Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Turtwig wrote: »
    The scientist said it wasn't that high. He didn't say it was terrible or low, or average. Posters here seem to be dismissing it as a crap vaccine. Am I wrong here?

That 50% figure is dubious in similar ways to an the 10% AZ. Both have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Dosing interval in the Brazil study was two weeks. Even then, none of the participants who received the vaccine were hospitalised with severe covid. In Chile, UAE and Turkey the vaccine efficacy % was much higher.

Other than a quote by someone which could mean all manner of things what evidence is there both for and against the usage of the vaccine?
    Against - Isn't the fact that the Seychelles, who predominantly used this vaccine, going back into lockdown sufficient evidence? Wasn't there a similar trend observed in Chile a while back also. Compared to countries using "western" vaccines, which seem to be working extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Is there any data on how many of these infections led to severe cases in vaccinated people?

I don't think the efficiency figures are particularly useful in themselves, if it was only 50% effective but prevented severe disease it wouldn't be such a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Lumen wrote: »
    That's not quite true. The 191,800 Pfizer doses arrived on Wednesday and the 165,000 AZ doses arrived on Friday. Presumably there was some kind of advance notification of these arriving, they didn't just turn up at Paul Reid's house in Keith from DPD's van.

Keith is your guy too? He’s a great man 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

If anyone needs a reminder why adults of all age groups should be vaccinated, I’m copying and pasting this report from The Guardian just now (on the situation in the Americas):
    Reuters quotes the director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) Carissa Etienne as saying.

In Brazil, mortality rates have doubled among those younger than 39, quadrupled among those in their 40s and tripled for those in their 50s since December, she said.

Hospitalisation rates among those under 39 years have increased by more than 70% in Chile and in some areas of the United States more people in their 20s are now being hospitalised for Covid-19 than people in their 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

that's an interesting one alright. Reposting in case anyone has a better answer, but it shows the "disadvantage" of Astra for those hoping for an early departure out of here. Hopefully 1 shot will suffice for travel.

I’ll admit I was seeing on Finland earlier on (originally I read fully vaccinated but it looks to be 1 jab now).

The concerning bit is with MHQ. That specifically states that you need to be “fully vaccinated”. For AZ that’s 15 days post second jab. The EU is already shipping about it, so wouldn’t be surprised if the Schengan zone required the fully vaccinated rule to enter.

[url] https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/bulgaria/news-and-events/latestnews/exemptions-from-the-requirement-for-mandatory-hotel-quarantine.html[/url]

Full course of any one of the following vaccines:

Regarded as fully vaccinated after:

Pfizer-BioNtech Vaccine: BNT162b2 (Comirnaty®),

7 days

Moderna Vaccine: CX-024414 (Moderna®),

14 days

Oxford-AstraZeneca Vaccine: ChAdOx1-SARS-COV-2 (Vaxzevria®)

15 days

Johnson & Johnson/Janssen Vaccine: Ad26.COV2-S [recombinant] (Janssen®)

14 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hmmm wrote: »
    Is there any data on how many of these infections led to severe cases in vaccinated people?

I don't think the efficiency figures are particularly useful in themselves, if it was only 50% effective but prevented severe disease it wouldn't be such a big deal.
    Here's a Nature article on them and the question of data.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01146-0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

is_that_so wrote: »
    Here's a Nature article on them and the question of data.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01146-0
    $36 per dose, not very competitive considering the efficiency. Better than nothing I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

josip wrote: »
    I think it's perfectly acceptable to come up with our own.
    I'm using 50.5% efficacy; barely qualifies as a WHO vaccine.

We have real world trials. Brazil, Chile, UAE, Indonesia and Turkey to name a few.

Why are you going with the 50% from Brazi? It's a trial conducted in Health Care workers during the peak of a pandemic where there was two weeks between their doses. Recommended by manufacturer was at least 21 days.

Canada approves Pfizer for 12 and up, the first country to do it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0505/1213821-coronavirus-global/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

is_that_so wrote: »
    85K between GPs and pharmacies according to Leo. There has been no stringing along. Groups 1-7 are HSE and GP administered and pharmacies could not participate in those. Their problem is that they are not really suitable locations for this type of rapid mass vaccination approach. They do great work on flu' jabs because people just show up and there is no managed booking system.
    Where you would expect them to play a part is when we get into the much larger groups and anything the MVCs can't do quickly being redirected. That will probably be in June and the under 50s.

There is very much a managed booking system for the first few weeks in flu vaccination season, as things slow down then you can do a walk in but the majority of flu appointments are in the first 6 weeks usually every 15 mins depending on pharmacy size.

Pharmacy figures show over 800 individual vaccination applications committing to a minimum of 100 vaccine and with a good number (around 50) committing to numbers in the hundreds (300-400)

As for stringing along, they have been told they can only administer AZ or J&J and there has been pretty much radio silence for the last 5 weeks since the expression of interest has been closed. Stores were asked what ammendments they made to provide large scale vaccinations and some of them have made significant investments with no response.

As regards, June I agree that was the most likely time they would get involved however with NIAC recommendations they won't be unless they make Liberal use of the no other vaccine clause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Against - Isn't the fact that the Seychelles, who predominantly used this vaccine, going back into lockdown sufficient evidence? Wasn't there a similar trend observed in Chile a while back also. Compared to countries using "western" vaccines, which seem to be working extremely well.

In an of itself no. Vaccines are only part of the equation. Social contacts, infections and proportion unvaccinated are the other.

Apart from Israel, it's too early to tell how Western Countries are faring. The next six to eight weeks for the UK and Ireland will be very interesting to watch.
    Israel's vaccination program was complimented with very strict social control, rules and phased relaxed of those rules.

An argument put forward for Chile was that the vaccinations actually prevented things from being much worse. The profile of disease was most prevalent in those not vaccinated. Chile simply reopened too quickly or let the infection spread too rapidly. They themselves put the efficacy as around 60% which, if reliable, is a pretty effective vaccine.

We need to be very careful we don't let Western exceptionalism bias us towards assuming the reason a country is in lockdown is because of the Chinese vaccine. China could definitely be more transparent but I've seen little real world data to indicate their vaccine doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Just received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine earlier on. Feel fine now atm.

Just wondering from anyone who received the Moderna one if they felt any affects after getting it and if I should be preparing to feel a bit crappy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine earlier on. Feel fine now atm.

Just wondering from anyone who received the Moderna one if they felt any affects after getting it and if I should be preparing to feel a bit crappy

My son got Moderna and was floored with tiredness the next day . His wife had Moderna and only a sore arm

• Registered Users Posts: 13 iheartpooner

Does anyone have any information on how or if the HSE is implementing NIAC’s advice that people who have already contracted Covid-19 can be considered fully vaccinated after one dose of either mRNA vaccine? My googlefu is failing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Turtwig wrote: »
    In an of itself no. Vaccines are only part of the equation. Social contacts, infections and proportion unvaccinated are the other.

Apart from Israel, it's too early to tell how Western Countries are faring. The next six to eight weeks for the UK and Ireland will be very interesting to watch.
    Israel's vaccination program was complimented with very strict social control, rules and phased relaxed of those rules.

An argument put forward for Chile was that the vaccinations actually prevented things from being much worse. The profile of disease was most prevalent in those not vaccinated. Chile simply reopened too quickly or let the infection spread too rapidly. They themselves put the efficacy as around 60% which, if reliable, is a pretty effective vaccine.

We need to be very careful we don't let Western exceptionalism bias us towards assuming the reason a country is in lockdown is because of the Chinese vaccine. China could definitely be more transparent but I've seen little real world data to indicate their vaccine doesn't work.

You can look at the US and UK vs the UAE and Chile to see the difference. Those primarily using Chinese vaccines are stuck on 200 cases per million even after exceeding 100 doses per 100. The UK are at 35 cases per million and the US are at 135 per million at only 70 shots per 100. Its not definitive yet but it is really looking like Sinopharm and Sinovac are not as effective as Pfizer and AZ at reducing infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Is the guy still alive? Remember what happened that doctor from China there who started ringing alarm bells back in 2019

what happened him?

Does anyone have any information on how or if the HSE is implementing NIAC’s advice that people who have already contracted Covid-19 can be considered fully vaccinated after one dose of either mRNA vaccine? My googlefu is failing me.
    Statement last week.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/healthy-under-50s-who-had-covid-to-be-considered-fully-vaccinated-after-one-jab-1.4548886

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

(Bloomberg) -- Seychelles, which has fully vaccinated more of its population against Covid-19 than any other country, has closed schools and canceled sporting activities for two weeks as infections surge. The measures, which include bans on the intermingling of households and the early closure of bars, come even as the country has fully vaccinated more than 60% of its adult population with two doses.

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/world-s-most-vaccinated-nation-reintroduces-curbs-as-cases-surge
    Copyright © BloombergQuint

Have we a Plan B?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

What vaccine were they using?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

What vaccine were they using?

A third of the cases involve people who have had two vaccine doses

Around 60 per cent of vaccine doses used in the country were made by the Chinese company Sinopharm, and the rest by AstraZeneca.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237475-covid-19-news-cases-surge-in-seychelles-despite-high-vaccination-rate/#ixzz6u0o2sEqJ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Croke park seems to be open now for vaccinations. My dad got his appointment for this weekend. 16 days from registering till appointment text. Appointment will be 20 day’s after registering, I assumed all along that they were waiting for croke park to open due to proximity but to be honest a little annoyed so many younger than him got their jabs first due to their eircodes.... I rang HSE live last week and said I could bring him to city west or aviva (or anywhere for that matter) but no it depends on your eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Croke park seems to be open now for vaccinations. My dad got his appointment for this weekend. 16 days from registering till appointment text. Appointment will be 20 day’s after registering, I assumed all along that they were waiting for croke park to open due to proximity but to be honest a little annoyed so many younger than him got their jabs first due to their eircodes.... I rang HSE live last week and said I could bring him to city west or aviva (or anywhere for that matter) but no it depends on your eircode

An uncle in his late 60s living in Marino was sent to City West last week so not sure what algorithm they are using for assignment ...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

(Bloomberg) -- Seychelles, which has fully vaccinated more of its population against Covid-19 than any other country, has closed schools and canceled sporting activities for two weeks as infections surge.

Good thread explaining what is going on in the Seychelles ...

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1389955259410354177

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭donaghs

JTMan wrote: »
    Good thread explaining what is going on in the Seychelles ...

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1389955259410354177

Or he could have just explained that coronavac/sinovac is only 50% or so effective. Hence countries which rely on it like Chile and Uruguay are having the same problems with new COVID outbreaks.

Detailed report in the NY Times on CureVac here.

- On the cusp of announcing the results of its late-stage clinical trial. Results might be announced next week.
    - "CureVac sees itself as a major player in ending the Covid-19 pandemic in Europe".
    - CureVac is also designing a new generation of vaccines with a goal of eventually moving into markets in the United States.

Hopefully the EMA approve later this month and CureVac distribution starts later this month or early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

JTMan wrote: »
    Detailed report in the NY Times on CureVac here.

- On the cusp of announcing the results of its late-stage clinical trial. Results might be announced next week.
    - "CureVac sees itself as a major player in ending the Covid-19 pandemic in Europe".
    - CureVac is also designing a new generation of vaccines with a goal of eventually moving into markets in the United States.

Hopefully the EMA approve later this month and CureVac distribution starts later this month or early June.

Fingers crossed we get good news, and soon.

The more vacines the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Jusy reciveingd mee fsetst dosy if thee middernar vvixena earlyer one. Feeled finre now atms...........

Looking at your post, I think you should seek immediate assistance :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Apologies if it's been asked before, would anyone know how someone aged 60 would be called before a 62 year old? Both registered on their given day and will be vaccinated in the same centre. Is it an eircode thing or is there any reason?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement