Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

JMR46 wrote: »
    I felt the need to make this positive post seeing how the thread has been going the last couple of days........

My aunt and uncle, both in their early 70s, got their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today....great relief!! :)

We need more of this. Brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Update on this week.

All appointments cancelled for AZ. Some clinics will be in a position to vaccinate over 60s with AZ and will make contact on an individual basis

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1382012752546369537?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Miike wrote: »
    I mean what I was really trying to avoid was posts relating the pausing of J&J to an apocalyptic event :pac:

How do you change that setting though?

Control panel -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options -> Posts per page dropdown box. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interestingly, it was Jansen themselves who suspended the J & J vaccine in Europe, 'not' the EU......the Commission say this move was 'unexpected'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Is there a reason why they closed the MVC ‘s .? They closed them until the end of the week but could have asked anyone 60-70 who was willing to queue to come and get AZ ? I would have queued over night for it to be honest . They could have opened them as a walk in with ID for over 60’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

How protected is someone off the first shot of az considering the potential 16 week wait for the 2nd jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hococop wrote: »
    How protected is someone off the first shot of az considering the potential 16 week wait for the 2nd jab?

Very.....well over 70% I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Also very interesting that the FDA director referenced the pause being carried out to allow for the issuing of clinical advice around treatment if it occurred. Interesting that they specially mention what not to use for treatment, heparin based anticoagulants.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1381983910893137927?s=19

That is due to the similarity between CVST and heparin induced thrombocytopenia .
    They want to keep some clarity as to the cause and not exacerbate any reaction .

• Registered Users Posts: 28 3mom4

Just wondering if anyone knows as I can't seem to find the info anywhere. Are GPs finishing the vaccinations for the over 70s with Pfizer before starting on cohort 4 now?

Also what happens if your GP does not opt-in to vaccinating cohort 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

3mom4 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows as I can't seem to find the info anywhere. Are GPs finishing the vaccinations for the over 70s with Pfizer before starting on cohort 4 now?

Also what happens if your GP does not opt-in to vaccinating cohort 4?

This is what the HSE is most likely working on. I’d assume that the MVCs will go to Pfizer do to greater numbers and the GPs get AZ. But it’s a bit of a logistical nightmare.

• Advertisement

In fairness the group is called healthcare workers .
    Nobody denying gardaí and SNAs and essential retail etc are frontline also .
    Edit . Been discussed before , it is a major headache if admin are not vaccinated also , whether wfh or off on leave, as then you will have groups of people coming back into a hospital/ healthcare setting who have not received the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Government considers delay to Pfizer second dose

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/government-considers-delay-to-secondpfizer-jab-to-allow-more-people-to-get-first-dose-40309563.html

This needs to happen, certainly for those under 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Strazdas wrote: »
    Very.....well over 70% I believe.

The HSE is reporting that data from England shows efficacy rising to 76% at preventing symptomatic Covid at 12 weeks, rising to 82% when dose 2 is given after the 12 weeks, and reaches full efficacy. Scottish data suggests that 4-5 weeks after the 1st dose, the risk of being admitted to hospital with severe Covid is reduced by 94%.

Earlier data from the trials is portrayed as AZ reducing symptomatic Covid by 60%, and reducing hospitalisation with severe Covid by 100%.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/immunity.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's a piece on how one UK doctor both identified the potential AZ clotting issue and a diagnostic test for it.
    Prof Marie Scully developed a diagnostic test at University College London hospital after seeing rare side-effect in patient

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/13/how-uk-doctor-marie-scully-blood-clotting-link-astrazeneca-covid-jab-university-college-london-hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hococop wrote: »

Three weeks after receiving the first dose you will have 76% protection and 100% protection against severe Covid-19.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Following a large increase in deaths of older people in Italy. New PM Mario Draghi announces by decree today that all vaccines will be prioritized for use on the over 70's. It has been 10 weeks since vaccines were available in Italy and 65% of the over 85's have still not been jabbed. Unbelievable that countries would not give priority to the group where 85% of covid deaths come from.

I agree. However here, there is a distinct lack of communication to the elderly housebound and their carers about when the housebound vaccination is due with the various state agencies shifting responsibility one to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/government-considers-delay-to-secondpfizer-jab-to-allow-more-people-to-get-first-dose-40309563.html

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand we’d fly through the groups but then is it wrong to go against manufacturers advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ddarcy wrote: »
    This is what the HSE is most likely working on. I’d assume that the MVCs will go to Pfizer do to greater numbers and the GPs get AZ. But it’s a bit of a logistical nightmare.
    I would think the opposite . There are 400k 60-70 so I would think they would be done in MCV’s and Group 4 done after 70-75 in the GP’s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭brickster69

Manach wrote: »
    I agree. However here, there is a distinct lack of communication to the elderly housebound and their carers about when the housebound vaccination is due with the various state agencies shifting responsibility one to the other.

It is unreal honestly. The whole idea of lock downs was to protect the vulnerable and as soon as vaccines come they give them to the Serie A footballers first then 10 weeks laters say " oh maybe we should get the older people sorted now ":eek:

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Sounds like a plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

josip wrote: »
    Am I the only one who gets apprehensive about future posting activity when I see this ? :)
    You're not. I think it's very questionable why threads are being merged instead of the short ones locked and linked to post here instead. Some people are posting about rather specific things that aren't really to do with the general topic, maybe the loonies could be confined to a different thread instead of merging them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand we’d fly through the groups but then is it wrong to go against manufacturers advice?

I believe Pfizer allow up to 6 weeks. I doubt we will go beyond that. Also might only start after we finish the over 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

So if they know how to spot the adverse AZ reaction, and there’s treatment for it, why are we waiting around?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If, as appears to be the case in the trials already completed, dose 1 give 80+% efficacy after 10+ days, and before dose 2, there is sense in considering this. If the marginal benefit of dose 2 after 21 days is an increase in efficacy from 80+% to 95+%, then, I'd prefer to have every 10 people carrying an 80+% risk reduction, rather than 5 ppl with 80+% and another 5 with 0%. In 21 days time, the 5* 0% ppl would still be at 0%, while the 5* 80+% would be improving marginally to 95%.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Here's a piece on how one UK doctor both identified the potential AZ clotting issue and a diagnostic test for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/13/how-uk-doctor-marie-scully-blood-clotting-link-astrazeneca-covid-jab-university-college-london-hospital

First investigations into this was in Norway . It was reported on here . But of course the Norwegians were being blamed for being over cautious by UK at that stage .
    Maybe this followed on from that , but at the time the Norwegians were discussing immune responses causing the CVST and antibodies being examined , the MHRA was saying nothing to see here .
    I am pleased for this Dr Scully and that she has identified a diagnostic test , but really , the UK are forever banging their drum and give no credit to any other country or its scientists , especially if European .

Interesting article though :)

eoinbn wrote: »
    I believe Pfizer allow up to 6 weeks. I doubt we will go beyond that. Also might only start after we finish the over 70s.

Yes, I doubt that they will mess around with over 70s .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good

The more first doses we can get into people the better for the country

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seeing bits and pieces about the Valneva vaccine out of France. It's in early testing phase but apparently can be made quickly if passing all requirements. It contains an 'inactive' version of the virus and apparently has had outstanding results in testing so far. They say it could be used very quickly against new variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Johnson and Johnson have announced the suspension of their vaccine due to the finding of 6 cases of CVST in 7 million doses (less than one case per million), following on from the suspension of Astra Zeneca to all but the over 60s for the same reason. A quick google of peer-reviewed sources suggests that the incidence of CVST in the general population, pre-Covid, ranged from 7 per million to 15 per million. According to an article in the Irish Times( April 12th) there were 223 cases of CVST and another clotting issue (SVT) in 34 million AZ doses - a rate of about 6.5 per million.
    I am no scientist, but the figures suggest that in the vaccinated population there is no greater incidence of CVST than would be expected in the unvaccinated population. In fact, in some studies it's considerably lower. Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Corholio wrote: »
    Seeing bits and pieces about the Valneva vaccine out of France. It's in early testing phase but apparently can be made quickly if passing all requirements. It contains an 'inactive' version of the virus and apparently has had outstanding results in testing so far. They say it could be used very quickly against new variants.

They said the same about AZ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement