Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

Vaccine hesitancy is very high in France, they might expect to be able to offer it to all ages sooner due to that.

Hesitancy? No, most of them just don't want to take it.

Maybe the French don't overestimate the threat that covid poses, and those less vulnerable don't see the need for vaccination.

Maybe they're more aware that clinical trials will still be going for years and so know that safety data is lacking.

Maybe they're better at weighing the risks versus benefits and most decide against the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I saw a girl I used to go to school with last week while out for a walk. Covid came up in conversation, she said the vaccine was leaving people sterile and Bill Gates was behind it to reduce population. She always seemed normal before so I was shocked.

I've had a few of these conversations myself this year. Usually though the person is not very bright and has taken in a load of garbled nonsense about vaccines.

You're right though, it does put you off them. I'm not sure I'd want to be close to a person who is so gullible and who could believe any sort of crackpot conspiracy theory they've read somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

moonage wrote: »
    Hesitancy? No, most of them just don't want to take it.

How do you not know what vaccine hesitancy means?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I saw a girl I used to go to school with last week while out for a walk. Covid came up in conversation, she said the vaccine was leaving people sterile and Bill Gates was behind it to reduce population. She always seemed normal before so I was shocked.

I asked someone similar why would the government want to kill off its citizens who listen to them, all the Dr's and Nurses and HCW and keep the ones who are protesting and causing trouble and hate them Alive. If anything it would be those people to be killed off if they wanted to reduce population

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Irish Times on the latest on the HSE decision on what to do with vaccines for those in their 50's here.

- HSE officials have been working on a revised vaccination schedule and a memo on the programme is expected to be discussed at Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting.
    - Senior sources say one option being discussed is breaking the existing age sequencing arrangement and running parallel programmes with over-40s receiving the Pfizer vaccines while waiting for larger supplies of AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.
    - Public health concerns expressed about this option.

Looks like we will find out tomorrow what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’m sure it’s been mentioned (can’t keep up) but may help others. One of my parents is cohort 4 and over 60. They registered for the over 60’s and then checked with gp Friday (they had previously told them they’d get to them). But now said they’ve been told to skip overs 60’s. Parent getting done this Wednesday in mvc, so we are delighted. Just Incase anyone in those cohorts over 60 didn’t register its worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭noplacehere

That’s mad. Both my parents are in their 60s (under 65) and have appointments for the GP for Friday. They had registered on the portal but are VHR so got the call from GP first

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Adverts | Friends
    Irish Times on the latest on the HSE decision on what to do with vaccines for those in their 50's here.

- HSE officials have been working on a revised vaccination schedule and a memo on the programme is expected to be discussed at Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting.
    - Senior sources say one option being discussed is breaking the existing age sequencing arrangement and running parallel programmes with over-40s receiving the Pfizer vaccines while waiting for larger supplies of AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

Looks like many, possibly most of over 50 s will be left out of vaccination program till end June, early July so, and that's assuming astrozeneca and j&j deliver on time then.

Saying they'll do over 40s and over 50s in ' parallel ' is disingenuous, I hope they're clear about what it means in reality.

Novavax won't be delivering until July
    https://news.sky.com/story/im-hoping-that-collaboration-can-continue-across-borders-says-novavax-vaccine-maker-12284097

The EU's decision not to purchase it was much ado about nothing really

The Business Post yesterday said that the EU Novavax deal is apparently back on, and at signing stage, after Reuters recently reported delays. We are expecting small deliveries in H2 2021 and more in 2022 (if it is needed). Maybe that means we will get some small Novavax in July but it might be too late to make much of a difference then.

Some EU states still want a deal with Valneva to proceed too.

Obviously CureVac is the next one to watch. Hopefully a read out of their Phase 3 results occurs this week or next week and then EMA approval by the end of the month.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

That’s mad. Both my parents are in their 60s (under 65) and have appointments for the GP for Friday. They had registered on the portal but are VHR so got the call from GP first

No way! He told them that’s what hse said. Either way they are getting done this week so relieved.
    Must be GP dependent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

Ll31 wrote: »
    Looks like many, possibly most of over 50 s will be left out of vaccination program till end June, early July so, and that's assuming astrozeneca and j&j deliver on time then.

Saying they'll do over 40s and over 50s in ' parallel ' is disingenuous, I hope they're clear about what it means in reality.

I don't really post on this thread, but every post you've made in the past 5 days or so are complaining about the 50s being "skipped over" and it's getting pretty tiresome.

Would you rather we ask those in their over 50s to wait a few weeks longer to be fully vaccinated, or require 1.2 million extra Pfizer doses and push the whole program back significantly, while having 600k j&j go to waste?

Did you ever hear the phrase the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few? Clearly the best decision to get the most people vaccinated as quickly as possible and utilise the vaccines available to the maximum extent is to not use vaccines which are only approved for the under 50s on the over 50s.

It's crap that it's the situation we are in but your whinging comes across as complete selfishness.

Yes I'm under 50 before you ask but the reality is everyone wants a vaccine as soon as possible. I'd take any of the approved 4 right now but I accept that the vaccines have to be distributed in whatever way maximises their rollout into society and gives us the fastest possible path back to normality.

I've actually seen some suggestions that my cohort should be last (30-34) and I accept that that probably would be best for society too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

JTMan wrote: »

This is the difficult situation NIAC have left our rollout in.

Either maximise vaccine doses used, leaving as little unused as possible. This would entail skipping ahead and vaccinating under 50s with Pfizer/Moderna while some over 50s are left waiting until end of June for J&J. Problem with this is the over 50s are more vulnerable to severe disease and they'll end up waiting longer than some younger less at risk. Will some over 50s die from covid while waiting on J&J? Very possible.

Other option is to give over 50s whatever vaccines are available first. Upside is the more vulnerable get vaccinated first but the downside is we'll end up with a lot of unused J&J which would push out our overall vaccination and probably our reopening timelines. Also, I think if some over 50s are getting Pfizer, the ones offered J&J might be awkward and look to get Pfizer also. I know they said vulnerable groups can get J&J but I don't think there's enough in these groups that will actually take a vaccine and again they could be waiting until late June for it.

For tough choice to be made. They'll probably get stick for whichever option they pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Whatever they chose to do with the rollout they have to sort out Cohort 4 and 7 first
    They are left in limbo and many of cohort 7 not knowing where they are on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭larchielads

Listening to Bobby kerr on newstalk after 8 this morning and talk of doing over 30's parallel to the over 50's. Government to decide, but didn't say when

HBO's Last Week Tonight is about vaccine hesitancy this week.

John Oliver delivers a well researched piece on the misinformation that causes hesitancy and what we can do about it.

Really important that we get as many as possible of the "no sure's"/"could not be bothered" to get a vaccine. Part of that is understanding why they are hesitant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

How are other EU countries dealing with the over 50's, we cannot be the only ones wringing our hands over it? A big issue for the decision makers is that deliverys of AZ & J&J to date both have not been reliable at all so what are other EU countries in the same boat doing?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Whatever they chose to do with the rollout they have to sort out Cohort 4 and 7 first
    They are left in limbo and many of cohort 7 not knowing where they are on the list

Yes, initially confusion between Hospitals and GP's for cohort 4.

Now, from conversation here, it seems some GP's are vaccinating their cohort 7's, whilst some others are stopping after cohort 4 - and leaving them to be picked up in the age-based rollout via MVC's. This is not justifiable at all.

Govt policy is the prioritisation by cohort, and some of our most medically vulnerable are being lost between Consultant/GP/MVC.

p.s. I'm 7 and have a date with GP. OH is 4 and has had 1 jab. We are covered, but have seen confusion between processes along the way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Listening to Bobby kerr on newstalk after 8 this morning and talk of doing over 30's parallel to the over 50's. Government to decide, but didn't say when

Wait, it is over 30s now? I thought it was over 40s in parallel first being touted.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

pc7 wrote: »
    No way! He told them that’s what hse said. Either way they are getting done this week so relieved.
    Must be GP dependent.

My parents’ GP told me the same when I called on Friday. Two weeks now since I registered my dad and 8 days since registering my mam, still nothing on both

Jane1012 wrote: »
    My parents’ GP told me the same when I called on Friday. Two weeks now since I registered my dad and 8 days since registering my mam, still nothing on both

Hope they hear something soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Klonker wrote: »
    This is the difficult situation NIAC have left our rollout in.

Either maximise vaccine doses used, leaving as little unused as possible. This would entail skipping ahead and vaccinating under 50s with Pfizer/Moderna while some over 50s are left waiting until end of June for J&J. Problem with this is the over 50s are more vulnerable to severe disease and they'll end up waiting longer than some younger less at risk. Will some over 50s die from covid while waiting on J&J? Very possible.

Other option is to give over 50s whatever vaccines are available first. Upside is the more vulnerable get vaccinated first but the downside is we'll end up with a lot of unused J&J which would push out our overall vaccination and probably our reopening timelines. Also, I think if some over 50s are getting Pfizer, the ones offered J&J might be awkward and look to get Pfizer also. I know they said vulnerable groups can get J&J but I don't think there's enough in these groups that will actually take a vaccine and again they could be waiting until late June for it.

For tough choice to be made. They'll probably get stick for whichever option they pick.

What is the relative risk of a healthy person in their 50s dying from COVID versus a healthy person in their thirties or forties? Probably higher but surely it is only marginal. Over 93% of COVID deaths involved people with underlying conditions, especially heart disease. We are lucky that people of all age groups with underlying conditions are being vaccinated promptly. Many of them have been vaccinated already.

In my opinion, we should vaccinate the 50-59 age group and the under-50s simultaneously. This is the quickest way out of this thing. Just to add, I’m not over 50 but I’d take AZ in a heartbeat. Several members of my family already have taken it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Maybe I'm missing something, but why aren't the testing centres (that seems to be popping up every week) converted to vax facilities to make sure all vaccines are used as soon the moment they arrive.

Why would you spend time testing someone when you could vax them just as quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Looks like the rain has resulted in cross-pollination of this thread with a visit from the conspiracy theorists overnight! :D

Supercell wrote: »
    How are other EU countries dealing with the over 50's, we cannot be the only ones wringing our hands over it? A big issue for the decision makers is that deliverys of AZ & J&J to date both have not been reliable at all so what are other EU countries in the same boat doing?

Other countries didn't ignore EMA advice re J&J and insert an stupid over 50's restriction on J&J for no reason.

Tazz T wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why aren't the testing centres (that seems to be popping up every week) converted to vax facilities to make sure all vaccines are used as soon the moment they arrive.

Why would you spend time testing someone when you could vax them just as quickly?

I will be completely contradicted on this but I would imagine:
    1. They have a vaccine schedule by age group, etc which they don't want to mess with by vaccinating randomers who turn up for a covid test
    2. (I'm 100% guessing here) People need to be in reasonably good health (i.e. not sick with covid) before getting the vaccine? I don't know if this is true and somebody will I am sure say if this is right/wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Other countries didn't ignore EMA advice re J&J and insert an stupid over 50's restriction on J&J for no reason.

Italy did.

And most countries ignored the EMA recommendations on AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think that NIAC should carry out a risk assessment. Proceed according to their current advice which will mean a delay in rolling out the vaccine program or revise the age limits for J&J and AstraZeneca to 45. Seems a no brainer to me

revelman wrote: »
    Italy did.

And most countries ignored the EMA recommendations on AZ.
    But they ignored it not based on data evidence or trends, rather on a "oh well there's an absolutely miniscule risk here so we won't be allowing it even if it is 1 in a million, similar to the risk of a car crash".
    blackcard wrote: »
    I think that NIAC should carry out a risk assessment. Proceed according to their current advice which will mean a delay in rolling out the vaccine program or revise the age limits for J&J and AstraZeneca to 45. Seems a no brainer to me

Complete no brainer. It should never have been added in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

blackcard wrote: »

Let me guess you are 44. Why do you think they didn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tazz T wrote: »

We don't have a vaccine administration capacity problem.

It's difficult to know how many vaccines we have delivered but not administered. As far as I can tell the HSE doesn't publish this information directly and the EU vaccine tracker is usually out of date, presumably because the HSE is poor at feeding it timely data.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement