Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Where's this 16 week coming from? Has the advice changed from 12-16 weeks?
    I'm talking about the 12 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm talking about the 12 weeks

Ok, fair enough, but you quoted a post stating it was a 16 week gap between doses. By tomorrow everyone will be saying avoid AZ as it's a 4 month gap (even though 4 months is 17 weeks, so makes it seem worse)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

59yo. Registered first thing last Monday morning on the HSE portal. Text 5pm today telling me to be in City West tomorrow Saturday in the PM. Astrazeneca is the flavour they are giving me. My delight is dampened that I have to wait 16 weeks for the 2nd dose.

Interesting that other 58/59 yr olds earlier had appointments in City West and were told Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

My brother 48 and my sister 43 both had their vaccinations today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The people who post here today all said they were getting Pfizer as far as I remember

I never asked my gp office what one it’ll be, I was just so shocked/happy to get the call wasn’t expecting it so soon (40’s, cohort 7). I’ll take anyone so didn’t even think to ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

Curious as to why the 12/16 week gap for AZ is considered a major downside when the vaccine bonus kicks in after 4 weeks from the first dose?

You will have the same freedoms associated with vaccination within the same timeframe as getting Pfizer for example.

You have to go in twice for all but j+j anyway so it's pretty much the same no? Second AZ is just a booster..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lausp wrote: »
    Curious as to why the 12/16 week gap for AZ is considered a major downside when the vaccine bonus kicks in after 4 weeks from the first dose?

You will have the same freedoms associated with vaccination within the same timeframe as getting Pfizer for example.

You have to go in twice for all but j+j anyway so it's pretty much the same no? Second AZ is just a booster..
    You still need to complete the AZ cycle to get that boost and that's where the perception of the inconvenience of 12 weeks comes in. They can't present a scenario where people believe one shot of AZ is enough even though you have most of the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anyone been to the centre in the Aviva to get their vaccination recently? hope they have sorted out their system.

I know several....none had long waits.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭conor_mc

As things stand, those freedoms are only domestic afaik. EU GreenPass still requires second dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭larchielads

Registered my mother and my aunt 2 weeks ago both over 60, through hse portal. They rang their GP's but they told them to go through hse portal .They haven't heard anything yet. Based in waterford. Anyone know how the roll out is goin in waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Interesting that other 58/59 yr olds earlier had appointments in City West and were told Pfizer.

My dad is 56, just registered yesterday got a text for appointment on Tuesday. Pfizer in Citywest. Citywest seem to be absolutely trucking

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

duffman13 wrote: »
    My dad is 56, just registered yesterday got a text for appointment on Tuesday. Pfizer in Citywest. Citywest seem to be absolutely trucking

I wonder did they give Citywest too small a catchment area? I know a 68 year old getting their first jab in the Aviva today. That centre seems to be moving through its list much more slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

conor_mc wrote: »
    As things stand, those freedoms are only domestic afaik. EU GreenPass still requires second dose.

From the HSE website:

28 days after your 1st dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine, you can follow the same 'vaccine bonus' public health advice as fully vaccinated people. This does not include foreign travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

JPup wrote: »
    I wonder did they give Citywest too small a catchment area? I know a 68 year old getting their first jab in the Aviva today. That centre seems to be moving through its list much more slowly.

I think they've scaled up much quicker than anywhere else. I got mine there in March and they were already doing a fair few of them at the time so I'd imagine it's efficiency. It was an absolutely brilliant set up when I was there despite there being a lot of people getting done.

Catchment area seems fairly large for Citywest too based on people I know who've been vaccinated there

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

vaccine roll out seems to quiet well organised to date however the fact a person who is over 60 is actually at a disadvantage by being in cohort 7 is just on good enough. my dad 66, is grouo 4\7 due to some drugs he takes after a heart attack last year was told be the GP not register with the portal as he'd be done via GP but it'd be quicker if he wasnt high risk given his age

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think they've scaled up much quicker than anywhere else. I got mine there in March and they were already doing a fair few of them at the time so I'd imagine it's efficiency. It was an absolutely brilliant set up when I was there despite there being a lot of people getting done.

Catchment area seems fairly large for Citywest too based on people I know who've been vaccinated there

Only issue with CityWest is the approach road from the N7, gets backed up very easily. The setup is brill once you get in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭JPA

vaccine roll out seems to quiet well organised to date however the fact a person who is over 60 is actually at a disadvantage by being in cohort 7 is just on good enough. my dad 66, is grouo 4\7 due to some drugs he takes after a heart attack last year was told be the GP not register with the portal as he'd be done via GP but it'd be quicker if he wasnt high risk given his age

He should use the portal. Nevermind the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

[HTML][/HTML]

You'll be waiting until the second dose for foreign travel, which is a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Looking at the MVCs’ pace and taking into account deliveries (actual and projected), I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they start calling those in their 40s to register on the portal on 19th/20th May. Working down year by day could mean that they would be calling 40 year olds to register before the end of the month. We might then see 35-40 age group being invited to register in mid-June.

Pure speculation on my part but wouldn’t be at all surprised by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

He should just register with the portal. Nothing stopping him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

From the HSE website:

28 days after your 1st dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine, you can follow the same 'vaccine bonus' public health advice as fully vaccinated people. This does not include foreign travel.

I saw that on the HSE website. Meanwhile, the following appears on the citizens information website:

If you are fully vaccinated, you can meet with another fully vaccinated person indoors without wearing a face covering or social distancing. You are fully vaccinated:

15 days after the second AstraZeneca dose
    7 days after the second Pfizer-BioNtech dose
    14 days after the second Moderna dose
    14 days after the single Janssen dose

It looks as if different Government websites are giving different information about the AZ vaccine. Disappointing to see this discrepancy, but not at all surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Had a few conversations with friends, colleagues and family over the last few days (ages 30 to late 40’s). Seems to be a sense that they some will refuse AZ if offered and wait for Pfizer. Not much awareness of JJ although maybe the one dose regime may influence minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

you dont get to chose, your age bracket will dictate which vaccine you will get.

secman wrote: »
    you dont get to chose, your age bracket will dictate which vaccine you will get.

Well one you can just say no and go to the back of the queue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Vigiaccess.org is Who's international drug monitoring database. It compiles issues with drugs and vaccines across the world. The technical name of the vaccine produced by Pfizer is called Comirnaty and
    AstraZeneca is Vaxzevria

Type either of those into the search box on the above website. You can do your own research into adverse reactions to these vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

And be offered the same one again as dictated by age group, as it happens the 30 year olds will
    Most likely be getting Pfizer so it wasn't a well informed discussion.
    Myself and my wife both have had first AZ jabs for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

johnmck wrote: »
    Vigiaccess.org is Who's international drug monitoring database. It compiles issues with drugs and vaccines across the world. The technical name of the vaccine produced by Pfizer and Astrazeneca is called Comirnaty.

Type that into the search box on the above website. You can do your own research into adverse reactions to these vaccines

Pfizer is Comirnaty.
    AstraZeneca is Vaxzevria

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You can , and then be offered the same one your refused .Its not like they lay the vaccines out on the table and you get to choose one .

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    And be offered the same one again as dictated by age group, as it happens the 30 year olds will
    Most likely be getting Pfizer so it wasn't a well informed discussion.
    Myself and my wife both have had first AZ jabs for the record.

Maybe it was not well informed but that is the information that people are getting from mainstream media and other sources.

The messaging around this has been dreadful in recent weeks and not helped with some countries taking decisions not to administer certain vaccines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement