Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blackcard wrote: »
    PS. I rolled up the sleeve of my shirt to get the jab but the nurse wasn't satisfied that it was rolled up far enough for her to give the jab where she wanted to so so I had to partially remove my shirt

You're in good company.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/12/male-politicians-vaccine-selfies-vaxxie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

revelman wrote: »
    I know there are a couple of MVCs that are yet to open but let’s say 35 are open today. You’d expect Kilkenny to be an average or slightly larger than average sized MVC. If this is the case, this would mean that over 20,000 people are getting vaccinated today at MVCs. This would be fantastic for a Sunday and all first doses!

I wonder what they are doing in city west per day , I'm here now and there looks to be a conveyor belt of people going in and out , I'm parked out in an overflow for the overflow I think

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mightyreds wrote: »
    I wonder what they are doing in city west per day , I'm here now and there looks to be a conveyor belt of people going in and out , I'm parked out in an overflow for the overflow I think

Helix did I think 4500 last Saturday so I suspect Cotywest would do at least that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This is controversial but it is madness that the whole Government are not yet vaccinated.

I think it shows poor judgement for Martin to travel abroad and then go the next day among a crowd of 60 something unvaccinated people. There would have been no particular issue had he been vaccinated before his trip abroad, even if you do not accept that he should have been done months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 suttonboi1

Got my vaccine yesterday in my GPs, they were churning through them. The doc said they were due to give 350 that day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

This thread is just so uplifting (excluding the issues with cohort 7 but I do believe it will be sorted), amazing to see the rates of vaccination hitting big numbers and getting down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

1,060 vaccinations done in Cork City Hall today.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I think it shows poor judgement for Martin to travel abroad and then go the next day among a crowd of 60 something unvaccinated people. There would have been no particular issue had he been vaccinated before his trip abroad, even if you do not accept that he should have been done months ago.

The alternative is being accused of having snouts in the trough, which I think would severely undermine any and all govt guidance. Besides, he’s probably being tested near daily at this stage.

Can’t please all the people all the time, but given the Coombe and Beacon sagas, they were well advised to wait their turn imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Is there anywhere we can see how vaccination is progressing in the different centres. It is very frustrating hearing how some areas are starting the 50 year olds while some still seem to be working on the 65+ cohort. Why are all centres not working at weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,603 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This is controversial but it is madness that the whole Government are not yet vaccinated.

If they did the looney left would be all over them like flies on sh1te shouting about them jumping the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Interesting real world data coming out of South Korea, studying 3.5 million people. Both Pfizer and Astrazeneca almost 90% effective in preventing disease in over 60s after the first shot.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7842318/pfizer-astrazeneca-vaccines-effectiveness-data/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

If they did the looney left would be all over them like flies on sh1te shouting about them jumping the queue.

They would but they should have got it anyway and shown up those people's ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭Stark

crossman47 wrote: »
    They would but they should have got it anyway and shown up those people's ignorance.

Save us a good bit on rent anyway getting them out of the convention centre.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

crossman47 wrote: »
    They'd have to then listen to the various unions, who wanted their vaccine early, scream blue murder if this "skipping" happened. Probably thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Why are boardsies bringing politics into this? This is a public health issue, end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭plodder

If they should have been vaccinated earlier then they should have been called out in the list of categories with the appropriate justification. IMO it is great to see them waiting their turn like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bikeman1

On the point about An Taoiseach only getting his vaccine today, I think that that is disgraceful.

If running a country in the middle of the biggest pandemic in a century is not an essential job, then I don’t know what is?

The government makes its decision based on tweets instead of what should be done. The cabinet should have been done at the outset.

—-

Does anyone know why the rollout out of J&J is so slow. Looks to be a few hundred done. I thought we had 14,000 delivered at the end of April?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

bikeman1 wrote: »
    On the point about An Taoiseach only getting his vaccine today, I think that that is disgraceful.

If running a country in the middle of the biggest pandemic in a century is not an essential job, then I don’t know what is?

The government makes its decision based on tweets instead of what should be done. The cabinet should have been done at the outset.

—-

Does anyone know why the rollout out of J&J is so slow. Looks to be a few hundred done. I thought we had 14,000 delivered at the end of April?

I don't think many world leaders skipped ahead of the general population for their vaccinations. The optics would be extremely poor. If you were to prioritize it though, our President would need to be first in line. He can't be replaced as easily as the Taoiseach, as he's elected by the public.

On the J&J rollout, I'd say they were just doing trial runs. I'd expect that would ramp up fast as there's no need to be working out appointments etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just 8 new cases in Israel today. Vaccine proving incredibly effective.

• Advertisement

2 Less than Australia! and only 6 more than New Zealand. It's insane how fast and effective the vaccines are with only 60% population coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Friends father is 58 and received his appointment for Cork City Hall this coming Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

We can be zero Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Wolf359f wrote: »
    2 Less than Australia! and only 6 more than New Zealand. It's insane how fast and effective the vaccines are with only 60% population coverage.

Its all about breaking the chains of transmission.

60% population coverage gives a significant amount of herd immunity. Once the numbers are brought down it will stay down.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

Stheno wrote: »
    Yep also begs the question of what will be used for second doses

The almost one million doses ordered in the first two quarters that have yet to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Its all about breaking the chains of transmission.

60% population coverage gives a significant amount of herd immunity. Once the numbers are brought down it will stay down.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/18/967462483/how-herd-immunity-works-and-what-stands-in-its-way?t=1620598671480

Excellent simulator on this article pretty much demonstrates it, 5%, 30% and 75% vaccinated and how impactful vaccines are

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

The almost one million doses ordered in the first two quarters that have yet to arrive.

So on that basis approx.
    300,000 awaiting second doses.

100,000 in storage and 1,000,000 due to arrive.
    So they could give out approx 400,000 AZ more.
    Not quite enough to do remainder of 60s and all the 50s
    They will probably use some Pfizer for those to speed it up.
    Should take about two weeks.
    Open portal for 40s from 17th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Jeff2

There should be link in OP or sticky on where one would apply to get the vaccine.

• Advertisement

robinbird wrote: »
    So on that basis approx.
    300,000 awaiting second doses.

100,000 in storage and 1,000,000 due to arrive.
    So they could give out approx 400,000 AZ more.
    Not quite enough to do remainder of 60s and all the 50s
    They will probably use some Pfizer for those to speed it up.
    Should take about two weeks.
    Open portal for 40s from 17th May.

I believe they are using some Pfizer already for 50+ appointments in MVC based on posters reports on here. They also have J&J for the 50+

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement