Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

astrofool wrote: »
    In Ireland? Without being facetious, I would suggest you go over the annual rainfall and temperature charts before claiming that Ireland's summer is "over" by the end of May/June.

You're right. We don't get a summer, just perpetual autumn :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

According to the ECDC vaccine dashboard, Germany has given 28.1% of over 18s a first dose, compared to 29.1% here.

Source: https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#uptake-tab
    The collective vaccination levels of all EU countries is surely more relevant now than who's doing better than whom, except maybe Latvia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

According to the ECDC vaccine dashboard, Germany has given 28.1% of over 18s a first dose, compared to 29.1% here.

Source: https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#uptake-tab
    that is a snapshot from Thursday, when Germany was having trouble processing the sheer mass of vaccinations on the Wednesday and the numbers werent up until well into the afternoon so probably missing that deadline
    On wednesday there was 1.11 million jabs and then 932,000 on Friday , so if the ECDC is missing over 2million jabs then of course it doesnt tally with the full weeks progress.

The 28.7% national figure is of the entire population (23.852.426 as a percentage of 83 million odd is 28.7%)
    As a percentage of 69.3 million adults that'd be 34.4% with their first jab if my sums are right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The German's are flying through it. Brother is 28 and has a BMI just above 30 and got referred for Pfizer vaccine yesterday. He was jabbed at 10am this morning. He said there's 3 to 4 thousand at each vaccine centre at one time between waiting, being jabbed and in for observation. GPs are referring anyone and everyone over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Skygord wrote: »
    Any idea if the EU have ordered any Sinovac?

I know they'll look to approve other vaccines anyway - as the criteria for unrestricted inbound travel is going to be EMA approved vaccines/or tested, just wondering about supplies too?

The European Commission has stated that its future orders have refocused on mRNA vaccines. So, they aren't likely to be ordering any more of anything other than Pfizer/BioNTech (the majority of their orders), Moderna and CureVac whenever it arrives.

There have been large resources put into supporting that technology, so I think that's where we're going to be going.

The EMA will approve anything that meets the criteria for approval and is presented to them. So, assuming the SinoVac data stacks up and it's safe and effective to the required degree, it will get authorised, but orders would likely be from someone other than the European Commission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Skygord wrote: »
    I've heard of other examples of exactly the same scenario - no offer of a vaccination path other than by age if the GP opts out of vaccinating cohort 7's.

It's a terrible failing of the programme at the moment.

How about contacting other GP's in your area and move your business from the GP that has abandoned her to a practice that IS vaccinating cohort 7's - and contact the HSE helpline.

GPs probably need more support and coordination efforts from the HSE. They seem to be assuming that every GP's setup is equivalent. Some have a cohort of much older patients than others, some may be in totally unsuitable premises, some are significant clinics, others are one-man-band type operations.

This is where we're missing having sufficient community health doctors / nurses to step in and get it organised and ensure load-sharing between GPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

More than 55 hours have passed since my first Pfizer vaccination. No side effects have occurred, no fevers no headaches, absolutely nothing. Now obviously everyone is different of course, but I do have a history of undesirable side effects to medications I have taken.

That is good news. Most people I know that have had the Pfizer it is second jab were side affects if any are felt, AZ it has been usually felt (if any) on the first jab. Either way, glad you had your first jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The German's are flying through it. Brother is 28 and has a BMI just above 30 and got referred for Pfizer vaccine yesterday. He was jabbed at 10am this morning. He said there's 3 to 4 thousand at each vaccine centre at one time between waiting, being jabbed and in for observation. GPs are referring anyone and everyone over there.

We are slowly falling further and further behind the top performers in the EU. Germany, Spain, Austria, Denmark and Italy are firing them out now. I don't know how we are 15% behind these countries in vaccines per capita? If we start messing around with supplies and don't run age groups concurrently to appease the over 50's, we'll end up a month behind the rest of Western Europe by the end of June.

Hopefully we don't have another poor bank holiday Monday.

Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 77.5 May 2nd
    Lithuania 37 May 3rd 9
    Spain 37 May 2nd 10
    Germany 36 May 2nd 8
    Austria 36 May 3rd 7
    Estonia 35.5 May 3rd 6
    Denmark 35 May 2nd 6
    Italy 35 May 3rd 5
    Belgium 34.5 May 3rd 4
    Finland 34 May 3rd 3
    Portugal 34 May 3rd 3
    France 33 May 2nd 2
    Sweden 32.5 April 30th 3
    Poland 32 May 3rd 0
    Luxembourg 32 May 2nd 0
    Ireland 32 May 2nd 0
    Netherlands 31 April 28th 2
    Slovenia 31 May 3rd -3
    Czech Rep 30.5 May 3rd -4
    Slovakia 30.5 May 3rd -4
    Greece 30 May 3rd -4
    Romania 28 May 2nd -8
    Cyprus 27 April 23rd -1
    Croatia 22.5 May 3rd -19
    Latvia 17 May 3rd -31
    Bulgaria 12 May 3rd -41

snotboogie wrote: »
    We are slowly falling further and further behind the top performers in the EU. Germany, Spain, Austria, Denmark and Italy are firing them out now. I don't know how we are 15% behind these countries in vaccines per capita? If we start messing around with supplies and don't run age groups concurrently to appease the over 50's, we'll end up a month behind the rest of Western Europe by the end of June.

Malta 77.5 May 2nd
    Lithuania 37 May 3rd 9
    Spain 37 May 2nd 10
    Germany 36 May 2nd 8
    Austria 36 May 3rd 7
    Estonia 35.5 May 3rd 6
    Denmark 35 May 2nd 6
    Italy 35 May 3rd 5
    Belgium 34.5 May 3rd 4
    Finland 34 May 3rd 3
    Portugal 34 May 3rd 3
    France 33 May 2nd 2
    Sweden 32.5 April 30th 3
    Poland 32 May 3rd 0
    Luxembourg 32 May 2nd 0
    Ireland 32 May 2nd 0
    Slovenia 31 May 3rd -3
    Slovakia 30.5 May 3rd -4
    Greece 30 May 3rd -4
    Romania 28 May 2nd -8
    Cyprus 27 April 23rd -1
    Croatia 22.5 May 3rd -19
    Latvia 17 May 3rd -31
    Bulgaria 12 May 3rd -41
    We're all in around the same level. The real news here is 30%+ vaccinated in the EU, a region of nearly 450m people and a fair chance that we ALL may hit that 70% just past mid summer.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't know whether it's the use of the median average, or the use of over 18 population rather than total, but we've been consistently ahead of the EU average (In terms of both first dose and fully vaccinated) on this site: https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#uptake-tab

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is there a list anywhere of which countries are using (mostly) which vaccines? My googling yielded nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Malta 77.5 May 2nd
    Lithuania 37 May 3rd 9
    Spain 37 May 2nd 10
    Germany 36 May 2nd 8
    Austria 36 May 3rd 7
    Estonia 35.5 May 3rd 6
    Denmark 35 May 2nd 6
    Italy 35 May 3rd 5
    Belgium 34.5 May 3rd 4
    Finland 34 May 3rd 3
    Portugal 34 May 3rd 3
    France 33 May 2nd 2
    Sweden 32.5 April 30th 3
    Poland 32 May 3rd 0
    Luxembourg 32 May 2nd 0
    Ireland 32 May 2nd 0
    Slovenia 31 May 3rd -3
    Slovakia 30.5 May 3rd -4
    Greece 30 May 3rd -4
    Romania 28 May 2nd -8
    Cyprus 27 April 23rd -1
    Croatia 22.5 May 3rd -19
    Latvia 17 May 3rd -31
    Bulgaria 12 May 3rd -41

Only five percent behind, you must have misread it. We're actually hot on their heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭josip

Malta 77.5 May 2nd
    Lithuania 37 May 3rd 9
    Spain 37 May 2nd 10
    Germany 36 May 2nd 8
    Austria 36 May 3rd 7
    Estonia 35.5 May 3rd 6
    Denmark 35 May 2nd 6
    Italy 35 May 3rd 5
    Belgium 34.5 May 3rd 4
    Finland 34 May 3rd 3
    Portugal 34 May 3rd 3
    France 33 May 2nd 2
    Sweden 32.5 April 30th 3
    Poland 32 May 3rd 0
    Luxembourg 32 May 2nd 0
    Ireland 32 May 2nd 0
    Slovenia 31 May 3rd -3
    Slovakia 30.5 May 3rd -4
    Greece 30 May 3rd -4
    Romania 28 May 2nd -8
    Cyprus 27 April 23rd -1
    Croatia 22.5 May 3rd -19
    Latvia 17 May 3rd -31
    Bulgaria 12 May 3rd -41

By the end of June we'll be ahead of many EU countries because most are more vaccine hesitant than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is there a list anywhere of which countries are using (mostly) which vaccines? My googling yielded nothing.

For a very limited list of countries this does...

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccine-doses-by-manufacturer?country=~ITA

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

josip wrote: »
    By the end of June we'll be ahead of many EU countries because most are more vaccine hesitant than us.

Only time will tell if this is true for both us and them. As the programs progress, more and more people will know someone who is vaccinated and isn't transmogrified into a zombie. This will hopefully help reduce hesitancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

is_that_so wrote: »
    We're all in around the same level. The real news here is 30%+ vaccinated in the EU, a region of nearly 450m people and a fair chance that we ALL may hit that 70% just past mid summer.

I am assuming this is just first vaccinations?

Any updates on how many fully vaccinated I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

The European Commission has stated that its future orders have refocused on mRNA vaccines. So, they aren't likely to be ordering any more of anything other than Pfizer/BioNTech (the majority of their orders), Moderna and CureVac whenever it arrives.

The EC are about to conclude a deal with Novavax this/next week and several EU countries want a deal valneva. Hence, the EC are not fully restricting to mRNA vaccinates. That said, AZ and J&J contracts are likely to be let lapse when they expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to today's Irish Daily Mail, many Johnson & Johnson doses might go unused because that vaccine is recommended only for people who are at least 50 years old.

Why do Ireland and other EU member states care more about the fear of litigation than about giving people back their freedom to travel and to trade?

Don't they realise that there are millions of people in India who would jump at the chance of being vaccinated with J&J or AstraZeneca?

Zipppy wrote: »

I imagine our data of fully vaccinated will not be too different to other countries, so at about 1/3 of first doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

According to today's Irish Daily Mail, many Johnson & Johnson doses might go unused because that vaccine is recommended only for people who are at least 50 years old.

Why do Ireland and other EU member states care more about the fear of litigation than about giving people back their freedom to travel and to trade?

Don't they realise that there are millions of people in India who would jump at the chance of being vaccinated with J&J or AstraZeneca?

Well this country anyway is extremely litigious and they have to be aware of that.

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »
    That said, AZ and J&J contracts are likely to be let lapse when they expire.
    That has already been stated, contracts will not be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Zipppy wrote: »

About a third of total vaccinations, dont have figures to hand but they are published. Around the 450k mark (10% of total population)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

crossman47 wrote: »
    Well this country anyway is extremely litigious and they have to be aware of that.

Exactly this, they are being overly cautious but a water waiver gets around it so not sure why they don't just go down that route

With what we are expecting between now and the end of June, that's fairly unlikely. Into Q3 deliveries can probably be redirected if we don't need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

duffman13 wrote: »
    Exactly this, they are being overly cautious but a water waiver gets around it so not sure why they don't just go down that route

Waiver means you need to be able to facilitate access to an alternative vaccine in a timely manner. I don't think we're in such a position to offer people the luxury of choice yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

If we were in as bad a situation as India is, there wouldn't be the age restrictions that we have here. But we're thankfully not in their situation so we can afford to be more cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

crossman47 wrote: »

It's hard to imagine payouts totalling more than the cost of even a single extra day in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if they were to allow priority access to J+J for anyone <50 prepared to accept the "risk" I'd say the HSE would be overran by people looking to get the jab over with and whatever benefits come with having it done in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

That’s great to hear as I hope to go on a city break to Berlin in September/October if everything continues to progress well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

More evidence that when the Vaccination rate hits 45%-55% one dose the Ro is likely to drop below 1. I think we are at about 35% now?

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1389579961724334082

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement