Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lumen wrote: »
    I have commented before in this thread about how Israel opened up at around 50-55% population vaccinated with at least one dose. Turns out this equates to around 80% of the adult population.

This is possibly where the "80% of adults offered a vaccine by the end of June" target comes from.

Unfortunately Israel has a much larger youth population than we do, which means our 80% of adults is something like 62% of the total population.

This is worth knowing when using sources like OWID which have per capita stats only.

In the last month we've added about 10% per capita vaccinated with at least one dose, and at that rate it will take us until the end of August to reach 62% per capita.

But sure, the ramp up is just around the corner, right?

edit: using more recent trends, i.e. the last week in OWID, puts us at about 13 weeks from hitting that target, so early August.

Also, I noticed that FF is now using the % adults without identifying that it's only the adults. From Donnelly's FB...

I welcome sanity checks of my maths.

Why are you surprised? It's always been adults in the calculations and 80% is those offered first shots. HSE predictions suggest the ramp up is coming and we may be looking at closer to 300K next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lumen wrote: »
    I have commented before in this thread about how Israel opened up at around 50-55% population vaccinated with at least one dose. Turns out this equates to around 80% of the adult population.

This is possibly where the "80% of adults offered a vaccine by the end of June" target comes from.

Unfortunately Israel has a much larger youth population than we do, which means our 80% of adults is something like 62% of the total population.

This is worth knowing when using sources like OWID which have per capita stats only.

In the last month we've added about 10% per capita vaccinated with at least one dose, and at that rate it will take us until the end of August to reach 62% per capita.

But sure, the ramp up is just around the corner, right?

edit: using more recent trends, i.e. the last week in OWID, puts us at about 13 weeks from hitting that target, so early August.

Also, I noticed that FF is now using the % adults without identifying that it's only the adults. From Donnelly's FB...

FB-IMG-1620365483490.jpg

I welcome sanity checks of my maths.

It's always been the adult population referenced for the 80% , makes sense for trackers with percentages to track based on the 16+ adult population

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread, just wondering if anyone know how it works on a county by county rollout on age group?

My aunt (69) in Tipperary got her first jab today 2 weeks ago.
    My uncle (66) in Tipperary got his first jab on Tuesday of this week.
    My mother (63) in Tipperary hasn't recieved a text yet.

Is that NR or SR?

My 60 year old neighbour was vaxxed in Nenagh yesterday, 9 days after registration.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Paul Reid says 46k done yesterday

No wonder they ran out in the Helix!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The regulators can't just ignore the clotting issue. If anything, the fact that it's being taken seriously should increase confidence in the vaccine rollout.

In the UK, the MHRA released the latest data today. There have now been 49 deaths in the UK from a CVST following vaccination with Astrazeneca. They have also confirmed for the first time that the risk is higher in women than men, but not by a large margin.

Reports are now emerging that the UK will raise the age restriction to 40:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-astrazeneca-blood-clots-cases-latest-b1842455.html

I am very much in favour of vaccines, but it's not right to stick our fingers in our ears and pretend there's no safety issue with Astrazeneca.

Its an interesting one.

100% agree - the regulators can't just ignore it. I've scanned the article (will read this evening in detail) and they say that people "had issues" with the vaccine - but they don't suggest that any of them died.

AFAIK, there is already a treatment available for these extremely rare blood clots (I'm virtually certain I heard Luke O'Neill or somebody saying this).

So the data suggests about 1 in 100,000 have "any issue" with the vaccine. There is no suggestion that anybody died.

As this issue can now be treated, I am still of the opinion that any age-based restrictions are excessive.

This is my understanding and interpretation anyway. I could be wrong and might have missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

TheDoctor wrote: »
    No wonder they ran out in the Helix!

No way ??

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

165,000 AZ vaccines arrive today, according to RTE Radio 1 just now.

This is considerably more than what the Germans were predicting (pro rata). If this keeps up every week this month, we could have well over 600k AZ arriving this month, which will go along way to cover the J&J delay. But who knows with AZ? Fingers crossed.

Anyone hearing stories of some GP practices given vaccines to family and friends (each of whom does not have an underlying condition and is under the age of 50)?

I do not understand how this is possible. The traceability system must be terrible. I guess loopholes could exist with "leaky vaccines" and such. I wonder though when such people actually receive their designated dose, what happens this dose.

I was thinking the vaccine passport might be a clue, but I bet that will be a joke also.

I feel like a sucker waiting for my turn when others, typical Ireland, get it through a close connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

revelman wrote: »
    165,000 AZ vaccines arrive today, according to RTE Radio 1 just now.

This is considerably more than what the Germans were predicting (pro rata). If this keeps up every week this month, we could have well over 600k AZ arriving this month, which will go along way to cover the J&J delay. But who knows with AZ? Fingers crossed.

Out of curiosity, anyone know the turnaround time from the shots arriving in country, to getting out to the MVCs ? Presumably there's paperwork/bureaucracy etc involved. Next day ?

Anyone hearing stories of some GP practices given vaccines to family and friends (each of whom does not have an underlying condition and is under the age of 50)?

I do not understand how this is possible. The traceability system must be terrible. I guess loopholes could exist with "leaky vaccines" and such. I wonder though when such people actually receive their designated dose, what happens this dose.

I was thinking the vaccine passport might be a clue, but I bet that will be a joke also.

I feel like a sucker waiting for my turn when others, typical Ireland, get it through a close connection.
    We did 46K yesterday, so how many of those were based on nepotism? Using up vaccines with random people will happen but we're not back in February on supplies now.

• Advertisement

Don't be worrying about it, in the next few months everyone will be done. Don't see what difference waiting a few weeks will do for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Russman wrote: »
    No way ??

On the radio this morning. Apologising to a few people who had appointments yesterday, showed up and they had none left.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Don't be worrying about it, in the next few months everyone will be done. Don't see what difference waiting a few weeks will do for anyone.

I honestly think guards should be receiving these leftover does, not non-essential workers. People who are non vaccinated can still get the virus, so it is still here, and we're only a mutation away from more people getting really sick.

COVID has really shown the weaknesses of Western countries; all that nonsense of standing together and helping each other out is just propaganda. What happens on the ground level is so much different that high-level stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Is that NR or SR?

My 60 year old neighbour was vaxxed in Nenagh yesterday, 9 days after registration.

SR. Interesting. We'd be about same distance from Nenagh as Clonmel here. It'll be done in a week or so anyway I'd imagine but seems a bit of mismanagement.

is_that_so wrote: »
    We did 46K yesterday, so how many of those were based on nepotism? Using up vaccines with random people will happen but we're not back in February on supplies now.

I'm not questioning all GPs, just the non-professional practices. Front-line workers should get leftover vaccines, not some non-essential nitwit.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Paul Reid says 46k done yesterday

That’s the stuff!!!

Local gp practice are not doing any more cohort 7 vaccinations and directing people to the portal
    Thats a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Local gp practice are not doing any more cohort 7 vaccinations and directing people to the portal
    Thats a disgrace

This has got to be sorted now by the HSE
    They need to open a portal specifically for cohort 4 and 7 and get them done now
    It is disgraceful if healthy 50 year old are done before chronically ill younger people

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Russman wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, anyone know the turnaround time from the shots arriving in country, to getting out to the MVCs ? Presumably there's paperwork/bureaucracy etc involved. Next day ?

Here's what I've got up until Tuesday. Looks like the point where supply was the bottleneck has passed. It'll be interesting to see how things go over the next fortnight.

552501.png

[edit] How do I embed an imgur file?

Thats a disgrace
    It's really only the under 50s who will be adversely affected, the others will be largely done this month.

• Advertisement

I honestly think guards should be receiving these leftover does, not non-essential workers.

A good.few are, tbf, I think it depends purely on the attitudes of the doctors clinic or hospitals.
    Hopefully it's not too much longer to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It's really only the under 50s who will be adversely affected, the others will be largely done this month.

Yes a large amount of chronically ill young 16 -50 will be effected by this . Its all wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Seems a very specific rumour op

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'm not questioning all GPs, just the non-professional practices. Front-line workers should get leftover vaccines, not some non-essential nitwit.

Ah yes. All those amateur doctors pissing about with vaccines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Thats a disgrace

Don't they legally have to refer you to another GP practice if they're not doing Cohort 7?

Surely you can report them to the Medical Council if they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I honestly think guards should be receiving these leftover does, not non-essential workers. People who are non vaccinated can still get the virus, so it is still here, and we're only a mutation away from more people getting really sick.

COVID has really shown the weaknesses of Western countries; all that nonsense of standing together and helping each other out is just propaganda. What happens on the ground level is so much different that high-level stats.

It's been deemed that age is the quickest and most efficient way to get the vaccine rolled out. I'm happy with that.

It saves the extra faffing of deciding which positions in which job sectors are 'essential'. E.g. every cashier in a supermarket is public facing while not every guard is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Thats a disgrace

Seems like a postcode lottery. My wife’s gp is running full speed with cohort 7, two nurses flat out injecting there last two days. GPs not doing cohort 7 should be able to refer to the MVC regardless of age

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why are you surprised? It's always been adults in the calculations and 80% is those offered first shots. HSE predictions suggest the ramp up is coming and we may be looking at closer to 300K next week.

I'm not surprised at anything particularly, I just hadn't previously considered how our relative demographic composition compared to Israel might affect the "safe to unlock" vaccination level.

Assuming that an older population is both more susceptible to disease and more likely to shed and spread, it means we have to reach a relatively higher vaccination rate to achieve a given R value.

Unless I missed it, there doesn't really seem to have been an Irish equivalent of the British "data not dates" idea, just weeks and weeks of doom mongering and finger wagging. I sense that at this point we've totally abandoned any pretence of evidence-based policy making or even policy-based evidence making, and are into relaxing restrictions to match people's chosen behaviour. But that's for the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Seems like a postcode lottery. My wife’s gp is running full speed with cohort 7, two nurses flat out injecting there last two days. GPs not doing cohort 7 should be able to refer to the MVC regardless of age

Ah here. Please don't let that British "postcode lottery" nonsense take root here. We don't even have postcodes!

• Advertisement

With Astra,they wont be fully vacinated untill october or november and is it really appropriate to offer them the 1 shot johnson ie treat the healthy better than the immunocompromised
    You could not make this up
    I was lucky but I know loads of people who now won't be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement