Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Why would they give you another vaccine at 12 weeks when you're gone less than a month later?

That's a waste of a second vaccine dose

Gone where?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

jvoom500 wrote: »
    Perhaps a stupid question - I'm a healthcare worker, young, no underlying conditions. I received my first dose of AstraZeneca a few weeks ago and worked out, with the 12 week gap, I'd get my second the last week of May. Now that the gap has been extended to 16 weeks, that'll mean my second dose is now end of June/early July - but I won't be in the country by then ... lol? I'm emigrating early June. Is it a possibility to request my second dose at the initial 12 week mark? Otherwise... it was kind of a "waste" of a dose?

You could contact them and ask if it would be possible to be brought forward by four weeks to the 12 week point along with the other AZ recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Gone where?

Don't know but the poster is emigrating early June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Economics101

Originally Posted by KrustyUCC
    Why would they give you another vaccine at 12 weeks when you're gone less than a month later?

That's a waste of a second vaccine dose

Vaccines are given to people for their own protection. It would be wrong to deny a potential emigrant. It might save them the need to do 2 weeks mandatory hotel quarantine at destination. And if they are not "officially" vaccinated here that will be two doses in some other country which could have immunised someone else.
    Such small-mindedness.

Don't know but the poster is emigrating early June

I missed the post you were replying to so didnt get the context of "gone".

Why would someone resident here getting a vaccine they are entitled to be a waste of vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Originally Posted by KrustyUCC

Vaccines are given to people for their own protection. It would be wrong to deny a potential emigrant. It might save them the need to do 2 weeks mandatory hotel quarantine at destination. And if they are not "officially" vaccinated here that will be two doses in some other country which could have immunised someone else.
    Such small-mindedness.

Why in hell would we still be protecting somebody for another country to benefit when there's such a sizeable proportion of our society unvaccinated?

That dose could provide good protection to somebody else

• Registered Users Posts: 18,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting : that might suggest the start to the EU rollout will only be slightly delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why in hell would we still be protecting somebody for another country to benefit when there's such a sizeable proportion of our society unvaccinated?

There is your gratitude for our "front line heroes" right there.

I missed the post you were replying to so didnt get the context of "gone".

Why would someone resident here getting a vaccine they are entitled to be a waste of vaccine?

That poster is young, healthy and wouldn't be getting the vaccine at the moment after yesterday going from 16 weeks to 12 weeks

they'd be out of the country by then

I have no doubt that poster will probably get the vaccine before they go but i'd prefer to see it used on somebody else for their first dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Christ almighty... they are likely a citizen of Ireland for god sake, it doesn't matter if they are leaving the country... in fact it doesn't even matter what country they are a citizen of - they are a human. They are currently here in Ireland and they're just as entitled to get the protection of a vaccine as anyone else.

You think vaccinating someone who has been working in healthcare in our country shouldn't be given a vaccine just because they're emigrating?

There is your gratitude for our "front line heroes" right there.

How do you know they're frontline?

I know plenty in HSE who have got vaccines who are in no way frontline and have been working from home all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How do you know they're frontline?

I know plenty in HSE who have got vaccines who are in no way frontline and have been working from home all the time

A reminder, you are moaning because a health care worker got a vaccine but now has an issue with the 2nd dose being delayed through no fault of their own. Just think that through for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’m starting to lose faith in mans ability to have compassion for his fellow man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Maybe it'll provide good protection to somebody where he/she's going. The most important thing is to get it into her arm - anything else is splitting hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Also very interesting that the FDA director referenced the pause being carried out to allow for the issuing of clinical advice around treatment if it occurred. Interesting that they specially mention what not to use for treatment, heparin based anticoagulants.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1381983910893137927?s=19

rm212 wrote: »
    Christ almighty... they are likely a citizen of Ireland for god sake, it doesn't matter if they are leaving the country... in fact it doesn't even matter what country they are a citizen of - they are a human. They are currently here in Ireland and they're just as entitled to get the protection of a vaccine as anyone else.

You think vaccinating someone who has been working in healthcare in our country shouldn't be given a vaccine just because they're emigrating?

That person is wanting to change vaccinating schedule to ensure they are vaccinated before going off in June

it worth a chance for them but that doesn't sit well with me when we have so many unvaccinated

I have no doubt that poster will probably get the vaccine before they go but i'd prefer to see it used on somebody else for their first dose instead

I don't' care where they're from

Yes they were perfectly entitled to the first dose and also would be entitled to a second dose before yesterday

That advice might also change before June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

If they are a healthcare worker, surely they can ask with their employer about getting it sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Strazdas wrote: »
    Interesting : that might suggest the start to the EU rollout will only be slightly delayed.

The delay is not the issue - it wasn't as if we were going to get a lot from J&J in the short term. The problem is what happens after that. Any age restriction basically makes the vaccine null and void as by the time we get it in decent quantities we will be vaccinating the under 50s.

That person is wanting to change vaccinating schedule to ensure they are vaccinated before going off in June

it worth a chance for them but that doesn't sit well with me when we have so many unvaccinated

I have no doubt that poster will probably get the vaccine before they go but i'd prefer to see it used on somebody else for their first dose instead

I don't' care where they're from

Yes they were perfectly entitled to the first dose and also would be entitled to a second dose before yesterday

That advice might also change before June

No, they aren't. They are wanting to stick to the ORIGINALLY GIVEN schedule to ensure they complete both of their doses of the vaccine course which they have started. If they had known about the 16 week gap before the first dose, I am sure they would have refused, as they knew they were leaving. But that is not what happened.

They aren't 'chancing their arm' or trying to steal someone else's vaccine like you seem to be trying to suggest, they are just trying to stick with the originally advertised regimen which was given to them when they got their first shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So AZ and JJ are now both paused for blood clots yeah?
    Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

biko wrote: »
    So AZ and JJ are now both paused for blood clots yeah?
    Any others?

nop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

There’s no way it will be restricted here based on those stats. I’m hopeful the AZ announcement yesterday won’t have too much of an impact on our vaccination rates.

Limit J&J to 50+ and crack on with Pfizer for 49- :)

Gael23 wrote: »
    We’re screwed if J&J is suspended here

No we're not, although we would be delayed a couple of months.
    Pfizer still represents the majority of our Q2 doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jvoom500

Thanks for the input everyone! (Just to clarify, I am a front line worker albeit in an admin role). Of course I'd like to be fully vaccinated for my own sake before emigrating but I also thought there may be a procedure in place to ensure the HSE finished any vaccinations they started.

As one of the posters said above, it could be a completely different story in a few weeks so I'll sit tight and wait and see! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

NPHET licking their lips, anything to keep them relevant and the payday accumulating. Between AZ and J&J meeting unwarranted scepticism, we're losing weeks if not months of our summer. Depressing beyond measure.

Seriously ?? Like wtf ?
    You think the CMO stops collecting his salary when COVID goes away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

The J&J pause seems to be nothing to worry about (fingers crossed) and the delay should be minor...it's just the timing of it with the AZ news that is less than ideal!

josip wrote: »
    Limit J&J to 50+ and crack on with Pfizer for 49- :)

The under 42's i think

Russman wrote: »
    Seriously ?? Like wtf ?
    You think the CMO stops collecting his salary when COVID goes away ?

Didn't you know? Tony and Ronan actually get paid by the number of daily cases reported.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Threads merged

Am I the only one who gets apprehensive about future posting activity when I see this ? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement