Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Booking system software is a commodity at this stage and they could have made a better effort. When I registered the text said I would receive 3 to 7 days notice of an appointment, but I have one later today which I received on Saturday, i.e. 2 days. That's not a problem for me, but it could be a problem for some people.
    `
    How do you survive when you order something on line and it arrives early!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

`
    How do you survive when you order something on line and it arrives early!!!!!!!!!!

I would imagine they are at home to take it or it gets delivered to a neighbour :pac:

You are given an appointment, if it doesnt work ring to reschedule, in the interest of speed, I have no issue with the current process. As the months wind on then there will need to be a change of focus towards convenience. I got less than a days notice as did a lot of my staff but the vast majority of employers will be more than happy to facilitate appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

trellheim wrote: »
    ok thanks for that.
    The other thread is good on this, too. [mods: a new one also appeared which should be merged]

City West is for people out that way. Work will accommodate people for it also as makes sense.

Most people have a family member with a car and it is also on the luas line.

I live closer to Citywest than the city centre so could easily get allocated there. If I didn't have a car it would be very difficult for me to get there on public transport.

I'm nowhere near the Luas line.

I don't have family members in the area, but if I did, I can hardly expect them to take time off work to drive me to Citywest. They might be able to offer a lift at certain times, but can't just do it at the drop of a hat at the time the HSE randomly allocated.

Clearly a stone age IT system is the issue, but you should at least be able to change the time or location through the phone line. Yet that's not allowed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

is_that_so wrote: »
    Aviva can do about 3K and Helix can do nearly 5K a day. CityWest is at least 2K. Saw Croke Park in use yesterday and it will have 10 booths so I guess that's about 1K a day.

Citywest has 3 avenues of vaccination booths, i was in the middle avenue and noticed No 13 at the end of the avenue, so they would have close to 40 booths, haven't heard of what numbers they are hitting but from my experience its running like clockwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I live closer to Citywest than the city centre so could easily get allocated there. If I didn't have a car it would be very difficult for me to get there on public transport.

I'm nowhere near the Luas line.

I don't have family members in the area, but if I did, I can hardly expect them to take time off work to drive me to Citywest. They might be able to offer a lift at certain times, but can't just do it at the drop of a hat at the time the HSE randomly allocated.

Clearly a stone age IT system is the issue, but you should at least be able to change the time or location through the phone line. Yet that's not allowed either.

They put together a quick system that would work and not cause more delays. Safest option for HSE and wise move given their record

For the HSE to get this working with time slots, would take them a long time, they aren't the greatest with IT in fairness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

I had the astra zenica vaccine yesterday...I seem to have had atlest one strange symtom..idk...but as soon as I sat down in the observation area I seemed to get a metallic taste appear in my mouth ..thankfully it went later in the day.
    My other symtoms since getting the vaccine are ....runny nose...terrible congestion in my head...spaced out feeling (now gone) hot/cold feeling....and extremely sleepy...oh and today my arm is also very very sore/painful to lift.
    Thankfully, I haven't had headaches like I know some people have experienced. My daughter told me to drink plenty of water before I went for the vaccine and after ....maybe that's helped..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

suttonboi1 wrote: »
    10 mins per jab sounds very slow. I got mine on Sat in the GPs and he went through at least 3, maybe 4, in the 10 minutes I was sitting waiting after my jab.

Syringe’s all prepared, took him 10 secs to fill it from the vial. I was in the room with him for no more than a minute, job done, very impressed.

Nobody mentioned 10 mins - it was 12 in an hour i.e. five mins which is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

I had the astra zenica vaccine yesterday...I seem to have had atlest one strange symtom..idk...but as soon as I sat down in the observation area I seemed to get a metallic taste appear in my mouth ..thankfully it went later in the day.
    My other symtoms since getting the vaccine are ....runny nose...terrible congestion in my head...spaced out feeling (now gone) hot/cold feeling....and extremely sleepy...oh and today my arm is also very very sore/painful to lift.
    Thankfully, I haven't had headaches like I know some people have experienced. My daughter told me to drink plenty of water before I went for the vaccine and after ....maybe that's helped..

I too got the metallic taste in my mouth, the only other side effects was a 6 hour delrious temperature. Once that passed i was fine bar a slight tenderness in my arm which quickly passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

hmmm wrote: »
    Been wondering that myself. The Government should encourage employers to give employees the time off to travel. Anything which discourages vaccinations would be a negative.

I work for a government agency and we are given one day off for the vaccination.

Considering I had made it to the GP, got my vaccine and was back at my desk at home within 40mins, I decided I'd take the following day off just in case there was any sde effects.

For the 2nd dose, I may just take annual leave (not short on it these days...).

Anecdotally, I have heard of quite a few employers being very flexible regarding vaccines which is good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anxiety maybe? I've noticed that sometimes if I'm anxious about something. Especially if I get a proper fright, I end up with a very strong metallic taste in my mouth afterwards.

My uncle aged 62 registered online 2 weeks ago and has still not heard anything regarding an appointment, just seeing here than some centres are now giving out appointments to people in their 50s.

Would it be worth his while ringing the HSE or is it just a case that there is still some people in their 60s waiting for appointments in certain parts of the country (Kinsale in his case).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 suttonboi1

crossman47 wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned 10 mins - it was 12 in an hour i.e. five mins which is fine.

Please look back at the post I quoted, it’s says “10 mins doesn’t sound unreasonable per jab”

For the record I think they are doing a fantastic job. From my experience in the GP however it was much quicker that 10 mins per jab or even 5 mins. They were doing at least 3 every 10 mins, not one per 10 mins. That’s all I was arguing, and pointing out that 10 mins per jab was very slow.

Stark wrote: »
    Anxiety maybe? I've noticed that sometimes if I'm anxious about something. Especially if I get a proper fright, I end up with a very strong metallic taste in my mouth afterwards.

No, it wasn't anxiety...it was a most strange feeling ... I actually don't know how to describe it....it just seemed to appear...I googled it after because my sister-in-law had her vaccination at the same time and didn't experience that feeling ..and what I found was it was a new side effect that some people seem to be experiencing....idk...thankfully it has gone now...

1huge1 wrote: »
    My uncle aged 62 registered online 2 weeks ago and has still not heard anything regarding an appointment, just seeing here than some centres are now giving out appointments to people in their 50s.

Would it be worth his while ringing the HSE or is it just a case that there is still some people in their 60s waiting for appointments in certain parts of the country (Kinsale in his case).

I'd say ring the hse....I rang for an appointment saturday morning and was told it would probably be 3 weeks before I got one....got a text later on saturday afternoon and had an appointment for sunday morning...but that was in sligo..

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

There was someone on here last night saying that a relative of theirs, who is 58, has been called for a vaccination in an MVC in Cork city this week. I’d wait another couple of days. I’m sure they are still ironing out creases. He will probably be called very soon. If he isn’t called this week, I’d look into it then in case there is a clerical error.

No, it wasn't anxiety...it was a most strange feeling ... I actually don't know how to describe it....it just seemed to appear...I googled it after because my sister-in-law had her vaccination at the same time and didn't experience that feeling ..and what I found was it was a new side effect that some people seem to be experiencing....idk...thankfully it has gone now...

Interestingly, it also appears to be a side effect of COVID and long-COVID.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hopefully in the next couple days.

revelman wrote: »
    There was someone on here last night saying that a relative of theirs, who is 58, has been called for a vaccination in an MVC in Cork city this week. I’d wait another couple of days. I’m sure they are still ironing out creases. He will probably be called very soon. If he isn’t called this week, I’d look into it then in case there is a clerical error.

Over 50s are getting appointments so yes I’d phone and query this ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭plodder

They put together a quick system that would work and not cause more delays. Safest option for HSE and wise move given their record

For the HSE to get this working with time slots, would take them a long time, they aren't the greatest with IT in fairness!!
    How much notice are people getting? There were some stories of people being told to come the following day after receiving the text, which won't work at all for most < 65 's

Don't want to sound too critical but aside from the system itself which is surely not beyond the capability of developers here, why would self-selected slots cause problems for the HSE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

secman wrote: »
    Citywest has 3 avenues of vaccination booths, i was in the middle avenue and noticed No 13 at the end of the avenue, so they would have close to 40 booths, haven't heard of what numbers they are hitting but from my experience its running like clockwork.

Citywest has 50 booths.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Deenie78

I feel like the Irish system gets a lot of grief so thought it might be interesting to share that we're not the only ones not getting it 100% right. I lived in Edinburgh for 9 years and my NHS mail still goes to brother's house over there. I got offered a vaccine for the 16th May, I'm 43 (no health issues) and my brother (48) has not heard anything yet. My friend (46) who also lives over there, and has underlying health conditions has also not heard anything.

Deenie78 wrote: »
    I feel like the Irish system gets a lot of grief so thought it might be interesting to share that we're not the only ones not getting it 100% right. I lived in Edinburgh for 9 years and my NHS mail still goes to brother's house over there. I got offered a vaccine for the 16th May, I'm 43 (no health issues) and my brother (48) has not heard anything yet. My friend (46) who also lives over there, and has underlying health conditions has also not heard anything.

There are people in Germany (!) making similar complaints. Nothing on this scale has been done before. To be honest, I’ve been very impressed by what we are doing here in Ireland. I didn’t expect it to be so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭Stark

plodder wrote: »
    How much notice are people getting? There were some stories of people being told to come the following day after receiving the text, which won't work at all for most < 65 's

Don't want to sound too critical but aside from the system itself which is surely not beyond the capability of developers here, why would self-selected slots cause problems for the HSE?

It'll be staycation season by the time I'm offered an appointment. Will be a pain if I have to drive all the way across the country and back in the middle of a holiday to get it.

Absolutely, I've no doubt most countries are experiencing these issues more or less, my housemate is from Italy and apparently issues like this are commonplace (identifying vulnerable people etc), or another issue they are having over there is that certain centres are only giving out certain vaccines, e.g a Pfizer centre, so you have a situation where people are cancelling dates at AZ centres and just going for the Pfizer centre.

Is that after you registered for the vaccine?

No I did absolutely nothing - I've been back in Dublin for 5 years and got my brother to cancel the appt on my behalf (gutted!).

revelman wrote: »
    There are people in Germany (!) making similar complaints. Nothing on this scale has been done before. To be honest, I’ve been very impressed by what we are doing here in Ireland. I didn’t expect it to be so good.

Totally agree, I've been really impressed with the ramp up and feel like auld Ireland gets an awful bashing for this type of thing, as if every other country is nailing it without any issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭trellheim

28420 or thereabouts jabbed on Saturday. Although not an overall high, it is the highest Saturday so far bringing us to around 223,000 for the week and we might just , just break the 240k although we've never had a Sunday anywhere close to 17k

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Deenie78 wrote: »
    Totally agree, I've been really impressed with the ramp up and feel like auld Ireland gets an awful bashing for this type of thing, as if every other country is nailing it without any issue!

When the complaints are about being able to choose a time and date for your vaccine things aren't too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

My parents are in a similar situation. Know of people younger being vaccinated in the same centre they will be going to. My dad rang to query it, just incase there was a change in criteria or something wrong with their registration. Was told appointments are computer generated and was told if they didn't hear anything 3 weeks after registering, it could be escalated. It'll be 3 weeks at the end of this week so fingers crossed they hear soon.
    Hope your uncle does too :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement