Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not running them in parallel will delay the programme significantly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We need a nice spike in cases to focus minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

revelman wrote: »
    “One possibility mooted is AstraZeneca being used for people over 50, while holding Pfizer vaccines in storage for those aged 40-49.”

I think there will be enough AZ this month for the bulk of over 50s but the idea that we should put Pfizer in storage seems like they are more worried about the optics of doing age groups in parallel.

Probabaly "mooted" by one RTE journo to another. There is no way something as moronic as this is being seriously considered by anybody with any authority.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not running them in parallel will delay the programme significantly imo.
    Oh I agree but I only see this happening when they're happy there's a secure line of vaccines to do both groups at roughly equal speed.
    I'd like to see the matter debated at the press conference but I don't think we'll see that level of discussion, depending on what's recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Probabaly "mooted" by one RTE journo to another. There is no way something as moronic as this is being seriously considered by anybody with any authority.

You would hope.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    I suspect that's their "plan". Burn through the AZ for the 50+ cohort. See how the J&J situation is looking. If it looks like J&J is going to arrive and the AZ deliveries seem solid, then open it up to 40+ in parallel at that point. If not given them the Moderna/Pfizer supplies and make others wait. They've been incredibly risk adverse so that's the "riskiest" thing they'll do.
    The risks of course of delaying vaccinations elsewhere that we can see might be more palatable to the government than the perception of doing nothing / slowing down based on projections.

The more I think about this, I suspect that you may be right.
    But, leaving Vaccines sitting in storage for weeks is just wrong imo and it will cause significant delays to the overall Vaccine Programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

AdamD wrote: »
    Any word on 55-59 year olds being able to sign up to the website?

59 year olds can register tomorrow

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

eigrod wrote: »
    59 year olds can register tomorrow

Be interesting to see can anyone in 50’s register tomorrow, was possible for over 60’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Are the whole of cohort 7 not getting Pfizer ? That’s a lot of Pfizer accounted for

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

pc7 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see can anyone in 50’s register tomorrow, was possible for over 60’s.

I suspect yes and a small number will do it. The language they used at the time they first opened the portal was: “we are asking people aged 69 to register on the first day, people aged 68 on the second etc.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »

I can’t understand why anyone other than 59 year olds would. Why would it be so difficult to wait one’s turn, a matter of a few days. Are some people that selfish?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I can’t understand why anyone other than 59 year olds would. Why would it be so difficult to wait one’s turn, a matter of a few days. Are some people that selfish?

I doubt they’d get an appointment earlier, I’d say HSE only ask so the system doesn’t crash.
    As for are people selfish? Considering the amount of office staff working from home, family members, board members who skipped the queue months back when
    Vulnerable where still waiting I think we all know the answer to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think it's been discussed plenty as to why not all four vaccines and the impact of such, you've been involved in the debates here.

It means your left with a large number of 1 dose jabs that effectively can't be used here and for every 1 that can't be used you need 2 to replace it.

So it has a big impact. Fly though one group and delay all the others by weeks.

But we don't know what the situation will be re. J & J in June. Nothing is set in stone : advice on AZ has already changed several times this year and it was first only distributed in February.

Personally, I wouldn’t be that critical of those people. It will only be a small number and I’m actually delighted to see people who have no problem in signing up for AZ, especially given all the misinformation about it. There have been far more egregious examples of queue skipping in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's only registration. The HSE still decide who gets appointments and in which order, right?

They could let everyone in the country register and it wouldn't bias the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

SusanC10 wrote: »
    The more I think about this, I suspect that you may be right.
    But, leaving Vaccines sitting in storage for weeks is just wrong imo and it will cause significant delays to the overall Vaccine Programme.

The optics could be managed by initially going with 45 to 59. Open the portal on a descending daily basis. Not quite concurrently but there would be momentum. Then open up 40 to 44, 35 to 39, 30 to 34 etc.. I think people seeing a pipeline and getting vaccinated within 5 - 10 days of registration would manage expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lumen wrote: »
    It's only registration. The HSE still decide who gets appointments and in which order, right?

They could let everyone in the country register and it wouldn't bias the rollout.

The reason they ask you to register according to age is to avoid the site crashing in first few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Strazdas wrote: »
    But we don't know what the situation will be re. J & J in June. Nothing is set in stone : advice on AZ has already changed several times this year and it was first only distributed in February.

It's not a cross that bridge when we come to it situation. You plan now

The optics could be managed by initially going with 45 to 59. Open the portal on a descending daily basis. Not quite concurrently but there would be momentum. Then open up 40 to 44, 35 to 39, 30 to 34 etc.. I think people seeing a pipeline and getting vaccinated within 5 - 10 days of registration would manage expectations.

Not the worst idea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Advertisement

Next Monday for me to register then. Nice to see it laid out.

A couple of hundred thousand unused vaccines(60% Pfizer) dumped in recent months by US pharmacies: https://khn.org/news/article/cvs-and-walgreens-have-wasted-more-vaccine-doses-than-most-states-combined/

GPs throwing away unused AZ vials in France: https://www.politico.eu/article/france-coronavirus-vaccine-glut/

There must be better solutions out there!

A couple of hundred thousand unused vaccines(60% Pfizer) dumped in recent months by US pharmacies: https://khn.org/news/article/cvs-and-walgreens-have-wasted-more-vaccine-doses-than-most-states-combined/

GPs throwing away unused AZ vials in France: https://www.politico.eu/article/france-coronavirus-vaccine-glut/

Read about the US today - totally ridiculous tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Anyone think there will be 7-10 day gap between age cohorts?
    Ie last Tuesday was 60 years tomorrow 59 year olds.. so let’s say the 20th May for 40-49 and say the 5th of June then for the 30-39? My hunch anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Strazdas wrote: »

True, it might change, but you have to plan based on what the rules are now, not what they hope they’ll be in a months time. I can’t really imagine someone at a presser being asked a question and answering with a version of “.....well we hope by then NIAC will have changed their advice re J&J....” you could never run a vaccination rollout like that. It would be seen as politicians and/or public servants putting pressure on medical experts, based on logistics.

In theory (and you’d obviously hope to God it doesn’t happen) there could be a glut of blood clots in the States or something and the age could go back up to 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That is disgraceful, especially with a global vaccine shortage.

Russman wrote: »
    True, it might change, but you have to plan based on what the rules are now, not what they hope they’ll be in a months time. I can’t really imagine someone at a presser being asked a question and answering with a version of “.....well we hope by then NIAC will have changed their advice re J&J....” you could never run a vaccination rollout like that. It would be seen as politicians and/or public servants putting pressure on medical experts, based on logistics.

The best plan of all would be to follow the EMA recommendation and make all vaccines available to all adults.

Italy now considering reversing their decision on AZ and making it available to everyone under 60: https://www.lastampa.it/cronaca/2021/05/03/news/l-annuncio-di-figliuolo-si-valuta-astrazeneca-anche-per-gli-under-60-1.40226467

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Anyone think there will be 7-10 day gap between age cohorts?
    Ie last Tuesday was 60 years tomorrow 59 year olds.. so let’s say the 20th May for 40-49 and say the 5th of June then for the 30-39? My hunch anyway

I’d say quite likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think it's been discussed plenty as to why not all four vaccines and the impact of such, you've been involved in the debates here.

It means your left with a large number of 1 dose jabs that effectively can't be used here and for every 1 that can't be used you need 2 to replace it.

So it has a big impact. Fly though one group and delay all the others by weeks.

You're assuming J&J or AZ won't be delayed with deliveries during May or June. To prevent wasted doses of J&J and AZ, we won't see the 50-69 finish their first jab until well into July (last delivery in June won't be used until July)

I know for every 1 J&J jab, you need 2 Pfizer to replace it, but I'd be curious to see the weekly delivery schedule for Pfizer for July. There could be plenty of Pfizer to replace the J&J that wouldn't be used here.

• Advertisement

The best plan of all would be to follow the EMA recommendation and make all vaccines available to all adults.

It could turn out that way alright.

Looking at the wailing based on the 50s being maybe delayed a couple of weeks, you’d then have a pot luck scenario where depending on when and where you get your jab, you could get any of them. Cue accusations of “everyone in XXX’s constituency got Pfizer but I could only get AZ and have to wait 12 weeks for my next dose, it’s a disgrace Joe, so it is, another summer ruined.....”
    And I’m only half joking !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement