Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

How is the over 50s starting before group 7? Is the priority list no more?

Maybe someone in that group should ring or mail a journalist ? I am not in group 7 so can really speak for them
    But s journalists might take it on and get clarity and information for a lot of upset and anxious people

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

My mam is 69 years old and I registered her for the vaccine on the first day that registrations were open.

She still has not got a date for a vaccine yet

We called the HSE to make sure she was registered and they just said she will get a call "in a few weeks"

All her friends / family in the same age group have been done

She is in a very bad place mentally as she hasnt left the house in a year and spends all day watching the news and on facebook.

Is there anything I can do to get them to fast track her as she should have at least got a date by now?

I'm very sorry to hear that, and I hope she can get her vaccine soon. Does she live near one of the recently opened MVCs? If so, hopefully that was the delay and she'll be near the top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Maybe someone in that group should ring or mail a journalist ? I am not in group 7 so can really speak for them
    But s journalists might take it on and get clarity and information for a lot of upset and anxious people

Anyone in group 7 organising a wedding I guess to get on to Zara King?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

My mam is 69 years old and I registered her for the vaccine on the first day that registrations were open.

She still has not got a date for a vaccine yet

That's a huge clerical error somewhere and I'd make a whole lot more noise with the HSE if I were you

When it comes to the HSE it's the only way to get things done in this country most of the time

Just ask Cohort 7

titan18 wrote: »
    Anyone in group 7 organising a wedding I guess to get on to Zara King?

At least she has a mouth and asks questions that are relevant to people looking for clarity . There is nothing worse than be left in limbo

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's a huge clerical error somewhere and I'd make a whole lot more noise with the HSE if I were you

When it comes to the HSE it's the only way to get things done in this country most of the time

Just ask Cohort 7
    Yes With the HSE the squeaky door gets oiled first .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If that's the same as I had diagnosed: being basically melanoma stage 0: it doesn't fall under the cancer criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Looks to me like a bit of a postcode lottery atm.
    Mother in law 62 (Mallow)registered on the day she was supposed to co worker 59 (ballincollig)registered on Tuesday appointment for Pairc Ui Chaoimh for next Tuesday, mother in law still no appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Panrich wrote: »

The criteria seems to be a mess and rife with potential for nepotism.
    ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Massively

Have a great relationship with your GP that goes back decades? You're Cohort 7 enough

Have a strained relationship with your GP like many do? You're not Cohort 7 enough

The above will be prevalent all over the country

The more I think about it Cohort 7 is a really bad idea. It plays into irish cute hoorism and queue jumping. I met two perfectly healthy people during the week who had Cohort 7 referrals because of "the asthma" and another who went through her doctor because she wanted the "good one"
    It is Doctors doing favours for their friends and favoured patients and it is unfair.
    The really medical vulnerable have already been vaccinated under Cohort 4.

Seems from a few posts this evening the HSE may have come to the same conclusion. I assumed the strategy would be.
    Take 3 weeks to give Astra to over 50s.
    In the meantime allow doctors to refer their " vulnerable" patients (nod nod wink wink) for Pfizer.
    Open up portal to over 40s at beginning of June.
    However if they are also giving Pfizer to over 50s now they will get to over 40s much sooner. Downside is that there will be leftover Astra in June.
    But much fairer. Granted a certain amount of Cohort 7 referrals will continue but not to the extent that I anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Looks to me like a bit of a postcode lottery atm.
    Mother in law 62 (Mallow)registered on the day she was supposed to co worker 59 (ballincollig)registered on Tuesday appointment for Pairc Ui Chaoimh for next Tuesday, mother in law still no appointment

There is supposed to be an MVC at Mallow GAA club. Maybe it is one of the last ones to open?

• Advertisement

robinbird wrote: »
    The more I think about it Cohort 7 is a really bad idea. It plays into irish cute hoorism and queue jumping. I met two perfectly healthy people during the week who had Cohort 7 referrals because of "the asthma" and another who went through her doctor because she wanted the "good one"
    It is Doctors doing favours for their friends and favoured patients and it is unfair.
    The really medical vulnerable have already been vaccinated under Cohort 4.

Seems from a few posts this evening the HSE may have come to the same conclusion. I assumed the strategy would be.
    Take 3 weeks to give Astra to over 50s.
    In the meantime allow doctors to refer their " vulnerable" patients (nod nod wink wink) for Pfizer.
    Open up portal to over 40s at beginning of June.
    However if they are also giving Pfizer to over 50s now they will get to over 40s much sooner. Downside is that there will be leftover Astra in June.
    But much fairer. Granted a certain amount of Cohort 7 referrals will continue but not to the extent that I anticipated.

Remember there are several hundred thousand people who will need second doses of AZ this summer, including many healthcare workers vaccinated early on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

robinbird wrote: »
    Downside is that there will be leftover Astra in June.

So some in Cohort 7 get "the leftovers" when previously all in this group were supposed to get Pfizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

revelman wrote: »
    There is supposed to be an MVC at Mallow GAA club. Maybe it is one of the last ones to open?

It’s open since last week

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’s open since last week

I think you have your answer then. The three MVCs in Cork city have been open much longer and have obviously got through more people than the ones in Bantry, Clonakilty and Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How is the over 50s starting before group 7? Is the priority list no more?

Cohort priority lists have run in parallel since the start of the program. This is likely no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭joeysoap

It is a lottery. Everyone knows that some doctors are way ahead ( doctor just outside Dundalk doing the over 40’s for the past 2 weeks)

Turtwig wrote: »
    Cohort priority lists have run in parallel since the start of the program. This is likely no different.

Problem is they are not running parallel they are crawling miles behind

joeysoap wrote: »
    It is a lottery. Everyone knows that some doctors are way ahead ( doctor just outside Dundalk doing the over 40’s for the past 2 weeks)

Doctors ( GPs ) are not meant to be doing anyone who is not in a vulnerable group

How? They only just started the cohort. The oth er cohorts, albeit there were supply issues, were slow to build up momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It seems to be more skipping over group 7 and onto 50-59's now.
    The same group got advanced notice when they could register and told appointments would be a week to 2 weeks after that etc... They seem to be much faster giving appointments. All the while group 7 get.... silence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Doctors ( GPs ) are not meant to be doing anyone who is not in a vulnerable group

But they are. I know someone in his 40s who got a call out of the blue today. He told them he doesn’t need the vaccine as he’s not vulnerable. Said the person on the line got really snotty with him :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Multipass wrote: »
    But they are. I know someone in his 40s who got a call out of the blue today. He told them he doesn’t need the vaccine as he’s not vulnerable. Said the person on the line got really snotty with him :D

Some Gps are using their regular patients for reserve lists

I know someone who was placed on a reserve list and got an vaccine with a few hours notice due to a cancellation

While they were in the GP someone arrived 2.5 hours late for a vaccine appointment and were told that it was reallocated

Multipass wrote: »

At the briefing today the GP representative was adamant that only the vulnerable group should be done by GPs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

seamus wrote: »
    That's not really the case. We just don't know yet because the original clinical trials administered the second dose between 2 and 6 weeks after the first. So the effectiveness of the first dose beyond six weeks is unproven.

More recent trials suggest that it is effective way past 6 weeks, but this data has not been formally submitted, so the original guidance stands.

AZ in their clinical trials tested out a much wider dosing interval, giving us the ability to delay the second dose by much longer.

The reason NPHET advised that people can be considered fully vaccinated after one dose was more sociology than immunology. They reasoned (correctly, IMO), that if you needed two doses to be considered "fully vaxxed" with AZ, then people might start refusing it. And since the second dose only boosts immunity by a few %, then the greater good is served by treating AZ patients as fully vaxxed after 4 weeks.

If this logic was true, then one dose should have been offered to any and all medically recommended to get it, before starting the 2nd dose, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Redjacketboy

That's great. I was worried I was in a high risk category. Cos I thought my diagnosis was no big deal.
    Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Redjacketboy

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

At the briefing today the GP representative was adamant that only the vulnerable group should be done by GPs

Was that Ray Walley?

The GP i referred to are doing cohorts 4 and 7 at the moment and their reserve list is patients outside of that in older ages the person I knew was 59

Better imo that doses are used rather than binned tbh

Stheno wrote: »
    Was that Ray Walley?

The GP i referred to are doing cohorts 4 and 7 at the moment and their reserve list is patients outside of that in older ages the person I knew was 59

Sorry I can’t remember his name . Reserve so no dose is wasted is not an issue i guess .

Sorry I can’t remember his name . Reserve so no dose is wasted is not an issue i guess .

This practice has finished the over 70s and are doing cohorts 4 and 7 at the moment so it makes sense to me what they are doing

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Was that Ray Walley?

Yep it was Ray Walley at the press briefing today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement