrated! People are human and they've built their own mental picture of the vaccine landscape. Many people would love the J&J one shot and done, the two mRNAs at 4 weeks are equally attractive and that 12 week AZ wait is just a drag.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    That he's getting one is to celebrated! People are human and they've built their own mental picture of the vaccine landscape. Many people would love the J&J one shot and done, the two mRNAs at 4 weeks are equally attractive and that 12 week AZ wait is just a drag.

Tony Holohan confirmed yesterday that you are considered fully vaccinated and on par with Pfizer. four weeks after Dose 1 of Az

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

What is so funny?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Tony Holohan confirmed yesterday that you are considered fully vaccinated and on par with Pfizer. four weeks after Dose 1 of Az
    It doesn't mean that people are not going to think that Pfizer is better but as long as they have a shot in the arm who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Because ?

Interesting article about the rollout in France, including a quote from a GP saying that he had to throw away AZ vials because they were being unused. If there are vaccines sitting in warehouses elsewhere in Europe, it is such a pity they can’t be redirected here (or perhaps to places like India where the need is great).

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-coronavirus-vaccine-glut/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

got my vaccine on thursday. besides random tiredness and a sore arm i'm feeling good. hooray!!!

got the Pfizer jab:)

km79 wrote: »
    Because ?

Because it’s like saying after an accident:

“An ambulance came to save my life”

“And not only that, the ambulance was manufactured by Mercedes”

I get the excitement about the first. But I’d be just as happy if the ambulance was manufactured by Fiat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The vaccine snobbery makes me really cross . I blame the mixed messaging and poor communication about the vaccines

Agree. And as the others above have said, George Lee's mis-communication of the facts to suit RTE/George's agenda/misunderstanding/whatever is extremely dangerous. Portraying the AZ 4 week after dose 1 as a "sweetener" is not just inaccurate, it is factually incorrect. I heard the AZ 1st dose as being the "suite of armour", and the 2nd dose as "the last few nuts and bolts", but the second dose is only needed for that final (tiny) boost to the immunity. THIS HAS NOT BEEN REPORTED ONCE BY RTE.

I always like hearing Luke O'Neill on with Pat Kenny, since day 1 of the rollout he has banged the drum of "all these vaccines are great, they are all 100% effective against death, serious illness and hospitalisation". But this doesn't suit RTE's doom merchants who seem to have a different agenda.

I just don't get it. The J&J is by far the most appealing to me. Not alone is it 1-dose, it is also efficacious against the South African variant - something Pfizer is not, but that seems to have been lost on George and the other mis-guided 6-one disciples.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

it is also efficacious against the South African variant - something Pfizer is not

?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A neighbour got a call out of the blue from her doctor at 930 to be down for 1015. Late 50's may be in a group, getting Pfizer

Other neighbour 61 who I helped register online the other day asking me is there a way to formally reject AZ, doubt he'll be going to an MVC

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Don't really have an issue with people telling me what vaccine they are getting or got. I think it's a topic of conversation and really shows people want vaccines ASAP which is fantastic. Even it is a bit of vaccine snobbery, long term Pfizer seems to be the one the majority get so it may actually help uptake in the long run.

It just needs to be balanced with AZ/JJ are excellent vaccines. Most of the over 50s in my circle are expecting one of the above and just want it ASAP. You will get some snobbery but that's human nature unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Turtwig wrote: »
    ?????

Point proven........have a Google. I think George, David, Caitriona and Dee have shares in Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Turtwig wrote: »
    ?????

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/south-african-variant-may-break-through-pfizer-vaccine-protection-vaccine-highly-2021-04-18/

It's still highly effective but more likely to breakthrough than other strains. But effective nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

My mam got her second shot this morning. In and out of The Helix in 15 minutes. That's two out of three grandparents fully vaccinated with the last one half way there. Extraordinary, when you think where we were this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Point proven........have a Google. I think George, David, Caitriona and Dee have shares in Pfizer.

I want your opinion and your take. Not Google's which could be anything. What are you basing the idea that the PB isn't efficacious against the SA variant on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

There seems to be a large dose of inverted snobbery on here with posters mocking people who want a more efficacious vaccine.

I'm at a higher risk of covid than others my age, so I'll very happily take anyone of them that's offered, but if given a choice i would definitely favour Pfizer or moderna over the others.

There seems to be a large dose of inverted snobbery on here with posters mocking people who want a more efficacious vaccine.

I'm at a higher risk of covid than others my age, so I'll very happily take anyone of them that's offered, but if given a choice i would definitely favour Pfizer or moderna over the others.

Which one is more efficacious ? I think it not helpful with people gloating they got one or the other ,There are many here 60-69 just delighted to be vaccinated , they dont need to hear one is inferior or one is better in my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I won't take AZ if it's offered to me

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Which one is more efficacious ? I think it not helpful with people gloating they got one or the other ,There are many here 60-69 just delighted to be vaccinated , they dont need to hear one is inferior or one is better in my opinion .

The one you get the quickest......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

People fighting on here over different Covid vaccines. Get over yourselves, lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement