Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Well, is anyone contacting their TDs? If a tree falls in a forest etc.

Of course they are and the td will happily write a letter about for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

Lumen wrote: »
    One would hope that once the dust has settled, some serious questions would be asked about how Ireland has managed to have such a fragmented healthcare system in a country of only 5 million people.

GPs using paper-based records is just pitiful in 2021. It's not like they don't have the time for data entry; every GP surgery I've been into in Ireland has a receptionist who spends most of the day doing fck all despite protestations to the contrary.

What we need is a unique individual identifier (for all transactions with government) but there has always been opposition to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I use this https://percentagecalculator.net/

And the second option on the page ("___ is what percentage of ___")

It's saying 0.0023 %

Based on 242 cases out of 10.5 million doses on AZ in the UK

It's 28.5 million doses of AZ given out in the UK from reading the articles above. Or are you calculating people fully vaccinated with AZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

UK media also reporting that it's a move to try & combat vaccine hesitancy in younger groups, not because of the AZ safety profile.

Do the UK have an issue with vaccine hesitancy ? Can't recall it being flagged up as much of an issue there previously. Certainly not when you compare to France for example

I think they're very carefully managing the news releases given the dates/times of when MHRA issue updates regarding AZ - yesterday's was on the day of local elections when the news would focus on them, and previously on Maundy Thursday, and another time at same time as a live EMA new conference.

Also how it is a presented and managed that people "under 40 will be offered an alternative" as opposed to the UK coverage of EU restrictions with headlines like "xxx country bans AZ for over 50's" and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Well, is anyone contacting their TDs? If a tree falls in a forest etc.

Most Local TDs do eventually write to who's needed for you

The trick is to email them all and make the email personal and not a mass email CC'ing them all

You will also see much faster action when you email the TDs in Opposition first, they are looking for reasons to stir things up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

This is something that really annoyed me when we were doing small numbers. Now that we are doing 200k a week and there are we'll over a million vaccinated, it is far less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Hmmzis wrote: »
    It's 28.5 million doses of AZ given out in the UK from reading the articles above. Or are you calculating people fully vaccinated with AZ?

To confound the issue, they are also seeing clots in second doses at a rate currently at 1 in a million (based on 4 cases from 4mil second doses) No doubt that will increase over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

funny that its not mentioned in the irish media (well, not really, the papers mainly report on press releases they get locally or copy US/ UK/ AUS / NZ news for a domestic audience so miss out on EU news) that France is threatening to Veto the next EU Pfizer / Biontech order which is needed as boosters against variants down the line.

They want a share of the action even if it means lowering orders from existing proven facilities which are producing exceptionally reliably and with massive output.
    I hope to fk that IRL and other countries just bypass those inept French muppets and organise an EU 26 order and let France depend on their own currently non existant vaccines and vaccine production facilities. That was going to happen with the financial aid packages when Hungary threatened a veto, surely its possible now.
    https://www.krone.at/2408314

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

UK media also reporting that it's a move to try & combat vaccine hesitancy in younger groups, not because of the AZ safety profile.

Do the UK have an issue with vaccine hesitancy ? Can't recall it being flagged up as much of an issue there previously. Certainly not when you compare to France for example

The AZ safety profile, or probably more accurately, the reporting around the AZ safety profile, is likely contributing to some hesitancy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

seamus wrote: »

The reason NPHET advised that people can be considered fully vaccinated after one dose was more sociology than immunology. They reasoned (correctly, IMO), that if you needed two doses to be considered "fully vaxxed" with AZ, then people might start refusing it. And since the second dose only boosts immunity by a few %, then the greater good is served by treating AZ patients as fully vaxxed after 4 weeks.

NPHET didn't make this advice. NIAC Did.
    What you said may only be partially true. The 4 weeks basis is backed up by real world data. The real world data from the UK shows that both AZ and PB perform fairly similarly. After about 4 weeks the neutralising antibodies are present in both individuals. There is a reduction in transmission and infection. The wildcard here is immunocompromised individuals. These individuals do not have the same level of neutralising antibody response. It seems at present that they need a second dose to get the same level of response that the normal population gets from one dose. Given this populations' vulnerability and the extra precautions they've been advised to take it's much harder to gauge how much transmission and severity of infection gets impacted by the vaccines outside of theoretical guesses from the presence of neutralising antibodies. A crude approximation in other words. It's also possible they simply be slower at building up at response. 8 weeks after the first dose they may have similar levels that the normal population had at 4 weeks.
    The studies into this are still ongoing.
    It may be the case that when these are completed in June/July the recommendation will be sent to JCVI to prioritise the vulnerable cohorts for the second dose as soon as possible. That is what is currently anticipated as I understand it. For everyone else 4 weeks after one vaccine dose actually may be enough.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I agree it is scandalous how group 4 and 7 were organised . I have three family members in group 7 ( all under 33 ) .

If its any small consolation you are considered fully vaccinated 4 weeks after dose 1 of AZ . The second dose is a booster

See above. Imo non medical risk people can consider themselves fully vaccinated with AZ 4 weeks after first dose. For the elderly, immunocompromised and medically vulnerable in general I'd be more cautious and waiting until 2 weeks after that second dose. Or until the studies are completed so we can know with a greater degree of confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 kooreczka

I'm in cohort 4 have been waiting for my vaccine for the last month to hear from my GP he is not getting it in anymore and now I have to wait for my group age to be vaccinated. He put me on a list a month ago and said they will be in touch. I've know people who got vaccines from surgeries in my area this week from cohort 4 and honestly I think my dose was there for me...nepotism is a horrible thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Group 7 is a mess because of how vague the requirements list is. GPs are being forced to decide if a person’s at such a risk that they need to be vaccinated right now. That’s a very very significant amount of work for a GP.

Summed up yesterday when someone on here posted they were asthmatic and listed their meds and they’ve been sent to get vaccinated, yet myself and others who are in the exact same position as them are rejected by GPs. So inconsistent and a bit of a mess tbh, no wonder people are angry.

funny that its not mentioned in the irish media (well, not really, the papers mainly report on press releases they get locally or copy US/ UK/ AUS / NZ news for a domestic audience so miss out on EU news) that France is threatening to Veto the next EU Pfizer / Biontech order which is needed as boosters against variants down the line.

They want a share of the action even if it means lowering orders from existing proven facilities which are producing exceptionally reliably and with massive output.
    I hope to fk that IRL and other countries just bypass those inept French muppets and organise an EU 26 order and let France depend on their own currently non existant vaccines and vaccine production facilities. That was going to happen with the financial aid packages when Hungary threatened a veto, surely its possible now.

The initial pfizer/biontech order would have been much larger as well if it wasn't for the French, we do not need their shyte effing it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I have that as 0.002 % chance of getting a clot with AZ

I thought it was "1 in 100,000" as per the "experts", or am I reading the % wrong?

Exactly

I simply don't want AZ or J&J, based on Denmark's analysis alone*

Would I take them if they're what's offered? Probably

But reluctantly

* This isn't a cue for the usual "the best vaccine is what's offered to you!!1" regulars on here

AZ and J&J are seeing issues just a few months in, what are the stats with them going to look like a few years in?

Also, AZ are just a messy b@stard of a company in general

I feel the same.

Az has been littered with problems, and data wise Pfizer and moderna are much stronger.

I'd still take az if offered because I'm at a higher risk of covid complications than others, but give me a choice and its Pfizer or moderna all day long.

'The best vaccine is the one offered to you' mantra touted by health officials and impressionable minions here is pure spin. Its geared towards the collective health of the nation, I get it, and it's probably the right thing to do. But dont kid yourself that Pfizer and moderna isnt a preferable choice on an individual basis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Threads merged

Summed up yesterday when someone on here posted they were asthmatic and listed their meds and they’ve been sent to get vaccinated, yet myself and others who are in the exact same position as them are rejected by GPs. So inconsistent and a bit of a mess tbh, no wonder people are angry.

Your GP assessed you "weren't asthmatic enough"?

That's a bit mental to say the least

Anyone with breathing issues of any sort should be Cohort 7, considering - ya know - that Covid attacks the jaysus lungs

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hub updated with 44,672 vaccines being done on Wednesday.

Hmmzis wrote: »

Ah ok thanks. I read here it was 10.5 million, which must've been those who had both shots

So 242 cases of blood clotting out of 28.5 million is now 0.00084% as per

https://percentagecalculator.net/ (if I've used it right)

Although, the clotting happened to AZ takers after one dose. As mentioned above, it's 1 in a million (so far) after both shots

Tbh I don't think the AZ risk calculations should be based off both shot figures, the vast majority of blood clots are happening in those after the first shot

Regardless, if I'm offered it I will take it albeit reluctantly

But obviously Pfizer is the gold standard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

That newspaper is the Austrian equivalent of the daily mail, so I’d take anything they say with a large pinch of salt. I couldn’t find any reliable source reporting this news, just various tabloid rags reporting it and French ministers denying it, so I suspect it’s a complete non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement

Ah ok thanks. I read here it was 10.5 million, which must've been those who had both shots

Although, the clotting happened to AZ takers after one dose. As mentioned above, it's 1 in a million (so far) after both shots

Tbh I don't think the AZ risk calculations should be based off both shot figures, the vast majority of blood clots are happening in those after the first shot

Comparing it to doses, is not the correct way to look at it. If you do get AZ vaccine, then I presume you will be getting two doses, so you would need to double chances.

I would point out that these numbers are small enough that it is not really possible to imagine. It's like comparing walking the length of your shadow with running a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So over 90K in the last two days based on what Reid said about yesterday. That's a nice boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

crossman47 wrote: »
    What we need is a unique individual identifier (for all transactions with government) but there has always been opposition to this.

There's the IHI

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/national-services/individual-health-identifier/
    crossman47 wrote: »
    IHI and your COVID-19 vaccine

You do not need to know your IHI to get your COVID-19 vaccine.

The vaccination system will find your IHI when you give your personal details including your:

name
    date of birth
    address
    PPS number - read about where to find your PPS number on Citizens Information
    These details will be used to help make sure that everyone who gets their COVID-19 vaccine is correctly matched to their vaccination record.

Any additional information you enter on the vaccination portal will not be attached to your IHI.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

kooreczka wrote: »
    I'm in cohort 4 have been waiting for my vaccine for the last month to hear from my GP he is not getting it in anymore and now I have to wait for my group age to be vaccinated. He put me on a list a month ago and said they will be in touch. I've know people who got vaccines from surgeries in my area this week from cohort 4 and honestly I think my dose was there for me...nepotism is a horrible thing!

See if your GP can refer you to another practice who IS vaccinating Cohort 4's, and hopefully you'll get done by them soon.

Then also move your business to that other GP - and tell your GP why you've left them. We need to send a message to the GP's who are opting out of vaccinating the most medically vulnerable - it's not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Lumen wrote: »
    I have commented before in this thread about how Israel opened up at around 50-55% population vaccinated with at least one dose. Turns out this equates to around 80% of the adult population.

This is possibly where the "80% of adults offered a vaccine by the end of June" target comes from.

Unfortunately Israel has a much larger youth population than we do, which means our 80% of adults is something like 62% of the total population.

This is worth knowing when using sources like OWID which have per capita stats only.

In the last month we've added about 10% per capita vaccinated with at least one dose, and at that rate it will take us until the end of August to reach 62% per capita.

But sure, the ramp up is just around the corner, right?

edit: using more recent trends, i.e. the last week in OWID, puts us at about 13 weeks from hitting that target, so early August.

Also, I noticed that FF is now using the % adults without identifying that it's only the adults. From Donnelly's FB...

FB-IMG-1620365483490.jpg

I welcome sanity checks of my maths.

50K vaccinated on Wednesday and Thursday, breaking records every week.

Is that not a ramp up? Also rate of increased vaccinations to continue.

Do you math's again taking this week along and with projected increase instead of using last months vaccination rate and see what you come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I still think the risks of AZ are being completely overhyped - maybe the car crash stat is a bad example, but its still probably akin to the likelihood of getting a heart attack while exercising or the like.
    I guess it is up to everybody to weigh up their own risk acceptance but if somebody said to me "you can have AZ in 10 minutes time", I'd be there. In spite of being in the under 50's (i.e. "at risk" age group).

The 10.5 figure is the number of clotting cases per million who received AZ.

50K vaccinated on Wednesday and Thursday, breaking records every week.

Is that not a ramp up? Also rate of increased vaccinations to continue.

Do you math's again taking this week along and with projected increase instead of using last months vaccination rate and see what you come up with

But that would be hard and wouldn't suit the answer I have already, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Interesting caveats from JCVI, similar to those from NIAC really.

If under 40 an alternative vaccine is preferred, however this is only where possible and where no substantial delay in accessing vaccination would occur.

They also note the ease of transport of AZ compared to others (Pfizer) , in certain settings AZ might be the only vaccine that is practical to offer and in these settings AZ is the preferred vaccine.

Could be relatively easily argued in the UK that at some MVC AZ is the only practical vaccine due to storage requirements.

Much like NIAC advice it's open to interpretation

• Advertisement

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The 10.5 figure is the number of clotting cases per million who received AZ.

Thanks

Too many numbers and too much confusion

The simple way to think of it is there's a 1 in 100,000 chance of a clot with AZ

It's then upto individuals to weigh that up against the chances of dying with Covid based on their demographic

Regardless, I don't think anyone in Ireland under 50 will be getting AZ going forward and that may be dropped to anyone under 40 based on the news in the UK today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement