Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting NY Times article here on what next with the Pfizer vaccines ...

- Pfizer expects to apply to the Food and Drug Administration in September for emergency authorization to administer its coronavirus vaccine to children between the ages of 2 and 11. (Previously targeted 5-11 in September, now 2-11 in September).
    - White house preparing for make the vaccine "accessible to younger generations". (As previously noted, approval for 12-15 expected early next week).
    - The company said it also plans to apply this month for full approval of the vaccine for use in people from ages 16 to 85 change.
    - Obtaining full FDA approval would, among other things, allow the companies to market the vaccine directly to consumers. Full approval would also allow the vaccine to remain on the market as the pandemic fades. It may also make it easier for companies, government agencies, schools and other entities to require vaccination.
    - Pfizer’s chief executive approached the FDA on Friday with new data that it hopes will persuade the agency to allow its vaccine to be kept at refrigerator temperatures, rather than frozen, for up to four weeks. Current limit is 5 days.
    - Pfizer make up a bit more than half of all doses administered in the US so far.

All positive developments by Pfizer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’m very pro vaccinations, but have to admit I’ll be very hesitatant to have my smallies take this one. The risk to them
    Is very very low of c19 I just don’t know that I’ll want to give them this at this stage.
    As said I’m pro vaccination, paid for Men b for one before it was added to schedule and chicken pox vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

But then you have Denmark coming out with statements like "“the benefits of using the Covid-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson do not outweigh the risk of causing the possible adverse effect in those who receive the vaccine”."

So it's not just the way AZ was handled. When an EU country says the above, it's reasonable for some to disagree with the assertion that "it's been clear all along....". Not myself, but you know the point I am making.

I think this is important. Personally I don’t know enough about vaccines and thresholds of risk in medicine etc etc., so I’d pay heed to what the likes of NIAC say. Maybe they’re right, maybe they’re wrong, but something about the HSE appearing to try to work their way around a NIAC recommendation doesn’t sit right with me. I think medical guidance should be more or less sacrosanct and not subverted for ease of the rollout. If the advice changes, fine, no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

SusanC10 wrote: »

I don't see what's updated there? No new information in it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't see what's updated there? No new information in it

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

pc7 wrote: »
    I’m very pro vaccinations, but have to admit I’ll be very hesitatant to have my smallies take this one. The risk to them
    Is very very low of c19 I just don’t know that I’ll want to give them this at this stage.
    As said I’m pro vaccination, paid for Men b for one before it was added to schedule and chicken pox vaccine.

100% agree. Especially with mRNA vaccines as they need to have full trials on younger people before we start rolling out to kids.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

SusanC10 wrote: »

They make some good points here. They say that leaving the over 50s waiting for weeks until supplies of J & J arrive and vaccinating the over 40s instead would be risky : what if J & J gets held up for some reason and the hundreds of thousands of doses don't materialise?

They also suggest that the plan may well be to give AZ and J & J to the under 50s - the alternative of binning those doses or sending them abroad when large sections of the population haven't even been vaccinated yet seems unthinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Strazdas wrote: »
    They make some good points here. They say that leaving the over 50s waiting for weeks until supplies of J & J arrive and vaccinating the over 40s instead would be risky : what if J & J gets held up for some reason and the hundreds of thousands of doses don't materialise?

They also suggest that the plan may well be to give AZ and J & J to the under 50s - the alternative of binning those doses or sending them abroad when large sections of the population haven't even been vaccinated yet seems unthinkable.

Do they mention allowing people to reject a dose of AZ or JJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

100% agree. Especially with mRNA vaccines as they need to have full trials on younger people before we start rolling out to kids.

I'm also very much pro vaccination (got my first pfizer jab yesterday)
    if I had kiddies (mine are grown ups who are equally just waiting for their turn) there's no way I'd give them any covid vax .. not yet anyhow.
    Adults can make their own mind up..kids cant.
    Covid will do little harm to a 12 year old...lets have lots of trials first...LOTS!!

• Advertisement

Do they mention allowing people to reject a dose of AZ or JJ?

Well any person can reject any vaccine. When they get the text, they are told what vaccine they are receiving and asked to confirm whether they will show up for it. Therefore they are free to reject it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well any person can reject any vaccine. When they get the text, they are told what vaccine they are receiving and asked to confirm whether they will show up for it. Therefore they are free to reject it.

Nope

Seven Worlds will Collide

And get to the back of the queue?

The opt-in approach would make far more sense.

Nope

What do you mean 'nope'?? The person is asked to confirm with a yes or no by text if they will attend for the vaccination.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    And get to the back of the queue?

The opt-in approach would make far more sense.

Well if you're offered a vaccine and refuse it, you're pretty much pushing yourself down the queue. You can hardly expect them to contact you a few days later with the offer of a different vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Zipppy wrote: »
    Covid will do little harm to a 12 year old...

BUT they can transmit and potentially harm others :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What do you mean 'nope'?? The person is asked to confirm with a yes or no by text if they will attend for the vaccination.

I'm helping a neighbour with the booking this is the text she got today for later in the week.

No confirm or reject option

COVID-19 vaccine dose 1 appointment: , age 60 Years

- When:

- Where: Abbeycourt Hotel Vaccination Centre (CVC),

Abbeycourt Hotel

Dublin Rd,

Nenagh,

E45 KA99

- Vaccine: AstraZeneca

- Read the patient information leaflet: https://hse.ie/!8PDV4P

Bring your phone, photo ID and a face covering. If you do not bring photo ID, you cannot enter the vaccination centre.

Be on time but do not arrive more than 5 minutes before your appointment.

Read more about going to a vaccination centre: https://hse.ie/vacctr

If you need to:

- reschedule your appointment, reply "New" to this text

- ask a question about your appointment, call the COVID-19 helpline on 1850 24 1850

EDIT 6000 POSTS \o/

Seven Worlds will Collide

Well if you're offered a vaccine and refuse it, you're pretty much pushing yourself down the queue. You can hardly expect them to contact you a few days later with the offer of a different vaccine.

If you're bang in the middle of the most at risk group for clotting, you shouldn't be offered a vaccine that is not recommended for you by NIAC, and not offered an alternative.

This is why the opt-in/waiver approach makes more sense.

Even the FDA decision on J&J included guidance that women under 50 should be offered an alternative vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Nope no option on my father's one either.

Time and date and where to go that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Only those referred by a hospital/as a healthcare worker are given yes or no option, and its not even every hospital. Anyone who signs up by the portal or is given a date from a GP cannot say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Russman wrote: »
    I think this is important. Personally I don’t know enough about vaccines and thresholds of risk in medicine etc etc., so I’d pay heed to what the likes of NIAC say. Maybe they’re right, maybe they’re wrong, but something about the HSE appearing to try to work their way around a NIAC recommendation doesn’t sit right with me. I think medical guidance should be more or less sacrosanct and not subverted for ease of the rollout. If the advice changes, fine, no issue.
    I agree with this. I thought the NIAC recommendation was clear, over 50s only, and administer it to younger groups only if the mRNA vaccines were unfeasible - the latter provision being for difficult groups like homeless etc., and not general usage.

I happen to disagree with the over 50s provision, particularly for males given the evidence which is currently available, but if I was the HSE I'd make the prospect of large amounts of unused vaccines NIACs problem and not try and work around it.

I don't know also who is reporting to who, but the Minister for Health needs to start taking more responsibility here in finding the balance between extending lockdowns, vaccine risk and the prospect of good vaccines going unused.

Only those referred by a hospital/as a healthcare worker are given yes or no option, and its not even every hospital. Anyone who signs up by the portal or is given a date from a GP cannot say no.

Oh right, I wasn't aware of that. But the person can simply not show up of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

If you're bang in the middle of the most at risk group for clotting, you shouldn't be offered a vaccine that is not recommended for you by NIAC, and not offered an alternative.

This is why the opt-in/waiver approach makes more sense.

Even the FDA decision on J&J included guidance that women under 50 should be offered an alternative vaccine.

With the vaccination passports and the single dose for j&j I don't think they'd be short of people opting in. Men in particular seem extremely low risk. I don't understand why this seems to have been taken off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Anyone who signs up to the portal is basically requesting a vaccine and been told which one it is. So there's no excuse/reason to refuse it (apart from having to reschedule).
    Some GP's are sending texts to patients to book a slot on an online booking system, the vaccine being administered is listed and again, no need to refuse a vaccine you have booked yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly this. If there happened to be the odd case of it occurring because of circumstances, well, that happens. If it becomes stated policy to do this, and it’s flagged in advance that you’ll be doing it, then I think it’s potentially a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

SJFly wrote: »
    With the vaccination passports and the single dose for j&j I don't think they'd be short of people opting in. Men in particular seem extremely low risk. I don't understand why this seems to have been taken off the table.

Last count from the FDA, there was 1 male case under review, but I haven't heard anything since. So there is potential there for it to be given to all males 18+ if we end up having excess supply (which we very well may have, I can't see J&J delivering Q2 on schedule)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

appears some GP's are nowhere near making progress on cohort 4 and 7, some even not fully through over 70s. i assume GPs will only get pfizer to administer here so should all pfizer be kept for the GP and given to the 50-59 group given cohort 4 and 7 supposed priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

appears some GP's are nowhere near making progress on cohort 4 and 7, some even not fully through over 70s. i assume GPs will only get pfizer to administer here so should all pfizer be kept for the GP and given to the 50-59 group given cohort 4 and 7 supposed priority?

Good few GP's with Astra stocks as discussed earlier - they are being asked to use up supplies of Astra before it goes out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The risk from AZ is tiny and has a known treatment and easily caught. Do not self diagnose yourself as vulnerable to the side effects, you're not, the CVST condition that can occur and is treatable is a very specific condition unrelated to other clotting events. If you are refusing a vaccine that may very well save your life, then that is your choice and you will need to live with the consequences of that action.

Did I mention the futility of self diagnosing yourself as vulnerable to CVST yet?

When we get to July /August/ September and have excess supplies, go and be choosy, most importantly, get a vaccine. If you already passed up a vaccine, whatever you do, don't gamble, you're not very good at calculating risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭moonage

Up to 21 April there have been over 1,000 deaths in the UK linked to the covid vaccines, according to official sources.

There were over 700,000 adverse reactions reported. Of course this is only the tip of the iceberg as only a small proportion ever get reported.

For AstraZeneca:
    Total Adverse Reactions—573,650
    Total Reports—153,098
    Total Fatal Outcome Reports—685

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/982453/COVID-19_AstraZenenca_Vaccine_Analysis_Print.pdf

For Pfizer:
    Total Adverse Reactions—149,082
    Total Reports—52,130
    Total Fatal Outcome Reports—347

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/982474/Covid-19_mRNA_Pfizer_BioNTech_vaccine_analysis_print2.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement