Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

josip wrote: »
    Limit J&J to 50+ and crack on with Pfizer for 49- :)

I’d agree with something along those lines but it would have to coincide with the reopening of the economy as the risk of death or serious illness is vastly decreased! As the medically vulnerable will now get moderna or Pfizer we’ll also have better protection for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Le Bruise wrote: »
    The J&J pause seems to be nothing to worry about (fingers crossed) and the delay should be minor...it's just the timing of it with the AZ news that is less than ideal!

The FDA press conference was quite reassuring and very much straight to the point to be honest.

They very much so put the emphasis on the pause being needed so that the right advice is compiled and given to clinicians in the event that they come across one of these rare cases. Was refreshing to hear them say they only expected it to last a matter of days

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

josip wrote: »
    Am I the only one who gets apprehensive about future posting activity when I see this ? :)

Since last night absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Given that the AZ vaccine is being limited to people over 60 and that the vaccination of most people under 60 is a long way away, why was it necessary to cancel appointments that were scheduled for today?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If they roll out a vaccine passport I can understand the 60-70 group being a tad annoyed they must wait 3 months to be fully vaccinated

• Advertisement

Given that the AZ vaccine is being limited to people over 60 and that the vaccination of most people under 60 is a long way away, why was it necessary to cancel appointments that were scheduled for today?

They were Cohort 4 I imagine , so very high risk group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Because many of today’s AZ vaccinations were for cohort 4 who could be any age. They needed time to reschedule and split them between over and under 60s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

The FDA press conference was quite reassuring and very much straight to the point to be honest.

They very much so put the emphasis on the pause being needed so that the right advice is compiled and given to clinicians in the event that they come across one of these rare cases. Was refreshing to hear them say they only expected it to last a matter of days

Cheers, I only saw the tweeted headlines from the conference and they seemed pretty positive alright. I was just thinking of the 'vaccines are the devil' crew who will take both the AZ and J&J stories and blow them out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ronan Glynn suggested today to the Dáil committee that the current recommendations on AZ could change and they are not set in stone i.e. it's an evolving process and the advice could change again (age cohorts etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

The obvious potential change to me seems to be around gender. At the moment the restriction is on anyone under 60. But my understanding is that the risk is much higher for women. So maybe men under 60 will eventually be allowed use it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

JPup wrote: »
    The obvious potential change to me seems to be around gender. At the moment the restriction is on anyone under 60. But my understanding is that the risk is much higher for women. So maybe men under 60 will eventually be allowed use it again.

On the radio yesterday Luke O'Neill was saying they've actually ruled out gender as a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

JPup wrote: »

That's not clear. The higher incidence in women may be because many of the recipients were health care workers who are mainly female.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Strazdas wrote: »
    Ronan Glynn suggested today to the Dáil committee that the current recommendations on AZ could change and they are not set in stone i.e. it's an evolving process and the advice could change again (age cohorts etc).

Not surprising. I thought yesterday they would do >50 at worse. But they went a bit mad there in the end, but can see it get gradually lowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bye bye summer

We're in a worse position with the vaccines than we were without them

The mental gymnastics involved in constantly taking in simple information, transforming it into some sort of weird negativity or outright lie just to suit your agenda must be absolutely exhausting!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If they roll out a vaccine passport I can understand the 60-70 group being a tad annoyed they must wait 3 months to be fully vaccinated

Surely they’d have to do away with that one! Like the 2nd dose is only a booster to lengthen immunity isn’t it- it barely brings up the efficacy- maybe 5%?
    It’ll be August otherwise, actually maybe even more now if they’re advising the 16wk instead of 12wk gap between doses

Surely they’d have to do away with that one! Like the 2nd dose is only a booster to lengthen immunity isn’t it- it barely brings up the efficacy- maybe 5%?
    It’ll be August otherwise, actually maybe even more now if they’re advising the 16wk instead of 12wk gap between doses
    I hope so otherwise no one will want AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Plus two weeks after the second dose for full immunity so it's either 14 weeks or 18 weeks (if they stick with 16 week interval for certain cohorts).

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

jvoom500 wrote: »
    (Just to clarify, I am a front line worker albeit in an admin role).

I'm always puzzled by this. Surely front line workers are those working on the front line dealing with patients who have or may potentially have covid. I don't understand how the HSE seem to have decided that anyone connected to HSE who have no patient role are front line. The Guards, Teachers and SNAs out there are more front line than many given this title by HSE. And I would see Guards etc mainly as essential workers rather than Front line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    As things stand with AZ it looks increasingly like a non-runner for summer. The AZ concerns will continue to ripple out around the world and upset time frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

muckisluck wrote: »
    I'm always puzzled by this. Surely front line workers are those working on the front line dealing with patients who have or may potentially have covid. I don't understand how the HSE seem to have decided that anyone connected to HSE who have no patient role are front line. The Guards, Teachers and SNAs out there are more front line than many given this title by HSE. And I would see Guards etc mainly as essential workers rather than Front line too.

The HSE went for speed over accuracy. Rather than determine who's what they just aimed to vaccinate anyone who self identified that was on their payroll. Individually validating each individual would be a mess.

Admin role could also involved contact with patients. It may also require access to high risk covid environments within a health care setting. It could also be a critical role whereby if the employee was on unscheduled or extended leave due to COVID the operations of the health care teams on the frontline may be adversely affected.

To borrow a war analogy. The front is rarely just the front.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    As things stand with AZ it looks increasingly like a non-runner for summer. The AZ concerns will continue to ripple out around the world and upset time frames.

Dont get me wrong I will take AZ and be grateful for it but at the same time a bit miffed that my group will be waiting for 15 weeks to be fully vaccinated . Cant be helped but will mean my husband will be fully vaccinated in 6 weeks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

the 16 week wait for full vaccination would put me off az far more than the potential clotting issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Where is Tony?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hitchens wrote: »
    Where is Tony?
    His wife died, so on leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Hitchens wrote: »
    Where is Tony?

His wife passed recently.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I cant be arsed reading the last 10+ pages. Can someone tell me was there much of substance other than J&J is pausing for review?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Miike wrote: »
    I cant be arsed reading the last 10+ pages. Can someone tell me was there much of substance other than J&J is pausing for review?

Not a whole lot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Miike wrote: »

Not really.
    However, it may interest to you know that if you change your posts per page setting you'd have less pages to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Turtwig wrote: »
    Not really.
    However, it may interest to you know that if you change your posts per page setting you'd have less pages to read.

I mean what I was really trying to avoid was posts relating the pausing of J&J to an apocalyptic event :pac:

How do you change that setting though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 JMR46

I felt the need to make this positive post seeing how the thread has been going the last couple of days........

My aunt and uncle, both in their early 70s, got their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today....great relief!! :)

On a side note, is there any update on how the housebound vaccinations are progressing? I know an update was provided in the Dáil a couple of weeks ago saying they had approx 600/1800 done. I have a relative that's 96 who is housebound and awaiting it. I know and understand the reasons why but just wondering was there anything recent on it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement