Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jellybear wrote: »
    Apologies if it's been asked before, would anyone know how someone aged 60 would be called before a 62 year old? Both registered on their given day and will be vaccinated in the same centre. Is it an eircode thing or is there any reason?

Does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Stheno wrote: »
    Does it really matter?

To me, yes, it does. It's a simple question which I'm hoping someone has an insight into. If you don't, that's fine. Hopefully somebody else will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Myramar

Here's a thing.
    Got my vaccine on Saturday and was very happy to get it and I was also relieved to learn that all the medical staff - even the stewarts in the car park had all been vaccinated to ensure we were safe.
    The I got home and saw that Leako Varadkar was doing vaccines in the Helix
    as a publicity stunt.
    So here's what I asked myself:
    Has he been Vaccinated in order to do this?
    Which Vaccine did he get? did he go to the back of the queue and get AZ or hop to the front and get an MRNA one cos he is a Frontline Healthcare worker! under 50 years old.
    And has he had both jabs so he is fully vaccinated as he would need to be to safely administer the vaccine to vulnerable people.
    Then I see less than one third of Cohort 2 (frontline healthcare workers) have actually been fully vaccinated.

Ireland's COVID19 Data Hub - Vaccinations

Politician elsewhere in the world and making a point of it to stand in line for the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Myramar wrote: »
    Here's a thing.
    Got my vaccine on Saturday and was very happy to get it and I was also relieved to learn that all the medical staff - even the stewarts in the car park had all been vaccinated to ensure we were safe.
    as a publicity stunt.
    Which Vaccine did he get? did he go to the back of the queue and get AZ or hop to the front and get an MRNA one cos he is a Frontline Healthcare worker! under 50 years old.
    And has he had both jabs so he is fully vaccinated as he would need to be to safely administer the vaccine to vulnerable people.
    Then I see less than one third of Cohort 2 (frontline healthcare workers) have actually been fully vaccinated.

Politician elsewhere in the world and making a point of it to stand in line for the vaccine.

Some people are just never happy are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Here's a thing.
    as a publicity stunt.

He hasn’t been vaccinated ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Apologies if it's been asked before, would anyone know how someone aged 60 would be called before a 62 year old? Both registered on their given day and will be vaccinated in the same centre. Is it an eircode thing or is there any reason?

They shouldn't be. It was explicitly stated that regardless of when you registered, they would do it based on age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think that there are bigger things in the world to be concerned about. It is like someone being happy with an iPhone 20 until they find someone else with an iPhone 21. Just be happy that the vaccine is on the way soon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've no specific knowledge of this, but I would say it is highly likely that a younger person could get called before someone slightly older - it hardly makes much difference at all if one is vaccinated a day or two, or even a few days before the other. It would only be a problem if the gap was weeks or even months.

I'm in cohort 7, early 40's with underlying condition. I got a call off my GP this evening. My appointment for a vaccine is confirmed for next Tuesday.
    I work in a supermarket where social distancing is an alien concept to a lot of people, getting vaccinated is a huge huge relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

km79 wrote: »

As far as I know all vaccinators are vaccinated and rightly so . Leo is vaccinating so he is perfectly entitled to be vaccinated .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Don't think so - he said earlier today he was waiting and would take the first one he was offered.

Surprised he could vaccinate people in a centre tbh.

They shouldn't be. It was explicitly stated that regardless of when you registered, they would do it based on age.

Thanks for your reply. That was my understanding as well. Simply asked incase I'd missed something along the way that may have changed the allocation. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

My guess would be the 60 year old may be cohort 4 or 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Myramar

Some people are just never happy are they?
    Now listen here fella. I'm only interested in one thing. And that's bent coppers!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Here's a thing.
    as a publicity stunt.

Him and Micheal Martin and Micheal d Higgins should have been vaccinated at the get go.
    And I'm a SF supporter who detests Leo.

The fact He's a Dr and doing vaccinations is the second reason he should be vaccinated first.

And who bloody cares at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Don't think so - he said earlier today he was waiting and would take the first one he was offered.

Surprised he could vaccinate people in a centre tbh.

I know two pharmacists working in MVC who had a single dose AZ so far but don't know anyone not vaccinated.

To be honest flu vaccinations were done and it wasn't an issue in the winter. Masks and social distancing with around two minutes with a vaccinator. Id imagine it's an extremely low transmission risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Him and Micheal Martin and Micheal d Higgins should have been vaccinated at the get go.
    And I'm a SF supporter who detests Leo.
    The fact He's a Dr and doing vaccinations is the second reason he should be vaccinated first.
    And who bloody cares at the end of the day.

It's part of the plan. Leo is the only cabinet member vaccinated.
    Somehow the entire cabinet is struck down with covid.
    Leo has to step into the breach as Taoiseach...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Moderna have released the results of their booster trial. Booster shots improved immune responses. The subjects received the booster shots about six to eight months after they had received the second dose ...

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1390035488300576774?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Thanks for your reply. That was my understanding as well. Simply asked incase I'd missed something along the way that may have changed the allocation. Thanks again!
    That may be what was intended but not what's happening in all cases.My wife was vaccinated last Tuesday in Sligo,i got mine the following day even though i am 2 years older.My appointment arrived by text with one hours notice.As far as i'm concerned it is not of any significance if a 66 year old was vaccinated a few days before a 68 year old.

• Advertisement

lukas8888 wrote: »
    That may be what was intended but not what's happening in all cases.My wife was vaccinated last Tuesday in Sligo,i got mine the following day even though i am 2 years older.My appointment arrived by text with one hours notice.As far as i'm concerned it is not of any significance if a 66 year old was vaccinated a few days before a 68 year old.

Thanks for your reply. I was simply asking incase criteria had changed as it had been said it was aged based, that's all :)
    Delighted you've both got your first dose :)

Think I've got plenty of replies now so we'll leave it there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's part of the plan. Leo is the only cabinet member vaccinated.
    Somehow the entire cabinet is struck down with covid.
    Leo has to step into the breach as Taoiseach...

He isn’t vaccinated or am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, that's what he wants you to think...

... in the Hollywood version I just outlined :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He was vaccinating people at some stage I seem to recall, so I assume he would have to had a vaccine before he could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭giveitholly

God this pandemic has really brought the worst out on people,abusing doctors because they can't get a vaccine quick enough,the sense of self entitlement from some is pathetic

https://twitter.com/dr_richardceann/status/1390020677978177540?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

God this pandemic has really brought the worst out on people,abusing doctors because they can't get a vaccine quick enough,the sense of self entitlement from some is pathetic

The panic has been caused in large part by the media who keep harping on about the efficacy rates from the trials without referring to the real world effectiveness of all of the approved vaccines in preventing severe COVID. Clear and simple messaging explaining this point from the beginning was sorely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

revelman wrote: »
    The panic has been caused in large part by the media who keep harping on about the efficacy rates from the trials without referring to the real world effectiveness of all of the approved vaccines in preventing severe COVID. Clear and simple messaging explaining this point from the beginning was sorely needed.
    100% this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I was talking to a doctors wife and she told the amount of calls he gets people trying to talk him into giving the vaccine under the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Nobody should be abusing the staff of course but it doesn’t help that Stephen Donnelly went on the news and said that all four vaccines will be available to the over 50s/60s without clarifying immediately that they’d only get offered AZ still. It was pretty misleading and now is not the time for poor communication. Lots of people took it up that all four vaccines where there for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement