Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think it's 16 for specific medical conditions but hasn't been approved for 18-16 other than that yet. But am open to correction!

By the EMA or Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

SusanC10 wrote: »
    By the EMA or Ireland ?

Sorry meant Ireland.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Sorry meant Ireland.

That's what I was afraid of. If the EMA has approved it generally for Age 16+ but Ireland has restricted it's use to Age 18+ except with certain medical conditions, then what will Ireland do when EMA approves use in Ages 12-15?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭giveitholly

We got something like 16,000 doses of the J and J vaccine for April,How come none of them have been used yet? Is it down to the logistics after NIAC's recommendations? Surely they should be used by now

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

We got something like 16,000 doses of the J and J vaccine for April,How come none of them have been used yet? Is it down to the logistics after NIAC's recommendations? Surely they should be used by now

The HSE's new rollout plan is due early this week and should give a clearer picture of how the J and J will be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Anxiety about getting the vaccine found to be cause of many reported physical side-effects. Anxious people (and they can be anyone) are also influenced by what they hear and read on media and social media.

The report also says that people who are anxious in general about vaccines/needles are gravitating towards the J&J vaccine in the US, and as a consequence it is seeing a higher reported numbers of these reactions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/vaccine-reactions-5-states-caused-anxiety-cdc-finds-n1265979

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

irishlad. wrote: »
    HSE's cautious target of 140-160k doses has been broken already this week.

About 167k doses administered since Monday, with more numbers to be added in from previous days and weekend numbers still to come, we could well hit 200k for the week!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cUZy6AMCwuA2zhtRuKK7cqMVgmhdDsGsZrFWJTkw9DY/edit#gid=502588836

I have a feeling that Cohort 4 is going to at least double in size. The number of anecdotes I have heard of people plaguing their GP/Consultant and them just caving in and putting them in Cohort 4 just to get them to stop calling is significant.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Cohort 4 is going to at least double in size. The number of anecdotes I have heard of people plaguing their GP/Consultant and them just caving in and putting them in Cohort 4 just to get them to stop calling is significant.

Really?
    I thought that you had to have very specific conditions to be considered Cohort 4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

These are probably the most anxious people, all the doom on tv is playing on their mental health, I’ve no problem with them getting a jab a few weeks before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

That's what I was afraid of. If the EMA has approved it generally for Age 16+ but Ireland has restricted it's use to Age 18+ except with certain medical conditions, then what will Ireland do when EMA approves use in Ages 12-15?

I suspect there will be a secondary school based vaccination programme early in the next school year once it has been approved for ages 12 and up and once all adults have been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It will reduce the numbers in Cohort 7 then so it won’t make a huge difference in the end
    Having said that no GP should bow under pressure from anyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Ireland is not restricting use to 18+. Those aged 16 and 17, even without medical conditions, will be vaccinated most likely with Pfizer. The confusion is caused by the use of the word "adult" or "18+" in some documents, both are incorrect, should say "16 and over".

Ireland has the largest under 16 population in Europe. The vaccination of children matters even more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

JPup wrote: »
    I suspect there will be a secondary school based vaccination programme early in the next school year once it has been approved for ages 12 and up and once all adults have been vaccinated.

Why wait for schools to reopen?

EMA expected to approve Pfizer for 12-15 year olds in June. If 82% of adults have their first dose by 30 June, then we should be able to vaccinate 12-15 year olds in July and have those fully vaccinated before school reopens.

JPup wrote: »

Well, hopefully they will also offer the vaccination to 12 year olds in 5th/6th Class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

So are cohorts 4 & 7 completely separate from the age based rollout ? I realise they’re all dependent on supply, but what I mean is that they’re being done independent of the age categories, and if supply was sufficient, we could see the 60s, 50s, 40s etc being done whilst cohort 7 was still being completed ?

JTMan wrote: »

EMA expected to approve Pfizer for 12-15 year olds in June. If 82% of adults have their first dose by 30 June, then we should be able to vaccinate 12-15 year olds in July and have those fully vaccinated before school reopens.

Exactly. Really hope that they do this.

Completely. No point in pausing and maybe losing momentum, keep lashing it into all the arms we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Russman wrote: »
    So are cohorts 4 & 7 completely separate from the age based rollout ? I realise they’re all dependent on supply, but what I mean is that they’re being done independent of the age categories, and if supply was sufficient, we could see the 60s, 50s, 40s etc being done whilst cohort 7 was still being completed ?

Pretty much, at the moment we have cohorts 3,4,5 and 7 running together. That will continue into May, along with 50's and then 40's.

When should people aged 45-49 expect to get their 1st dose ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I wouldn't say wait for schools to open but July as I've said before would seem to soon I think. Firstly we've the uncertainty over J&J, we could need much more Pfizer than had been anticipated for older age groups.

Secondly currently the plan is to be on 25-34 in July. We'd then have the 16-24 age group also due to begin dose 1

That's all before we factor in 2nd doses required through July etc

While it's ambitious to say let's aim for July, due to the caveats above I think July is out of reach to start on u16. I would think a realistic timeline would be beginning in August at some point

I’d say it will become clearer tomorrow or Tuesday when the revised plan is presented. I’m in that group and I’m sort of hoping for maybe second week in June ish. I guess it depends on just how “in parallel” they do the 50s & 40s and if they decide to, however much behind the scenes, try and schedule the 50s to get a good chunk of the J&J.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It depends on the revised plan. Either early May or late May/early June depending on planning decisions.

It depends on the revised plan. Either early or late May depending on planning decisions.

That would be great !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

That would be great !

Just FYI I edited my post

Either early May or late May/early June depending on planning decisions.

It all depends on if NIAC decide to push through 50-69 with all 4 vaccines or go through 50-69 with AZ/J&J and start 45-49 with Pfizer.

I'd be delighted if both Husband and I were done by end of June tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You will be vaccinated well before the end of June - I would take a guess at somewhere around the start of June, but it could possibly even be sooner depending on how many supplies come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

My wife is in that category and I expect she will be registering final third of May and vaccinated early June
    I’m in the next age bracket down and expect to follow on a few weeks later
    Going on hotel break first week in July and would be fantastic to have one shot got. And I’d be even optimistic my wife might have two gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

26,000 doses. The over 50s, who'll get them, won't be started for about 3 weeks. They are likely initially to go to specific groups first, homeless, those with addiction issues and Travellers and Roma, although these last two may be affected by the over 50 guidance on the vaccine. All told they would account for the 40K we expected in April. About 160K are supposed to be coming in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭User1998

Well, hopefully they will also offer the vaccination to 12 year olds in 5th/6th Class too.

Why would healthy 12 year olds need a covid vaccine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement