Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

chewed wrote: »
    Quick question on Vaccines. Are people under the age of 24 going to be allowed to get vaccinated? From reading the various articles on the age groups, it seems to cut off at the age of 24. My son is 19 and we were hoping to travel in September, but if we're expected to have proof of vaccines, I'm not sure if he'll have his or is expected to have one.

Does he have any condition that might make it a good idea to vaccinate? I know one teen who received it due to diabetes and another who received it due to asthma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

bladespin wrote: »
    Does he have any condition that might make it a good idea to vaccinate? I know one teen who received it due to diabetes and another who received it due to asthma.

No. Unfortunately he's a healthy lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

chewed wrote: »
    Quick question on Vaccines. Are people under the age of 24 going to be allowed to get vaccinated? From reading the various articles on the age groups, it seems to cut off at the age of 24. My son is 19 and we were hoping to travel in September, but if we're expected to have proof of vaccines, I'm not sure if he'll have his or is expected to have one.

EMA have approved Pfizer for use in Europe for Ages 16+ and hopefully will soon approve Ages 12-15. But it is very hard to find anything in Ireland referencing anything below aged 18.

Your son is 19 so will be offered a Vaccine but when is the question. From what I have read I would say July/August depending on speed of rollout. But other posters may be able to give you a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Russman wrote: »
    Exactly, put J&J in the pharmacies or GPs and let people walk in and get them if they want. You'd burn through that half million doses in no time at all.

Agreed. I really do think this is the best option. Plenty of younger people will do the maths and realise they are better off vaccinated early than taking their chances with the virus. But after all the bad press and poor communication of the risks, an opt in system would be better at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

.42. wrote: »
    So has 25% of the country received at least 1 shot now?

23.2% of TOTAL population (not just adults), as of 1 May.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-people-vaccinated-covid?tab=chart&country=~IRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Panrich wrote: »
    Our summer is usually over by the first week of July. The monsoon season starts about then.

Agree totally..May/June is summer...then its a washout

Will a negative PCR not suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

GP just sent me invite for Vaccination next Tuesday (G7), absolutely over the moon :).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Zipppy wrote: »
    Will a negative PCR not suffice?

Not sure if that would help you onto the list but who knows at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

GLaDOS wrote: »
    They'll be vaccinating as far as 16 years old, per current approvals. Likely extended to 12 years old, pending successful trials.

Whether he'll have it by September is another question.

September? He'll be long done by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Zipppy wrote: »
    Agree totally..May/June is summer...then its a washout

In Ireland? Without being facetious, I would suggest you go over the annual rainfall and temperature charts before claiming that Ireland's summer is "over" by the end of May/June.

Vaccines should allow for some level of travel by August, if you feel May/June is summer, then you're waiting for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Skygord wrote: »

and germany with almost exactly the same supply is hitting 28% nationally with some areas like NRW (Cologne /Dusseldorf area) over 30%

The only difference is that the german regulator is allowing a 6 week gap for Biontech/ Pfizer jabs, as is the recommended maximum interval by the manufacturer if i amnt mistaken.
    It goes to show that the choices made by the national regulators can make a noticable measureable difference to the outcome, even with the same supply.

I should maybe add that the AZ vaccine advice changed slightly in Germany last week from being recommended for >60s and <60s then only in exceptional circumstances, to now being recommended for >60s but also permissable for <60s with acceptance of the relevant risk after a consultation with a doctor.
    For doling it out at GPs, that makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

A quick question that someone might know the answer to as I don't see any on the official websites:

My wife who has chronic asthma was previously told by our doctors practice that she was in cohort 7 (borderline 4) and would be called at some point soon for her vaccination. She had to ring the surgery this morning for her prescription and she asked while she was on the phone what the likelihood was of getting a call soon regarding her vaccine.

She was told that unless she was currently under the care of a consultant that she would not qualify and that in any case they were not doing the vaccines in the surgery. She was told to register when her age group became available online. My wife came off the call in floods of tears and I am very angry about the insensitive way that she was treated.

She has been staying in and I have been doing all the shopping for over a year as she is in total fear of this virus.

My question is can this be correct? If your doctor opts out of the vaccine rollout, are you then consigned to wait until your age group is called despite any underlying conditions?

JTMan wrote: »

Any idea if the EU have ordered any Sinovac?

I know they'll look to approve other vaccines anyway - as the criteria for unrestricted inbound travel is going to be EMA approved vaccines/or tested, just wondering about supplies too?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,772 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A quick question that someone might know the answer to as I don't see any on the official websites:
    My wife who has chronic asthma was previously told by our doctors practice that she was in cohort 7 (borderline 4) and would be called at some point soon for her vaccination. She had to ring the surgery this morning for her prescription and she asked while she was on the phone what the likelihood was of getting a call soon regarding her vaccine.
    She was told that unless she was currently under the care of a consultant that she would not qualify and that in any case they were not doing the vaccines in the surgery. She was told to register when her age group became available online. My wife came off the call in floods of tears and I am very angry about the insensitive way that she was treated.
    She has been staying in and I have been doing all the shopping for over a year as she is in total fear of this virus.
    My question is can this be correct? If your doctor opts out of the vaccine rollout, are you then consigned to wait until your age group is called despite any underlying conditions?

There are a few people in similar limbo, cohort 7 and GP is not participating in the rollout of the vaccines to that group. HSE don't seem to want to know - advising to ring around other local GPs!
    I think I read something like 200 GP practices out of 1200 are not participating.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

and germany with almost exactly the same supply is hitting 28% nationally with some areas like NRW (Cologne /Dusseldorf area) over 30%

The only difference is that the german regulator is allowing a 6 week gap for Biontech/ Pfizer jabs, as is the recommended maximum interval by the manufacturer if i amnt mistaken.
    It goes to show that the choices made by the national regulators can make a noticable measureable difference to the outcome, even with the same supply.

I should maybe add that the AZ vaccine advice changed slightly in Germany last week from being recommended for >60s and <60s then only in exceptional circumstances, to now being recommended for >60s but also permissable for <60s with acceptance of the relevant risk after a consultation with a doctor.
    For doling it out at GPs, that makes a massive difference.

Germany have a far higher proportion of the population over 60, so the impact of the change in AZ guidance was probably minimal. Likely accounts for some of the difference. Ireland also have a higher proportion of fully vaccinated

I've heard of other examples of exactly the same scenario - no offer of a vaccination path other than by age if the GP opts out of vaccinating cohort 7's.

It's a terrible failing of the programme at the moment.

How about contacting other GP's in your area and move your business from the GP that has abandoned her to a practice that IS vaccinating cohort 7's - and contact the HSE helpline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Economics101

Main headline in to-day's Irish Times: "Revised Vaccine Plan to proceed with older people first"

So this is news? I know there may be more in the text of the piece, but this is typical of the bad coverage of the Irish MSM.

Tomorrow's headline: "Astronomer finds that earth orbits the Sun" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I’m in group 7. Should I be ringing my GP if I haven’t heard anything?

Not sure if that would help you onto the list but who knows at the moment?

No, I mean with travelling?

• Advertisement

Yes, absolutely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Is that 28% and 30% of the total population or of the adult population?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No harm to ring them and ask if you are on their list (if they are doing them at all, some are only doing group 4 it seems). I rang mine to check (left a message with the receptionist), dont know if that provided them with the impetious to put me on it in the first place?, worth a try.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

I know they'll look to approve other vaccines anyway - as the criteria for unrestricted inbound travel is going to be EMA approved vaccines/or tested, just wondering about supplies too?

Not sure about SinoVac but ... according to Bloomberg, CanSino say that they are in talks with 3 European countries but did not name the countries. Hungary have made purchases.

For SinoVac, and CanSino, EMA approval is more likely to be about the message EMA approval sends to other countries about sending a message that the vaccine being legit and safe to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Main headline in to-day's Irish Times: "Revised Vaccine Plan to proceed with older people first"

So this is news? I know there may be more in the text of the piece, but this is typical of the bad coverage of the Irish MSM.

Tomorrow's headline: "Astronomer finds that earth orbits the Sun" :)

The story is nuanced but I'm guessing you don't do details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

SusanC10 wrote: »
    EMA have approved Pfizer for use in Europe for Ages 16+ and hopefully will soon approve Ages 12-15. From what I have read I would say July/August depending on speed of rollout. But other posters may be able to give you a better idea.

EMA expected to issue approval in June for 12-15 year olds.

As previously said I think July is attainable for Ireland for vaccinating 12-15 year olds. Others think early August. Either way, I would guess that there will be pressure for 12-15 year olds to be fully vaccinated before schools reopen, so certain rules do not need to apply when schools reopen, which might give a clue as to the timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Is that 28% and 30% of the total population or of the adult population?

According to the ECDC vaccine dashboard, Germany has given 28.1% of over 18s a first dose, compared to 29.1% here.

Source: https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#uptake-tab

astrofool wrote: »
    In Ireland? Without being facetious, I would suggest you go over the annual rainfall and temperature charts before claiming that Ireland's summer is "over" by the end of May/June.

Vaccines should allow for some level of travel by August, if you feel May/June is summer, then you're waiting for 2022.

No mention of temperatures..just rainfall

As for rainfall..have a look here https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

May/June compared to July/August, definitely wetter in July/August.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hopefully they keep away from ordering it too

Based on the initial data from Chile I’d nearly rather take Covid-19 Vaccine Pat the Baker than Covid-19 Vaccine SinoVac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JTMan wrote: »
    EMA expected to issue approval in June for 12-15 year olds.

As previously said I think July is attainable for Ireland for vaccinating 12-15 year olds. Others think early August. Either way, I would guess that there will be pressure for 12-15 year olds to be fully vaccinated before schools reopen, so certain rules do not need to apply when schools reopen, which might give a clue as to the timeline.
    There will be a whole lot of adults to take care of in July, August and September so back at school may be a better approach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement