Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

secman wrote: »
    Mass Vaccination Centres

Of course!!! I knew it couldn't be 'medical'. Thanks '

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

In what way is AZ second best ? - that is quite a statement.

Should be obvious really, actually 4th best at not killing the people who recieve it. That is why we don't give it to under 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Looking for a big Tuesday number this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ballynally wrote: »
    I am 57. I was going to wait with registration hoping i would get the JJ vaccine sometime at the end of June and be done with it, when stocks of AZ were depleted because of India stopping exporting and the usual disappointing delivery numbers.
    It seems to me they really intend to keep the JJ for every kind of hard to reach group including the hesitancy people. As there is simply not enough JJ for even those there will be none for the over 50s left. Then, if AZ again fail to be delivered in large numbers i hope Pfizer and Moderna will make up for it. Unless every obese and chronically ill person gets done first i w still be waiting at the end of july, possibly august f the first jab.
    Tell me where i am going wrong w this please..

Brilliant, made my morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Wednesday number for Germany just came in, like last Wed they managed 1.1 million jabs made up of about 900k first doses, the other 200k second jabs.

Tuesday was 820k made up of roughly 670k first jab and 150k second jabs
    https://impfdashboard.de/

It was asked here recently how Germany was managing to have higher numbers than Ireland for doses administered but I can only think that its because they are using the doses rather than storing them.

On some chart I thought I saw about 25% of irelands stock unused which suggests (if I saw that right) that Ireland is storing Astra and pfizer for second doses unnecessarily. Germany stopped doing that a number of weeks ago so every Astra and Pfizer dose available is thrown out to vaccine centres and GPs as soon as possible rather than hoarded with an abundance of caution

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Wednesday number for Germany just came in, like last Wed they managed 1.1 million jabs made up of about 900k first doses, the other 200k second jabs.

It was asked here recently how Germany was managing to have higher numbers than Ireland for doses administered but I can only think that its because they are using the doses rather than storing them.

On some chart I thought I saw about 25% of irelands stock unused which suggests (if I saw that right) that Ireland is storing Astra and pfizer for second doses unnecessarily. Germany stopped doing that a number of weeks ago so every Astra and Pfizer dose available is thrown out to vaccine centres and GPs as soon as possible rather than hoarded with an abundance of caution

If Ireland can still hit 80% by the end of June when we're holding back doses ill be impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

50% of Moderna is held back at the request of the company, AZ is being used now with the 60-69 group and will be used with the over 50s in a few weeks time. There are a lot of second doses to do with Pfizer so it's not being held back. No idea how Germany has been affected by delays but we've altered our plan 23 times already and we still don't trust what AZ say so yeah caution is the word.

ek motor wrote: »
    If Ireland can still hit 80% by the end of June when we're holding back doses ill be impressed

More likely to be second doses or doses reserved for a particular age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

I think that 80% target is a big stretch at this stage. The age restrictions on AZ and J&J have slowed the process considerably over the past couple of weeks. The easiest way to catch up would have been to extend the gap between doses for the other two to 6 weeks but we’ve opted to stick to 4 instead.

In the long run it’s not such a big deal I think. We’ll definitely be above 80% in July barring a disaster and I expect everyone of school going age and above will be offered a first dose by September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Yep, about 25% sitting round
    In total, 2,116,880 doses of Covid-19 vaccines have been delivered to Ireland as part of the vaccination programme, with 1,621,870 administered as of Monday.

and last week half the doses recieved went into storage.
    Over 400,000 vaccine doses delivered to Ireland last week with 200,000 jabs administered
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-vaccine-roll-out-5429277-May2021/

So, its not the germans being sneaky buggers and doing deals for vaccines (which btw wont be delivered till september at the earliest) that has them getting ahead in the stats, it seems to be more a case of Ireland just not keeping up with ever increasing deliveries , which the numbers show are virtually identical pro rata over the EU (except outliers like Bulgaria, but maybe Ireland can offer them their surplus vaccines seeing as Ireland doesnt need them in a hurry??)

EDIT, yep, germany has used 91,3 % of their vaccines as of this morning after 3 weekdays of vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On some chart I thought I saw about 25% of irelands stock unused which suggests (if I saw that right) that Ireland is storing Astra and pfizer for second doses unnecessarily.
    Nah, not really.

On any given Sunday we have used about 80% of everything that has been delivered up to that Sunday. Last week for example, we had administered 1.6m doses and received 2.1m. However 0.4m doses had only arrived last week. So only 100k doses were actually being "held back".

The reality is that 95% of what arrives in the country is administered within ten days.

Lumen yesterday quite rightly pointed out that we could be even faster. There's no reason why it should take more than a couple of hours for a batch to arrive in the central depot before being redistributed and in someone's arm 24 hours later.

So nothing is being held back, and hopefully we'll see the turnaround time reduced in the coming weeks.

If I had to guess why there's this delay, I would suspect that caution over the reliability of deliveries. That is, after being continually burned, they want to be sure the stock is physically in the country before confirming vaccination appointments. That having to cancel appointments because the stock didn't arrive looks way worse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Know of a 62 year old getting done today which is great, hopefully those int their 50's start hearing soon.

JPup wrote: »
    I think that 80% target is a big stretch at this stage. The age restrictions on AZ and J&J have slowed the process considerably over the past couple of weeks. The easiest way to catch up would have been to extend the gap between doses for the other two to 6 weeks but we’ve opted to stick to 4 instead.

In the long run it’s not such a big deal I think. We’ll definitely be above 80% in July barring a disaster and I expect everyone of school going age and above will be offered a first dose by September.
    It's really 80% offered a vaccine by the end of June with presumably a date. Some have already rejected an offer of a vaccine and more will, so that will be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

33,996 done. Not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

josip wrote: »
    Brilliant, made my morning :D

Yes, that seems a contradiction but let me clarify. This group i mentioned are people hesitant on taking either a particular vaccine or generally hesitant because of perceived dangers of taking any vaccine.
    That is not really what i am at. I am waiting with registration because to me the JJ seems both the fastest and the safest based on current data. One could argue back and forth about the data but i no longer see the point of that looking at the constant online battle raging and i don't want to enter the shark infested pool.
    Suffice to say that i believe most of the current vaccines are safe albeit w mostly short time side effects w particular numbers f particular vaccines.
    I have my preference f JJ and willing to wait a short while w registration to see how the numbers stack up in terms of delivery and vaccine rollout strategy by the state and other actors. I keep doing all the things to keep safe. Things are looking good..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

pc7 wrote: »
    Know of a 62 year old getting done today which is great, hopefully those int their 50's start hearing soon.

I know a few 58 year olds who registered yesterday and were told they'd be contacted in a few weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭josip

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0506/1214053-covid-19-ireland/
    Other vulnerable and hard to reach groups likely to receive the Johnson & Johnson vaccine include the Roma community, Travellers, people living in direct provision, people with addictions, and people in prison

What's the difficulty in keeping track of people in prison?
    I'd have thought they are the easiest group of all to track down for a 2nd dose.
    It's not like they're going to go somewhere or not bother showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

I'd have thought they are the easiest group of all to track down for a 2nd dose.

Probably a lot of people in for short stints that have addiction, mental health issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I have my preference f JJ and willing to wait a short while w registration to see how the numbers stack up in terms of delivery and vaccine rollout strategy by the state and other actors. I keep doing all the things to keep safe. Things are looking good..
    There's no guarantee you will get a choice in July/August. I expect if we have unused AZ and J&J vaccines we will be donating them and using only the mRNA, not offering a menu to people. You'll end up costing yourself 8 weeks of no protection for nothing.

Ironically, I hear talk (was it in the UK?) that people who have received mRNA may get an Astra Zeneca booster if a third jab for variants is required, and vice-versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

pc7 wrote: »

And I know a 60 year old getting done tomorrow. Looking good for the 50's in in Citywest mvc at least.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Not great though. I appreciate why numbers early in the week are low, but Monday was low like a Sunday.

I know underneath it you still have human beings who are entitled to break and bank holidays, but there's no reason this can't be accounted for so that we don't see bank holidays (and eventually weekends) being pinch points.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Only if they are staying in prison.

Between people on release, people being transferred, etc, I'd imagine you'd have quite a few prisoners who could be "missed" in the waiting period and can't be returned to their original cell for the second dose.

You also have to remember that you're sending vaccinators into the prisons. So they have to go in twice if there are two doses.

I have no issue with using J&J for these circumstances tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Yes, that seems a contradiction but let me clarify. This group i mentioned are people hesitant on taking either a particular vaccine or generally hesitant because of perceived dangers of taking any vaccine.
    That is not really what i am at. I am waiting with registration because to me the JJ seems both the fastest and the safest based on current data. One could argue back and forth about the data but i no longer see the point of that looking at the constant online battle raging and i don't want to enter the shark infested pool.
    Suffice to say that i believe most of the current vaccines are safe albeit w mostly short time side effects w particular numbers f particular vaccines.

If I were you, I’d rush to get the first vaccine that was offered to me.

All the approved vaccines are excellent and very effective.

The notion that we can say for certain right now which vaccine is the best or which vaccine is the safest is just wrong. It is like looking at four brand new cars that have been produced by different manufacturers and wondering which one might break down on your first drive. The chances of any of the cars breaking down is so tiny that it is not worth thinking about it.

Even the Mercedes has a chance of breaking down! On that point, see the news about Pfizer and Myocarditis. France is now investigating a link: https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/167442/france-investigates-new-possible-side-effect-pfizer-biontech-coronavirus-vaccine-ansm-myocarditis-heart-israel/

The CDC has said that the background rate of myocarditis in the population is no different to previous years. But we have to take into account that, generally, myocarditis is caused by viral infection in younger people. Because of social distancing, there have bee very few “normal” viruses circulating. So it doesn’t make sense to compare the background incidence of previous years to this year. What this suggests to me at least is that there could indeed be a link between Pfizer and myocarditis in younger people. But it is so incredibly rare that it is not worth thinking about it.

The point I’m trying to make is that there has been a huge amount of misinformation. People think that getting Pfizer is like striking oil while getting AZ is like receiving a left-over dinner. This narrative is utterly false. All the vaccines are excellent. I just wish I was offered any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Going to have to be a big rest of the week to hit the 220k

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

hmmm wrote: »
    There's no guarantee you will get a choice in July/August. I expect if we have unused AZ and J&J vaccines we will be donating them and using only the mRNA, not offering a menu to people. You'll end up costing yourself 8 weeks of no protection for nothing.

Ironically, I hear talk (was it in the UK?) that people who have received mRNA may get an Astra Zeneca booster if a third jab for variants is required, and vice-versa.

Well, as per usual, some people are reading things that are not there.Happens all the time. It starts with the 'so you are saying that', followed by things the person has actually NOT said. I am not asking nor expecting a choice of vaccine. I am simply saying i am weighing the various parameters.
    Before you post re-read..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Going to have to be a big rest of the week to hit the 220k

250k was the target. Going to need 3 huge days from Wednesday to Friday to hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

61 year old, Dublin based, getting AZ in Helix in Sat next, received text last evening, not in group 4 or 7, registered in portal last week

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    250k was the target. Going to need 3 huge days from Wednesday to Friday to hit it.
    220-240K was the target. The week finishes on Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement