Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭JPA

God lord the use of that word annoys the fcuk out of me!

That is just lifted from the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/lidl-to-stock-covid-antigen-tests-nationwide-1122557.html

Lidl to sell antigen tests from next week . 5 tests for €25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been posted but, from the Guardian:

Germany is planning to make the AstraZeneca vaccine available to all adults, irrespective of age and pre-existing health conditions, in an attempt to help doctors shift leftover doses.

(Several reported cases of a rare blood-clotting disorder in people who had received the vaccine led Germany in March to limit the use of AstraZeneca to people aged 60 or older.)

The right decision and the Uber-cautious approach of some of the EU member states to AstraZeneca should be rightly pilloried. I travelled to Belfast earlier in the week for my first dose AstraZeneca vaccine (I’m 30, and they are now vaccinating the 30+ age group in NI — quite remarkable). The risks were explained, I accepted the risks, the same way I accept many forms of risk as part of living my life.

What I feel is almost being forgotten in the whole political and media narrative around the ongoing restrictions is that we are no longer in lockdown because of the old favourite Paddy Wants A Houseparty line — we are in it because of State and EU incompetence.

Russman wrote: »
    Just back from bringing my father for his second Pfizer jab, he thinks he can practically walk on water now !!:D:D

Make sure he waits 2 weeks before he does

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pfizer to offer vaccines to all of the Irish Olympic and Paralympic athletes along with support teams ahead of the games in beginning at end of June.

It's expected to be in the hundreds & is outside of the existing deliveries into Ireland.

Edit: Looks like they are going to do this for all countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Mom booked in for dose one of AZ in Páirc Ui Chaoimh on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Pfizer to offer vaccines to all of the Irish Olympic and Paralympic athletes along with support teams ahead of the games in beginning at end of June.

It's expected to be in the hundreds & is outside of the existing deliveries into Ireland.

Edit: Looks like they are going to do this for all countries

Pfizer are getting phenomenal PR out of all this! Fair play to them. They've been brilliant throughout the past few months. We'd be lot without that vaccine (credit to Biontech too of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/lidl-to-stock-covid-antigen-tests-nationwide-1122557.html

Lidl to sell antigen tests from next week . 5 tests for €25

FFS, Lidl & Aldi the only supermarkets you can go to in order to purchase groceries & leave with a wet suit, Electric scooter & now antigen testing kits :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Yup confirmed now Pfizer offering all countries
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1390260246489206784?s=21
    What a fantastic gesture

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Certain cohort not happy with one shot instead of two.

https://twitter.com/NewsForAllIre/status/1390035965146812417?s=20

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

He's never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

My father is 68 and still awaiting word on his vaccine. Tried to call them last week and they confirmed he was registered correctly and would just need to wait. This seems contrary to the original indications that vaccines would roll out in order of age.

Are many others in their late 60s still awaiting a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Yup confirmed now Pfizer offering all countries
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1390260246489206784?s=21
    What a fantastic gesture

What is it about sport that separates it from everything else?
    And, instead of applauding Big Pharma for a few free vaccins, how about them focussing on places like India and supporting the effort to save lives right now, like producing Ivermectin on a grand scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Frustrating to wait when I know in several European countries they're currently starting to vaccinate people from age group 30 to 39. I have asked my GP if it was possible for me to get the vaccine because I have an underlying illness where Covid might cause complications, especially with the risk for blood clots. Apparently no chance since it doesn't mean that Covid would be more severe in me should I get sick. In other words, it doesn't matter how much health risks getting sick would mean because of an underlying condition, they only care whether you might get a severe version of Covid. Also spouse with asthma was told no chance because the asthma would have to be severe. Regular, daily medication for it is not enough.

While this wait is frustrating, it's actually a really good sign for vaccine take up in Ireland, if a country is going down the list quickly it means take up is low and chances of herd immunity are low, the US seems to be heading that way with vaccines being wasted and second dose takeup not being great.

And if you're deemed medically not at risk, then you're not at risk, leave the GP alone and wait your turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Well, if you dig hard enough, you can find a way to be outraged by anything. Convenience is a new one however.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

funnydoggy wrote: »
    He's never happy.

Those people are lucky to be getting anything at all with their carry-on recently. Not only that but because Jannsen is going to be going to them first they're probably going to be vaccinated faster than the rest of us

Ballynally wrote: »
    And, instead of applauding Big Pharma for a few free vaccins, how about them focussing on places like India and supporting the effort to save lives right now, like producing Ivermectin on a grand scale?
    Why You Should Not Use Ivermectin to Treat or Prevent COVID-19

maybe thats why

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Great stuff. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like these "variants of concern" are becoming less concerning as time goes by? Of couse it is important to monitor the situation, but the inital reaction to these variants can only be described as scaremongering.
    And for those who subscribe to the view that a variant will eventually come along which can bypass/escape vaccines, maybe that will happen (hopefully not), but that's a bit like saying don't get in a car in case it's involved in a crash.

Watched a Dr Campbell video about the Indian scariant. He’s claiming the indian scariant is out competing the UK scariant and is possibly more transmissable than the UK one ffs!! The good thing is he’s also claiming the vaccines are effective against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Yes, the government are at fault for the community's failure to integrate...

Flouting the public health restrictions to hold multiple super-spreader events is really conducive to integrative behaviour, John.

If only they were as concerned about the effects of COVID as they are about the (rarer) side effects of a safe, efficacious vaccine... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ballynally wrote: »

Maybe because it's not approved as a treatment for covid & would need large scale tests & current small scale trials show no evidence that it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doesn't surprise me he's off flapping his gums about vaccines. He threw his hat in the ring with the conspiracy nutjobs a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Well, if you dig hard enough, you can find a way to be outraged by anything. Convenience is a new one however.

Yes. And do you think this thread here would do well on Twitter?I dont think so.
    Twitter is the devil's instrument.
    Dont play it..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He'll get the same answer from the HSE to every other whingeing group is that they will decide who gets what.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

astrofool wrote: »
    While this wait is frustrating, it's actually a really good sign for vaccine take up in Ireland, if a country is going down the list quickly it means take up is low and chances of herd immunity are low, the US seems to be heading that way with vaccines being wasted and second dose takeup not being great.

And if you're deemed medically not at risk, then you're not at risk, leave the GP alone and wait your turn!

You make it sound like I was calling my GP non-stop pestering the poor guy for a vaccine. I simply asked while I was visiting my GP for an after surgery checkup. And of course we'll wait for our turn, what else would we do?

Going down the list quickly doesn't always mean no-one is taking it. Several European countries are now vaccinating younger people because they've been vaccinating several groups at the same time and almost around the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

irishbuzz wrote: »
    My father is 68 and still awaiting word on his vaccine. Tried to call them last week and they confirmed he was registered correctly and would just need to wait. This seems contrary to the original indications that vaccines would roll out in order of age.

Are many others in their late 60s still awaiting a vaccine?

Mother is 67 and just got her first in last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

GLaDOS wrote: »
    On a separate note, if you think you should vaccinated for any reason, get in touch with your GP.

Friend was talking to his family GP on behalf of his mother with COPD, and the 2 of them ended up getting jabbed that afternoon as he has high blood pressure. He wasn't even asking for himself.

Said it to my partner, who also has high blood pressure. She got in touch with her GP and is getting jabbed this afternoon.
    This is totally dependent on where you live and if your GP is doing the jabs! My husband and I are both cohort 7 (though the GP’s receptionist thinks we should be 4!), and when my husband rang, he was told that they are still doing over 70s and not doing cohorts 4 or 7 yet. We are now both registered on the portal though as late 50s so will probably be called for that faster. In the meantime we will continue our hermit lives for a few weeks longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Not the prettiest reading in the world at the moment. Hopefully we have massive days over Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 80 May 4th
    Lithuania 39.5 May 5th 12
    Germany 39 May 5th 11
    Spain 38.5 May 4th 11
    Austria 37.5 May 5th 8
    Denmark 37 May 4th 8
    Estonia 37 May 5th 7
    Italy 36.5 May 5th 6
    Belgium 36 May 5th 5
    Finland 35 May 5th 3
    Portugal 35 May 5th 3
    Sweden 34.5 May 5th 2
    France 34.5 May 3rd 4
    Luxembourg 34 May 4th 2
    Netherlands 33 May 2nd 2
    Cyprus 33 May 1st 3
    Ireland 33 May 4th 0
    Poland 32.5 May 4th -1
    Slovenia 32.5 May 5th -2
    Czech Rep 32 May 5th -3
    Greece 32 May 5th -3
    Slovakia 31.5 May 5th -4
    Romania 28.5 May 4th -9
    Croatia 24 May 5th -19
    Latvia 18 May 5th -31
    Bulgaria 12.5 May 5th -42

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Update:
    Felt fine in the office yesterday, home full dinner, about 830 pm started feeling warm. In bed at 9:30 pm wth a raging temperature, continued taking paracetamol . Eventually temperature passed at 3:00am. So far that's the only side effect, fingers crossed.

Update:
    Seem to be back to normal, just a tenderness in the arm, happy out, had resigned myself to getting full basket of side effects and anything less would be a bonus :) age 63 and vaccinated on Tuesday morning.

Good luck to everyone waiting and those booked for first jab .

• Advertisement

Germans are looking to offer AZ to anyone who wants it. The right decision.
    https://www.thelocal.de/20210506/will-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-be-offered-to-all-adults-in-germany/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement