Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

GPs are basically not being given any concrete information on deliveries for this cohort so haven't been able to schedule appointments. Many have submitted their lists but nothing back from the HSE.

Anecdotal but I know of several perfectly healthy people that have vaccination centre appointments from Cohort 7 doctor referrals.
    Do you know who else these 180,000 pfizer a week might be going to?
    Guards and teachers long taken care of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

trellheim wrote: »
    Followup : per
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/45a24-update-on-covid-19-vaccine-deliveries-wednesday-28th-april-2021/

Total deliveries in as of we week ago

1,572,779 doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered vs 1,715,400 delivered. With an expected week lag included ( those numbers are about 7 days old )

1572779/1715400 = 91.6% so slower than the target 95% . By HSE own targets they should be able to go even faster but it may be margin of error here as those numbers are of 28 April for deliveries but saying that a large shipment of Pfizer arrived that wasnt in those numbers ....

It's amazing to me that in a press release dated the 28th and updated on the 29th they only include deliveries up to the 25th.

These are large shipments, they're not turning up in random locations by carrier pigeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

trellheim wrote: »
    Followup : per
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/45a24-update-on-covid-19-vaccine-deliveries-wednesday-28th-april-2021/

Total deliveries in as of we week ago

1,572,779 doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered vs 1,715,400 delivered. With an expected week lag included ( those numbers are about 7 days old )

1572779/1715400 = 91.6% so slower than the target 95% . By HSE own targets they should be able to go even faster but it may be margin of error here as those numbers are of 28 April for deliveries but saying that a large shipment of Pfizer arrived that wasnt in those numbers ....
    The target of 95% is based on weekly administered vs weekly delivered not the total administered vs total delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

twiglet24 wrote: »
    My husband and I are both late 50s and also both Cohort 7. Husband rang GP on Friday to check what is happening and was told that actually they have us both down as Cohort 4, but are currently not doing either there. Then they made reference to registration for over 50s starting this week - the implication seeming to be that we will get our jabs more quickly that way. Are we likely to be taken off the cohort 4/7 list if we register as over 50s? With all the talk of delays for over 50s we are getting worried!

If your GP is not doing cohort 4/7 it should be referring you to one locally who is. Those cohorts are in GP/hospital settings and are being undertaken currently with moderna/Pfizer. Over 50s may be slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wolf359f wrote: »
    The target of 95% is based on weekly administered vs weekly delivered not the total administered vs total delivered.

I'm not doubting you but that target makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Lumen wrote: »
    It's amazing to me that in a press release dated the 28th and updated on the 29th they only include deliveries up to the 25th.

These are large shipments, they're not turning up in random locations by carrier pigeon.

Delivery numbers are painfully slow at being published, ECDC website is the best place for keeping track.

https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I saw a girl I used to go to school with last week while out for a walk. Covid came up in conversation, she said the vaccine was leaving people sterile and Bill Gates was behind it to reduce population. She always seemed normal before so I was shocked.

You should ask her why Bill Gates has spent billions of dollars and two decades of his life on malaria vaccines if he is trying to limit population growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ll31 wrote: »
    Adverts | Friends
    Irish Times on the latest on the HSE decision on what to do with vaccines for those in their 50's here.

- HSE officials have been working on a revised vaccination schedule and a memo on the programme is expected to be discussed at Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting.
    - Senior sources say one option being discussed is breaking the existing age sequencing arrangement and running parallel programmes with over-40s receiving the Pfizer vaccines while waiting for larger supplies of AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.
    - Public health concerns expressed about this option.

Looks like we will find out tomorrow what is happening.

Looks like many, possibly most of over 50 s will be left out of vaccination program till end June, early July so, and that's assuming astrozeneca and j&j deliver on time then.

Saying they'll do over 40s and over 50s in ' parallel ' is disingenuous, I hope they're clear about what it means in reality.

My understanding is there is no such plan to leave people waiting for weeks. If you register on the portal, your vaccination happens around two weeks later. It would be utterly pointless asking people to register and then leaving them hanging for two months waiting on a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭trellheim

Delivery numbers are painfully slow at being published, ECDC website is the best place for keeping track.
    yes, agreed , it seems to coincide with the Minister for Health making a speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

irishlad. wrote: »

https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab

Great info there, but why have we not administered 20% of what we have received? Why did we only vaccinate 20k on a Saturday? Am I being unreasonable in thinking we can do better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Strazdas wrote: »
    My understanding is there is no such plan to leave people waiting for weeks. If you register on the portal, your vaccination happens around two weeks later. It would be utterly pointless asking people to register and then leaving them hanging for two months waiting on a vaccine.

My understanding as well. Most in 60s that registered received jab within two weeks. Astra deliveries now higher so doubt anyone in 50s who registers will have to wait more than two weeks either.
    For that reason it would make sense to open portal to those in 40s and begin giving them Pfizer once the GPs run out of Cohort 7 referrals from their patient lists. Possibly by mid May.

Bear in mind that significant numbers of those in their 60s did not register.
    Either already registered elsewhere, don't want vaccine or want to wait for Pfizer.
    Same in likely for those in their 50s. So a wait of more than two weeks from registration for this cohort extremely unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭sekond

Does anyone know whether any of the HSE texts re vaccines offer a range of dates/times, or are they just "here is your appointment"?

My Mum, who has already received dose 1 through her GP and is due to get her second this week, got a text she said was from the HSE asking her to choose a date for a vaccination. She hasn't registered with the portal or anything, and other than her age she has no conditions that would have put her in group 4/7 (in fact I think her last medical appointment other than for a flu vaccine was more than 5 years ago).

She's got herself into a panic about whether this is instead of her GP appointment and is claiming "this is the way they do it now". I think I've managed to convince her not to do anything about it until she confirms with the GP tomorrow, but she's full of talk about her friends getting texts and how she really needs to make the appointment so she doesn't miss her second dose.

I can't go down and look at the text message as I'm sick at the moment and don't want to pass anything on to her, and she can't forward the text on to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Strazdas wrote: »

It all depends on what the HSE and the task force come up with. They'll present the options to government which is due this week and it'll go from there.

The option of a parallel rollout but slower for the over 50s is very much on the table according to reports.

We wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Any idea when we’ll see any leaks as to what the revised plan might be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Russman wrote: »
    No idea when but worth keeping an eye on Fergal Bowers twitter, he's usually fairly on the ball with rollout news

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Russman wrote: »

Memo expected to cabinet tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Rumour is they're going to speed it up for over 30s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

robinbird wrote: »
    Given that over 70s and Cohort 4 are more or less complete

Aren’t most of cohort 4 going to be due second doses during May? Close to 200k got their first shot in April and it would be mostly Pfizer, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It all depends on what the HSE and the task force come up with. They'll present the options to government which is due this week and it'll go from there.

The option of a parallel rollout but slower for the over 50s is very much on the table according to reports.

We wait and see

For sure, but delays of six weeks to two months after registering would be totally unacceptable. People would be rightly asking why they were asked to register on the portal if no vaccine was available for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

sekond wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether any of the HSE texts re vaccines offer a range of dates/times, or are they just "here is your appointment"?

My Mum, who has already received dose 1 through her GP and is due to get her second this week, got a text she said was from the HSE asking her to choose a date for a vaccination.

My text from HSE had :
    My name
    Time of vaccination
    Venue
    Type of vaccine
    First dose

I had registered on the HSE portal for 60 to 64 age group, a week ago on Sat just gone, got text on last Friday evening for Tuesday morning, tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Memo expected to cabinet tomorrow

Leaked by noon most likely

Denmark will not use J&J so Ireland might be able to trade for some or all of them to speed up 50scohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

This article suggests that EU may be close to signing a deal with Novavax - but that we wouldn't get deliveries till late this year...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-novavax-exclusi/exclusive-novavax-plans-to-ship-covid-19-vaccines-to-europe-from-late-2021-eu-source-idUSKBN2CK104
    Novavax told the EU in meetings over the last two weeks that it planned to send the first small shipments towards the end of this year, with the bulk to be delivered in 2022, according to the official, who said the shots would complement a huge planned supply of vaccines from Pfizer and BioNTech.

sekond wrote: »

My Mum, who has already received dose 1 through her GP and is due to get her second this week, got a text she said was from the HSE asking her to choose a date for a vaccination. She hasn't registered with the portal or anything, and other than her age she has no conditions that would have put her in group 4/7 (in fact I think her last medical appointment other than for a flu vaccine was more than 5 years ago).

She's got herself into a panic about whether this is instead of her GP appointment and is claiming "this is the way they do it now". I think I've managed to convince her not to do anything about it until she confirms with the GP tomorrow, but she's full of talk about her friends getting texts and how she really needs to make the appointment so she doesn't miss her second dose.

I can't go down and look at the text message as I'm sick at the moment and don't want to pass anything on to her, and she can't forward the text on to me.

Her GP must either have had her down as cohort 4/7 (VHR or HR) or have had her on a reserve list. Appt for second dose given at time of first dose at GP too. Unless the GP has stopped vaccinating and this is a rescheduling, I suspect it’s a duplicate appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Marcusm wrote: »
    Denmark will not use J&J so Ireland might be able to trade for some or all of them to speed up 50scohort.

We have more than enough J&J, we just don't have them right now, once 50+ are done there are no more arms for it to go in, so we would end binning future deliveries of J&J and regret having bartered our Pfizer away..

Valhallapt wrote: »
    We have more than enough J&J, we just don't have them right now, once 50+ are done there are no more arms for it to go in, so we would end binning future deliveries of J&J and regret having bartered our Pfizer away..

But Denmark would be able to speed up the rate at which it is available to us. I can see the govt seeking to expand this to speed up the 50-59 cohort. Other choices are for those to be done slowly or for a combination of AZ/J&J/mRNA vaccines to be “offered” to this cohort. That will create unnecessary criticism. “Hers is better than mine, I’ll miss this appointment and see if next week’s lottery of appointments will be better”. We will always have a surplus eventually.

To be clear, I did not suggest any bartering. I mean an outright purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

The metallic taste in my mouth was gone when I woke up this morning, I have been tested an if negative should I report the side effect from the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The metallic taste in my mouth was gone when I woke up this morning, I have been tested an if negative should I report the side effect from the vaccine?
    I would say yes, every little helps. Can do so on the HPRA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Marcusm wrote: »
    But Denmark would be able to speed up the rate at which it is available to us. I can see the govt seeking to expand this to speed up the 50-59 cohort. Other choices are for those to be done slowly or for a combination of AZ/J&J/mRNA vaccines to be “offered” to this cohort. That will create unnecessary criticism. “Hers is better than mine, I’ll miss this appointment and see if next week’s lottery of appointments will be better”. We will always have a surplus eventually.

To be clear, I did not suggest any bartering. I mean an outright purchase.

If we can buy them, that would be great, pay whatever they want to speed up our roll out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement