Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ddarcy wrote: »
    Yeah I got f*cling floored with it. I mean I had the sore arm and other minor things like chills, tiredness and a headache (which was kind of expected, usually get a sore arm with the flu jab) but that was nothing in comparison to the other symptoms.

To indicate how bad it was i filed an adverse event report on it and it’s officially now been logged by the HPRA as being serious after their investigation. In fairness the NIAC afterwards put their age restrictions in so I could be the straw that broke the back per se…

It sounds like the vaccine strongly disagreed with you for some reason. You were one of the very unlucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

In France from June 15th anyone over 18 can book a vaccine.

Maybe a bigger increase coming from Pfizer than currently known?

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    In France from June 15th anyone over 18 can book a vaccine.

Maybe a bigger increase coming from Pfizer than currently known?

Vaccine hesitancy is very high in France, they might expect to be able to offer it to all ages sooner due to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The statement from Tony Holohan saying that ""The evidence is very clear that the first dose of AstraZeneca is giving, broadly speaking after a period of four weeks, a similar level of protection to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.", confirms how poor the protection from the J&J vaccine is. The fact that the first dose of the AZ vaccine offers the same protection as the only dose of the J&J vaccine, with a second dose of the AZ vaccine still be be administered, makes me question why the the single dose J&J vaccine was considered at all. The fact that the J&J vaccine with its much lower efficacy rate is now to be used almost exclusively on the highest risk remaining age cohort(50-59) seems bizarre, especially when in all likelihood, many of the 20-29 cohort will not attend for their second shots of the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines having been told they are at low risk from the virus and that most of the vaccine protection stems from the first shot.

The first shot of the Pfizer, Moderna or now the AZ vaccines, all provide similar protection to the final level of protection offered by the single shot J&J vaccine, yet the Pfizer, Moderna and AZ vaccines all require a second dose to significantly raise their total efficacy, so how can you say that the AZ vaccine gives the same protection as the J&J vaccine, yet then say that people should still get the second AZ jab(to get the higher level of protection), yet be satisfied with the lower level of protection offered by the J&J ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

heyjude wrote: »
    The statement from Tony Holohan saying that ""The evidence is very clear that the first dose of AstraZeneca is giving, broadly speaking after a period of four weeks, a similar level of protection to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.", confirms how poor the protection from the J&J vaccine is. The fact that the first dose of the AZ vaccine offers the same protection as the only dose of the J&J vaccine, with a second dose of the AZ vaccine still be be administered, makes me question why the the single dose J&J vaccine was considered at all. The fact that the J&J vaccine with its much lower efficacy rate is now to be used almost exclusively on the highest risk remaining age cohort(50-59) seems bizarre, especially when in all likelihood, many of the 20-29 cohort will not attend for their second shots of the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines having been told they are at low risk from the virus and that most of the vaccine protection stems from the first shot.

The first shot of the Pfizer, Moderna or now the AZ vaccines, all provide similar protection to the final level of protection offered by the single shot J&J vaccine, yet the Pfizer, Moderna and AZ vaccines all require a second dose to significantly raise their total efficacy, so how can you say that the AZ vaccine gives the same protection as the J&J vaccine, yet then say that people should still get the second AZ jab(to get the higher level of protection), yet be satisfied with the lower level of protection offered by the J&J ?

I don’t think that’s a correct interpretation of the levels of protection at all tbh. As far as I know all the vaccines offer almost complete protection against serious disease and/or hospitalisation.
    My understanding is that the trials were all run differently and the efficacy results can’t really be compared as it’s a bit like apples and oranges.
    I’m sure others will be along to explain in more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The statement from Tony Holohan saying that ""The evidence is very clear that the first dose of AstraZeneca is giving, broadly speaking after a period of four weeks, a similar level of protection to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.", confirms how poor the protection from the J&J vaccine is.
    It's not "poor", both vaccines provide good protection against severe Covid.

J&J was tested in large phase 3 trials as a single-dose vaccine only. The others were tested as two-dose vaccines. Seeing as there were multiple good vaccines already, it made sense for J&J to try and see if they could achieve similar protection with a single dose. There's nothing stopping us giving a booster injection for J&J some time in the future if protection levels look they are waning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭plodder

"Don't let the best be the enemy of the good" because the good is good enough to get us back to normal as quickly as possible and it is much better than you seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

People who get the J&J vaccine will most likely end up being recommended to get a booster dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭josip

ddarcy wrote: »
    See the government has issues here. You may be fully vaccinated at 4 weeks according to them, but if you want to travel to Europe this summer, no one else will say you’re fully vaccinated until you’ve had both doses. If we’re opening up in July per se, getting AZ is a disaster, especially if the EU come in with the vaccination cards. For instance if I’m a 30 year old nurse who got AZ the weekend before they decided it wasn’t safe for me to get it, I couldn’t travel anywhere in Europe until mid September when I have had both doses. As a prime example look at Finland, I couldn’t go there until I had both doses.

Finland only require you to have 1 dose.

https://www.finnair.com/ie-en/flight-information/travel-updates/travelling-to-finland-2166346
    As of 11 May 2021, we accept a coronavirus vaccination certificate for all coronavirus vaccines approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) or the European Medical Agency (EMA). You need to have received the vaccination latest 21 days before the travel date.
    One dose of vaccine is sufficient for the certificate...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

JPup wrote: »
    People who get the J&J vaccine will most likely end up being recommended to get a booster dose.

Presumably a booster dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines that they won't allow the same people to have in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Presumably a booster dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines that they won't allow the same people to have in the first place

The group that get AZ or J&J can also get Pfizer or Moderna.
    Pfizer and Moderna are not banned for 50-69 like you make out.
    There's been plenty of people 50-69 who have had and are receiving and will receive Pfizer or Moderna, along side AZ and J&J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Strazdas wrote: »
    Although it was pointed out by someone on the news last night that large numbers of people might have very valid reasons to wanting to travel to another country outside of simply going on a city break or vacation i.e. visiting parents, children, partner etc for the first time in many months, maybe over a year, plus work, career, study related stuff.

My dad lives in the UK. My sister lives with him. My grandparents live there, my aunties uncles nieces nephews cousins all live in the UK it’s been over a year and a half. It’s f***ing torture. I’m not going on a summer holiday. All I want to do is see my family and then go back to college in September. The infatuation with going to a dodgy Spanish resort for ten days is absolutely infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Does anyone know if you can cancel a registration online, or do you have to phone. My wife registered online, but an hour later got a call from our GP to call up and get the jab. Done & dusted now. Just don't want to waste an appointment somebody could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

For a couple whose age at registration will be 54 & 50 which vaccine are they most likely to receive as things stand at the moment?

Does anyone know if you can cancel a registration online, or do you have to phone. My wife registered online, but an hour later got a call from our GP to call up and get the jab. Done & dusted now. Just don't want to waste an appointment somebody could use.

Phone the helpline, they're open every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For a couple whose age at registration will be 54 & 50 which vaccine are they most likely to receive as things stand at the moment?
    It's not clear yet. It could be J&J or AZ or one of all 4. They will confirm this next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Qrt wrote: »
    My dad lives in the UK. My sister lives with him. My grandparents live there, my aunties uncles nieces nephews cousins all live in the UK it’s been over a year and a half. It’s f***ing torture. I’m not going on a summer holiday. All I want to do is see my family and then go back to college in September. The infatuation with going to a dodgy Spanish resort for ten days is absolutely infuriating.

Me too . My daughter is in the UK and I haven’t seen her since February 2020 . She used to pop over every 6 weeks or so and I miss her terribly . I just want to see her .Both she and I had one dose of AZ and my husband Pfizer . I just want clarity now .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Strazdas wrote: »
    That's good to hear. We've heard lots of anecdotes online about people feeling under the weather after their first AZ dose, but according to that Lancet study, this might be greatly overstated.....it seems only about 20% of people had 'any' sort of side effect after receiving the vaccine (meaning 80% were fine and had no problems at all).

My mother and my.partner's mother both got the AZ jab this week. Both in their 60s, both vulnerable.

Neither had a single side effect. My partner's mother was a bit chilly the next day, but I reckon that was just from not having the heating on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

45,000 vaccinated on Friday indicates to me that we can probably do 1/4 million in a week. Neither I or any of my extended family work with HSE but this is definitely good and augurs well for the next eight or nine weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Me too . My daughter is in the UK and I haven’t seen her since February 2020 . She used to pop over every 6 weeks or so and I miss her terribly . I just want to see her .Both she and I had one dose of AZ and my husband Pfizer . I just want clarity now .

The clarity is no unnecessary international travel with a reopening date of late summer (probably August, well after both of your second doses).

Probably not the answer you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Go and see her, you have all been vaccinated. There is an element on here suffering from Stockholm syndrome, they never want normality to return. You may have to restrict you movements on your return, but sure there’s not much to do here anyway.

Maybe take a couple of weeks in the Uk as almost everything is back open from the 17th of may.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Go and see her, you have all been vaccinated. There is an element on here suffering from Stockholm syndrome, they never want normality to return. You may have to restrict you movements on your return, but sure there’s not much to do here anyway.

Maybe take a couple of weeks in the Uk as almost everything is back open from the 17th of may.

I have commitments here .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I have commitments here .

Can she come here?

All parties have played by the rules for the last 14/15 months. All parties have been vaccinated. Vulnerable people have been vaccinated. That’s what we were asked to do.

I fail to see how her visiting you is any more risky than a Dub visiting their parents in Donegal.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Can she come here?

l.

Yes, soon hopefully when travel is allowed with negative test and fully vaccinated .Which is why we need clarity on the AZ . Thank goodness for whatapp and facetime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just a quick question - the EMA has authorised Pfizer for ages 16+. But anything I read in Ireland talks about ages 18+ for vaccination.
    Will Ireland work it's way down to Age 16 based on current EMA approval ?
    (I know Pfizer have applied to EMA for Ages 12-15)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just a quick question - the EMA has authorised Pfizer for ages 16+. But anything I read in Ireland talks about ages 18+ for vaccination.
    Will Ireland work it's way down to Age 16 ?

I think it's 16 for specific medical conditions but hasn't been approved for 18-16 other than that yet. But am open to correction!

Yes, soon hopefully when travel is allowed with negative test and fully vaccinated .Which is why we need clarity on the AZ . Thank goodness for whatapp and facetime

If you waiting for the approval from this thread you may never see her again.

In your shoes, I would welcome her home tomorrow. Everyone involved has been vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

HSE's cautious target of 140-160k doses has been broken already this week.

About 167k doses administered since Monday, with more numbers to be added in from previous days and weekend numbers still to come, we could well hit 200k for the week!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cUZy6AMCwuA2zhtRuKK7cqMVgmhdDsGsZrFWJTkw9DY/edit#gid=502588836

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement