Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

d15ude wrote: »
    lukas8888 wrote: »

Your received your invitation text only 1 hour before the date?
    I understand it's a crisis situation, but a little better planning should be possible.
    What kinda SW are the running?

Yes one hour before,the texts were sent out the night before to a few hundred people but were not delivered.The Sligo centre only realised what happened when
    nobody turned up for their 9AM appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

What are the thoughts on what NIAC will do with Janssen this week?

I just heard on the news that they're making a call on whether under 50s will get it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

zebastein wrote: »
    How do you guys know for sure that a better planning is possible?

Imagine John Smith receives a text 3 days before the D day of his appointment. Jane Doe is on the waiting list so that her vaccine is only due at D+7.

John Smith calls the HSE to cancel the appointment 2hours before the due time. Now there is an unused dose, an empty booth, and a staff doing nothing.
    Option A: they send a text to Jane Doe for an appointment in 1h or 2h, hoping that she is available. Jane Doe is available, she gets lucky to get a vaccine 7days before she should have initially, but she does not know it and complains that the HSE is really bad at planning.

Option B: they do nothing, because everyone needs to be asked at least 3days in advance. The slot is not used, the vaccination program is slow and Jane Doe is only vaccinated 7days later.

I think it is easy to complain when nobody knows the circumstances. People cancel, people don't show up to the appointments, extra doses become available at the very short notice, that is the normal life of vaccinating 230k people a week.

Better planning = less flexibility = running a much slower campaign

A lot of whataboutery there, some of these points basically assume that the HSE's method has to be the best by default and it's up to everyone else to prove otherwise.

The ongoing debacle with cohorts 4 and 7, the 1200 odd doses sent to a GP in Longford... These are not signs of success, nor is the speed of the rollout some kind of excuse for clear mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Hey guys, my dad is 62 and registered for his vaccine over the phone when it was the 62's turn to register. He hadn't heard anything since and rang up the HSE today to see and they told him for whatever reason he wasnt registered (probably a processing or typo error). Hes registered today but just wondering would he be expecting to wait weeks now again or should it be quick enough considering hes in the 60s group?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Hey guys, my dad is 62 and registered for his vaccine over the phone when it was the 62's turn to register. He hadn't heard anything since and rang up the HSE today to see and they told him for whatever reason he wasnt registered (probably a processing or typo error). Hes registered today but just wondering would he be expecting to wait weeks now again or should it be quick enough considering hes in the 60s group?

Depends where you are. But if you are in Dublin or Cork, my guess is that he will get called very quickly (matter of days).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Derkaiser93

revelman wrote: »
    Depends where you are. But if you are in Dublin or Cork, my guess is that he will get called very quickly (matter of days).

Yes, north Dublin. I hope so, thanks!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yes, north Dublin. I hope so, thanks!

Likely Helix so and they are really quick, hope he hears soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

CMO: "We've asked for advice in a context where all the over 50s have been vaccinated, what then should be the next set of priorities in respect of that particular [J&J] vaccine" (from ~2.05 onwards)

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1391744834583638020

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Are there many people getting vaccinated yet at Croke Park? No real mention of it but as an MVC it's slightly handier for me than the Helix. Curious as to which one I'll be sent to in June - same probably goes for a few other posts who live nearby in the Killester / Clontarf / D3/D5 area. No skin off my nose either way - I'll crawl there if I need to but still wondering.

ixoy wrote: »
    Are there many people getting vaccinated yet at Croke Park? No real mention of it but as an MVC it's slightly handier for me than the Helix. Curious as to which one I'll be sent to in June - same probably goes for a few other posts who live nearby in the Killester / Clontarf / D3/D5 area.

It's a smaller centre than the Helix (does less than 1,000 a day) but I don't know if capacity is staying as it is, or if they'll be ramping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

A lot of whataboutery there, some of these points basically assume that the HSE's method has to be the best by default and it's up to everyone else to prove otherwise.

The ongoing debacle with cohorts 4 and 7, the 1200 odd doses sent to a GP in Longford... These are not signs of success, nor is the speed of the rollout some kind of excuse for clear mistakes.

I had to deal with the HSE in my work for a few years and there is so much I could complain about that I was expecting really worse from them.

But in fairness the last few weeks the vaccination campaign has ramped up better than the EU average. The vaccines are massively going into the arms of people who are on the priority list. These are the signs and proof of success so far. It could get worse in the future depending on how the HSE manage to transition to the general public.

On 2millions doses and thousands of people involved you'll always find a nurse wasting a dose, a mistake in the shipping of one batch of doses, someone trying to put their friends on the priority list, a forgotten appointment or a technical glitch. It has to be taken care of and fixed if possible, but if it is <1% of the vaccination program I don't think you can link the general success of the program to them. You can observe the same happening in all the countries.

Mistakes do not prove that the process is wrong. It only shows that human being might sometimes fail to apply it. I just think it is easy to be in the comfort of our couch reading the news and pointing at every single mistake done by people who have been on the deck for months. But more important my point is that most people here have no idea how the program is run internally so "it should be possible to do better" is an easy statement to make. The whataboutery is assuming that there are probably resources that could send the appointments early, probably a way to have 0% of errors on the IT system sending the texts and probably a way of having 0% human mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

https://www.thejournal.ie/no-evidence-pfizer-vaccine-update-variants-5433235-May2021/

Not sure if posted already, maybe it has through indirect quotes, tweets, etc., but explicitly acknowledged here that Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine doesn't need updating against current variants (i.e. it works)

I know it's the Journal.ie :rolleyes:, but still good news.

Interesting that I was telling a GP that the HSE were doing a very good with the MVCs and they pointed out that the good work was primarily the GPs themselves who did a lot of the actual organisation with the HSE providing the vaccines and security.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting that I was telling a GP that the HSE were doing a very good with the MVCs and they pointed out that the good work was primarily the GPs themselves who did a lot of the actual organisation with the HSE providing the vaccines and security.
    You mean in the MVCs that were set up as a giant GP surgery and only with Groups 3-7? I'd be wary of anyone claiming they had a bigger part to play in this especially with only piece of the jigsaw in their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

He is talking about the over 70s where GPs referred patients but the people being vaccinated now register themselves so nothing to do with GPs.

is_that_so wrote: »
    You mean in the MVCs that were set up as a giant GP surgery and only with Groups 3-7? I'd be wary of anyone claiming they had a bigger part to play in this especially with only piece of the jigsaw in their hand.
    Specifically, the smooth operation of the MVCs such as the Helix.

Specifically, the smooth operation of the MVCs such as the Helix.
    Which is a giant GP surgery at present but good for them. Others run equally well without GPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel2021

Employers are making plans. My employer has allowed "reasonable time" to leave work for for vaccination once employees inform their supervisor at the earliest opportunity. They also will pay sick leave for a "reasonable period of time" following vaccination should people need - defined as up to 48 hours I believe. Employers should all be supported in making similar provision for their employees

A company a friend works for is giving everyone a day off if they get vaccinated to encourage uptake. It is only after the two doses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Have heard from a lot of 50 sommethings getting txt for vaccine, one 59 for tomorrow, one 57 and another aged 56 who is getting pfeizer in City West on Wed.

Have heard from a lot of 50 somethings getting txt for vaccine, one 59 for tomorrow, one 57 and another aged 56 who is getting Pfizer in City West on Wed.
    It does seem to be the bigger MVCs in urban areas that are flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The last few Thursday and Friday evenings the local Dr's have being vaccinating very random people from the area.
    Everyone is delighted to get the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Panrich wrote: »
    I personally know of one woman ( friend of my wife) who doesn't even use an inhaler and got the vaccine because she has very mild asthma. Meanwhile my wife who is on 6 puffs of 160mcg a day for prevention and as required besides doesn't qualify.

The criteria seems to be a mess and rife with potential for nepotism.

It was defined by the type and strength of your preventative and they changed it but it looks GPs are either applying it liberally or don't even care if you are cohort 7. Really frustrating as they had all of last year to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

is_that_so wrote: »

But they did enable the programme to get up and running quickly. They had the data and the alternative would have taken more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I’m male, 46 yrs old. I’m in cohort 7
    Got my first jab in St. Vincent’s today. Yipeeee!!!!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

My da got his second yesterday, and my ma got her first today.

Being away from home for so long has been tough, but knowing they are somewhat safe now, that has really helped my mental state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭JRant

hmmm wrote: »
    Well, seems like relatively rapid progress is being made designing a vaccine which will protect against any coronavirus. Important as they seem to be emerging quite regularly now.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03594-0

Fantastic news, now they just need to ban Gain of Function experiments.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I’m male, 46 yrs old. I’m in cohort 7
    Got my first jab in St. Vincent’s today. Yipeeee!!!!

Congrats

Was it through your GP or the hospital itself who contacted you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Congrats

Was it through your GP or the hospital itself who contacted you?

Hospital. Text on Friday for appointment today.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is it worth ringing HSE live or am I wasting my time? It appears my GP isn't referring asthmatics, while I know 3 people who are on the exact same meds as me who have been referred :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel2021

Is it worth ringing HSE live or am I wasting my time? It appears my GP isn't referring asthmatics, while I know 3 people who are on the exact same meds as me who have been referred :confused:

That is frustrating. Has your gp confirmed they arent referring asthmatics? Maybe they arent on cohort 7 yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement