Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

They're playing with the "If no other vaccine is available" clause in the recommendations. Can't say I blame them but there was / is better ways to work it.

Where they could fall down is trying to say to large numbers of u50s for example your apointment is for J&J or AZ while people have it in their head that neither vaccine are recommended for u50s currently.

This could get quite messy if I'm honest. Far from ideal.

NIAC have made an absolute balls of their recommendations. It's going to result in vaccine hesitancy in the under 50s, no question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Have to say the communication over the vaccine rollout and which used for whom has been woeful . I cant blame people getting annoyed with it. Still not one word about finishing or even starting Cohort 7
    Many now getting anxious and upset and lack of clarity in those groups
    TBF the process from the HSE side of things has been clear enough, we'll allocate as we have them. We also knew that progress through Groups 1-7 was never going to be linear nor straightforward. I think some of the fault here is also from GPs/consultants, who in professing their cluelessness about this phase are trying to give the impression they ever knew anything in the first place. As we stand that 1-7 phase should resolve itself in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Morning after the father's AZ vaccine yesterday. Sore arm around injection site but apart from that all good so far.

I just came on to ask about any updates about your father. Fantastic, he's finally had his first dose :) delighted for you both!

EDIT: If I could ask also as I have been away for a few days - what's this about cohorts 5&7 and NIAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I just came on to ask about any updates about your father. Fantastic, he's finally had his first dose :) delighted for you both!

All good thanks.

Nothing outside of the usual sore arm.

He's got 3 months from yesterday marked up on the calendar already for the 2nd dose haha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My husbands all important and treasured vaccine first dose card went missing . We put it carefully away and in a very safe place . Of course we couldn’t find it anywhere then . Searched the whole house and no sign
    Went to turn the calendar over to May and here is the card pinned carefully beside the date of his 2nd vaccine .

• Advertisement

All good thanks.

Nothing outside of the usual sore arm.

He's got 3 months from yesterday marked up on the calendar already for the 2nd dose haha

That's really heartening :D

My husbands all important and treasured vaccine first dose card went missing . We put it carefully away and in a very safe place . Of course we couldn’t find it anywhere then . Searched the whole house and no sign
    Went to turn the calendar over to May and here is the card pinned carefully beside the date of his 2nd vaccine .

Ah brilliant :pac: love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

eoinbn wrote: »
    Here the IT reported that NIAC said that J&J can be given to people under 50 if nothing else is available. AZ isn't included in that.

NIAC recommendation is a complete copout. Why say something is only recommended for people over 50 and then say it can be used for people under 50 if nothing else is available? Everyone is limited by supply, of course there will be nothing else available. It is clearly an exercise of washing their hands of any responsibility. They should be stood down and replaced with people that are willing to give clear guidance.
    I completely concur. They've moved from 60 to 50 with AZ at the stroke of a pen. Why?

Expecting them to stand down is a bit much but the very least they should have to do is explain their rationale. It can't just be cloak and daggers when you are weighing it up against the impact of a pandemic in an unvaccinated population, not just in terms of death/hospitalisation but long covid, etc are still a problem.

If NIAC had come out and said "the rate of X blood clots in Y million people, is too high for us to authorise its use in cohort Z" then fair enough. But instead, no rationale has been given and there's still lots more people dying of covid every day than there are from vaccines. I'd ignore what the Danes have done - they seem to be similarly over-cautious. Just look across the water at AZ for real world data and the UK aren't having any significant problems.
    NIAC have made an absolute balls of their recommendations. It's going to result in vaccine hesitancy in the under 50s, no question about it.

Its leading to hesitancy in all age groups. Having said that, I wonder if they went "opt-in" on AZ/J&J - I reckon the uptake would be phenomenal. Leave the Pfizer love-in to the uneducated and misinformed (i.e. RTE Disciples).
    Zipppy wrote: »
    Yes, I feel a little bit 'meh' this morning but not sure if that's last nites wine or the jab :D

I've heard (from a friend who is a doctor) that drinking loads of water and avoiding alcohol in the days before/after is the key to minimising the side effects. He said it varies a lot but it can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

From the updated IT piece. So people in that (and my) cohort may be offered AZ or Janssen. I would expect that the devil is in the detail, as if they start age 49 on May 14th, then they would be running in parallel anyway, and also there is the plan for the less predictable subgroups to have these two in any case.

Yes, I think the official line will be the age groups will not be done in parallel, but in reality they will definitely overlap. We know some MVCs have yet to start over 60s while others have finished. They will all be on a slightly different schedule, which allows vaccines to be allocated appropriately to each MVC depending on the cohort they are working through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

NIAC have made an absolute balls of their recommendations.

Exactly. They should pick their age restriction, be it 40, 50 or none at all, and stick with it, no woolly phrases that can be used to more or less circumvent the spirit of their recommendation while staying within the letter of it.

Is it just J&J that has the caveat or does it apply to AZ too ?

The best one for me is the one I get soonest, but I've 3 younger sisters in their 30s who were all slightly concerned about the issues around AZ & J&J, and were relieved to think they wouldn't be getting them. Now they see that they may potentially be getting them because the HSE have decided, in advance, that the "no other option available" will apply to some people, pretty much in the interests of political expediency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

https://twitter.com/Mark_Coughlan/status/1389507491583733763

Even if we miss the 82% target by a few %, we will have great protection as a country going into the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Russman wrote: »
    Exactly. They should pick their age restriction, be it 40, 50 or none at all, and stick with it, no woolly phrases that can be used to more or less circumvent the spirit of their recommendation while staying within the letter of it.

Is it just J&J that has the caveat or does it apply to AZ too ?

The best one for me is the one I get soonest, but I've 3 younger sisters in their 30s who were all slightly concerned about the issues around AZ & J&J, and were relieved to think they wouldn't be getting them. Now they see that they may potentially be getting them because the HSE have decided, in advance, that the "no other option available" will apply to some people, pretty much in the interests of political expediency.

I am in my mid-40s. While I do have niggling doubts about AZ and less so about J&J, I will still take the 1st Vaccine offered to me.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) was that the "if no other available vaccine" for under-50s applied to J&J only.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

Have to say the communication over the vaccine rollout and which used for whom has been woeful . I cant blame people getting annoyed with it. Still not one word about finishing or even starting Cohort 7
    Many now getting anxious and upset and lack of clarity in those groups

Cohort 7 has started. My brother has his vaccine scheduled for this Friday at his GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

irishlad. wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Mark_Coughlan/status/1389507491583733763

Even if we miss the 82% target by a few %, we will have great protection as a country going into the summer.

Our summer is usually over by the first week of July. The monsoon season starts about then.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I am in my mid-40s. While I do have niggling doubts about AZ and less so about J&J, I will still take the 1st Vaccine offered to me.

Ohh I will too, absolutely no question, that day can't come soon enough.
    TBH my issue really is the optics of the HSE being seen to somehow "get round" a NIAC recommendation, or using it to its extreme, and the impact that view might have on vaccine uptake in the younger groups.
    To me, there's a big difference between, say, I dunno, a few hundred people under 50 being given J&J some day because a fridge broke or a truck got delayed or whatever, and actually planning to use that caveat to dish out the several hundred thousand J&J shots we'll have by end of June, to under 50s, under the guise of "nothing else available". Just seems wrong IMO. Others may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

emrys wrote: »
    Cohort 7 has started. My brother has his vaccine scheduled for this Friday at his GP.

Delighted for you but not in all GPs . Definite differences in areas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

Update, just back from Citywest vaccine centre, extremely efficient, all told it took me 50 mins from entering the initial tent and leaving the vaccine centre. Running very smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

TBH my issue really is the optics of the HSE being seen to somehow "get round" a NIAC recommendation, or using it to its extreme, and the impact that view might have on vaccine uptake in the younger groups.

I pretty much entirely agree with you, nobody wants to see decisions being circumvented, but I think at least people deserve is the "idiots guide" to how the decision was made. If you make such an important decision, you need to explain why. At the moment, we have "that would be an ecumenical matter" as the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭josip

With the 60-69 cohort it was all AZ so nobody within the cohort could grumble that they were getting vaccine X and someone else was getting vaccine Y.
    I wonder will there be refusals within the 50-59 cohort of vaccine X, because they only want vaccine Z.

• Advertisement

To me, there's a big difference between, say, I dunno, a few hundred people under 50 being given J&J some day because a fridge broke or a truck got delayed or whatever, and actually planning to use that caveat to dish out the several hundred thousand J&J shots we'll have by end of June, to under 50s, under the guise of "nothing else available". Just seems wrong IMO. Others may differ.

I agree. If they want to try to get around the recommendation, surely it makes more sense to adopt the waiver approach used in Germany and Canada allowing under 50s to volunteer for AZ or J&J. Allocating it randomly to people in the clotting risk groups isn't fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

What are opinions on vaccinating during pregnancy?
    It looks like my wife is going to be offered the vaccine soon (only from news reports mind), she's in week 22 but is dealing with an Anti K issue so may or may not be on the list, she's willing but very concerned after seeing the effect the jab had on her mum, unwell ever since - 3 weeks now, no idea what the story is there but it's complicated things.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

206K vaccines given last week, a nice benchmark to hit. Hopefully we hit that target of 220-240K this week.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    12,756 vaccines done Sunday.

About 205k doses last week.

Must have forgot to carry a 1 when predicting 140k-160k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

TheDoctor wrote: »
    About 205k doses last week.

Must have forgot to carry a 1 when predicting 140k-160k

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1389520684209037314?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Quick question on Vaccines. Are people under the age of 24 going to be allowed to get vaccinated? From reading the various articles on the age groups, it seems to cut off at the age of 24. My son is 19 and we were hoping to travel in September, but if we're expected to have proof of vaccines, I'm not sure if he'll have his or is expected to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

So has 25% of the country received at least 1 shot now?

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I agree. If they want to try to get around the recommendation, surely it makes more sense to adopt the waiver approach used in Germany and Canada allowing under 50s to volunteer for AZ or J&J. Allocating it randomly to people in the clotting risk groups isn't fair.

Exactly, put J&J in the pharmacies or GPs and let people walk in and get them if they want. You'd burn through that half million doses in no time at all.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

chewed wrote: »
    Quick question on Vaccines. Are people under the age of 24 going to be allowed to get vaccinated? From reading the various articles on the age groups, it seems to cut off at the age of 24. My son is 19 and we were hoping to travel in September, but if we're expected to have proof of vaccines, I'm not sure if he'll have his or is expected to have one.
    They'll be vaccinating as far as 16 years old, per current approvals. Likely extended to 12 years old, pending successful trials.

Whether he'll have it by September is another question.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rang the GP a few weeks ago and was told I qualify for cohort 7, rang again today and was told unfortunately not and that I now have to wait until my age bracket. Disappointing :( nobody seems to know how to handle cohort 7 correctly. I've heard of people who had a small bit of asthma 5 years ago get an appointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement