Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Could we have breached the 1% per day yesterday?
    Thursday was 0.93% and Fridays normally the highest days for vaccines. Be a significant milestone to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

johnmck wrote: »
    Vigiaccess.org is Who's international drug monitoring database. It compiles issues with drugs and vaccines across the world. The technical name of the vaccine produced by Pfizer and Astrazeneca is called Comirnaty.

Type that into the search box on the above website. You can do your own research into adverse reactions to these vaccines

Great, now do the same “research” by entering panadol or aspirin and see the equally scary looking lists

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You can , and then be offered the same one your refused .Its not like they lay the vaccines out on the table and you get to choose one .

Tbf there will have to be a point where people get a choice. Ultimate goal is everyone is vaccinated. If you've people who refuse AZ as they want Pfizer, they'll eventually get Pfizer unless we want to leave people unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cUZy6AMCwuA2zhtRuKK7cqMVgmhdDsGsZrFWJTkw9DY/edit#gid=1421952725

19k dose 1's in cohort 5
    12k dose 1's in cohort 4
    10k dose 2's in cohort 3

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Well one you can just say no and go to the back of the queue.

For now....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Great, now do the same “research” by entering panadol or aspirin and see the equally scary looking lists

For overdoses?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Had a few conversations with friends, colleagues and family over the last few days (ages 30 to late 40’s). Seems to be a sense that they some will refuse AZ if offered and wait for Pfizer. Not much awareness of JJ although maybe the one dose regime may influence minds.

Unless things change, they won't be offered AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

If the intention is to use all 4 available Vaccines on all Adults (which seems to be the direction this is going) then it will be a bit of a lottery which one a person gets.

So, for example, if I get an appointment for AZ and I don't want that, so I say that I can't make that appointment and reschedule. Then I get a new appointment with Moderna and I am happy with that so I take it.

Isn't that possible?

(For the record, I am happy to take any of the 4.)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

irishlad. wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cUZy6AMCwuA2zhtRuKK7cqMVgmhdDsGsZrFWJTkw9DY/edit#gid=1421952725

19k dose 1's in cohort 5
    12k dose 1's in cohort 4
    10k dose 2's in cohort 3

Using the figures above as an example it looks like there will be two main streams next week.

Stream 1: 60s and 50s given mainly Astra through MVC.
    This will take about two weeks
    (Approx 100k left in 60s, maybe 300k in 50s)

Stream 2: Referrals by GPs (Cohort 4/7)
    Given Pfizer through MVC. Numbers referred will depend on how other stream is progressing

Stream 3 Johnson & Johnson given to homeless, travellers, prisoners etc
    It could also be used on any 50s/60s that can't or won't travel to MVC or surgery.

A few points ( open to correction)

The reason Cohort 7 done is so low is that Cohort 4 and 7 and being used interchangeably. So all the fit healthy people that are getting GP referrals for "the asthma" are being put in Cohort 4 which is why it is already up to 250,000 people.

Anyone in 50s/60s offered Astra that does not want it can contact their GP and ask them for a Cohort 4 referral instead.

Numbers above for 50s/60s are approx numbers that would attend a MVC and take Astra if offered not necessarily number who register.

By early June vaccine hesitancy will become an issue. At that stage anyone who wants a vaccine will be given a choice.

Are they being overly cautious with withholding vaccines. Looks like 250,000 Pfizer/Moderna and 110,000 Astra are being kept in reserve at the moment.
    Should these not just be used now if we have the capacity and trust there will be enough future deliveries to do second doses as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

robinbird wrote: »

A few points ( open to correction)

The reason Cohort 7 done is so low is that Cohort 4 and 7 and being used interchangeably. So all the fit healthy people that are getting GP referrals for "the asthma" are being put in Cohort 4 which is why it is already up to 250,000 people.

Anyone in 50s/60s offered Astra that does not want it can contact their GP and ask them for a Cohort 4 referral instead.

By early June vaccine hesitancy will become an issue. At that stage anyone who wants a vaccine will be given a choice.

Where are you seeing that anyone aged 50s/60s can get a Cohort 4 referral ? That shouldn't be happening.

Are we really going to see widespread hesitancy in early June ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

The EU have concluded the deal for up to 1.8 billion additional doses of Pfizer-BioNTech over the next few years, mainly for boosters and vaccinating those aged 15 and under.

Ursula von der Leyen has said "Other contracts and other vaccine technologies will follow". I guess she is referring to pending signing of the Novavax EU contract? and maybe the possible Valneva EU contract?

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1390967173460463619

• Registered Users Posts: 18,970 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

SusanC10 wrote: »
    If the intention is to use all 4 available Vaccines on all Adults (which seems to be the direction this is going) then it will be a bit of a lottery which one a person gets.

So, for example, if I get an appointment for AZ and I don't want that, so I say that I can't make that appointment and reschedule. Then I get a new appointment with Moderna and I am happy with that so I take it.

Isn't that possible?

(For the record, I am happy to take any of the 4.)

In theory, yes but the problem is you could be left waiting weeks and you might simply be offered AZ again.

If you were relaxed enough about waiting for a few weeks and are not in a rush to get a vaccine, you could certainly try this route and see where it takes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Strazdas wrote: »
    In theory, yes but the problem is you could be left waiting weeks and you might simply be offered AZ again.

If you were relaxed enough about waiting for a few weeks and are not in a rush to get a vaccine, you could certainly try this route and see where it takes you.

Interesting how things are shaping in the US https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/us-vaccination-rollout-is-stalling-due-to-dwindling-demand-1.4558472

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that anyone aged 50s/60s can get a Cohort 4 referral ? That shouldn't be happening.

Are we really going to see widespread hesitancy in early June ??

Anyone that is on the lists of a doctor doing referrals can get a Cohort 4 referral for Pfizer from what I can tell. May actually be a clever strategy as they are playing on irish cute hoorism and queue jumping.

Yes. We are. Evidence from other countries has shown that vaccine hesitancy kicks in at about 60%. We are at 35% and ramping up so not that far away.
    Expect incentives by June. Choice of vaccine, walk in Johnson and Johnsons jabs from pharmacy. Discounts in shops and restaurants for those with vaccine certs. Possibly free choc ices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

just a quick update on my situation , my wife was very hesitant to take the Astra Zenaca vaccine , made an appointment for her anyway on the 26 th of April and today she took her vaccine and is over the moon about it , she stopped reading social media and listening to vaccine comparisons on news outlets and being generally a rational person made a decision herself to take it , DELIGHTED ,

Thanks for all the support on here which helped me to encourage her to come to a decision .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tony H wrote: »
    just a quick update on my situation , my wife was very hesitant to take the Astra Zenaca vaccine , made an appointment for her anyway on the 26 th of April and today she took her vaccine and is over the moon about it , she stopped reading social media and listening to vaccine comparisons on news outlets and being generally a rational person made a decision herself to take it , DELIGHTED ,

Thanks for all the support on here which helped me to encourage her to come to a decision .

Great to hear Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

robinbird wrote: »
    Anyone that is on the lists of a doctor doing referrals can get a Cohort 4 referral for Pfizer from what I can tell. May actually be a clever strategy as they are playing on irish cute hoorism and queue jumping.

Yes. We are. Evidence from other countries has shown that vaccine hesitancy kicks in at about 60%. We are at 35% and ramping up so not that far away.
    Expect incentives by June. Choice of vaccine, walk in Johnson and Johnsons jabs from pharmacy. Discounts in shops and restaurants for those with vaccine certs. Possibly free choc ices.

I think we are missing a trick on the digital travel certs. That can be an incentive for vaccination but the position taken so far is quite negative towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I got my first shot this afternoon.

branie2 wrote: »
    I got my first shot this afternoon.

It's a far cry from January where all we were hearing was posters testing positive or knowing people testing positive. Now it's everyone getting jabbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Cohort 4 was estimated at 200-250k, there's currently 222k with a first dose. Not sure what you mean by 'got so big'

Cohort 4 started out as being 140k (see this, among other articles, from Feb: https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-vaccination-priority-list-5363927-Feb2021/) it has been added on to gradually since then and effectively taken in those in cohort 7 who would be more at risk than older age groups, this has left cohort 7 being people who are higher risk but less risk than older people.

The hope for a quick rollout would be that they do cohort 7 slowly while just opening up the age groups and taking in those in cohort 7 anyway, which would also reduce the outside pressure being put on health professionals by individuals trying to skip the queue (as they can't argue about age).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

Why are the 50-60 are being forced to take AZ while other age groups n both sides are offered pfizer? Even GP says they can't change that. It is chaos without good reasoning.

niamh247 wrote: »
    Why are the 50-60 are being forced to take AZ while other age groups n both sides are offered pfizer? Even GP says they can't change that. It is chaos without good reasoning.

Are the 50-60 not being offered AZ and the other age groups forced to take Pfizer?
    We can all play with the wording to make it sound worse.
    50+ have 4 vaccines available, under 50 only have 2 available.

Anyways, nobody is being forced to take a vaccine, fix you wording, it's misleading.

They are not being "forced" to take AZ. They are being told that if they want to get a vaccine now based on age that AZ is what is available.
    As mentioned Cohort 4 referrals for Pfizer through many GPs are one alternative.
    The other is that if you don't want AZ now that you wait till early June when you will have a vaccine choice.

secman wrote: »
    And be offered the same one again as dictated by age group, as it happens the 30 year olds will
    Most likely be getting Pfizer so it wasn't a well informed discussion.
    Myself and my wife both have had first AZ jabs for the record.
    This is quite irrational, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AdamD wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

You'll be waiting until the second dose for foreign travel, which is a bit of a pain.

There is not currently, and no plan for, a restriction on foreign travel to vaccinated people only.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would find it difficult to make any comparison to the U.S. on vaccine hesitancy and anywhere else. Practically everything there has been politicised to some extent there over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Nobody is forced to do anything . Most people have the good sense to know that the best vaccine is the one offered to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Why are under 50s being forced to wait until unappreciative over 50s decide whether on not they take a particular vaccine or not. I'd take any of the four on offer right now.

Lumen wrote: »
    There is not currently, and no plan for, a restriction on foreign travel to vaccinated people only.

Not necessarily the case. EU plans on bringing in travel restrictions for those that don't do what they are told and get a vaccine. Those getting AZ will not be eligible for this for a few weeks after second dose.
    So you could be restricted from travel later in the summer based on which vaccine you get. a legitimate concern for many.

The govt "vaccine bonus" concept whereby you will get the official permission to hug a family member at a particular date is pathetically meaningless and insulting.

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Are the 50-60 not being offered AZ and the other age groups forced to take Pfizer?
    We can all play with the wording to make it sound worse.
    50+ have 4 vaccines available, under 50 only have 2 available.

Anyways, nobody is being forced to take a vaccine, fix you wording, it's misleading.
    "forced" is the right word because a possibly inferior option is available compared to other age groups. By the way, it is the other EU govts who made a comparattive positioning of the options, not me. If you are unsure about ths, you can check Denmark gov website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement