Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Mr Reid acknowledged that there would be a shortage of 40,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to be delivered next week, but he was hopeful that this could be made up in time:

Hopefully this is only a blip from J&J

40,000 fully vaccinated people would definitely help with our figures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

50K vaccinated on Wednesday and Thursday, breaking records every week.

Is that not a ramp up? Also rate of increased vaccinations to continue.

Do you math's again taking this week along and with projected increase instead of using last months vaccination rate and see what you come up with

A strange trend I've noticed during this vaccination process is that a lot of people don't seem to know what a ramp looks like. For the avoidance of doubt it's a shape with the top surface at an angle to the bottom surface, getting progressively higher as it goes along.

Looking at our vaccination stats and accounting for 2 blips (big one for the AZ pause, and a smaller one for the Easter weekend), every week since February has seen higher vaccination numbers than the preceding week. If that's not a ramp, what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Mr Reid acknowledged that there would be a shortage of 40,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to be delivered next week, but he was hopeful that this could be made up in time:

I think AZs delivery today counteracts that nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

KrustyUCC wrote: »

175,000 were originally expected over the next few weeks. It'll have no great effect for now as the over 50s won't start for two weeks or so. Be interesting to see what they do on homeless and the rest of that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Turtwig wrote: »
    NPHET didn't make this advice. NIAC Did.
    It was in the letter from the CMO on 28th April, page 7
    https://assets.gov.ie/133926/98409bf0-d6e5-4c60-b806-fdc8a0f554fc.pdf

That said, they may very well have just been relaying NIAC advice.

• Advertisement

I still think the risks of AZ are being completely overhyped - maybe the car crash stat is a bad example, but its still probably akin to the likelihood of getting a heart attack while exercising or the like.
    I guess it is up to everybody to weigh up their own risk acceptance but if somebody said to me "you can have AZ in 10 minutes time", I'd be there. In spite of being in the under 50's (i.e. "at risk" age group).

I get what you're saying, but going by the UK alone we have an AZ vaccine that has resulted in 49 deaths so far. Pfizer and Moderna have caused 0 deaths so far.

Now, if covid was running rampant in the UK (like in India) it would make sense get every jab available out as quickly as possible. However, when that's not the case, why accept the clotting deaths when they can be largely prevented by offering an alternative to those at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Flying Fox wrote: »
    why accept the clotting deaths when they can be largely prevented by offering an alternative to those at risk?
    Why didn't we retain the man with a red flag walking in front of cars? That would reduce road deaths to zero.

I admit the situation thankfully at present allows us to use all our vaccines, but we'll see what happens in late May and June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There are 350,000 in Cohort 7

That's a lot of people who can make a lot of noise (or get someone to do it for them)

I can't see the "government" simply ignoring this issue people in Cohort 7 are having with their GPs. It'll be addressed .... eventually

The thing is though, the country begins it's re-opening on Monday and only 1% of Cohort 7 have had one shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I think AZs delivery today counteracts that nicely

How much AZ was delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ShineOn7 wrote: »

That's a lot of people who can make a lot of noise (or get someone to do it for them)

I can't see the "government" simply ignoring this issue people in Cohort 7 are having with their GPs. It'll be addressed .... eventually

The thing is though, the country begins it's re-opening on Monday and only 1% of Cohort 7 have had one shot
    That 1% is largely a GP issue. Group 4 looks to be almost complete on one shot so some greater movement on Group 7 should happen now. Some may also be dealt with through the portal anyway.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    Why didn't we retain the man with a red flag walking in front of cars? That would reduce road deaths to zero.

I admit the situation thankfully at present allows us to use all our vaccines, but we'll see what happens in late May and June.

How is that a comparable scenario?

Many of us need cars to get from A to B, and the benefits to quality of life outweigh the risks. Accidents can happen driving any brand or model of car.

When it comes to covid vaccines, there are safer options available that won't cause people to die from blood clots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

It’s ridiculous. Cohort 7 is being marginalised at the expense of what exactly? The initial idea was that society wasn’t supposed to open up until all of the vulnerable subgroups were vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Germany go from 30 doses per 100 to 40 doses per 100 in 12 days. I still put us at about a week away from 40 doses per 100. Germany are now far outpacing the UK and along with Spain and Italy are leading Europe on shots per day (when you take out the countries using Chinese and Russian vaccines). I estimate Germany get to 50 doses per 100 on the 17th of May. Spain will only be a day or two behind them.

Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 81.5 May 4th
    Lithuania 40.5 May 6th 12
    Germany 40 May 6th 11
    Spain 39.5 May 5th 11
    Austria 38.5 May 6th 8
    Estonia 38.5 May 6th 8
    Italy 37.5 May 6th 6
    Denmark 37 May 4th 7
    Belgium 36 May 5th 4
    Finland 36 May 5th 4
    Portugal 36 May 6th 3
    Sweden 35.5 May 6th 2
    France 35 May 5th 2
    Luxembourg 35 May 5th 2
    Poland 34.5 May 6th 0
    Slovenia 34 May 6th -1
    Ireland 34 May 5th 0
    Netherlands 33 May 2nd 1
    Cyprus 33 May 1st 2
    Czech Rep 33 May 6th -3
    Greece 33 May 6th -3
    Slovakia 32 May 6th -5
    Romania 29 May 5th -10
    Croatia 24 May 5th -20
    Latvia 19 May 6th -31
    Bulgaria 13 May 6th -43

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56992121

Bit worrying - upsurge of cases in Seychelles where 60% vaccinated. Third of new cases are in those who were given two doses.

Now the vaccines they are using are not same as here which is something.

Your GP assessed you "weren't asthmatic enough"?

That's a bit mental to say the least

Anyone with breathing issues of any sort should be Cohort 7, considering - ya know - that Covid attacks the jaysus lungs

The mind boggles

I would imagine it’s a question of very fixed supply of vaccines going out to GPs so GPs have to reserve their vaccine supply for their most serious cohort 7 patients. If there was no supply issue I’d imagine the cohort 7 rollout would be much more successful. I’m optimistic that in two or three weeks the parameters for cohort 7 will be widened.

bullpost wrote: »

Bit worrying - upsurge of cases in Seychelles where 60% vaccinated. Third of new cases are in those who were given two doses.

Sounds like the nail in the coffin for Sinopharm.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    How much AZ was delivered?
    140k as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Living in France and just got BioNTech vaccine.

Also, vaccination opening to all adults from Wednesday (for last minute availability so as not to waste vaccines).
    Currently open to all over 55s and also all adults with comorbidity which accounts for quite a lot of people.

Terrible news tbh. Sinopharm was being used in a lot of places. Just pushes the end of the pandemic back even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

hmmm wrote: »

Ahh come on, that's not even an apples to oranges comparison.
    We can, hopefully, largely mitigate our potential deaths from the viral vector vaccines with a bit of rejigging of the scheduled rollout. A few weeks delay or some unused vaccines isn't the end of the world, its not ideal of course, and nobody anywhere wants this to go on longer than it has to, but we can't completely be fixated on speed to the detriment of safety.
    I have no idea what level of risk or percentage fatalities etc with vaccines are deemed acceptable by the medical community, or what constitutes "safety", but I do think we have to trust their judgement.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    That 1% is largely a GP issue. Group 4 looks to be almost complete on one shot so some greater movement on Group 7 should happen now. Some may also be dealt with through the portal anyway.

GPs will/are telling those in Cohort 7 they aren't vaccinating them

They'll then tell them to call the HSE at 1850 24 1850, and the HSE will then say they need to call their GP

It'll go around and around in circles and it's complete nonsense

The latest on Cohort 4 and 7 as of yesterday

Cohort 4 (People aged 16-69 and at very high risk of severe Covid-19)
    • Total in group: ~250,000
    • Total vaccines: 216,991 (+6,721)
    • Total with first vaccine: 210,694 (+6,223)
    • Total with second vaccine: 6,297 (+498)
    • 84% of total half vaccinated (+2%)
    • 2.5% of total fully vaccinated (+0.2%)
    Cohort 7 (People aged 16-69 who have an underlying conditions that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death)
    • Total in group: ~350,000
    • Total vaccines: 1,420 (+70)
    • Total with first vaccine: 1,418 (+70)
    • Total with second vaccine: 2 (+0)
    • 0.4% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)

So yes, Cohort 4 are almost done with at least one shot, but Cohort 7 are getting thrown under the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

UK media also reporting that it's a move to try & combat vaccine hesitancy in younger groups, not because of the AZ safety profile.

They mocked the EU when caution was advised there, they're likely doing it for the same reason but just putting a spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

Russman wrote: »
    Ahh come on, that's not even an apples to oranges comparison.
    We can, hopefully, largely mitigate our potential deaths from the viral vector vaccines with a bit of rejigging of the scheduled rollout. A few weeks delay or some unused vaccines isn't the end of the world, its not ideal of course, and nobody anywhere wants this to go on longer than it has to, but we can't completely be fixated on speed to the detriment of safety.
    I have no idea what level of risk or percentage fatalities etc with vaccines are deemed acceptable by the medical community, or what constitutes "safety", but I do think we have to trust their judgement.

You are defeating your own argument. A few weeks delay in administering vaccines (any vaccine) is more likely to cause some deaths than any effect of AZ. Its a question of risk assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

GPs will/are telling those in Cohort 7 they aren't vaccinating them

They'll then tell them to call the HSE at 1850 24 1850, and the HSE will then say they need to call their GP

It'll go around and around in circles and it's complete nonsense

The latest on Cohort 4 and 7 as of yesterday

Cohort 4 (People aged 16-69 and at very high risk of severe Covid-19)
    • Total in group: ~250,000
    • Total vaccines: 216,991 (+6,721)
    • Total with first vaccine: 210,694 (+6,223)
    • Total with second vaccine: 6,297 (+498)
    • 84% of total half vaccinated (+2%)
    • 2.5% of total fully vaccinated (+0.2%)
    Cohort 7 (People aged 16-69 who have an underlying conditions that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death)
    • Total in group: ~350,000
    • Total vaccines: 1,420 (+70)
    • Total with first vaccine: 1,418 (+70)
    • Total with second vaccine: 2 (+0)
    • 0.4% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)

So yes, Cohort 4 are almost done with at least one shot, but Cohort 7 are getting thrown under the bus

Its slow but they're not being thrown under a bus. Cohort 4 are at higher risk so are rightly being done first. GPs should not be opting out of doing Group 7 but some of them are getting abuse from people who feel they are a special case (some no doubt wanting to go on holiday).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Anyone with breathing issues of any sort should be Cohort 7, considering - ya know - that Covid attacks the jaysus lungs

The mind boggles

But I read some time ago an article in a reliable site (don't remember where now) that asthmatics are protected in some extend from Covid bed outcome because of their medicines, which contain steroids

crossman47 wrote: »
    Its slow but they're not being thrown under a bus. Cohort 4 are at higher risk so are rightly being done first. GPs should not be opting out of doing Group 7 but some of them are getting abuse from people who feel they are a special case (some no doubt wanting to go on holiday).
    or they feel at risk of getting serious disease from COVID?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Sounds like you're just a bit jealous that you don't know the right people who can give you the vaccine out of turn...

Well they are not the only one. The number of people who got the vaccine to date who are out of turn with no vulnerabilities is a disgrace

I've a family member working in the UAE so I keep an eye on things there

Sinopharm was widely used and they are still seeing circa 1,800 cases a day, despite vaccinating 73,000 in the last 24 hours alone

Not everyone in the UAE got Sinopharm (my family member got Pfizer), but in the early days of their programme it was very much the main one

A Chinese vaccine where (last I checked) they showed feck all of their data of why it worked. What could possibly go wrong?

The mind boggles
    Yeah I had to have been hospitalised.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »

Seychelles made the mistake of opening up too much too quickly. They lifted restrictions pretty much to the day they reached 50% vaccinated. A significant portion of those vaccinated likely did not have time to gain full protection.

They also didn't have many cases to begin with so very little natural acquired immunity. Combine all that with reports of large gatherings over Easter and you've got a recipe for disaster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement