Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Where did I say I wasn't? And it's the same thing - just semantics.

"A conditional marketing authorisation is one of EU’s regulatory mechanisms for facilitating early access to medicines that fulfil an unmet medical need, including in emergency situations such as the current pandemic".

They can get the vaccine, right?

Reading your post it's like a call not to get a vaccine so what else are people likely to infer from it?

No it's not, they don't actually do emergency approval, countries can if they choose. The UK for example took that risk both with vaccines and with intervals but it worked out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Sconsey wrote: »
    So there is already evidence of people suffering long term effects of Covid, there may be more problems in the future for people that contracted Covid. There are little to no known long term negative effects of the vaccines. Looks like you would rather take the risky route, under the mis-conception that is is less risky.

Emm....you know they've been around for less than a year, right! Long-term means years into the future.

Sconsey wrote: »
    You are focusing on (or rather imagining) the non-existent long term effects of vaccines and ignoring the actual long term effects of Covid.

And as others have mentioned, vaccination programs are not all about you, there is the wider benefit to society to consider.

Again, I think you might be misunderstanding what long-term means. It doesn't mean months but rather many years.

People who are young and healthy can fight it off, and older and more vulnerable people can be protected through vaccination, right? That might be simplistic but just asking the question.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Reading your post it's like a call not to get a vaccine so what else are people likely to infer from it?

No it's not, they don't actually do emergency approval, countries can if they choose. The UK for example took that risk both with vaccines and with intervals but it worked out for them.

Well, maybe don't infer at all and just have a discussion and look at it critically instead! That's the problem these days - asking questions automatically seems to become "oh you're doing X".

It is the same thing - approving a vaccine outside the normal protocols because of what is deemed to be an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Emm....you know they've been around for less than a year, right! Long-term means years into the future.

Again, I think you might be misunderstanding what long-term means. It doesn't mean months but rather many years.

People who are young and healthy can fight it off, and older and more vulnerable people can be protected through vaccination, right? That might be simplistic but just asking the question.

It is way too simplistic for many reasons....
    - what about the immuno compromised that coannot take the vaccine? fsck them right?
    - if you let it run rampant in people, then you are increasing the risk of more mutations
    - The risk/reward for vaccinations is weighted heavily in favour of vaccinalations for all

You are focusing on problems that are not there, you are imaginging possible problems in the future while underestimating the actual risk in front of your face.

Well, maybe don't infer at all and just have a discussion and look at it critically instead! That's the problem these days - asking questions automatically seems to become "oh you're doing X".
    A better written post would have helped everybody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

But, how many of the 159M cases of Covid globally have resulted in long Covid?

One in three have symptoms for more than 2 weeks

https://theconversation.com/how-many-people-get-long-covid-and-who-is-most-at-risk-154331

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

None of the vaccines have been formally approved by the FDA, EMA, etc - only for emergency usage. The technology has been under development for some time - hence the ultra-fast rollout - but it is still experimental.

If you are under 70 and / or in good health, you'll either have a mild case, not know you have it, or you might get a bad dose for a 2-3 weeks. Or you could end up in hospital (possible but unlikely though if you are healthy).

Then, you are immune as far as we can see - all with no vaccine that could have long term effects - nobody knows.

You are likely to just fight it off with no more than a few sniffles - or with zero symptoms - if you've had the flu before (which is most people I imagine). Covid and the flu are in the same family, and your immune system, T-cells, etc can recognise it and fight it off in the vast majority of cases.

Given all of this, is it worth taking something when you are a healthy person not in an older age group?

Here you are, in the middle of a global pandemic, encouraging people on a public forum not to take vaccines. I wonder do you ever take stock on how you got to this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,000 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks like 21,000 vaccines were given out on Sunday. Way more than I expected for a Sunday. That brings the total for the week to 243k.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Here you are, in the middle of a global pandemic, encouraging people on a public forum not to take vaccines. I wonder do you ever take stock on how you got to this point?

Point to where I'm doing that. I am asking questions. Again, this is the problem in society these days. Asking questions and questioning the mainstream narrative equates to something other than...asking questions and questioning the narrative!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Officially over the 500k mark for fully vaccinated .https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1392056898028032003?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Deleted - Read the article which had answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

Panrich wrote: »
    It’s not about jumping the queue.

The advice against giving AZ to cohort 7 is the problem. There’s no way to distinguish on the portal and people may end up with an unsuitable vaccine for their conditions simply based on age.
    It’s no good telling these people to take whatever they’ve been offered while that advice is out there.

It’s causing a lot of anxiety for many many people who are the in the most vulnerable unvaccinated group.

Just on this - is this the actual advice? I’m cohort 7 and 57 and expect to be called to the MVC this week as GP advised to register on the portal. My GP hasn’t even started cohort 4 yet and has said they won’t get to them for another couple of weeks. My husband, also cohort 7, got the text yesterday but as it was for AZ, he cancelled it and is holding out to see if he can get Pfizer from the GP sooner. I fully intended to just take the first thing I was offered, but after seeing your post I’m a bit concerned now.

Ok, thanks for the link. This isn't great:

According to a recent survey done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 35% of nonhospitalized patients who had mild COVID-19 cases did not return to baseline health 14 to 21 days after their symptoms started. And this wasn’t just in older people or people with underlying health conditions. Twenty percent of previously healthy 18-to-34-year-olds had ongoing symptoms. Overall, research shows as many as one-third of individuals who had COVID-19 and weren’t hospitalized will still be experiencing symptoms up to three months later.
    To put these numbers in context, only 10% of people who get the flu are still sick after 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭trellheim

New weekly high for Jabs 244,268 (week ending sunday gone ) , previous high 206583 (previous week ) so 20%+ increase

6oZ6K0l.png

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

4th week in a row we've beaten the previous week. Should make it 5 next week if we hit the stated target.

Well on target to get a million doses given for the month of May.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If we were to maintain this level of vaccinations, about 73% of the population would have their first dose by the end of June.

That "if" is doing a lot of heavy lifting, but I'd be very happy with that, in spite of the original goal of 82%. The reality is that we should be able to continue ramping up, so the 82% is still on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

seamus wrote: »
    If we were to maintain this level of vaccinations, about 73% of the population would have their first dose by the end of June.

That "if" is doing a lot of heavy lifting, but I'd be very happy with that, in spite of the original goal of 82%. The reality is that we should be able to continue ramping up, so the 82% is still on the table.

Did you take into account that even if we maintain this level of vaccination, the ratio between first doses and second doses will change in the next few weeks ?

We need to ramp up so that we can maintain the number of first doses given every week, while increasing the number of second doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

seamus wrote: »

After this week we will likely see a reduction until the end of May as we won't have a lot of AZ to use. We might not get much AZ or J&J until the end of the month, or the start of June. The first week of June will likely be our biggest week(doses to do about 500k - if we have people to take AZ/J&J) but then we will see a big drop off to about 300k doses a week until the end of June. We could see a further drop in July depending on the Q3 schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

robinbird wrote: »
    But is this not an argument for just getting rid of Cohort 7 and referring everyone based on age. All those undergoing clinical medical treatment of who are objectively clearly at risk have already been referred in the 260,000 cohort 4/7 referrals already done.

So if you take away the idea they are at additional and special risk and should be looking for cohort 7 referral then maybe you remove to an extent the anxiety and nervousness for these people. They would just have to accept that they will have to wait their turn.

This is such a frustrating and fúcked-up way of looking at what's going on. For instance, with diabetes - you could be considered as group 7 by a consultant because of your most recent blood test taken in October 2020, when they were active, eating more healthy, and got their best hbA1C result in years. Another might have their most recent test in January 2021, where it "makes them" cohort 4 because they decided to go on a bender over Christmas and then ate pizza every day after this prolonged lockdown started, having previously been very careful and successful in controlling diabetes.

Or you could be attending Tallaght, where they sent their entire list of diabetics as their cohort 4 and avoided the issue above.

Many public hospital consultants and departments have been allowed to do their own thing, with the result that genuinely needful and vulnerable people have not been offered an appointment yet. Quit with the hypochondriac talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This is such a frustrating and fúcked-up way of looking at what's going on. For instance, with diabetes - you could be considered as group 7 by a consultant because of your most recent blood test taken in October 2020, when they were active, eating more healthy, and got their best hbA1C result in years. Another might have their most recent test in January 2021, where it "makes them" cohort 4 because they decided to go on a bender over Christmas and then ate pizza every day after this prolonged lockdown started, having previously been very careful and successful in controlling diabetes.

Or you could be attending Tallaght, where they sent their entire list of diabetics as their cohort 4 and avoided the issue above.

Many public hospital consultants and departments have been allowed to do their own thing, with the result that genuinely needful and vulnerable people have not been offered an appointment yet. Quit with the hypochondriac talk.

Are you sure about Tallaght putting them all in cohort 4 ? And when you say "sent " where do they send the list ?

• Advertisement

eoinbn wrote: »
    After this week we will likely see a reduction until the end of May as we won't have a lot of AZ to use. We might not get much AZ or J&J until the end of the month, or the start of June. The first week of June will likely be our biggest week(doses to do about 500k - if we have people to take AZ/J&J) but then we will see a big drop off to about 300k doses a week until the end of June. We could see a further drop in July depending on the Q3 schedule.

Pfizer and Moderna, as well as AZ, are being given to people in their 50s registering on the portal. They're not being kept waiting for AZ or J&J. So there's no reason to think the current rates can't be maintained at the very least. In fact I'd only expect it to ramp up from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When I got the first one, Pfizer, 2 weeks ago, they didn’t give me an appointment straight away for the second one like I was expecting.
    Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Gael23 wrote: »
    When I got the first one, Pfizer, 2 weeks ago, they didn’t give me an appointment straight away for the second one like I was expecting.
    Is that normal?

Did you get it from your GP?
    I did and am due my 2nd dose this weekend. Just got a call in the last hour with my appointment time.
    I'd wait till the week of your 2nd dose but if you're concerned, just give them a call.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Are you sure about Tallaght putting them all in cohort 4 ? And when you say "sent " where do they send the list ?
    My sources are from hundreds of posts in Facebook groups. Even allowing for repeat posting. Posts from people pointing out their hbA1Cs were well below 58 but got an appointment in citywest anyway, zero posts for that hospital asking "when will I get my appointment" (in stark comparison to the Mater and St. James outpatients) along with posts on boards. One person also said they were told by the team in Tallaght that this is how they sent their referrals for vaccination.

I've less evidence for this bit but possibly Beaumont, Bantry and Galway University Hospital did the same. Meanwhile there's a lot of people attending the Mater and St. James who reported first vaccinations about 4 weeks later, universally with hbA1Cs >58, indicating that those hospitals slowly and manually curated their cohort 4 list. Some in those hospitals got their vaccine because of comorbidities that they'd attended another consultant for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bikeman1

53 year old guy I know has an appointment for his first vaccine on Thursday. From North County Dublin. They are flying through them it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

bikeman1 wrote: »
    53 year old guy I know has an appointment for his first vaccine on Thursday. From North County Dublin. They are flying through them it seems.

wow he would have only registered yesterday - 3 day turnaround!

eoinbn wrote: »
    There are only 165K of J&J due this month, subject to the effect of the US mess of course. l believe the HSE are expecting some of that batch from this week.

emrys wrote: »
    wow he would have only registered yesterday - 3 day turnaround!

The system accepts registrations in the age group for 50yr olds on the day it was only for 59yr olds
    Everyone is at it
    You just ignore the notice about todays age group

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Pfizer and Moderna, as well as AZ, are being given to people in their 50s registering on the portal. They're not being kept waiting for AZ or J&J. So there's no reason to think the current rates can't be maintained at the very least. In fact I'd only expect it to ramp up from here.

We got 165k doses of AZ recently. We will get some small deliveries from AZ over the next few weeks. So our doses received for the next few weeks will be less than they were last week.
    By the time that we do get the next big AZ delivery (late May, early June) then we might have nobody to give it to. So there might not be much left in the ramp up.

• Advertisement

The system accepts registrations in the age group for 50yr olds on the day it was only for 59yr olds
    Everyone is at it
    You just ignore the notice about todays age group
    But... But... ThE hsE's roLLouT iS PeRfekT?!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement