Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I believe they are using some Pfizer already for 50+ appointments in MVC based on posters reports on here. They also have J&J for the 50+

Yup. Noticed that. So 50s will be a mix or AZ and Pfizer.
    Think J&J will be used for vulnerable groups mainly and those that can't/won't travel for the next few weeks. Once deliveries increase they could be used for the 45-50 group from late May/early June. Maybe even give that those in that cohort a choice Pfizer of J&J.
    And then from mid June given to the pharmacies for walk in vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

robinbird wrote: »
    Yup. Noticed that. So 50s will be a mix or AZ and Pfizer.
    Think J&J will be used for vulnerable groups mainly and those that can't/won't travel for the next few weeks. Once deliveries increase they could be used for the 45-50 group from late May/early June. Maybe even give that those in that cohort a choice Pfizer of J&J.
    And then from mid June given to the pharmacies for walk in vaccinations.

Obviously J&J is being used solely for certain groups, due to the small amount we have. But over the next few weeks it should hopefully ramp up and will be used on the 50+ along with Pfizer, Moderna & AZ. They will have all 4 available to them. They will not be given a choice.

The pharmacies, I don't get, talk about them being only able to use J&J or AZ.... same pharmacies in the USA have been dishing out Pfizer and Moderna easily enough. As long as theirs supply, they should be added into the fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

blackcard wrote: »
    PS. I rolled up the sleeve of my shirt to get the jab but the nurse wasn't satisfied that it was rolled up far enough for her to give the jab where she wanted to so so I had to partially remove my shirt

Men wearing long sleeve shorts is about the biggest holdup I've seen doing the vaccinations - slows the process right down!

Cold days are slower too because people have more layers on, but that one can't really be helped.

Obviously J&J is being used solely for certain groups, due to the small amount we have. But over the next few weeks it should hopefully ramp up and will be used on the 50+ along with Pfizer, Moderna & AZ. They will have all 4 available to them. They will not be given a choice.

The pharmacies, I don't get, talk about them being only able to use J&J or AZ.... same pharmacies in the USA have been dishing out Pfizer and Moderna easily enough. As long as theirs supply, they should be added into the fold.

But by the time J&J supply increases over 50s will be finished. They should be done by about May 25th. But supply will increase in time for it to be used on 45-50.

Think the main reason to use pharmacies is to counter vaccine hesitancy once rollout in MVCs more or less completed. Say from mid June onwards. Give them a few hundred thousand doses on J&J and make them available to walk ins. Thoses that couldn't be bothered to make an appointment might walk in to one for a quick one and done jab if they are passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Any estimate as to when the portal for people in their 30s will open?

• Advertisement

But by the time J&J supply increases over 50s will be finished. They should be done by about May 25th. But supply will increase in time for it to be used on 45-50.

Think the main reason to use pharmacies is to counter vaccine hesitancy once rollout in MVCs more or less completed. Say from mid June onwards. Give them a few hundred thousand doses on J&J and make them available to walk ins. Thoses that couldn't be bothered to make an appointment might walk in to one for a quick one and done jab if they are passing.

It can't be used on people below 50 at this time. If that's stays the same, they can't be used for walk ins (assuming the uptake stays high in the 50+ age group). A few hundred thousand doses, we only have 600k ordered!

It can't be used on people below 50 at this time. If that's stays the same, they can't be used for walk ins (assuming the uptake stays high in the 50+ age group). A few hundred thousand doses, we only have 600k ordered!

Maybe that's a bit high. Give the pharmacies 100k doses of J&J from mid June.
    J&J already being given to prisoners, travellers, roma, drug users and homeless of any age. So there wouldn't be an issue whereby pharmacy walk ins signed a disclaimer before getting it.
    Pfizer wouldn't work in pharmacies as the only point of using them would be to target those reluctant to get a vaccine and they wouldn't return for second jab.
    I expect that they will change the guidelines to allow them to give the J&J delivery coming in early June to 45-49 through the MVCs

Maybe that's a bit high. Give the pharmacies 100k doses of J&J from mid June.
    J&J already being given to prisoners, travellers, roma, drug users and homeless of any age. So there wouldn't be an issue whereby pharmacy walk ins signed a disclaimer before getting it.
    Pfizer wouldn't work in pharmacies as the only point of using them would be to target those reluctant to get a vaccine and they wouldn't return for second jab.
    I expect that they will change the guidelines to allow them to give the J&J delivery coming in early June to 45-49 through the MVCs

No, the point of pharmacies is when we get more vaccines per week than the GP's or MVC can use, that's when you need pharmacies help. Absolutely nothing to do with vaccine hesitancy.

I think the disclaimer regarding J&J and AZ has already been shot down by NIAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

You could potentially find a disclaimer might not be worth the paper it's written on if it ended up in court. I would suspect that's where NIAC is coming from.

Ireland's way, way more litigious than many continental countries and also uses a different type of legal system. A disclaimer only goes so far and may not be legally water tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

E03_NmnXIAIKhuD?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

So for Ireland (43.49% of Belgium's pop) approx 238,642 will be delivered next week, 227,309 on the week of the 17th and 354,300 on the week of the 24th.
    On the week of the 24th there should be a huge J&J delivery too which will substantially boost that number maybe to around 450k-500k?

In the ball park of 319,038 Pfizer guaranteed every week and 37,053 Moderna from the start of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

E03_NmnXIAIKhuD?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

So for Ireland (43.49% of Belgium's pop) approx 238,642 will be delivered next week, 227,309 on the week of the 17th and 354,300 on the week of the 24th.
    On the week of the 24th there should be a huge J&J delivery too which will substantially boost that number maybe to around 450k-500k?

In the ball park of 319,038 Pfizer guaranteed every week and 37,053 Moderna from the start of June.

I am not sure his Pfizer figures are correct. A number of our April deliveries were 20k+ higher than the figures he states.

So we need to reduce the age of J&J to use more than 50k of it. Worse case scenario is we end up not using 550k doses, best case seems to be we we use 200k. That means we will need 800-1100k mRNA doses to cover it. That is at least a 2 week delay for people in their early 30s and younger, maybe as much as 5-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

eoinbn wrote: »
    I am not sure his Pfizer figures are correct. A number of our April deliveries were 20k+ higher than the figures he states.

So we need to reduce the age of J&J to use more than 50k of it. Worse case scenario is we end up not using 550k doses, best case seems to be we we use 200k. That means we will need 800-1100k mRNA doses to cover it. That is at least a 2 week delay for people in their early 30s and younger, maybe as much as 5-6 weeks.

They may need a smart strategy with JJ as the opt in fast vaccine for under 40’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

GPs seem to be only giving the jab to the old and sick so far, people who are healthy seem to all have to wait to go to a vaccine cantre.

I discovered something very curious about my own GP surgery which is a little concerning.

I need to stress I have an auto immune disease (Thyroid) with serious other related issues including very high blood pressure and increased heart rate. Both my excellent GP and Endocrinologist stated clearly from the outset I was high risk, I'm on 5 seperate meds daily.

In a casual conversation over the weekend with a neighbour, I was surprised to learn a number of locals (I'm in a rural location) have not only been contacted but vaccinated, none are high risk (according to them) all women and slightly older than me (54). One women's husband whom I know personally has a serious lung issue, also a patient of same GP clinic, in his 60" s, his wife contacted and vaccinated, not high risk and even she was shocked to get the call, husband still not contacted or vaccinated.

I'm absolutely not begrudging anyone, my concern is the GP practice not terribly large, how is it possible high risk patients apparently being over looked, it just seems extraordinary.

I'm registering today as it happens, just thought Id throw out this situation for thoughts

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I discovered something very curious about my own GP surgery which is a little concerning.

I need to stress I have an auto immune disease (Thyroid) with serious other related issues including very high blood pressure and increased heart rate. Both my excellent GP and Endocrinologist stated clearly from the outset I was high risk, I'm on 5 seperate meds daily.

In a casual conversation over the weekend with a neighbour, I was surprised to learn a number of locals (I'm in a rural location) have not only been contacted but vaccinated, none are high risk (according to them) all women and slightly older than me (54). One women's husband whom I know personally has a serious lung issue, also a patient of same GP clinic, in his 60" s, his wife contacted and vaccinated, not high risk and even she was shocked to get the call, husband still not contacted or vaccinated.

I'm absolutely not begrudging anyone, my concern is the GP practice not terribly large, how is it possible high risk patients apparently being over looked, it just seems extraordinary.

I'm registering today as it happens, just thought Id throw out this situation for thoughts

Sounds dodgy alright but I find it hard to believe a GP would do normal people ahead of the high risk patients? You mention that s/he is excellent? if you are high risk should you be done via Cohort for at GP rather than registering for the MVC?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

eoinbn wrote: »
    Plus the other incidental costs, including people having to take time off work to go to and from MVCs. There is the convenience factor to J&J which I think has been completely underplayed, particularly when you get into younger cohorts who may be less bothered about getting the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

You could potentially find a disclaimer might not be worth the paper it's written on if it ended up in court.

That's what I guessed as well, disclaimers from the point of view of personal injury/accidents tend to be fairly useless from what I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Sounds dodgy alright but I find it hard to believe a GP would do normal people ahead of the high risk patients? You mention that s/he is excellent? if you are high risk should you be done via Cohort for at GP rather than registering for the MVC?

The GP is excellent to be fair and I'm reporting, honestly what I discovered. I live in a smallish rural community, 2 doctor Clinic and it was only the fact I had a casual conversation with neighbours this situation came to my attention. As I stated, one spouse of a husband who is high risk was shocked to have recieved the call
    And vacinne and both patients of this clinic.

As I have to get bloods done regularly, this concerns me even more as I've been to the surgery twice since they started vaccinating and not a word to me about high priority etc.

I'd be perhaps be none the wiser if I lived on a larger community.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Zipppy wrote: »
    Yes, I feel a little bit 'meh' this morning but not sure if that's last nites wine or the jab :D

I'm hoping to crack open that languid bottle of Lidl champagne tonight to celebrate receiving my first jab, so I won't know if it will be the hangover or after-effects... most likely a double-dose hangover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

28,420 done on Saturday

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-08-may-2021.pdf

Which brings Total from Monday to Saturday to 223103 so they've exceeded the lower end of their target with 1 days data left to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Main story in Times Ireland edition today. 1000 Pfizer vaccines arrived at GP in Longford when they were only expecting 200-300. Needed to find people so vaccine wouldn’t go to waste. Apparently hundreds of people turned up outside the GP’s. Absolute chaos leading to guards needing to disperse the crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

revelman wrote: »
    Main story in Times Ireland edition today. 1000 Pfizer vaccines arrived at GP in Longford when they were only expecting 200-300. Needed to find people so vaccine wouldn’t go to waste. Apparently hundreds of people turned up outside the GP’s. Absolute chaos leading to guards needing to disperse the crowds.

A bit of exaggeration in the media as usual. I went down to have a look but there was no guarantee i would get the jab so i didn’t stay. There was a good queue alright but i couldn’t see any chaos. Even a few car load of guards went down and got the jab. It was actually great to see people eager to get it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I was talking to a mate who’s partner worked in city west at the weekend and she reckoned she got through about 12 jabs an hour so I’d be surprised if a doctors could get close to 1000 in a day.

It was her first day vaccinating and she was impressed with the setup.

salmocab wrote: »
    I was talking to a mate who’s partner worked in city west at the weekend and she reckoned she got through about 12 jabs an hour so I’d be surprised if a doctors could get close to 1000 in a day.

It was her first day vaccinating and she was impressed with the setup.

City Hall in Cork did 1,060 jabs yesterday and I’m guessing that CityWest is a bigger operation. Weekends seem to be a bit slower than weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

City Hall in Cork did 1,060 jabs yesterday and I’m guessing that CityWest is a bigger operation. Weekends seem to be a bit slower than weekdays.

Yes but a GP surgery is not City West !
    No GP surgery could use 1000 doses over a weekend

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes but a GP surgery is not City West !
    No GP surgery could use 1000 doses over a weekend

I misread the initial post. I thought that the poster was saying that CityWest could do 1000 in a day! Thought it was a slight underestimate to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

hmmm wrote: »
    Plus the other incidental costs, including people having to take time off work to go to and from MVCs. There is the convenience factor to J&J which I think has been completely underplayed, particularly when you get into younger cohorts who may be less bothered about getting the vaccine.

I suspect by the time we get to very low risk under 30 the evidence will be fairly strong that one dose of any vaccine will be enough. Four weeks to build up immunity. The second dose can be delayed indefinitely. With prompt requirements for a timely second dose only for the vulnerable.

Then in winter we can give the under 30s their second dose that will likely cover any of pesky variants, if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Aviva can do about 3K and Helix can do nearly 5K a day. CityWest is at least 2K. Saw Croke Park in use yesterday and it will have 10 booths so I guess that's about 1K a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    28,420 done on Saturday

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-08-may-2021.pdf

Which brings Total from Monday to Saturday to 223103 so they've exceeded the lower end of their target with 1 days data left to be released.

The numbers on the graphic you linked don't add to that, slightly under 28k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

How are things looking now in terms of a timeline for people aged 45-49 ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The numbers on the graphic you linked don't add to that, slightly under 28k?
    Due to some late reporting, numbers given for a particular day and the total cumulative increase (i.e. the difference between Saturday's total and Friday's) usually differ slightly.

So 28K is the difference between Saturday's total and Friday's total, even though slightly less is actually recorded for Saturday.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement