Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

We should see a couple of days above 50k doses per day hopefully. The supply is there so no reason not to.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Going to have to be a big rest of the week to hit the 220k
    I do wonder if overshooting the mark last week means we might miss the 220-240k mark this week?

Wednesday-Friday are usually the big days though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

revelman wrote: »
    If I were you, I’d rush to get the first vaccine that was offered to me.

All the approved vaccines are excellent and very effective.

The notion that we can say for certain right now which vaccine is the best or which vaccine is the safest is just wrong. It is like looking at four brand new cars that have been produced by different manufacturers and wondering which one might break down on your first drive. The chances of any of the cars breaking down is so tiny that it is not worth thinking about it.

Even the Mercedes has a chance of breaking down! On that point, see the news about Pfizer and Myocarditis. France is now investigating a link: https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/167442/france-investigates-new-possible-side-effect-pfizer-biontech-coronavirus-vaccine-ansm-myocarditis-heart-israel/

The CDC has said that the background rate of myocarditis in the population is no different to previous years. But we have to take into account that, generally, myocarditis is caused by viral infection in younger people. Because of social distancing, there have bee very few “normal” viruses circulating. So it doesn’t make sense to compare the background incidence of previous years to this year. What this suggests to me at least is that there could indeed be a link between Pfizer and myocarditis in younger people. But it is so incredibly rare that it is not worth thinking about it.

The point I’m trying to make is that there has been a huge amount of misinformation. People think that getting Pfizer is like striking oil while getting AZ is like receiving a left-over dinner. This narrative is utterly false. All the vaccines are excellent. I just wish I was offered any of them.

And there you go. The perfect reason not to enter a debate, like i previously stated.
    The point you are making proves my point of not entering a debate.
    Information/ misinformation depends on where you stand.
    There are simply facts and then there are opinions what those facts mean.
    There is a difference..if you understand what i am saying..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I do wonder if overshooting the mark last week means we might miss the 220-240k mark this week?

Wednesday-Friday are usually the big days though.
    I'd say they forgot about the bank holiday when they announced the 220-240k target this week.

Ballynally wrote: »
    Well, as per usual, some people are reading things that are not there.Happens all the time. It starts with the 'so you are saying that', followed by things the person has actually NOT said. I am not asking nor expecting a choice of vaccine. I am simply saying i am weighing the various parameters.
    Before you post re-read..

Your 'weighing of the parameters' makes no sense though.

Firstly, you can't choose to get a J&J vaccine (or indeed any specific vaccine) in Ireland.

Even if it was possible to choose J&J in the summer, how is that preferable to getting a vaccine now? All of the available vaccines have a good safety profile for your age group.

Your reasoning makes no sense, which is why people are commenting on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

On a separate note, if you think you should vaccinated for any reason, get in touch with your GP.

Friend was talking to his family GP on behalf of his mother with COPD, and the 2 of them ended up getting jabbed that afternoon as he has high blood pressure. He wasn't even asking for himself.

Said it to my partner, who also has high blood pressure. She got in touch with her GP and is getting jabbed this afternoon.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Are group 4 and group 7 all getting pfizer?
    I got pfizer,I'm also group 7 which I accidently found out recently

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Your 'weighing of the parameters' makes no sense though.

Firstly, you can't choose to get a J&J vaccine (or indeed any specific vaccine) in Ireland.

Even if it was possible to choose J&J in the summer, how is that preferable to getting a vaccine now? All of the available vaccines have a good safety profile for your age group.

Your reasoning makes no sense, which is why people are commenting on it.

It does make sense. Some people dont get it, like yourself. Again, stop reading things that are not there and filling in the blanks with your own thoughts.Given these kind of responses i will no longer engage with them.
    I think ive done enough to clarify and people can think of it what they want.
    Im going to leave it alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Just wondering is there any studies ongoing natural immunity post covid vs vaccine immunity?

So all I have found is.
    Natural immunity - Not sure how long it lasts.
    Vaccine immunity - Not sure how long it lasts.

But advised to get vaccine even if you have recovered from covid as the vaccine might give longer lasting immunity.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00501-8/fulltext

I found this study that is suggesting that if you have had covid you probably do not need two doses of a vaccine that the virus will already act as a primer and that only one dose maybe required.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Frustrating to wait when I know in several European countries they're currently starting to vaccinate people from age group 30 to 39. I have asked my GP if it was possible for me to get the vaccine because I have an underlying illness where Covid might cause complications, especially with the risk for blood clots. Apparently no chance since it doesn't mean that Covid would be more severe in me should I get sick. In other words, it doesn't matter how much health risks getting sick would mean because of an underlying condition, they only care whether you might get a severe version of Covid. Also spouse with asthma was told no chance because the asthma would have to be severe. Regular, daily medication for it is not enough.

Meanwhile, they've approved for a nasal spray to be sold in Estonia. It's not a vaccine but apparently still some sort of a prophylaxis that contains antibodies and might stop infections. I wonder if this will be sold anywhere else. Since I can't get a vaccine, I might try if it was available. Don't know if it works but since there are several universities involved in developing it, doesn't sound like a total hoax. Still not sure what to think. I know that Finland is developing a vaccine that is a nasal spray but this is something different.

https://estonianworld.com/technology/the-estonian-invented-anti-covid-nasal-spray-to-hit-the-shelves/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

is_that_so wrote: »
    220-240K was the target. The week finishes on Sunday.

Will need to average 33756 for the next 5 days to make 220k or 37756 to make 240k

Last week on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday we averaged 40k per day, more of that and we'll be fine. Saturday and Sundays do need to be stepped up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just wondering is there any studies ongoing natural immunity post covid vs vaccine immunity?

So all I have found is.

But advised to get vaccine even if you have recovered from covid as the vaccine might give longer lasting immunity.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00501-8/fulltext

I found this study that is suggesting that if you have had covid you probably do not need two doses of a vaccine that the virus will already act as a primer and that only one dose maybe required.

Evidence summary of reinfection and the duration of antibody responses following SARS-CoV-2 infection
    Health Information and Quality Authority, 11 November 2020
    https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/files/2020-11/Evidence-summary_immunity-and-reinfection-following-SARS-CoV-2-infection.pdf

So all I have found is.

I think countries are already implementing that. One shot after clinically proven Covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

seamus wrote: »
    Not great though. I appreciate why numbers early in the week are low, but Monday was low like a Sunday.

I know underneath it you still have human beings who are entitled to break and bank holidays, but there's no reason this can't be accounted for so that we don't see bank holidays (and eventually weekends) being pinch points.

If I calculate correctly, we are only 3151 doses behind last week after 2days, including a day which was a bank holiday. So that is not too bad.
    If we want to reach 220k, that means we need to give 3.3k doses per day (Wed-Sun) more compared to last week.

Now that we have more doses and more vaccination centres, we should do better during the week-ends. 2week-ends ago we vaccinated 20k people (Sat + Sun), last week end we vaccinated 38k people. There is still room for improvement. If we are able to increase this number again this weekend, we should be able to reach the 220k target for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Looking for a bit of advice -

Once my college exams are over and I have some time to myself, would you think it is wise to go visit my granda? He's 83 and fully vaccinated but I'm not.

I might do a rapid antigen test beforehand if I do call up.

Frustrating to wait when I know in several European countries they're currently starting to vaccinate people from age group 30 to 39. I have asked my GP if it was possible for me to get the vaccine because I have an underlying illness where Covid might cause complications, especially with the risk for blood clots. Apparently no chance since it doesn't mean that Covid would be more severe in me should I get sick. In other words, it doesn't matter how much health risks getting sick would mean because of an underlying condition, they only care whether you might get a severe version of Covid. Also spouse with asthma was told no chance because the asthma would have to be severe. Regular, daily medication for it is not enough.

Meanwhile, they've approved for a nasal spray to be sold in Estonia. It's not a vaccine but apparently still some sort of a prophylaxis that contains antibodies and might stop infections. I wonder if this will be sold anywhere else. Since I can't get a vaccine, I might try if it was available. Don't know if it works but since there are several universities involved in developing it, doesn't sound like a total hoax. Still not sure what to think. I know that Finland is developing a vaccine that is a nasal spray but this is something different.

https://estonianworld.com/technology/the-estonian-invented-anti-covid-nasal-spray-to-hit-the-shelves/

Nasal sprays are already used as prophylactics .Betadine is the brand name.
    The active elements are Povidone Iodine.
    Then there is Ivermectin but that is a much debated topic i will leave alone for the moment.
    I went to my town's pharmacy. They didnt know what either Betadine or Povidone Iodine was. I guess the old style pharmacist who had good knowledge including mixing their own medicine has disappeared.
    Nowadays they have computers to look things up. Happens most of the times when you ask a 'difficult' question.

Betadine 'cold defense'. You can get it on Amazon. I think it is produced in Vienna, Austria, so EU..
    They do gargle/mouthwash and throat spray as well..

Edit: Betadine seems US only.sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes go visit him

He'll be delighted to see you

My nana is delighted with visitors since she's vaccinated

She's 93

We visit on a rota basis and still wear masks but she's just thankful for the company

funnydoggy wrote: »

Once my college exams are over and I have some time to myself, would you think it is wise to go visit my granda? He's 83 and fully vaccinated but I'm not.

Just my opinion,but he is unlikely to get sick if you bring it into his household
    No harm to do the antigen beforehand
    If others in the house 50 or over arent vaccinated,Id wait and visit later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes go visit him

He'll be delighted to see you

My nana is delighted with visitors since she's vaccinated

She's 93

We visit on a rota basis and still wear masks but she's just thankful for the company

Oh he would be absolutely over the moon! I think I will. My GF will come too and she'll be fully vaccinated. I'm the weakest link but sure!

Delighted for you KrustyUCC.

Signed,

funnydoggyMTU :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭JPA

funnydoggy wrote: »

Yes, an unvaccinated household is allowed visit a vaccinated household indoors from May 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Nasal sprays are already used as prophylactics .Betadine is the brand name.
    The active elements are Povidone Iodine.
    Then there is Ivermectin but that is a much debated topic i will leave alone for the moment.
    I went to my town's pharmacy. They didnt know what either Betadine or Povidone Iodine was. I guess the old style pharmacist who had good knowledge including mixing their own medicine has disappeared.
    Nowadays they have computers to look things up. Happens most of the times when you ask a 'difficult' question.

I've heard of Betadine. Isn't that iodine-based? The new spray isn't, it has actual antibodies. Those iodine sprays are also not recommended if you have a thyroid illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Not sure if it's been posted but, from the Guardian:

Germany is planning to make the AstraZeneca vaccine available to all adults, irrespective of age and pre-existing health conditions, in an attempt to help doctors shift leftover doses.

(Several reported cases of a rare blood-clotting disorder in people who had received the vaccine led Germany in March to limit the use of AstraZeneca to people aged 60 or older.)

Lumen wrote: »
    Evidence summary of reinfection and the duration of antibody responses following SARS-CoV-2 infection
    Health Information and Quality Authority, 11 November 2020
    https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/files/2020-11/Evidence-summary_immunity-and-reinfection-following-SARS-CoV-2-infection.pdf

So some of this I have seen, also the studies many of with did not go past 100 days, hence why back in November they where saying 3 months immunity post infection then have moved it to 6 months as the studies are ongoing.

The study points to reinfection with different strains not the same strain in most cases if not all.

It does not however compare and contrast covid infection immunity vs first vaccine immunity.

I think countries are already implementing that. One shot after clinically proven Covid19.

Should speed up the program is nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It does not however compare and contrast covid infection immunity vs first vaccine immunity.
    Why would anyone bother studying that specifically? It's not like getting deliberately infected is an alternative strategy to vaccination.

Oh, here's a newer HIQA report.

Duration of immunity (protection from reinfection) following SARS- CoV-2 infection
    Published: 8 March 2021
    https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/files/2021-03/Duration-of-protective-immunity_Evidence-Summary.pdf

I think it's probably an update to the earlier one.

You can access Google, right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Great stuff. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like these "variants of concern" are becoming less concerning as time goes by? Of couse it is important to monitor the situation, but the inital reaction to these variants can only be described as scaremongering.
    And for those who subscribe to the view that a variant will eventually come along which can bypass/escape vaccines, maybe that will happen (hopefully not), but that's a bit like saying don't get in a car in case it's involved in a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Will need to average 33756 for the next 5 days to make 220k or 37756 to make 240k

Last week on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday we averaged 40k per day, more of that and we'll be fine. Saturday and Sundays do need to be stepped up though.
    If we do hit that target we'll break 2m doses by the end of next week.

I've heard of Betadine. Isn't that iodine-based? The new spray isn't, it has actual antibodies. Those iodine sprays are also not recommended if you have a thyroid illness.

Thank you. As always, a medicine is catered for specific patients. I was giving a general discription. Its good to know some countries/companies are (finally) looking at the prophylactic/early onset of Covid19 remedies.
    This should have been in tandem w the vaccination program where all the focus is on.
    The Ivermectin studies are pretty clear. It would have saved a lot of people's lives if they had started those treatments worldwide in the early stage of the pandemic like some doctors in hospitals started to do and got the ball rolling over the next months/year.
    In fact, Ivermectin was already a tried and tested medicine w an excellent safety record. There was no excuse not to roll it out as the news was continuing to be positive.
    But money talks much louder..shouts over those who have actual good data.

And in the EU Ivermectin can't be used/prescribed. That is a criminal offense in my book. As i said, a tried and tested cheap medicine, approved by (even) the WHO.
    With almost no side effects.
    I am waiting for the day it will be widely used, not only on the fringes of the EU (Poland, Chech rep) but everywhere.
    My guess, it will be implemented in an area after the population has been vaccinated and booster shots given with the pandemic turned endemic w small numbers.
    Ie, main profits done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Just back from bringing my father for his second Pfizer jab, he thinks he can practically walk on water now !!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

JPA wrote: »
    Yes, an unvaccinated household is allowed visit a vaccinated household indoors from May 10.

God lord the use of that word annoys the fcuk out of me!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement