Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭snotboogie

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I don't know whether it's the use of the median average, or the use of over 18 population rather than total, but we've been consistently ahead of the EU average (In terms of both first dose and fully vaccinated) on this site: https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#uptake-tab

We have a younger population. However vaccines are allocated by total population not by population over 18, as far as I understand. If that is the case vaccines per total population is the best measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

mackD wrote: »
    That’s great to hear as I hope to go on a city break to Berlin in September/October if everything continues to progress well

I have a friend in Berlin age 66 Type 2 diabetes was only vaccinated on Friday last . Her husband is 68 and is getting this week . It depends very much on where you are .

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

wadacrack wrote: »
    More evidence that when the Vaccination rate hits 45%-55% one dose the Ro is likely to drop below 1. I think we are at about 35% now?

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1389579961724334082

We are at 22-23%. We won't hit 35% until around the end of the month. Hopefully hit 50% around the June 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Strazdas wrote: »
    Only five percent behind, you must have misread it. We're actually hot on their heels.

5 shots per 100 behind, which 15% more than the 32 shots per 100 we have allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

eoinbn wrote: »
    We are at 22-23%. We won't hit 35% until around the end of the month. Hopefully hit 50% around the June 20th.

Are you talking fully vaccinated or 1 dose? 22-23% is about right for first doses administered but we'd certainly hope to be around 65% by June 20th if we want fo be within a decent possibility of hitting the 80% end of June target (which I think is out the window hopefully only by about two weeks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

duffman13 wrote: »
    Are you talking fully vaccinated or 1 dose? 22-23% is about right for first doses administered but we'd certainly hope to be around 65% by June 20th if we want fo be within a decent possibility of hitting the 80% end of June target (which I think is out the window hopefully only by about two weeks)

The 80% target is adults and the 22-23% figure is full population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I’m in group 7. Should I be ringing my GP if I haven’t heard anything?

Update: GP hasn’t moved on to group 7 yet. Should I just wait and call them again in a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,772 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Update: GP hasn’t moved on to group 7 yet. Should I just wait and call them again in a few weeks?

Have you made sure you are on the list and the GP is actually vaccinating group 7?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

According to today's Irish Daily Mail, many Johnson & Johnson doses might go unused because that vaccine is recommended only for people who are at least 50 years old.

Why do Ireland and other EU member states care more about the fear of litigation than about giving people back their freedom to travel and to trade?

Don't they realise that there are millions of people in India who would jump at the chance of being vaccinated with J&J or AstraZeneca?

Because the people involved and responsible for making the call ssee clearer avenues to litigation due to vacine safety that anything to do with the prolongation of the vacine rollout has on fatalities/illness or economic consequences. The waters are far muddier . It numbs them into very conservative decisions on the items they have asked to advise on and the government then conveniently falls back on it. The government has given no form of say a partial amnesty or intervention to ensure decisions in the best and broader interests of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Make sure you are on their G 7 list and aware of you

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »

First dose.
    Sorry, I meant to the week of the 20th. I expect us to be just over 50% of the population or 65% of adults come the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

More evidence that when the Vaccination rate hits 45%-55% one dose the Ro is likely to drop below 1. I think we are at about 35% now?

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1389579961724334082
    Great to see, and this is all in the face of the big, bad "California" variant too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

is_that_so wrote: »
    The collective vaccination levels of all EU countries is surely more relevant now than who's doing better than whom, except maybe Latvia.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    We're all in around the same level. The real news here is 30%+ vaccinated in the EU, a region of nearly 450m people and a fair chance that we ALL may hit that 70% just past mid summer.

This is true. If we look at the chart Ireland is quite close to the EU average. We were slightly until a few weeks ago but now we're slightly behind. If you exclude outliers like Hungary and Malta above and Croatia, Latvia and Bulgaria below, the other countries are in a tight band which suggests EU supply is still the bottleneck and not countries' ability to administer the vaccine or vaccine scepticism.

WxG.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Zipppy wrote: »
    No mention of temperatures..just rainfall

As for rainfall..have a look here https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

May/June compared to July/August, definitely wetter in July/August.

I'll give you a bit of a hand then:
    https://www.wildernessireland.com/summer-in-ireland/

Data comes from:
    http://www.climateandweather.com/weather-in-ireland
    and
    https://www.timeanddate.com/

On average, August is slightly wetter, but has a higher average temperature than June, July is about the same rainfall as June, but also hotter.

Our school kids have summer holidays over July and August, and our meteorological summer is from 1st June till 31st August.

Now, sure, it's funny to say that Ireland has no summer, but I don't think I've ever encountered anyone saying that May, when the trees are finally growing leaves again, and showers are the norm, is one of the main summer months especially as schools and colleges are still active, an argument can be made for June, but the most popular holiday time during summer is the first 2 weeks of August.

If you think May/June are your summer, fine, but then your not locked down summer will be next year, most Irish would be expecting to go somewhere and do something in August which just might be possible this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

bladespin wrote: »
    What are opinions on vaccinating during pregnancy?
    It looks like my wife is going to be offered the vaccine soon (only from news reports mind), she's in week 22 but is dealing with an Anti K issue so may or may not be on the list, she's willing but very concerned after seeing the effect the jab had on her mum, unwell ever since - 3 weeks now, no idea what the story is there but it's complicated things.

I am pregnant and I have no problem taking it. Hopefully we will all be called soon. I am further along than your wife though so I only have a few weeks to get it as they will only give it to you up to 36 weeks.
    I was with my GP today and he has no idea when we will get called for the vaccine and who will be giving it (GP/MVC/Maternity hosp etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    I am pregnant and I have no problem taking it. Hopefully we will all be called soon. I am further along than your wife though so I only have a few weeks to get it as they will only give it to you up to 36 weeks.
    I was with my GP today and he has no idea when we will get called for the vaccine and who will be giving it (GP/MVC/Maternity hosp etc.)

My friend is almost 36 weeks and getting it in the maternity hospital. She said they’re inundated with requests so I’d see can you call and find out what’s going on rather than wait? So you don’t miss the window

astrofool wrote: »

Data comes from:
    and

On average, August is slightly wetter, but has a higher average temperature than June, July is about the same rainfall as June, but also hotter.

Our school kids have summer holidays over July and August, and our meteorological summer is from 1st June till 31st August.

Now, sure, it's funny to say that Ireland has no summer, but I don't think I've ever encountered anyone saying that May, when the trees are finally growing leaves again, and showers are the norm, is one of the main summer months especially as schools and colleges are still active, an argument can be made for June, but the most popular holiday time during summer is the first 2 weeks of August.

If you think May/June are your summer, fine, but then your not locked down summer will be next year, most Irish would be expecting to go somewhere and do something in August which just might be possible this year.

It is true to say our most stable periods of good weather tend to be in May and June, even if July and August tend to be warmer than May

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

Oh that is the first pregnant person I have heard about who has been offered. Thanks for that @beanybabog, I will get on to the hospital tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Panrich wrote: »
    A quick question that someone might know the answer to as I don't see any on the official websites:

My wife who has chronic asthma was previously told by our doctors practice that she was in cohort 7 (borderline 4) and would be called at some point soon for her vaccination. She had to ring the surgery this morning for her prescription and she asked while she was on the phone what the likelihood was of getting a call soon regarding her vaccine.

She was told that unless she was currently under the care of a consultant that she would not qualify and that in any case they were not doing the vaccines in the surgery. She was told to register when her age group became available online. My wife came off the call in floods of tears and I am very angry about the insensitive way that she was treated.

She has been staying in and I have been doing all the shopping for over a year as she is in total fear of this virus.

My question is can this be correct? If your doctor opts out of the vaccine rollout, are you then consigned to wait until your age group is called despite any underlying conditions?
    Similar happened me. Got a PFO from the GP. Not sure what to do now. Have had asthma my entire life. Two forms of preventative medication and one reliever.

Rang the GP a few weeks ago and was told I qualify for cohort 7, rang again today and was told unfortunately not and that I now have to wait until my age bracket. Disappointing :( nobody seems to know how to handle cohort 7 correctly. I've heard of people who had a small bit of asthma 5 years ago get an appointment.

Agree with you. The HSE has a definition of serious asthma which was based on the strength of your preventative medication. But a liberal GP could extend that and from what I can see no GP is mandated to provide treatment for cohort 7.

Very frustrating. Hang in there.

• Advertisement

robinbird wrote: »
    Not really. Take a look at the criteria for Cohort 7. They are very broad and open to interpretation. They include

Fat people
    People with a "mental disorder"
    Asthma ( every hypochondriac in the country)

I know of several perfectly healthy people that have gotten referrals from their GPs under Cohort 7.
    This also meshes with the irish mentality whereby people think they are jumping the queue or getting special treatment.

So I don't see a particular issue with the rollout continuing as is.

May.
    Astra Zeneca. From what I can tell most of those in their 60s that wanted it have now gotten it. Complete this cohort as priority
    Open portal to those in their 50s and begin using Astra on them.
    There may not be as many register as they anticipate.

Johnson & Johnson: Give to travellers, romas gypsies, drug users and homeless as intended. Use as well on those that want a Cohort 7 referral but are unable or unwilling to travel to vaccination centre or doctors surgery. Any in this category that don't want J&J will be told to wait till late June for home visit with Pfizer.

Pfiszer/Moderan
    Complete second doses. Continue to allow doctors make referrals at their discretion from their patient lists under Cohort 7.

If anyone in 50s/60s don't want Astra they have the option of going to their GP and asking for a Cohort 7 referral for Pfizer

June
    This is when we are going to begin running into vaccine hesitancy. We won't get to 80% because there is way more than 20% that don't want a vaccine.
    Use methods to persuade them. Scare them with rising case numbers, put travel restrictions in place for those that still refuse.
    Give people a vaccine choice from June until everyone that wants a vaccine will get one, probably by mid June.
    Maybe open portal to everyone over 30 from beginning on June
    Anyone over 16 from mid June
    Give any surplus away as "humanitarian" gesture to poorer countries.

July
    Start vaccinating the children.
    "referrals from their GPs under Cohort 7."

Did the GPs refer those people to the HSE? I have been chasing up on this. Rang HSE twice last week and was told this wasn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Make sure you are on their G 7 list and aware of you

They didn’t seem to have a list but they definitely know who I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

bladespin wrote: »
    What are opinions on vaccinating during pregnancy?
    It looks like my wife is going to be offered the vaccine soon (only from news reports mind), she's in week 22 but is dealing with an Anti K issue so may or may not be on the list, she's willing but very concerned after seeing the effect the jab had on her mum, unwell ever since - 3 weeks now, no idea what the story is there but it's complicated things.

I had my first dose of Pfizer at 22 weeks pregnant with no side affects at all, only for the red mark on my arm I would be questioning if I actually had it 🙈 due my second dose this Thursday at 26 weeks so will report back. However I think it’s pretty much pot luck whether you have a reaction or not. At 22 weeks if she gets a fever etc it won’t be as big of an issue as if she was 14 weeks or earlier. My reasoning was that the actual effects of covid were likely to be much worse than any side affects from the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

astrofool wrote: »

Data comes from:
    and

There are many pages dedicated to this issue on the weather forum on boards.ie every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There are many pages dedicated to this issue on the weather forum on boards.ie every year!

Yep, it's not really worth it to re-tread here, however when the government talk about summer and opening, they will be talking about the period when kids are out of school and college which is primarily July and August, these are also the primary vacation months.

Personally, I'm not expecting much of a summer this year, but hope to be surprised (in late July and August :)).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can we move on from discussing the weather please folks? If you want to do that you can visit the Weather Forum linked below, cheers

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=374

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Useful thread and encouraging that the vaccines seem to be very effective against variants

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1389617547935420423

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Useful thread and encouraging that the vaccines seem to be very effective against variants

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1389617547935420423

Try and show or tell that to Staines, Ryan, Killeen and co! They’d curl into the foetal position and cry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Don't expect much from CureVac in the short term
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1389603262987386882

We'll remember Pfizer as the heros, but when we have time to reflect I think people will be grateful to AZ. Yes, their scale up in Europe was disappointing but still the 2nd most important by a long shot. Without them restrictions would be going on a lot longer.

• Advertisement

Don't expect much from CureVac in the short term
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1389603262987386882

We'll remember Pfizer as the heros, but when we have time to reflect I think people will be grateful to AZ. Yes, their scale up in Europe was disappointing but still the 2nd most important by a long shot. Without them restrictions would be going on a lot longer.

Curevac are using the US embargo as an excuse. Germany gave them hundreds of millions and they spent it on a new factory which won't be built until late 2022. If they had used that to ramp up production then they could have been making millions of vaccines per week by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement