Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Germans are looking to offer AZ to anyone who wants it. The right decision.
    https://www.thelocal.de/20210506/will-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-be-offered-to-all-adults-in-germany/

I'll have one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

snotboogie wrote: »
    Not the prettiest reading in the world at the moment. Hopefully we have massive days over Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 80 May 4th
    Lithuania 39.5 May 5th 12
    Germany 39 May 5th 11
    Spain 38.5 May 4th 11
    Austria 37.5 May 5th 8
    Denmark 37 May 4th 8
    Estonia 37 May 5th 7
    Italy 36.5 May 5th 6
    Belgium 36 May 5th 5
    Finland 35 May 5th 3
    Portugal 35 May 5th 3
    Sweden 34.5 May 5th 2
    France 34.5 May 3rd 4
    Luxembourg 34 May 4th 2
    Netherlands 33 May 2nd 2
    Cyprus 33 May 1st 3
    Ireland 33 May 4th 0
    Poland 32.5 May 4th -1
    Slovenia 32.5 May 5th -2
    Czech Rep 32 May 5th -3
    Greece 32 May 5th -3
    Slovakia 31.5 May 5th -4
    Romania 28.5 May 4th -9
    Croatia 24 May 5th -19
    Latvia 18 May 5th -31
    Bulgaria 12.5 May 5th -42

Denmark is doing incredibly well given that it is not using AZ or J&J. I’d hate to see our rate if we were doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Tbh the FDA has been a bit neglectful regarding ivermectin. They should be facilitating large-scale trials of the drug rather than issuing PSAs about "horse medication".

This is the same agency that approved Redemsevir on an emergency basis, despite the fact that it was subsequently proven to be useless for treating Covid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tuesday April 27th: 34,492
    Tuesday May 4th: 33,996

Broken down by vaccine (Pfizer/AZ/Moderna)
    Tuesday April 27th (19k/12k/3k). Only 35% AZ
    Tuesday May 4th (12k/20k/1.6k). 59% AZ

If I were to guess, due to the Bank Holiday, a large bulk of yesterday’s vaccinations were at MVCs and GPs got deliveries yesterday normally received on a Monday

I’d expect an absolute bumper Wednesday, and a big weekend with MVCs starting to fire

• Registered Users Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Germans are looking to offer AZ to anyone who wants it. The right decision.
    https://www.thelocal.de/20210506/will-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-be-offered-to-all-adults-in-germany/

No reason that can't happen here with AZ and J & J. It might well come into play in June when we're vaccinating the under 40s and people are anxious to be vaccinated quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Maybe because it's not approved as a treatment for covid & would need large scale tests & current small scale trials show no evidence that it works

yes, it is not approved for use against Covid19. And yes, they insist on large scale randomized control tests. The cue here is the word 'large'. We are talking 1000s of people. Can only done by governments or Big Pharma. Costs a huge amount of money so usually done by Big Pharma, recouping those trial costs by selling expensive medicines. Ivermectin is cheap and have been given to 10s of 1000s of people as treatment against parasitic infection without any serious side effects.(edit, in fact over 5 billion! See my future post.)
    Tried, trialled and tested, recently succesfully against Covid19 infection even though it is a virus. The safety data is overwhelmingly positive.
    Used by many doctors on the frontline. The WHO has recently reviewed a paper that had collected dozens of randomized control tests, many small ones accumulated. The WHO even concluded that the tests showed a reduction in infection of over 50%.
    (The FDA wont look at the data.) So, the scientific evidence is there.
    BUT, the official line is that these type of tests, being small scale have to be called BIASED with a high uncertainty. Therefor no, not ok to be used, unless Big Pharma do the proper big number tests which they wont because there is no money in it, but there is, of course, money to be made w vaccins.
    Edit: i have removed some incorrect information previously posted.
    Governments could, the NHS could, the WHO could (but wont because of sponsorship issues), the UN could. NGOs could. None do. All the money on vaccines.
    It is criminal imo.

I could give some links but am on mobile atm.
    I do know there is excellent info about Ivermectin on the FLCCC website.
    Many medical professionals have turned the corner on this but cannot make the Big Pharma/ medical institutions/governments change their course.
    The blinkers are on atm. Its vaccines all the way.

EDIT: i have been tapped on the shoulder by a site moderator and asked not to use the words Big Pharma. Because it might be hinting at a conspiracy theory. So i have to signal my virtue to say "no, i am not in THAT camp".
    A moot point imo. So, i could say 'big pharmaceutical companies' instead of BP and i will be in the clear. I maintain there is a concentrated effort by the..big pharmaceutical companies..to halt certain alternative approaches of going ahead.
    I dont really care what you call that but it is pretty clear that they are.
    Just calling it out puts you in a certain camp.
    You know, the binary approach..

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

marno21 wrote: »
    Tuesday April 27th: 34,492
    Tuesday May 4th: 33,996

Broken down by vaccine (Pfizer/AZ/Moderna)
    Tuesday April 27th (19k/12k/3k). Only 35% AZ
    Tuesday May 4th (12k/20k/1.6k). 59% AZ

If I were to guess, due to the Bank Holiday, a large bulk of yesterday’s vaccinations were at MVCs and GPs got deliveries yesterday normally received on a Monday

I’d expect an absolute bumper Wednesday, and a big weekend with MVCs starting to fire

I’d agree. I heard that two local GPs here in Cork had their busiest day yet for vaccinations yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ballynally don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Moderna have released the initial results of their trial in 12 -17 year olds.

96% efficacy. No serious safety problems identified so far. (Pfizer reported 100% efficacy in 12-15 year olds).

Moderna are in talks with regulators about expanding their emergency authorisation to 12+.

Looks like we will have at least 2 vaccines to use when we start vaccinating 12-15 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

George Lee reports that 55% of over 60s (i.e. 60 - 69) have now been vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

JTMan wrote: »
    Moderna have released the initial results of their trial in 12 -17 year olds.
    Link is broken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Lumen wrote: »
    Link is broken

Sorry, fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

GLaDOS wrote: »
    On a separate note, if you think you should vaccinated for any reason, get in touch with your GP.

Friend was talking to his family GP on behalf of his mother with COPD, and the 2 of them ended up getting jabbed that afternoon as he has high blood pressure. He wasn't even asking for himself.

Said it to my partner, who also has high blood pressure. She got in touch with her GP and is getting jabbed this afternoon.

I didn't realise you might get a vaccine for high blood pressure. Where does it mention that as had a look and can't see it listed. Don't want to go ringing the doctor unless I'm sure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Both my parents now have one dose, absolutely delighted, they were in the Helix today and chatting and were told Helix is hoping to ramp up (lol hate that word now!) to 5k a day in coming weeks. Really feels like everyone I talk to in work now has family and friends getting there. Super news.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Necro wrote: »
    Ballynally don't post in this thread again

Apologies, i got carried away w Ivermectin. I am going to go on that separate thread for that.
    Is it ok to otherwise post on this thread if i promise to state relevant things?
    I have if you check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Micky 32 wrote: »

These are great stats but down to 3.4% from before isnt a neglible mortality rate. Just shows how important that its a double pronged benefit along with prevention of transmission. Also highlights why its important for as much of the population to be vaccinated as possible.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

s_carnage wrote: »
    I didn't realise you might get a vaccine for high blood pressure. Where does it mention that as had a look and can't see it listed. Don't want to go ringing the doctor unless I'm sure.
    I'm not sure it does say it anywhere, my partner says it was on the HSE website initially, and then removed. It's why she didn't check with her GP until now. All I can say is I personally know 2 people who got the jab for high blood pressure.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/lidl-to-stock-covid-antigen-tests-nationwide-1122557.html

Lidl to sell antigen tests from next week . 5 tests for €25

I should know by now, but are these the tests that might tell you if you've EVER had it, if antibodies stay in your system for a while, or just whether you have it now?

edit, I'm thinking of antibody tests amen't I.

But the antigen tests were those ones up the nose? How do you self administer that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

1huge1 wrote: »
    Just got my vaccine from my local GP, I'm 31 and in Cohort 7 (I think). Absolutely delighted. Very well run as well I have to say.

The relief is unbelievable.

For anyone that is interested, c. 28hrs after vaccine, not a single side effect (other that a very slightly sore arm :D ).

For anyone who has a fear of needles, this was the most unobtrusive needle I've ever experienced, if I wasn't actually looking at him, I'd almost swear I didn't even have one, half a second at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I should know by now, but are these the tests that might tell you if you've EVER had it, if antibodies stay in your system for a while, or just whether you have it now?

edit, I'm thinking of antibody tests amen't I.

But the antigen tests were those ones up the nose? How do you self administer that?

Yes it still does go up your nose, you can do it yourself or have someone do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

42,000 done yesterday according to Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

250k to 270k next week
    Over 50 administering to begin
    Over 70 dose 2s to begin
    Over 60 dose 1s to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Between 250,000 - 270,000 vaccinations is the plan for next week according to the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'm not sure it does say it anywhere, my partner says it was on the HSE website initially, and then removed. It's why she didn't check with her GP until now. All I can say is I personally know 2 people who got the jab for high blood pressure.

Perfect, worth a phone call anyways. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

Dad got the vaccine today in the Aviva, just home and chuffed.
    Got off the train at 11:20, and was sitting in the observation area after the vaccine by 11:35, he couldn't believe how fast everything was ran down there

adam240610 wrote: »
    Dad got the vaccine today in the Aviva, just home and chuffed.
    Got off the train at 11:20, and was sitting in the observation area after the vaccine by 11:35, he couldn't believe how fast everything was ran down there

Good stuff, sounds like the teething issues around queues etc at the Aviva have been worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I think it's luck of the draw - 1hr for me yesterday in Aviva lunchtime - when I arrived I was at the far end of the building in queue to register. by the time I had registered and moved around to the next queue, there was no one queueing to register. It took a friend who was there midafternoon yesterday 90 mins to get in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm sure the answer to this, maybe silly question, is an obvious "yes", but presumably if, for the sake of argument, Cork got all their 60s finished, they then start into their 50s and don't have to wait for, say, Galway to be finished their 60s too ?
    This being the case, I don't know why people were getting their knickers in a twist last week at the thought of some cohorts potentially being done in parallel, sure there's always going to be overlap to a greater or lesser degree. I know its a different situation, but still.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Russman wrote: »
    This being the case, I don't know why people were getting their knickers in a twist .

If Covid has shown us anything this last year is that people will get their knickers in a twist about god damn everything!

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    I'm sure the answer to this, maybe silly question, is an obvious "yes", but presumably if, for the sake of argument, Cork got all their 60s finished, they then start into their 50s and don't have to wait for, say, Galway to be finished their 60s too ?
    This being the case, I don't know why people were getting their knickers in a twist last week at the thought of some cohorts potentially being done in parallel, sure there's always going to be overlap to a greater or lesser degree. I know its a different situation, but still.

As you say there's always going to be overlap, sure we had 60-69 starting before all over 70 were done.

It's not a case of waiting for one group to finish before going onto the next.

I don't know why people were so up in arms about 40's and 50s running together for example, it'll happen as some point anyway as we have now with other ages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement