Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Anyone hearing stories of some GP practices given vaccines to family and friends (each of whom does not have an underlying condition and is under the age of 50)?

I do not understand how this is possible. The traceability system must be terrible. I guess loopholes could exist with "leaky vaccines" and such. I wonder though when such people actually receive their designated dose, what happens this dose.

I was thinking the vaccine passport might be a clue, but I bet that will be a joke also.

I feel like a sucker waiting for my turn when others, typical Ireland, get it through a close connection.

Welcome to the Banana Republic Of Ireland......!!!

gozunda wrote: »
    Seems a very specific rumour op

Source?

I'd love to but there is no incentive or way to prove the culprits :pac:. I can say it is apparently common in the Waterford area.

Anyway, morning rant over. I feel good now.

Totally agree that supermarket staff should be prioritized.

I guess if international travel opens up and people who got their dose through non-conventional means can go abroad, I guess I'll be one of those sad folk left chewing grass on Ireland's bleak-outlook summer 2021:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Paul Reid says 46k done yesterday

That is 1.1% of the population over 16. We are getting closer to the one-day U.K. record of 1.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

With Astra,they wont be fully vacinated untill october or november and is it really appropriate to offer them the 1 shot johnson ie treat the healthy better than the immunocompromised
    You could not make this up
    I was lucky but I know loads of people who now won't be

I agree it is scandalous how group 4 and 7 were organised . I have three family members in group 7 ( all under 33 ) .

If its any small consolation you are considered fully vaccinated 4 weeks after dose 1 of AZ . The second dose is a booster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Valhallapt wrote: »
    GPs not doing cohort 7 should be able to refer to the MVC regardless of age

What's MVC?

Thanks

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What's MVC?

Thanks

Mass Vaccination Centre

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If its any small consolation you are considered fully vaccinated 4 weeks after dose 1 of AZ .The second dose is a booster

Same for Pfizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 maviesk

Lumen wrote: »
    Ah here. Please don't let that British "postcode lottery" nonsense take root here. We don't even have postcodes!

Eircode lottery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

With Astra,they wont be fully vacinated untill october or november and is it really appropriate to offer them the 1 shot johnson ie treat the healthy better than the immunocompromised
    You could not make this up
    I was lucky but I know loads of people who now won't be
    Well they all work as required. TBH your issue seems to be with the GPs. We will only have 600K of J&J coming soon and most of that will be at the end of June. AZ after the initial dose does protect, the second one is a booster and more people vaccinated leaves unvaccinated people at lower risk. Neither will be available anyway to the under 50s, apart from where they invoke that J&J clause.

For those who got vaccinated via signing up on the HSE website, how long did it take from registering to getting a text and getting jabbed?

Obviously it will differ from person to person, but what is it averaging?

A week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

For those who got vaccinated via signing up on the HSE website, how long did it take from registering to getting a text and getting jabbed?

Obviously it will differ from person to person, but what is it averaging?

A week?

2 weeks average

Same for Pfizer?

No, Pfizer protection starts to drop off a number of weeks after first dose so you need the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've seen a couple of GP practices now say that they're dropping out with cohort 7. One of the citing fatigue/burnout; mainly from the incessant calls from patients asking when they'll be done, and in some cases straight up abuse from them.

It was a mistake to push cohort 7 back on the GPs. I appreciate the reason why it was done, but they should have taken a different direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Same for Pfizer?

Not considered vaccinated with Pfizer until 1 week after 2nd dose.

Edit: sorry 1 week for Pfizer, 2 for Moderna

Same for Pfizer?
    You are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after dose 2 of Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 27 maviesk

You are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after dose 2 of Pfizer

Not 1 week? https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0430/1213016-covid-ireland-latest/

seamus wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of GP practices now say that they're dropping out with cohort 7. One of the citing fatigue/burnout; mainly from the incessant calls from patients asking when they'll be done, and in some cases straight up abuse from them.

It was a mistake to push cohort 7 back on the GPs. I appreciate the reason why it was done, but they should have taken a different direction.

It has caused a bit of chaos. There was somebody posting yesterday that a 69 year old friend of theirs, who had a lung removed after cancer, had to get a place in an MVC for AZ. Yet, there are anecdotal reports of people with very minor conditions getting vaccinated at GPs, especially in rural areas.

Look, I don’t want to be too critical because perfection will get us nowhere. Each person who gets vaccinated is a step closer to getting us out of this nightmare.

maviesk wrote: »

Thanks . Our GP told my husband 2 weeks but thats great to know

Re: Cohort 7

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/#group5
    People aged 16 to 59 at high risk:

GPs will vaccinate people aged 59 and under in this group. It will take some time for GPs to identify and invite everyone.
    How you will get your vaccine:

GPs will contact many of their patients when it’s their turn to be vaccinated. Patients can also register online for a vaccine when their age group is being called for vaccination.

There's nothing in there about what to do when your GP isn't vaccinating Cohort 7 or if they're also not referring this Cohort to another GP

So it's the usual "write to all your Local TDs and make a lot of noise" craic for people in this situation

They need to fix this

Its an interesting one.

100% agree - the regulators can't just ignore it. I've scanned the article (will read this evening in detail) and they say that people "had issues" with the vaccine - but they don't suggest that any of them died.

AFAIK, there is already a treatment available for these extremely rare blood clots (I'm virtually certain I heard Luke O'Neill or somebody saying this).

So the data suggests about 1 in 100,000 have "any issue" with the vaccine. There is no suggestion that anybody died.

As this issue can now be treated, I am still of the opinion that any age-based restrictions are excessive.

This is my understanding and interpretation anyway. I could be wrong and might have missed something.

You should have a read of the UK update from yesterday, specifically the part in Section 3 on thrombo-embolic events with concurrent low platelets:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

Those 49 deaths are linked to the vaccine.

The fatality rate for these CVST clots is still around 20%. There is some treatment, which is why 80% survive, but it's not the case that someone who gets this type of clotting can be guaranteed a quick cure. There's still a high chance of death or life changing injury.

Luke O'Neill seems to be coming from a position of benefits outweighing risks overall (which is true for the population as a whole, if not on an individual level). He seems to be playing down this issue in order to avoid spooking people, but he's being far too dismissive IMO.

The data is out there for anyone who wants to read up further about the risks.

• Advertisement

revelman wrote: »
    It has caused a bit of chaos. There was somebody posting yesterday that a 69 year old friend of theirs, who had a lung removed after cancer, had to get a place in an MVC for AZ. Yet, there are anecdotal reports of people with very minor conditions getting vaccinated at GPs, especially in rural areas.

Look, I don’t want to be too critical because perfection will get us nowhere. Each person who gets vaccinated is a step closer to getting us out of this nightmare.
    GP stuff is all about local demographics and surgery numbers of those groups. Naturally, people will pick up on the anecdotes.

No, Pfizer protection starts to drop off a number of weeks after first dose so you need the second.
    That's not really the case. We just don't know yet because the original clinical trials administered the second dose between 2 and 6 weeks after the first. So the effectiveness of the first dose beyond six weeks is unproven.

More recent trials suggest that it is effective way past 6 weeks, but this data has not been formally submitted, so the original guidance stands.

AZ in their clinical trials tested out a much wider dosing interval, giving us the ability to delay the second dose by much longer.

The reason NPHET advised that people can be considered fully vaccinated after one dose was more sociology than immunology. They reasoned (correctly, IMO), that if you needed two doses to be considered "fully vaxxed" with AZ, then people might start refusing it. And since the second dose only boosts immunity by a few %, then the greater good is served by treating AZ patients as fully vaxxed after 4 weeks.

is_that_so wrote: »
    GP stuff is all about local demographics and surgery numbers of those groups. Naturally, people will pick up on the anecdotes.

And so they should . Anecdotes are people who are chronically ill and waiting for clarity . Its scandalous what is happening with cohort 7 .

is_that_so wrote: »

True but I don’t think we should be in a place where GPs in rural areas have more vaccines than they need and Cohort 4 people can’t get vaccinated in urban areas. You’d think the HSE would a handle on the demographics.

Again, I’m not one of these perpetually outraged people so I don’t want to press this point. It is great that people are being vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's scandalous what is happening with cohort 7
    What is scandalous? That a few 60-64 year olds have been vaccinated before a slightly higher risk group?

seamus wrote: »
    That's not really the case. We just don't know yet because the original clinical trials administered the second dose between 2 and 6 weeks after the first. So the effectiveness of the first dose beyond six weeks is unproven.

More recent trials suggest that it is effective way past 6 weeks, but this data has not been formally submitted, so the original guidance stands.

AZ in their clinical trials tested out a much wider dosing interval, giving us the ability to delay the second dose by much longer.

The reason NPHET advised that people can be considered fully vaccinated after one dose was more sociology than immunology. They reasoned (correctly, IMO), that if you needed two doses to be considered "fully vaxxed" with AZ, then people might start refusing it. And since the second dose only boosts immunity by a few %, then the greater good is served by treating AZ patients as fully vaxxed after 4 weeks.

I was thinking of the Scottish study in the Lancet which seemed to suggest that Pfizer protection dropped off a few weeks after the first dose, unlike AZ. But I agree that we probably don’t know enough yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,789 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Lumen wrote: »
    What is scandalous? That a few 60-64 year olds have been vaccinated before a slightly higher risk group?

That Cohort 7 where the GP isn't vaccinating have been left in total limbo for one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I feel like even at this stage if they straight-up paused vaccinations on cohort 7, there'd be less stress and worry and vulnerable people would get vaccinated more quickly.

True but I don’t think we should be in a place where GPs in rural areas have more vaccines than they need and Cohort 4 people can’t get vaccinated in urban areas. You’d think the HSE would a handle on the demographics.

Again, I’m not one of these perpetually outraged people so I don’t want to press this point. It is great that people are being vaccinated.
    On this I wouldn't blame them too much. Nobody has ever counted and classified such groups before. It is largely a GP process and not all of them are necessarily able to do so efficiently.

• Advertisement

Flying Fox wrote: »
    You should have a read of the UK update from yesterday, specifically the part in Section 3 on thrombo-embolic events with concurrent low platelets:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

Those 49 deaths are linked to the vaccine.

There were 242 cases of blood clots out of how many AZ vaccinations in the UK?

That way we can work out the %

I don't think there's any point of working out the death via AZ percentages because a blood clot in itself can be life changing
    Up to 28 April 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 242 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement