Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

revelman wrote: »
    Because it’s like saying after an accident:

“An ambulance came to save my life”

“And not only that, the ambulance was manufactured by Mercedes”

I get the excitement about the first. But I’d be just as happy if the ambulance was manufactured by Fiat.

Best analogy on the thread yet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

When I went in to get my vaccine yesterday I was handed some info about side affects - seemingly all of them have the same potential side affects - I got Pfizer I felt nauseous and headachy with a mildly sore arm. Still feeling a bit tired but taking it easy. The OH got AZ felt tired, headachy and heavy limbed slept for most of the second day. Is back to normal now. He is over 60 and cohort 4. I'm over 50 and cohort 7.

I would have taken any vaccine and I feel lucky to have my first shot behind me already. It's a great thing. I do not understand the snobbery associated with the choice of vaccine - go online read the list of side affects both almost identical. If you thought too long about 1 in a million disasters you wouldn't take any vaccine, all are approved but this programme had to be expedient because Covid is a ****er of a disease and can kill you quicker.

My advice take the first vaccine you're offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pretzill wrote: »
    When I went in to get my vaccine yesterday I was handed some info about side affects - seemingly all of them have the same potential side affects - I got Pfizer I felt nauseous and headachy with a mildly sore arm. Still feeling a bit tired but taking it easy. The OH got AZ felt tired, headachy and heavy limbed slept for most of the second day. Is back to normal now. He is over 60 and cohort 4. I'm over 50 and cohort 7.

I would have taken any vaccine and I feel lucky to have my first shot behind me already. It's a great thing. I do not understand the snobbery associated with the choice of vaccine - go online read the list of side affects both almost identical. If you thought too long about 1 in a million disasters you wouldn't take any vaccine, all are approved but this programme had to be expedient because Covid is a ****er of a disease and can kill you quicker.

My advice take the first vaccine you're offered.
    They should probably push the message that you are considered vaccinated with AZ after four weeks, a lot harder. 12 weeks seems a whole lot longer even if it's really a booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

is_that_so wrote: »
    They should probably push the message that you are considered vaccinated with AZ after four weeks, a lot harder. 12 weeks seems a whole lot longer even if it's really a booster.

It does, if you're following the rules - many will do what they want regardless but I think people are reticent to take AZ mainly because of the scaremongering around the clotting issue - it doesn't take much to put people off, it's just if everyone could see that getting covid could be even deadlier (clotting in the same way) and having us all protected with the vaccine will rid us of this pandemic - it's way passed time lives had some normality - that's the positivity in the centres and GP's when this programme is going on - as usual people can be selfish rather than seeing the greater good.

Pretzill wrote: »
    It does, if you're following the rules - many will do what they want regardless but I think people are reticent to take AZ mainly because of the scaremongering around the clotting issue - it doesn't take much to put people off, it's just if everyone could see that getting covid could be even deadlier (clotting in the same way) and having us all protected with the vaccine will rid us of this pandemic - it's way passed time lives had some normality - that's the positivity in the centres and GP's when this programme is going on - as usual people can be selfish rather than seeing the greater good.
    We do seem to have a very good level of put whatever it is into my arm. That's not to say people don't have personal issues with some vaccines. I tend to leave them to it as whatever opinion they have is somewhat irrelevant. Some will be accommodated with other vaccines down the line but its important not to lose sight of the prize - as many vaccinated as we can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

See the government has issues here. You may be fully vaccinated at 4 weeks according to them, but if you want to travel to Europe this summer, no one else will say you’re fully vaccinated until you’ve had both doses. If we’re opening up in July per se, getting AZ is a disaster, especially if the EU come in with the vaccination cards. For instance if I’m a 30 year old nurse who got AZ the weekend before they decided it wasn’t safe for me to get it, I couldn’t travel anywhere in Europe until mid September when I have had both doses. As a prime example look at Finland, I couldn’t go there until I had both doses.

Basically ireland is changing the rules to suit themselves on it as it’s pretty clear people are hesitant about it. But if people are able to go on holidays while I’m stuck in Ireland, I would be pissed off. The same would apply to 50-70 cohort as well too. Obviously if no one travels it’s not a concern, but optimistic people could see their summers washed away because they’re getting AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My mother got Pfizer first dose 4 weeks ago. Got a card saying 2nd dose today. We realised during week that there is no time on it. And she has got no text. We've been onto HSE during the week and all we got was "wait for the text". Today's the day and still no text. So we are going out on spec at the same time (because she sort of recalls the nurse that gave her the first one saying same time), and hope for the best.

But it's frustrating that the HSE helpline, though they could "confirm" that no text went out, couldn't confirm the appointment time today. All they could offer to do was initiate a new appointment request - which we declined for now in the hope that today works out.

I am open to correction but have yet to hear anyone who got any satisfaction or help from that HSE helpline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Nobody knows what the EU passport rules will be.
    I can 100% see them being the same as the government guidelines.

You're as protected 4 weeks after 1 AZ as you are with J&J.
    Hard to see any laws requiring 2 AZ doses standing in court.

Nobody knows what the EU passport rules will be.
    I can 100% see them being the same as the government guidelines.

You're as protected 4 weeks after 1 AZ as you are with J&J.
    Hard to see any laws requiring 2 AZ doses standing in court.
    They are aimed at allowing people to travel in much larger numbers this summer, something the Med needs! Negative PCR will do the trick as well.

ddarcy wrote: »
    See the government has issues here. You may be fully vaccinated at 4 weeks according to them, but if you want to travel to Europe this summer, no one else will say you’re fully vaccinated until you’ve had both doses. If we’re opening up in July per se, getting AZ is a disaster, especially if the EU come in with the vaccination cards. For instance if I’m a 30 year old nurse who got AZ the weekend before they decided it wasn’t safe for me to get it, I couldn’t travel anywhere in Europe until mid September when I have had both doses. As a prime example look at Finland, I couldn’t go there until I had both doses.

Basically ireland is changing the rules to suit themselves on it as it’s pretty clear people are hesitant about it. But if people are able to go on holidays while I’m stuck in Ireland, I would be pissed off. The same would apply to 50-70 cohort as well too. Obviously if no one travels it’s not a concern, but optimistic people could see their summers washed away because they’re getting AZ.

Fair point, but really, in the greater scheme of things and given what we’ve all been through, worldwide pandemic, probably a one in a hundred year event, etc etc., is having to delay a summer holiday such a big deal ? I know on an individual level there will be cases where it’s for a funeral, wedding etc and be important, but as a whole I think it’s a small price to pay tbh. If it’s that important, they can get a negative test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am open to correction but have yet to hear anyone who got any satisfaction or help from that HSE helpline

The annoyance is that they can take the pps number, identify the person due the vaccine, confirm that they can see the person got vaccinated 4 weeks ago at the Helix, confirm whether a second text has issued or not (not), but not tell you the time of your appointment today. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The annoyance is that they can take the pps number, identify the person due the vaccine, confirm that they can see the person got vaccinated 4 weeks ago at the Helix, confirm whether a second text has issued or not (not), but not tell you the time of your appointment today. Crazy stuff.

I would just turn up at the time of last vaccine and tell them you got no time and no information from the hotline

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Parents and sibling now both double dosed with the vaccine :D
    Just little old me now waiting on a vaccine in my immediate family!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

The Granny got her second dose yesterday, nice knowing I’ll be able to have dinner in hers without killing her soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Russman wrote: »
    Fair point, but really, in the greater scheme of things and given what we’ve all been through, worldwide pandemic, probably a one in a hundred year event, etc etc., is having to delay a summer holiday such a big deal ? I know on an individual level there will be cases where it’s for a funeral, wedding etc and be important, but as a whole I think it’s a small price to pay tbh. If it’s that important, they can get a negative test.

Although it was pointed out by someone on the news last night that large numbers of people might have very valid reasons to wanting to travel to another country outside of simply going on a city break or vacation i.e. visiting parents, children, partner etc for the first time in many months, maybe over a year, plus work, career, study related stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I got my Pfizer shot yesterday at 4 PM at the GP I was told to go back for the second one on the 28th May at the same time. So I'd imagine that is the case with your mother, just show up at 3 PM.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Just got a text to say my 2nd AZ vaccine dose has been moved back to its 12 week from 1st dose date.

Happy with that, the 16 week gap was unnecessary and not much info about the effects of pushing it out to 16 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just got a text to say my 2nd AZ vaccine dose has been moved back to its 12 week from 1st dose date.

Happy with that, the 16 week gap was unnecessary and not much info about the effects of pushing it out to 16 weeks.

That's good to hear, I wonder if they'll push the J&J/AZ age limits down as we work through the cohorts, under 30 looks doubtful, but would help a lot in the 30/40+ groups (or at least simplify the logistics).

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Russman wrote: »

There is another issue as well that they are seeing in the US. That is a lack of take up of the second dose. If I’ve had AZ and am now being told I’m “fully vaccinated” now, they can feck right off of they think I’ll do that again. I’d say the take up of the second dose will diminish.

Quite frankly Tony and the band of idiots at NPHET and the NIAC need to resign immediately. We’ll see if I’m wrong but I suspect there too be issues here with the “bonus” going forward and magically you’ll have to have two doses to be fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

astrofool wrote: »
    That's good to hear, I wonder if they'll push the J&J/AZ age limits down as we work through the cohorts, under 30 looks doubtful, but would help a lot in the 30/40+ groups (or at least simplify the logistics).

Yes the text said 'in line with the latest HSE guidelines'. I wasn't aware that any further guidelines had been issued within the last day or so but obviously something has changed!

I had heard in work that the 16 weeks had as much to do with shortages of AZ as it did with clotting concerns but that was never officially said.

• Advertisement

The portal for 59-55 year olds opens on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Strazdas wrote: »
    The portal for 59-55 year olds opens on Tuesday.

Good to hear.

Where did you see that if you don't mind me asking? Hadn't seen the actual day of opening mentioned yet

Edit: Never mind just found it deep in an RTE article

Strazdas wrote: »
    Although it was pointed out by someone on the news last night that large numbers of people might have very valid reasons to wanting to travel to another country outside of simply going on a city break or vacation i.e. visiting parents, children, partner etc for the first time in many months, maybe over a year, plus work, career, study related stuff.

Oh I agree, but I think a lot of it boils down to us all having to temper our expectations a little. This time last year if we’d been told in a years time there’ll be a vaccine but it’ll be two doses 12 weeks apart, we’d have bitten the arm off whoever was offering that.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

The RTE article states that 240,000 could be vaccinated next week. Let’s say one quarter of those are second doses (going on Thursday’s figures), this could mean 180k first doses next week.

Thursday’s figures had us at 1,097,742 first doses given out overall. Let’s say yesterday tracks similar to Thursday. That gives us an extra 30k first doses. Let’s say, conservatively, we have 20k first doses done over weekend. Going into next week, we might have something like 1.14million first doses.

Add my estimate of 180k first does next week and next weekend we could be looking at 1.32million first doses given out. Using the semi-serious blog estimate of a population of 3,863,147 over 16 years of age, this would mean that next weekend, we might have over 34% of those over 16 with a first dose. Over a third!

These are back of the envelope calculations but humour me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Paul Reid says a record 44k doses yesterday.

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1388485462310985731?s=19

Good to hear.

Where did you see that if you don't mind me asking? Hadn't seen the actual day of opening mentioned yet

Edit: Never mind just found it deep in an RTE article

It was on the lunchtime news too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Paul Reid says a record 44k doses yesterday.

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1388485462310985731?s=19

Good stuff. Hopefully we can get that and more a day in not too distant future if supply is there.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Good stuff. Hopefully we can get that and more a day in not too distant future if supply is there.
    450K a day is about 65K a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

450K a day is about 65K a day.

450k a week? When is that planned for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

Eod100 wrote: »
    450k a week? When is that planned for?

I believe 450k per week is the proposed vaccine rate (subject to supply) for the month of June.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement