Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 41 tamova

I had asked earlier in this thread about younger people with asthma getting vaccine under Group 7, so thought I'd give a heads up to anyone in a similar situation. I just got my appointment for vaccine. I'm in 25-35 age bracket. I submitted a form with my GP. I'm prescribed seretide and ventolin, but a family member with the same age just got it too and he takes becotide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Nobody should be abusing the staff of course but it doesn’t help that Stephen Donnelly went on the news and said that all four vaccines will be available to the over 50s/60s without clarifying immediately that they’d only get offered AZ still. It was pretty misleading and now is not the time for poor communication. Lots of people took it up that all four vaccines where there for them

Is that correct though? There surely can't be enough AZ available to vaccinate the 50-60s.....there must be half a million people at least in that cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭josip

God this pandemic has really brought the worst out on people,abusing doctors because they can't get a vaccine quick enough,the sense of self entitlement from some is pathetic

https://twitter.com/dr_richardceann/status/1390020677978177540?s=19

I would be a bit circumspect about a doctor whose twitter handle is Richard Ceann.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Micky 32 wrote: »

Presumably when they get sufficient Pfizer, the Astra/J&J will be dumped - no point in having second best when supply sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

Just received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine earlier on. Feel fine now atm.

Just wondering from anyone who received the Moderna one if they felt any affects after getting it and if I should be preparing to feel a bit crappy

Got my first dose of it last week and I was fine after it, tender or sore arm for a day or two but grand in general. The 2nd dose might hit a bit harder though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

bantee wrote: »
    Got my first dose of it last week and I was fine after it, tender or sore arm for a day or two but grand in general. The 2nd dose might hit a bit harder though

Do you find yourself looking at Windows or Office upgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Strazdas wrote: »
    Is that correct though? There surely can't be enough AZ available to vaccinate the 50-60s.....there must be half a million people at least in that cohort.

I have no idea how the rollout works but from reading here it appears they’re offering everyone the AZ and presumably if that runs out they’ll switch rather than pause that cohort? I don’t know, I just know that what Donnelly said gave the false impression that there would be some chance of a choice. There’s not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

Panrich wrote: »
    Do you find yourself looking at Windows or Office upgrades?

Ha ha hasn't kicked in yet but time will tell!

I have no idea how the rollout works but from reading here it appears they’re offering everyone the AZ and presumably if that runs out they’ll switch rather than pause that cohort? I don’t know, I just know that what Donnelly said gave the false impression that there would be some chance of a choice. There’s not

I would assume they have nowhere near enough AZ only to vaccinate the over 50s : they've only given 400k AZ doses in the whole of 2021 and they would need at least that to vaccinate the fifty year olds + (which means the other three vaccines must come into play).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I would assume they have nowhere near enough AZ only to vaccinate the over 50s : they've only given 400k AZ doses in the whole of 2021 and they would need at least that to vaccinate the fifty year olds + (which means the other three vaccines must come into play).

I know but it seems to be the case that they’re using AstraZeneca first. In fact when the registration went up for 60-64 the HSE website actually said you will be vaccinated using the AstraZeneca vaccine. That page is gone now but I don’t know if the strategy is the same. In any event, Stephen Donnelly said on the news all four vaccines would be available to the group which gave the impression that people would have some say over the vaccine, and they don’t… I can only assume that’s why people are getting angry at the GP. You may well get offered Pfizer / moderna/ j&j but it still seems to be a case of you get what you get and you don’t get upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

I’d love to know - from those of you who’ve already had the vaccine; how much notice for your appointment at the MVC did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Sparko

Golfwidow wrote: »
    I’d love to know - from those of you who’ve already had the vaccine; how much notice for your appointment at the MVC did you get?

My parents both got 2 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

The reason I ask is that I would have to get cover for work which is not easy in my field. I’m not working from home. Are employers obligated to let employees off work to get the vaccine? I understand that the majority will facilitate but....??

I know but it seems to be the case that they’re using AstraZeneca first. In fact when the registration went up for 60-64 the HSE website actually said you will be vaccinated using the AstraZeneca vaccine. That page is gone now but I don’t know if the strategy is the same. In any event, Stephen Donnelly said on the news all four vaccines would be available to the group which gave the impression that people would have some say over the vaccine, and they don’t… I can only assume that’s why people are getting angry at the GP. You may well get offered Pfizer / moderna/ j&j but it still seems to be a case of you get what you get and you don’t get upset.

Yes, it's very hard to judge how the vaccines will break down for the over 50s. I'd say there will be a fair bit of AZ in there but probably a good bit of Pfizer as well, given that it's the most used vaccine by far.

Probably a bit of a lottery for people - they won't know what they are receiving until they get the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭joeysoap

1 days notice,

Text today, vaccine tomorrow

She has cancelled doctors appointment for next week, ( which she wouldn’t have made If she’d had known of the HSE appointment)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

One of the news programmes I’m sure said they received 400k AZ last week. Some will be for second doses of HCWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

The announcement that all 4 vaccines would be available to the over 50s put to bed the idea that the rollout would be stalled for that age group while wiating for extra AZ or J&J. I don't think that it was ever suggested or implied people could choose which vaccine they would receive. I think the policy of "take what your offered" has been pretty consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Marcusm wrote: »
    One of the news programmes I’m sure said they received 400k AZ last week. Some will be for second doses of HCWs.

No, they received 165k AZ last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Presumably when they get sufficient Pfizer, the Astra/J&J will be dumped - no point in having second best when supply sufficient.

In what way is AZ second best ? - that is quite a statement.

Studies are showing that ALL vaccines are doing exactly what they were designed to do, prevent serious hospitalisation, serious illness.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1385513092533178369

Also, I think if I recall, I read somewhere, will try to dig the link out I posted earlier, in some real world results, AZ surpassed other vaccines.

It is swings and roundabouts of the same coin.

All do exactly what is needed - prevent serious illness.

There is enough vaccine hesitation around as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

I am 57. I was going to wait with registration hoping i would get the JJ vaccine sometime at the end of June and be done with it, when stocks of AZ were depleted because of India stopping exporting and the usual disappointing delivery numbers.
    It seems to me they really intend to keep the JJ for every kind of hard to reach group including the hesitancy people. As there is simply not enough JJ for even those there will be none for the over 50s left. Then, if AZ again fail to be delivered in large numbers i hope Pfizer and Moderna will make up for it. Unless every obese and chronically ill person gets done first i w still be waiting at the end of july, possibly august f the first jab.
    Tell me where i am going wrong w this please..

Ballynally wrote: »
    You're doing nothing wrong.

Please continue dithering so I can take your vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

My wife received text on a Friday morning for a Saturday evening appointment.
    I received a Friday evening text for a Tuesday morning appointment.
    So no real trend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Lumen wrote: »
    You're doing nothing wrong.

Please continue dithering so I can take your vaccine.

My pleasure. I was aiming for JJ but i will take any vaccine. Still going to wait a little longer w registration. If that means you get one first thats fine.
    At this stage the Covid19 numbers are low and even lower when i get called even if i dont wait w registration. A few weeks wont matter much.
    If my dithering is beneficial to you, you are welcome..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Can't find what MVC actually refers to but if you are just referring to the general portal/process : Text Monday afternoon. AZ vaccine Wed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

Can't find what MVC actually refers to but if you are just referring to the general portal/process : Text Monday afternoon. AZ vaccine Wed

Mass Vaccination Centres

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I am 57. I was going to wait with registration hoping i would get the JJ vaccine sometime at the end of June and be done with it, when stocks of AZ were depleted because of India stopping exporting and the usual disappointing delivery numbers.
    It seems to me they really intend to keep the JJ for every kind of hard to reach group including the hesitancy people. As there is simply not enough JJ for even those there will be none for the over 50s left. Then, if AZ again fail to be delivered in large numbers i hope Pfizer and Moderna will make up for it. Unless every obese and chronically ill person gets done first i w still be waiting at the end of july, possibly august f the first jab.

Why would you wait that long to get a jab in July or August when your registration is open now ?

Just register, your not going to have a choice as to what you get, fair enough if J&J is a preference, but they're all excellent vaccines, it really doesn't matter which one you get as they all offer protection

None of the above makes any sense to me to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are only 40,000 people in that hard to reach cohort and about 600K doses of J&J are expected. For some of the over 50s doses could arrive too late and may end up as a "nothing else available" jab for under 50s. As for AZ supplies they finally seem to be getting their act together and Pfizer have repeatedly shown they will do as promised. It's today for the 57 year olds BTW so go and register, the appointment should be in 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Lumen wrote: »
    No, they received 165k AZ last week.

I posted some calculations a few days ago (but can’t find it now) suggesting that we might expect 400,000 AZ vaccines in May. I based this on what the Germans are expecting. 400k would make serious inroads into over 50s.

• Advertisement

revelman wrote: »
    I posted some calculations a few days ago (but can’t find it now) suggesting that we might expect 400,000 AZ vaccines in May. I based this on what the Germans are expecting. 400k would make serious inroads into over 50s.

https://www.boards.ie/mobile/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117060636&postcount=5780
    revelman wrote: »
    Here are German predictions for delivery of vaccines in May and June (as of Friday).

This document outlines the number of vaccines to go to GP offices: https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferprognose_Praxen-Betriebsaerzte_2._Quartal.pdf

The second document outlines the number of vaccines going to MVCs: https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferungen_Bu-Laender_Impfzentren_2._Quartal.pdf

I’m most interested in AZ delivery, as Pfizer looks relatively stable and we will need AZ for over 50s here, especially if J&J doesn’t pull through. So far, the Germans are expecting 3.15 million AZ vaccines in May. Adjusting for population, this would mean 189,975 AZ vaccines for us here in Ireland in May. I am assuming that this is not everything since only the first two weeks of May seem to have AZ deliveries. If AZ deliver in weeks 3 and 4 of May in the same way, we could have 380,000 AZ vaccines arriving in May.

Caveat. These are back-of-the-envelope calculations mixed with speculation so don’t quote me on this! :)

Quoted for the LOLs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement