Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I’m 71 and got Pfizer 1st dose a week ago. Grand. ( though both my younger neighbors go theirs before me. Better half is (late)64 registered last week . No word yet,. She heard at work her practice was giving the vaccine to 55-59 next week. Rang surgery, gave her appointment next week. Astra. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

joeysoap wrote: »
    I’m 71 and got Pfizer 1st dose a week ago. Grand. ( though both my younger neighbors go theirs before me. Better half is (late)64 registered last week . No word yet,. She heard at work her practice was giving the vaccine to 55-59 next week. Rang surgery, gave her appointment next week. Astra. Happy with that.

Good news! Just make sure to encourage her to ring HSE hotline to cancel her MVC vaccine once she gets the text from them. Each place that is freed up is potentially another person that can be called in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Good stuff. My parents have had their second shot nearly 2 weeks now. Not one single side affect between them. They had the pfizer shot.

Yeah my grandmother got both doses of Pfizer back in March and not a bother, not one side effect.

2 of my friends work in hospitals in their 20s and they were both floored for a day after it, 2nd day was like the day before hadn't happened, not a bother on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

:cool:
    revelman wrote: »
    I’m sorry to hear about your ordeal but I think it is important to stress that only a minority of people will have side effects like yours: https://www.businessinsider.com/pfizer-astrazeneca-vaccine-side-effects-not-as-bad-as-trials-2021-4?r=US&IR=T

I’ve had 5 members of my extended family get AZ and not one of them reported a side effect.

For what it is worth, anecdotally, it seems to be the case that if you experienced side effects after the first dose, you are unlikely to get them after the second.

Yeah, I seem to be an exception but not so rare. My brother had similar side effects, may be genetic?

And it was nothing compared to full-blown COVID.

Hope you’re right about the second jab. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

snotboogie wrote: »
    I have no idea how Germany are getting their hands on all these vaccines but they'll hit 40 shots per 100 citizens on Friday. Which will be a 13 day turnaround from 30 shots per 100 to 40 shots per 100.

I predict we hit 40 shots per 100 on the 15th of May. Which would be a 17 day turnaround from 30 to 40 shots per 100.

Germany hoovered up a lot of the extra Moderna that others didn't want. That probably accounts for 1.5-2.0 of those shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

eoinbn wrote: »
    Germany hoovered up a lot of the extra Moderna that others didn't want. That probably accounts for 1.5-2.0 of those shots.
    as i mentioned before, Germany has a 6 week rather than 4 week gap with the Biontech vaccine so thats a full 2 weeks supply head start over Ireland of getting out first doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

as i mentioned before, Germany has a 6 week rather than 4 week gap with the Biontech vaccine so thats a full 2 weeks supply head start over Ireland of getting out first doses.

Maybe that should be the bone that NIAC throw Donnelly when they're deliberating over the revised rollout, "no you can't fill the Aviva with under 50s getting J&J and claim no feasible alternative available, but you can space the Pfizer doses out to 6 weeks"

Also, any adult can get AZ in Germany as long as they have spoken to their GP first. Plenty of people under 60 are getting it in Germany, which helps speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I have no idea how Germany are getting their hands on all these vaccines but they'll hit 40 shots per 100 citizens on Friday. Which will be a 13 day turnaround from 30 shots per 100 to 40 shots per 100.

I predict we hit 40 shots per 100 on the 15th of May. Which would be a 17 day turnaround from 30 to 40 shots per 100.

I'm not sure they have any extra doses compared to us, per capita. They are just doing a great job at getting them into arms quickly.

As of today, I reckon we have received 2.14 million vaccine doses. I'm basing that off 43% of what Belgium has received from here: https://covid-vaccinatie.be/en/doses-delivered

So, we do have enough vaccine doses to be at 40 shots per citizen this week too (but clearly we won't be). I could forgive us falling behind a little bit with the AZ messing, but we should be past that now. We need to see rapid scale up over the next week. And 250,000 doses this week is just not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

They did an deal with some manufacturer before the EU deal was struck which prohibited any other side deals. Not like the Germans to be sneaky though is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The shots per 100, is both first and second doses (total doses). So their 6 week gap over a 4 week gap will not impact the total doses per 100. It will or should only impact the ratio of first to second doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not sure they have any extra doses compared to us, per capita. They are just doing a great job at getting them into arms quickly.

As of today, I reckon we have received 2.14 million vaccine doses. I'm basing that off 43% of what Belgium has received from here: https://covid-vaccinatie.be/en/doses-delivered

So, we do have enough vaccine doses to be at 40 shots per citizen this week too (but clearly we won't be). I could forgive us falling behind a little bit with the AZ messing, but we should be past that now. We need to see rapid scale up over the next week. And 250,000 doses this week is just not enough.

The EU vaccine tracker has us at 2.1m delivered and 1.6m administered and Germany at 35.7m vs 30.6m.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

I think it will speed up going forward, as more vaccines are being delivered and you don't hear about any delays anymore. However I've decided to travel to my home country for the vaccine. They are already vaccinating people in late 30's, early 40's. I got my appointment in two weeks time for Moderna. Will have to go back after 5 weeks for the second jab, but the plan was all along to go home around that time. In Ireland I would probably have to wait another month before getting my first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Saw an article today questioning why pharmacies (with trained staff) aren't already administering vaccines, guessing once the general population point is reached things will really accelerate.

Ballynally wrote: »
    The trouble is, as always, that some people don't know how to read statistics and differentiate. They will continue to make reading errors and wont be open to any change of perception. It is the reason they posted in the first place, unaware of the distinction between different points of data. Then people react to that and the attack and defense game starts on a certain low level, intelligent people should ignore as it just consumes the wrong type of interest and keeps the ball rolling.
    So, my advice in general would be: before you engage ask yourself to what purpose and to what aim? Will it fall on deaf ears? Will it inform anyone and are you open to even the slightest of changes of mind?
    Otherwise it is just point scoring, offense and defense, winning or losing. You know, the usual issues.

You wont change the mind of those posting the nonsense. If left unchallenged some impressionable folks may be taken in by it however

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

To be fair, around ~350k of that has arrived in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    To be fair, around ~350k of that has arrived in the last few days.

True, but the same applies to Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

bladespin wrote: »
    Saw an article today questioning why pharmacies (with trained staff) aren't already administering vaccines, guessing once the general population point is reached things will really accelerate.

Seems to me that we don't have the supply yet to start using Pharmacies seeing as how the MVCs are nowhere near capacity yet?

Open to correction on that.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Seems to me that we don't have the supply yet to start using Pharmacies seeing as how the MVCs are nowhere near capacity yet?

Also we need to open the 8 remaining MVCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Good news! Just make sure to encourage her to ring HSE hotline to cancel her MVC vaccine once she gets the text from them. Each place that is freed up is potentially another person that can be called in.

She was advised to cancel the HSE appointment once it comes. She will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Also, any adult can get AZ in Germany as long as they have spoken to their GP first. Plenty of people under 60 are getting it in Germany, which helps speed things up.

The suggestions today are that something similar will happen here with J & J and AZ for the under 50s. All of NIAC's recommendations are based on the assumption that plenty of other vaccines are available, but if we hit the point that many hundreds of thousands of people need to be vaccinated and we mainly have AZ and J & J available, then that's what they may get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Strazdas wrote: »
    The suggestions today are that something similar will happen here with J & J and AZ for the under 50s. All of NIAC's recommendations are based on the assumption that plenty of other vaccines are available, but if we hit the point that many hundreds of thousands of people need to be vaccinated and we mainly have AZ and J & J available, then that's what they may get.

Aren't we more likely, come July, to have more than enough Pfizer/Moderna and not have need to use up AZ stock at all? What will Govt. do if they have stocks of AZ to use up, but unlimited Pfizer? At some point something like that must happen, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Lumen wrote: »
    The EU vaccine tracker has us at 2.1m delivered and 1.6m administered and Germany at 35.7m vs 30.6m.

That data looks to be a day old. Either way Germany are at 86% of doses administered compared to 76% here. Doses delivered are almost the same with 0.43 in per 100 in Germany vs 0.42 here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The risk is that the over-supply of AZ & J&J only occurs when we get into younger groups where there are genuine concerns about side-effects.

The answer I think, if they won't lower the age limit, is to allow those of us who are middle-aged to volunteer to get these vaccines similar to what other countries have done. I'd personally take the J&J in a heartbeat because it is so convenient.

The longer we dawdle along not making this decision, the more likelihood we end up with close to a million vaccines in late June/July we can't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

1huge1 wrote: »

Correct. Pharmacist's just want on the gravy train before it is over. 50-60 euro for something that a chimp could be trained to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

eoinbn wrote: »
    Correct. Pharmacist's just want on the gravy train before it is over. 50-60 euro for something that a chimp could be trained to do.

My missus getting vaccine later, if I told her a Chimp was doing it I think she might have a problem!

You need to be confident in the person that is administering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That data looks to be a day old. Either way Germany are at 86% of doses administered compared to 76% here. Doses delivered are almost the same with 0.43 in per 100 in Germany vs 0.42 here
    I don't know what the situation in Germany is like, but 19% of our doses arrived last week.

So in context, the absolute maximum that we *could* have administered up to Sunday was 81% of those delivered because the other 19% had only just arrived in the country.

Absolutely we should we be working on ways to speed up the time from arrival in the country to injection into arms, but the speed we're moving at is still insane.

Especially given the arrival of 400,000 doses last week, one would hope we're going to see a massive week this week.

(Source: https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1389944874598912012/photo/1)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Aren't we more likely, come July, to have more than enough Pfizer/Moderna and not have need to use up AZ stock at all? What will Govt. do if they have stocks of AZ to use up, but unlimited Pfizer? At some point something like that must happen, no?

Well they would still need AZ for second doses of course, but there will clearly come a point when they have too many doses for the population. I'm not sure what happens at that point and whether they ask the pharma manufacturer to stop delivering (for the moment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well they would still need AZ for second doses of course, but there will clearly come a point when they have too many doses for the population. I'm not sure what happens at that point and whether they ask the pharma manufacturer to stop delivering (for the moment).
    The overall EU plan is to make any surplus available, most probably to COVAX.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement