Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Was in Citywest today, had a short chat with one of the staff there and they told me that just over 3k doses were administered there yesterday. Place was full on the vaccination side and pleasantly few cars on the testing side.

But... But... ThE hsE's roLLouT iS PeRfekT?!?
    Its probably just bumping these up a forthnight in the queue
    All Astrazenica in Greystones so far I hear
    Long queues yesterday,taking an hour to reach a cubicle there
    So don't arrive 5 mins befire your appountment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

twiglet24 wrote: »
    Just on this - is this the actual advice? I’m cohort 7 and 57 and expect to be called to the MVC this week as GP advised to register on the portal. My GP hasn’t even started cohort 4 yet and has said they won’t get to them for another couple of weeks. My husband, also cohort 7, got the text yesterday but as it was for AZ, he cancelled it and is holding out to see if he can get Pfizer from the GP sooner. I fully intended to just take the first thing I was offered, but after seeing your post I’m a bit concerned now.

Sorry I didn’t want to alarm you but I got the information from here. I am in the same boat with my wife who has had to register via the portal. It’s really the lack of clarity that causes so much anxiety for people.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gps-warned-of-significant-changes-to-vaccination-programme-1.4538270

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

The system accepts registrations in the age group for 50yr olds on the day it was only for 59yr olds
    Everyone is at it
    You just ignore the notice about todays age group

Yes, I’m 54 and was able to register on the day 59 year olds were invited to complete registration

But... But... ThE hsE's roLLouT iS PeRfekT?!?

People are being asked to stagger registrations. It does not mean the system forces them to do so. Nor does the fact that the system acts this way say anything one way or another about the rollout.

But by all means continue the sniping

• Advertisement

If everyone arrives early the queues will just get earlier. If everyone arrives on time, everyone will have similar wait times.

Oh, and
    42c594705b5b803f4d223400e625f999.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

zebastein wrote: »
    Did you take into account that even if we maintain this level of vaccination, the ratio between first doses and second doses will change in the next few weeks ?

We need to ramp up so that we can maintain the number of first doses given every week, while increasing the number of second doses.
    We can only go at the pace governed by EU supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

jellybear wrote: »
    Did you get it from your GP?
    I did and am due my 2nd dose this weekend. Just got a call in the last hour with my appointment time.
    I'd wait till the week of your 2nd dose but if you're concerned, just give them a call.

Yes from my GP 2 weeks ago. So another 2 weeks until my next one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well that's the problem people arriving more than 5 minutes before the apointment....

Follow the instructions on the text, arrive when supposed to and the whole thing will run smoother

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes from my GP 2 weeks ago. So another 2 weeks until my next one

Personally, I'd just wait until the week of your vaccine. That's what I did and got my 2nd appointment today for Saturday :)
    I'm sure if you're worried, a quick call would put your mind at ease :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭trellheim

The only reason for registering ages by day was to avoid the Salesforce portal being swamped with several hundred thousand people (all the 50-60 year olds ) all trying to register Tuesday @0900 last week. This tactic looks like it has worked well , and rather than being derided, should be called out for some praise. They should now have a large holding tank of people ready to be called ( I hope so soon :) , I'm in this pile )

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not sure how up to date is the Irish data in the EU vaccine tracker, but this suggests we're down to the last 50k of AZ (Vaxzevria) but have loads of Pfizer (Comirnaty).

image.png

trellheim wrote: »
    The only reason for registering ages by day was to avoid the Salesforce portal being swamped with several hundred thousand people (all the 50-60 year olds ) all trying to register Tuesday @0900 last week. This tactic looks like it has worked well , and rather than being derided, should be called out for some praise. They should now have a large holding tank of people ready to be called ( I hope so soon :) , I'm in this pile )

Exaclty this, the registration process is very smooth, has been run well and the staggered approach is meaning if there's a wait time to get onto the portal its generally only a few minutes.

It's funny how some people think that by registering early their beating the system somehow and showing its flaws, at the end of the day its not going to get them seen any earlier.

Well that's the problem people arriving more than 5 minutes before the apointment....

Follow the instructions on the text, arrive when supposed to and the whole thing will run smoother

Thats impossible there at the moment by the looks of things
    They're also working off paper print outs of the appointment list,manually going down the list to get your name,which is taking time

Thats impossible there at the moment by the looks of things
    They're also working off paper print outs of the appointment list,manually going down the list to get your name,which is taking time

I've been down there last week, there was no queue and a steady stream in and out. My father was in and out in about 20 minutes.

It really depends on the day and people arriving on time

Greystones was / is very well run from what I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭km79

I wonder will they open up to 49-40 this time next week .....

I've been down there last week, there was no queue and a steady stream in and out. My father was in and out in about 20 minutes.

It really depends on the day and people arriving on time

Greystones was / is very well run from what I've seen

Yesterday the queue took from 225 to 330pm to snake along
    55 mins
    It was very very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Have the Hse changed the way they are processing through registrations at the mass vaccination centres ? A week ago the policy was that appointments would be assigned by age regardless of when people registered, hence no advantage in registering before the requested date, but several posters here in their early 50s have already received either an appointment or their vaccine. So either they are assigning appointments out of age sequence, or some centres are already within a few days of completing the 50-59 age cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

km79 wrote: »

I was just going to ask this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

heyjude wrote: »
    Have the Hse changed the way they are processing through registrations at the mass vaccination centres ? A week ago the policy was that appointments would be assigned by age regardless of when people registered, hence no advantage in registering before the requested date, but several posters here in their early 50s have already received either an appointment or their vaccine. So either they are assigning appointments out of age sequence, or some centres are already within a few days of completing the 50-59 age cohort.
    It seems to depend on where you are, local demographics and to a smaller extent what GPs are up to, with mRNA vaccines. The four main Dublin ones for example can do at least 12K a day at full speed, Cork too seems to be flying whereas if you're in the midlands or the northeast it could be a lot slower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

heyjude wrote: »
    , or some centres are already within a few days of completing the 50-59 age cohort.

I think its this, if you think of that age group a large amount were likely cohort 4 so may already be done. Bigger MVC seem to be romping through and again would depend on the local demographic, some areas older/younger than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

km79 wrote: »
    Or the beginning of the week after. Still 3 years of the 50s to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

So with 50 year olds open to register on Thurs 13th, anyone want to guess what day it will open for 49 year olds?

Going to guess Friday the 21st so they get the 40s registered before end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Am I the only one who finds it odd that HSE are deliberately misleading people about the the Pfizer vaccine?

"How long it takes to work
    It takes 7 days after the 2nd dose for the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to work. This is when you are fully vaccinated"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

But, how many of the 159M cases of Covid globally have resulted in long Covid?

Statistically 5%

I'll let you do the Maths

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭demello

None of the vaccines have been formally approved by the FDA, EMA, etc - only for emergency usage. The technology has been under development for some time - hence the ultra-fast rollout - but it is still experimental.

If you are under 70 and / or in good health, you'll either have a mild case, not know you have it, or you might get a bad dose for a 2-3 weeks. Or you could end up in hospital (possible but unlikely though if you are healthy).

Then, you are immune as far as we can see - all with no vaccine that could have long term effects - nobody knows.

You are likely to just fight it off with no more than a few sniffles - or with zero symptoms - if you've had the flu before (which is most people I imagine). Covid and the flu are in the same family, and your immune system, T-cells, etc can recognise it and fight it off in the vast majority of cases.

Given all of this, is it worth taking something when you are a healthy person not in an older age group?

The RNA vaccine technology may be new, although it has been used in previous human trials, but the AZ and J+J vaccine technology is not new. The first human trial of this technology took place 31 years ago! Also, an Ebola vaccine based on the same technology was approved by the US and EU in 2019, and has been used extensively. It is wrong to state that this technology is experimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Bambi wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds it odd that HSE are deliberately misleading people about the the Pfizer vaccine?

"How long it takes to work
    It takes 7 days after the 2nd dose for the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to work. This is when you are fully vaccinated"

I think your take on it is odd to be honest....
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/second-shot.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

TheDoctor wrote: »
    So with 50 year olds open to register on Thurs 13th, anyone want to guess what day it will open for 49 year olds?

Going to guess Friday the 21st so they get the 40s registered before end of May.

I think it will be sooner, but who knows. Might depend on whether they decide to space out the Pfizer doses to 6 weeks.
    I'd say Monday or Tuesday of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Russman wrote: »
    I think it will be sooner, but who knows. Might depend on whether they decide to space out the Pfizer doses to 6 weeks.
    I'd say Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I really am hoping that you are right Russman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement