Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

I do have this nagging doubt that the regulatory bodies are reacting to get ahead of the anti-vaxxers who will leap on any individual case rather than purely on the data. I hope its not the case

And of course the anti-vaxxers will perceive suspension for review as an indication of culpability as opposed to demonstrating how serious they're taking safety by stopping the entire rollout based on what is still a very minuscule number of cases per capita.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

So USA vaccinated more than the whole of Ireland with J+j (6.8 million doses) and 1 women died... maybe from the vaccine, maybe not.
    The world is gone mad. Is it a pandemic or not?
    If it is, they should vaccinate us... I’m seriously starting to think the conspiracy theorists are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

All six recipients were women between the ages of 18 and 48, and the symptoms occurred six to 13 days after vaccination.
    and that from over 6 million doses.

so it sounds almost identical to the rare issues with AZ .

Can they not just vaccinate >50s and get some progress on the matter. I'd still take J+J tomorrow if offered. Actually, if there was a dose waiting in the local vaccination centre I'd go there now this minute for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭brickster69

J&J is the other non profit one along with AZ

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The people that need to hear this won't hear it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

They want to keep up locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

It will probably turn out that they messed up the contract in some way like they did with AZ and are using questionable safety concerns as a smokescreen.

Review to last “a matter of days” according to FDA commissioner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Why not let us make our own minds up, on both AZ and J&J? 1 death in 6m cases I'd take my chances but I'd fully respect somebody who won't take that chance

I see Peter Marks is one of the FDA physicians on the call - they are trolling those looking for a haircut.

Interesting listening - one of the themes seems to be to give time to get information out on diagnosis and treatment of adverse events and will only be a matter of days

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just caught the last part of the statements there, thought I heard them say that.

They don't sound too concerned. Seems to be more so that they can update the advice to clinicians around it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If that's all it is then that's not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Why not let us make our own minds up, on both AZ and J&J? 1 death in 6m cases I'd take my chances but I'd fully respect somebody who won't take that chance

Yep, we're soon going to have to move to a "Hands up who wants it". I'll take it - 1 death in 6m, I like those odds. Probably similar to the odds of me being knocked down by a car when I walk out of my house in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I see Peter Marks is one of the FDA physicians on the call - they are trolling those looking for a haircut.

Interesting listening - one of the themes seems to be to give time to get information out on diagnosis and treatment of adverse events and will only be a matter of days

Yeah thats what I'm gathering from it. Seems to be an emphasis on ensuring the correct clinical guidance is in place

They seem to be taking the pause to simply advise treatment and diagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

NPHET licking their lips, anything to keep them relevant and the payday accumulating. Between AZ and J&J meeting unwarranted scepticism, we're losing weeks if not months of our summer. Depressing beyond measure.

Yes, because they'd all be on the dole without this pandemic....

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

In the name of god, the EU/Irish vaccine rollout really is the gift that keeps on giving in terms of how messy its been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

NPHET licking their lips, anything to keep them relevant and the payday accumulating. Between AZ and J&J meeting unwarranted scepticism, we're losing weeks if not months of our summer. Depressing beyond measure.

What payday?

they get paid regardless of whether we are in lockdown or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Didn't something similar happen with EMA?

Advice was updated to reflect rare risks of blood clots

Yet NIAC and other countries regulatory bodies then stopped use for a variety of ages in our case 16-60 and 70+

What is wrong with these US journalists - not one question on weddings yet

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bye bye summer

We're in a worse position with the vaccines than we were without them

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bye bye summer

Bizarre

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bye bye summer

Good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Sure until a few days ago we weren't expecting J&J until the 19th anyway. It's just disappointing because it was brought forward and then suspended. We'll get it next week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jvoom500

Perhaps a stupid question - I'm a healthcare worker, young, no underlying conditions. I received my first dose of AstraZeneca a few weeks ago and worked out, with the 12 week gap, I'd get my second the last week of May. Now that the gap has been extended to 16 weeks, that'll mean my second dose is now end of June/early July - but I won't be in the country by then ... lol? I'm emigrating early June. Is it a possibility to request my second dose at the initial 12 week mark? Otherwise... it was kind of a "waste" of a dose?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Why would they give you another vaccine at 12 weeks when you're gone less than a month later?

That's a waste of a second vaccine dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Furze99 wrote: »
    We're a first world country with first world expectations. If there is a choice of vaccines on the market and questions marks over some, clearly we should avoid those latter. That's a reasonable position to hold. Of course, supply comes into it but there's a price on everything.
    Supply is the key issue though. Decisions are being made as if we have an abundance of vaccine doses from which to choose but that is not the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement