Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

User1998 wrote: »
    Why would healthy 12 year olds need a covid vaccine

To stay healthy .,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They'll be 18 year olds before you know it! It will also reduce the possible pool for the virus to infect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

It all depends on if NIAC decide to push through 50-69 with all 4 vaccines or go through 50-69 with AZ/J&J and start 45-49 with Pfizer.

Just on that, is it a HSE call or a NIAC call if they change things ?
    Not that it really matters, just curious.

Russman wrote: »
    Just on that, is it a HSE call or a NIAC call if they change things ?
    Not that it really matters, just curious.
    Operationally the HSE but they have been in contact with NIAC anyway over this next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,937 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Risk of transmission mainly. The healthy 12 year old could contract the virus, have absolutely no symptoms but give it to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Seriously ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Probably the same reason infants recieve nearly a dozen vaccines before they are a year old, to prevent a disease.
    With vaccines, covid is now a preventable disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

For the same reason they get measles vaccines, to protect others who are more vulnerable or who cannot take the vaccine and to provide a level of immunity an an early stage in life.

What's the story with group 7. I'm in my early 40's with a heart condition. Do I wait for the vaccine program to get around to my age group or is my gp supposed to get in touch with me to arrange it? I've tried ringing gp office multiple times but they never awnser the phone anymore it seems!

SusanC10 wrote: »
    That's what I was afraid of. If the EMA has approved it generally for Age 16+ but Ireland has restricted it's use to Age 18+ except with certain medical conditions, then what will Ireland do when EMA approves use in Ages 12-15?

Ireland will review the data and 99.999% will approve it for the EMA cohort. 16-18 medicine is a complex area in Ireland because of certain legal difficulties, children have an involvement int he discussion, can refuse treatment etc once above 16 and then a court needs to be involved if the medics think it necessary. If EMA approval goes down to 12 then I would expect Ireland to follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I got a text to my phone about my mams appt . It's Thursday . It's say she needs to bring her phone

What's the reason for this ? Will I have to give her my phone with confirmation of the appt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I got a text to my phone about my mams appt . It's Thursday . It's say she needs to bring her phone

What's the reason for this ? Will I have to give her my phone with confirmation of the appt ?

As I arrived at City West before we were allowed into the venue we had to show the text to security outside .
    Can you forward the text to her phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,763 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What's the story with group 7. I'm in my early 40's with a heart condition. Do I wait for the vaccine program to get around to my age group or is my gp supposed to get in touch with me to arrange it? I've tried ringing gp office multiple times but they never awnser the phone anymore it seems!

Its supposed to be GP run but a lot of GPs arent participating and there doesnt seem to be a HSE referral mechanism.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    As I arrived at City West before we were allowed into the venue we had to show the text to security outside .
    Can you forward the text to her phone ?

Yeah I can I may just give her my phone instead though just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

your GP should contact you. My brother (late 40's cohort 7) got a call on Thursday and has vaccine booked for next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭LimerickGray

Does anybody know which vaccine cohort seven or cohort four are receiving at the moment I’m 44 with respiratory problems and hope to get Pfizer. My GP registered me last week and my consultant registered me three weeks ago. The consultant said Pfizer and the GP said he doesn’t know.

From anybody’s experience how long does it take after registration by GP or consultant to get notification of vaccination days

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

Does anybody know which vaccine cohort seven or cohort four are receiving at the moment I’m 44 with respiratory problems and hope to get Pfizer. My GP registered me last week and my consultant registered me three weeks ago. The consultant said Pfizer and the GP said he doesn’t know.

From anybody’s experience how long does it take after registration by GP or consultant to get notification of vaccination days

The consultant is correct.

Marcusm wrote: »
    For the same reason they get measles vaccines, to protect others who are more vulnerable or who cannot take the vaccine and to provide a level of immunity an an early stage in life.

What do you think of Dr Jay Bhattacharya's argument that we have "a moral responsibility to take our doses that we are thinking about giving to 16-year-olds that won’t really do them much good, and send them to 80-year-olds around the world who don’t currently have the vaccine."?

Gortanna wrote: »
    What do you think of Dr Jay Bhattacharya's argument that we have "a moral responsibility to take our doses that we are thinking about giving to 16-year-olds that won’t really do them much good, and send them to 80-year-olds around the world who don’t currently have the vaccine."?
    Relative moralising at work there, individual authorities have a moral obligation to their own people. Morals will kick back in once they have done that and that global process may be surprisingly fast. The chap was against lockdowns as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The consultant said Pfizer and the GP said he doesn’t know.

Take what you're assigned and be glad of it seems to be the mantra here and the official government line. Let's just hope that people advising this do exactly what they recommend for others and don't go slithering around trying to wangle alternatives for themselves.. nothing would surprise me though. The cliche 'we're all in this together' is complete rubbish.

• Advertisement

Furze99 wrote: »
    Take what you're assigned and be glad of it seems to be the mantra here and the official government line. Let's just hope that people advising this do exactly what they recommend for others and don't go slithering around trying to wangle alternatives..
    The HSE have given short shrift to anyone looking to do this. Their policy and the only one that matters is take what what we give you or back of the queue for you. That will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

emrys wrote: »
    The consultant is correct.

It could be either Pfizer or Moderna, as that's the only 2 vaccines approved for under 50's in Ireland.
    I believe citywest was vaccinating with Moderna a few Fridays ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Furze99 wrote: »
    Take what you're assigned and be glad of it seems to be the mantra here and the official government line. Let's just hope that people advising this do exactly what they recommend for others and don't go slithering around trying to wangle alternatives for themselves.. nothing would surprise me though. The cliche 'we're all in this together' is complete rubbish.

This isn’t some grand conspiracy. I’ve had 2 members of my immediate family and 3 other members of my extended family get AZ. If I had any concerns about them getting this vaccine, I’d have tried to stop them. I’d take it in a heartbeat if I could but I am the “wrong” age. Angela Merkel had her AZ vaccine. Our Taoiseach will get his soon. All the approved vaccines are excellent and will get us out of this pandemic. We are all in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

You might have to go in person to them and talk to them there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

US now looking at how to wind down their MVC model and are considering other options to get to the rest of the population.
    A decline in daily Covid-19 vaccination rates has left US public health authorities with a new problem – how to effectively shrink operations

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/02/us-covid-vaccinations-clinics-outreach-campaigns-vaccine-hesitancy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It depends on how far along the GP surgeries are. Some places are flying through the cohorts and others are still on the over 70s.

I was cohort 7 and got my first jab on Friday, the nurse there was saying they're almost done apart from second doses.

Probably depends on your location too.

Gortanna wrote: »

I would say that such a philosophy was admirable and should be considered by governments. I am unsure that I would draw the line at 16, however. Perhaps stop Local vaccination at 45 years as only 1.1% of deaths in Ireland are below that age. Start again when the rest of the world has caught up with us and only the start using the vaccine on our population again. By which time we will continue to have spiralling cases, social order will have disimproved etc. I am a strong supporter of Covax in theory and I think there should be a more practical approach to determining priorities for thr allocation of vaccines. Until that is done, unilateral action by Ireland will add little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Necro wrote: »
    It depends on how far along the GP surgeries are. Some places are flying through the cohorts and others are still on the over 70s.

I was cohort 7 and got my first jab on Friday, the nurse there was saying they're almost done apart from second doses.

Yep my GP told me last week they had done the over 70s pretty quickly (and the catchment area is pretty "settled" so I'm surprised) and coincidentally the next day got my Category 7 invite for a jab this Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Necro wrote: »

I got mine Friday too and it was all extremely well run. (We may have passed each other) I have a family member who is cohort 4, over 60 and still waiting, in a different part of th country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Here are German predictions for delivery of vaccines in May and June (as of Friday).

This document outlines the number of vaccines to go to GP offices: https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferprognose_Praxen-Betriebsaerzte_2._Quartal.pdf

The second document outlines the number of vaccines going to MVCs: https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferungen_Bu-Laender_Impfzentren_2._Quartal.pdf

I’m most interested in AZ delivery, as Pfizer looks relatively stable and we will need AZ for over 50s here, especially if J&J doesn’t pull through. So far, the Germans are expecting 3.15 million AZ vaccines in May. Adjusting for population, this would mean 189,975 AZ vaccines for us here in Ireland in May. I am assuming that this is not everything since only the first two weeks of May seem to have AZ deliveries. If AZ deliver in weeks 3 and 4 of May in the same way, we could have 380,000 AZ vaccines arriving in May.

Caveat. These are back-of-the-envelope calculations mixed with speculation so don’t quote me on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement