Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Stheno wrote: »
    So basically "we don't recommend it for under 60s but if you've already recieved a dose and are not high risk, we're just going to push out your second dose, till we see if we have further info"?

Even though they don't know if more than 12 weeks gap will cause issues?

All we've heard about so far is the initial AZ dose causing blood clots. I guess they are going to keep a very close eye on the UK for the next couple of months to see if any issues are developing with the second dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great news. I didn't want the Asstrazeneca vaccine.

Bully for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's great news for young people who were being asked to take an unnecessary risk. I already posted about this earlier.

I missed the news that prior to this the AZ vaccine was going to be compulsory. Do you have a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Great news. I didn't want the Asstrazeneca vaccine.

Even better news for me - should push me a bit higher if they've a load of AZ vaccines to put into the arms of those of us who are 60 or older

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Multipass wrote: »

Seems ridiculous to me. It's a few people per million who develop complications i believe. Now i'm not sure of the level of seriousness of these complications (i presume they must be significant) but realistically there is going to be some level of adverse side affects to every drug that is administered.

Not long ago they banned AZ for over 60s:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

I don't know why people are Complaining. Yes it delays our rollout but if that is the worst outcome as opposed to people getting a very rare Clot and dying then we have little to worry about. Yes I know it's a rare side effect but significant enough for experts to say stop using it. I read constantly here, for a year now, about trusting the experts and yet they make a decision and suddenly its all a shambles.
    And before anyone starts yes I know it's a rare side effect, but it's an even rarer type of blood clot with a 1 in 4 mortality rate. If covid had a 1 in 4 mortality rate would you say the same that is being said about the vaccine. Its not the end of the world to stop giving it to younger people.

Beasty wrote: »
    Even better news for me - should push me a bit higher if they've a load of AZ vaccines to put into the arms of those of us who are 60 or older

Send on your PPS number to me by PM there for er, research purposes.

Beasty wrote: »

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

What an emotional rollercoaster this is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I don't know why people are Complaining. Yes it delays our rollout but if that is the worst outcome as opposed to people getting a very rare Clot and dying then we have little to worry about. Yes I know it's a rare side effect but significant enough for experts to say stop using it. I read constantly here, for a year now, about trusting the experts and yet they make a decision and suddenly its all a shambles.
    And before anyone starts yes I know it's a rare side effect, but it's an even rarer type of blood clot with a 1 in 4 mortality rate. If covid had a 1 in 4 mortality rate would you say the same that is being said about the vaccine. Its not the end of the world to stop giving it to younger people.

It doesn't even impact the rollout as much as people are suggesting with the reaction here, there still enough people eligible or earmarked for it to use up nearly all the Q1 and Q2 allocation.

I missed the news that prior to this the AZ vaccine was going to be compulsory. Do you have a link to that?

Don't be ridiculous. If just one young person died from this jab it would have undermined the entire programme in Ireland.

Thankfully we can help avoid this by using common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yes, I’m starting to get motion sickness now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

It's like the ending of Game of Thrones. Same emotions too. Gloom and disappointment :pac:

lbj666 wrote: »
    It doesn't even impact the rollout as much as people are suggesting with the reaction here, there still enough people eligible or earmarked for it to use up nearly all the Q1 and Q2 allocation.

Exactly. The hysteria here is ridiculous. Why don't we wait to hear the plan for modifying the rollout before freaking out that it's a disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Yes but this isn't 1 in 4.

It's 1 in 4 in thousands. i.e. a very small, tiny, miniscule percentage. I would hate to be one of the few to get those complications (and maybe i'd have a different opinion then) but to me, the risk here is much lower than the benefit, overall. Will more people die or develop serious complications than this will save?

Don't be ridiculous. If just one young person died from this jab it would have undermined the entire programme in Ireland.

I'd have no issue with this if our reopening wasn't tied to vaccinations.

As it stands, we simply can't afford this level of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Is there a press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

At least one young person who receives a covid vaccine will die a short while after receiving it. Probably quite a few will.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I'm sure all of the under 60s who were vaccinated with AZ today in vaccination centres will be delighted to hear this news.

Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement

I'd have no issue with this if our reopening wasn't tied to vaccinations.

As it stands, we simply can't afford this level of caution.

It's almost as if you didn't read what I said. Let me reiterate. If an otherwise young healthy person died from AZ it could have led to masses of young people refusing the jab as they would lose confidence in the programme.

How would your reopening plan work in the face of that scenario? Why is a minor delay to avoid such a scenario so unreasonable? Why should we expect young people to take a risk that is simply not required?

When is this in effect from? My OH is not gonna be getting her vaccine in Pairc Ui Chaoimh tomorrow if that's the case. She's in her early 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I'm sure all of the under 60s who were vaccinated with AZ today in vaccination centres will be delighted to hear this news.

Jesus Christ.

Risk is still tiny for them. It's purely as a precautionary measure, we've only had one serious blood clot case in Ireland.

Turtwig wrote: »
    At least one young person who receives a covid vaccine will die a short while after receiving it. Probably quite a few will.

Then they shouldn't take part. Why should they when the virus barely affects them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

If anyone who thinks that herd immunity should be aided by younger cohorts simply getting immunity through infection rather than vacine and the chance of long covid that could go with they need to rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Is there a press conference?

No sign of it that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Stheno wrote: »
    So basically "we don't recommend it for under 60s but if you've already recieved a dose and are not high risk, we're just going to push out your second dose, till we see if we have further info"?

Even though they don't know if more than 12 weeks gap will cause issues?

Yeah its beggars belief... I'm a bit like???

Then they shouldn't take part. Why should they when the virus barely affects them?

Round and round we go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

MHRA said it's one person in 250,000 who gets these clots. If the reports on this thread are right that it has a 1 in 4 death rate then my back of the envelope calculation is that for every million people who get the vaccine, 1 person may die.

It's not exactly the Somme is it?

Hopefully this doesn't affect the rollout programme, but if at any stage AstraZeneca vaccines are lying unused I think we should be making them available to those who are happy to take the "risk". The Regulators have to do their job, but there are a lot of people who want these lockdowns to end as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement