Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Daniel2021 wrote: »
    That is frustrating. Has your gp confirmed they arent referring asthmatics? Maybe they arent on cohort 7 yet.
    I've spoken to him directly and he said they're only referring asthmatics who've been hospitalised. Should've rephrased and said he's not not sending asthmatics, just being incredibly picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Is it worth ringing HSE live or am I wasting my time? It appears my GP isn't referring asthmatics, while I know 3 people who are on the exact same meds as me who have been referred :confused:

A poster earlier today reported he rang the HSE and was told he had three choices
    Find another GP
    Wait for the clinic to decide if they are doing it
    Wait for his turn to register online

In other words we don’t care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Is it worth ringing HSE live or am I wasting my time? It appears my GP isn't referring asthmatics, while I know 3 people who are on the exact same meds as me who have been referred :confused:

If you find a way through, ACE, send me a PM and let me know, I'm in the exact same boat as you and it feels like I'm out of options.

If you find a way through, ACE, send me a PM and let me know, I'm in the exact same boat as you and it feels like I'm out of options.

You could both try your TD maybe ? Worth a shot ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

From what I've heard and read it's a waste of time. The HSE are referring people back to their GPs

I would ring your local HSE Primary Care and you'll get a better answer

As it stands, people answering the phone on HSE Live couldn't give a monkeys and are reading the answer to queries from the website and people can do that themselves ffs

I'd second emailing your Local TDs too. Starting with those in Opposition parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    A poster earlier today reported he rang the HSE and was told he had three choices
    Find another GP
    Wait for the clinic to decide if they are doing it
    Wait for his turn to register online

In other words we don’t care

How in gods name are you concluding "in other words we don't care"?

The poster outlined the problem. They provided possible solutions. Are they supposed to handhold the person to the vaccination clinic?

It's also a bit much to imply that a person doesn't care even if they don't offer a solution. They may still care just not have options available.

You could both try your TD maybe ? Worth a shot ?

That's sort of a last resort option. I'm hesitant to do anything that might damage my relationship with my GP because they have been very good to me over the years. I also think it's possible that they might not have got onto Cohort 7 yet. If it persists for another few weeks I might take that action though.

Turtwig wrote: »

The poster outlined the problem. They provided possible solutions. Are they supposed to handhold the person to the vaccination clinic?

It's also a bit much to imply that a person doesn't care even if they don't offer a solution. They may still care just not have options available.

They absolutely did not give a solution
    Find another GP ? Are they actually kidding ? Its like finding a needle in a haystack
    Wait for the clinic ? What clinic ? Many Cohort 7 dont attend clinics
    Wait for your turn online ? What if he is 20 years old ?

No they gave no workable solution at all they dont give a toss about cohort 7 as long as the vaccination numbers look good

I think he's referring to the institution of the HSE, not the individual speaking to him over the phone. He's insinuating that the HSE telling him to get in contact with his GP (redundant) or waiting until his age cohort (pointless) is amounting to cohort 7 being neglected.

They absolutely did not give a solution
    Find another GP ? Are they actually kidding ? Its like finding a needle in a haystack
    Wait for the clinic ? What clinic ? Many Cohort 7 dont attend clinics
    Wait for your turn online ? What if he is 20 years old ?

No they gave no workable solution at all

How does this show they don't care?

I agree the solution is not the most appropriate one btw. They should have been referred to the HSE Primary care.

It doesn't mean they didn't care.

• Advertisement

I think he's referring to the institution of the HSE, not the individual speaking to him over the phone. He's insinuating that the HSE telling him to get in contact with his GP (redundant) or waiting until his age cohort (pointless) is amounting to cohort 7 being neglected.

Exactly , no workable solution was offered
    ( ps . I am a she !!! )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

Advice to take your place in the queue is all well and good but there was other advice recently that AZ should not be given to this cohort.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gps-warned-of-significant-changes-to-vaccination-programme-1.4538270

Nothing on the website will identify these more vulnerable people and this increases their anxiety when offered a random vaccine that may not be suitable for their condition.

How does this show they don't care?

I agree the solution is not the most appropriate one btw. They should have been referred to the HSE Primary care.

It doesn't mean they didn't care.

They individual may care , the HSE and powers that be dont . Otherwise they would acknowledge this issue and sort it asap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I would have expected that anyone with any respiratory condition whatsoever would have been referred fairly promptly. It is a respiratory disease after all.

They individual may care , the HSE and powers that be dont . Otherwise they would acknowledge this issue and sort it asap

Is there a widespread issue? The cohort only officially began last week. Cohort 4, insert Cohort name here, all began slowly. The only Cohort that began at speed are the population age related ones. The rest are run in a parallel and are limited by demographics of the list the gp or hospital clinic they're being referred under. You cannot expect every age group or cohort to be done everywhere by every GP at the same time. Some GPs would have lots of over 70s. Some very little. Some would have been able to do Cohort4 with Cohort 7. If a GP is delayed for whatever reason in any of the over 70s or Cohort 4 they'll be slower in starting Cohort 7. This does mean that some in Cohort 7 will be done faster by virtue of their age. That was unavoidable from the start.

I've not seen anything yet to suggest Cohort 7 has a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there a widespread issue? The cohort only officially began last week. Cohort 4, insert Cohort name here, all began slowly. The only Cohort that began at speed are the population age related ones. The rest are run in a parallel and are limited by demographics of the list the gp or hospital clinic they're being referred under. You cannot expect every age group or cohort to be done everywhere by every GP at the same time. Some GPs would have lots of over 70s. Some very little. Some would have been able to do Cohort4 with Cohort 7. If a GP is delayed for whatever reason in any of the over 70s or Cohort 4 they'll be slower in starting Cohort 7. This does mean that some in Cohort 7 will be done faster by virtue of their age. That was unavoidable from the start.

200 out of 1200 GP practices are not participating at all in cohort 7 vaccination.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    200 out of 1200 GP practices are not participating at all in cohort 7 vaccination.

It has to be surely higher than that

It feels like at least half of them are bailing after Cohort 4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is a bit dismissive of the point being made. When so many people are facing this issue, it points to an issue of how the HSE have handled this aspect of the plan, whether through its design or allowing doctors to do what they want despite what was signed with doctors to provide the vaccines (with a healthy reimbursement too). Posters like yourself continue to reject any criticism of the handling of the rollout, even when presented with clear evidence of any systematic issue.

I posted repeatedly in early Jan that there was inadequate provision for leftover doses as part of the plan, and then in the time following that, the coombe "scandal" broke out, proving my point. The HSE only released operational guidance after this event happened. And just like then, there were people willing to defend these outcomes as though it's the best we can do. I understand that many want to criticise regards of circumstances, but surely legitimate criticism backed up by evidence should be acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Cohort 7 is due to start early May, it's still early May, so it hasn't exactly been forgotten about... Yet.
    However, as ACE pointed out, people who have certain conditions (without being treated by an outpatient clinic) and whose GP are not going to be doing cohort 7, seem to be left in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You're going to be told "nothing to see here" given the attitude of some folks here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    It has to be surely higher than that
    It feels like at least half of them are bailing after Cohort 4

That was the figure about two weeks ago... it may be higher now as you suggest. Its a mess.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I would have expected that anyone with any respiratory condition whatsoever would have been referred fairly promptly. It is a respiratory disease after all.

They need to fix this, a grand total of 8 people were vaccinated in Cohort 7 today

Meanwhile you can feel an atmosphere of "everything is back to normal so let's drop our guard" coming over the country

348,000 high risk people are supposed to do what in the middle of this?

Cocoon indefinitely until the shambles is sorted out?

This is more than reasonable.
    Intuitively you would assume that anyone with Asthma would be vulnerable to COVID. They are for influenza. However COVID is different. That's why the NHS stratified the risk for chronic respiratory diseases. Ireland basically copied that -actually most countries did. The cut-off apparently being that if you're not on oral steroids or biologics you're not in cohort 4 or cohort 7 unless there's another reason for the clinician to consider.

Having asthma alone doesn't prioritise the delay of a vaccine to an older age group. The older age demographic is considered the higher risk.

Ask people who are ringing GP and clinic and told the other is responsible
    These are high risk people who deserve better actually. Please try to feel a little empathy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I got my first vaccine 11 days ago and there is nothing wrong with me. My mother got hers today(over 60's) and my father who has respiratory issues did not get his yet and he is over 60 too.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Cohort 7 is due to start early May, it's still early May, so it hasn't exactly been forgotten about... Yet.
    However, as ACE pointed out, people who have certain conditions (without being treated by an outpatient clinic) and whose GP are not going to be doing cohort 7, seem to be left in limbo.

Yeah. The question will be how many of those certain conditions will be left in Limbo. I guess, what I'm getting at here badly. Is this issue affecting 1% of Cohort 7 or 80% of them ?

I'll fully admit asthmatics globally have been a raw deal. The guidance documents are vague as fck. Imo the GP should just prioritise all asthmatics rather than try to pin it out to the technical criteria as that's just time consuming and messy.

Ray Walley was asked about this at the NPHET briefing and said the GPs should inform the patients their practice won't facilitate them then the patient can request another GP to do it. He'd vaccinated some of these patients for other cohorts. They don't have to leave their GP's surgery as patients. He kind of dodged the question a bit. His answer seemed to imply the patients had to chase up on this themselves. Which imo is a bit of a mess of phone calls everywhere.
    All the while the HSE line is not to contact anyone. The patient will be contacted. Onus is on GPs to inform patients first.

Communication could definitely be clearer here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Absolutely flying through appointments in Sligo, one of my parents 58 year old neighbours got their first jab in the MVC today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Does anyone know at what point you find out what vaccine you're getting if you're attending MVC?

Are you told in advance by text or only on the day when you register in person?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It will be in the text.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

blobert wrote: »
    Does anyone know at what point you find out what vaccine you're getting if you're attending MVC?

Are you told in advance by text or only on the day when you register in person?

Thanks

My text said date , time , venue and vaccine AZ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement