Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

50+ cohort 7, just had my 1st vaccine (Pfizer) via my GP.

Very efficient, queuing outdoors on the pavement on a nice day, vaccination in a gazebo outside with one person sat in each corner.

3 of us rolled our sleeves up in an instant, whilst the 4th took off his jacket, then tie, then cufflinks, then unbuttoned his long sleeved shirt to take that off. Common sense ain't that common eh?

I'm very grateful, and can't wait to get us to 80% of the population ASAP.

Edit to add - oh i forgot to type, he had a jumper to remove as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

TheDoctor wrote: »
    So with 50 year olds open to register on Thurs 13th, anyone want to guess what day it will open for 49 year olds?

Going to guess Friday the 21st so they get the 40s registered before end of May.

I have 2 family members, one 61 years old and one 59 years old. In my local centre the 62 year old got dose 1 last Wednesday and the 59 year old got dose 1 on Monday so that's roughly 2 years (in age) getting vaccinated every 5 days

By that logic the over...

50s will have dose 1 by the 1st of June
    40s will have dose 1 by the 26th of June
    30s will have dose 1 by the 21st of July
    20s will have dose 1 by the 15th of August

Obviously there are other factors to consider such as the J&J vaccine which is a single dose and as you move down the age groups vaccine hesitancy becomes more of an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I am kind of stuck in the middle , 49 and type 2, waiting for the Doc to call me.

Yet the wife is 53, and has already registered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I have 2 family members, one 61 years old and one 59 years old. In my local centre the 62 year old got dose 1 last Wednesday and the 59 year old got dose 1 on Monday so that's roughly 2 years (in age) getting vaccinated every 5 days

Obviously there are other factors to consider such as the J&J vaccine which is a single dose and as you move down the age groups vaccine hesitancy becomes more of an issue

Not to forget the increased supply of all vaccines as we head into June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I really am hoping that you are right Russman

I'm often wrong !!:)

In an ideal world, they open to the 40s immediately after the 50s, so this coming Friday, then I register on Sunday as a 47 y/o, get a text on Tuesday for the jab next Friday in Citywest. We can but dream eh :D:D

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »

In an ideal world, they open to the 40s immediately after the 50s, so this coming Friday, then I register on Sunday as a 47 y/o, get a text on Tuesday for the jab next Friday in Citywest. We can but dream eh :D:D

I sense we are getting giddy with the thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Gael23 wrote: »
    When I got the first one, Pfizer, 2 weeks ago, they didn’t give me an appointment straight away for the second one like I was expecting.
    Is that normal?

Got my first Pfizer at GP last Monday week,,got date and time of next appointment on a card from GP whilst I was waiting

Apogee wrote: »

There's an obvious issue there, if you are 36 weeks pregnant and get one of the mRNA vaccines you have to come back at week 40... I'm picturing midwives administering dose 2 during labour

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

Zipppy wrote: »
    Got my first Pfizer at GP last Monday week,,got date and time of next appointment on a card from GP whilst I was waiting
    Just curious - what was your qualifying criteria to get pfizer? Is that your age or any medical condition? Also does every GP have pfizer stock? my GP says they don't have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

robinbird wrote: »
    All the worked up mild asthmatics need to stop with the righteous indignation.
    Using an inhaler you bought in a shop does not entitle you to jump the queue.

You quoted no less than 9 posters in this saying it was "righteous indignation" by "worked up mild asthmatics"

Here's what's in Cohort 7
    Cancer

Chronic heart (and vascular) disease

Chronic kidney disease

Chronic liver disease

Chronic neurological disease or condition

Chronic respiratory disease

Diabetes

Immunocompromised

Inherited metabolic diseases

Intellectual disability

Obesity (BMI >35 Kg/m2.)

Severe mental illness

Source: gov.ie

It takes a "special" kind of person to come to the conclusions you did

1huge1 wrote: »
    Not to forget the increased supply of all vaccines as we head into June.

I wouldn't count on that from the experience so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sconsey wrote: »
    I think your take on it is odd to be honest....
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/second-shot.html

First paragraph, first sentence "If you receive a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, you will need 2 shots to get the most protection"

I think your reading comprehension is a bit odd :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Do we know what ages the various Dublin MVC are hitting at present t?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Russman wrote: »

I think it will be pretty quick too. We know some of the MVCs are vaccinating the over 50s within a few days of registering so if they keep that up they are going to need the over 40s queuing up soon. Here's hoping anyway - I'm in that age group too

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭eoinbn

There is a lot of flawed logic in that.

Not all over 60s are done.
    Not all age groups are the same size - they keep getting bigger until the 20s.

Your end result for 50s and 40s probably isn't that far off. It could take longer for the 30s and 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Sconsey

What you said....
    Bambi wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds it odd that HSE are deliberately misleading people about the the Pfizer vaccine?

"How long it takes to work
    It takes 7 days after the 2nd dose for the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to work. This is when you are fully vaccinated"
    Bambi wrote: »
    First paragraph, first sentence "If you receive a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, you will need 2 shots to get the most protection"

I think your reading comprehension is a bit odd :o

What the article says:
    People are considered fully vaccinated: 2 weeks after their second shot in a 2-dose series, like the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines,

Please explain how you think HSE are deliberately misleading people? They are repeating the best available information. I think you are the one that needs to go back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Any 60 year olds here in the P51 Eircode area covered by Mallow MVC ? Have you had an appointment yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Sconesy - the statement that it takes until two weeks after the second dose of Biontech for the vaccine to work is misinformation. It is wrong. The vaccine is already very effective from 3 weeks after the 1st dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Surely it'll be a bit sooner than that if they aim to have 80% of over 18's with a first dose by the 30th of June?

Even as it stands I see we have 450,000 doses in the country in storage for distribution at the minute, should allow for further acceleration this week of the vaccine program and it'll only get quicker as the month goes on and as we get into June.

450k doses source: https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/vaccines/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭josip

JPup wrote: »
    Sconesy - the statement that it takes until two weeks after the second dose of Biontech for the vaccine to work is misinformation. It is wrong. The vaccine is already very effective from 3 weeks after the 1st dose.

Which makes one wonder, why have the EU adopted the most stringent of criteria for their Covid Cert?
    Would it really have made much difference if they'd chosen 2/3 weeks after 1st dose for all vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Isn't it amazing in the act of trying to seem clever, that complete lack of anything but superficial knowledge is exposed.

Adenovirus vaccines are as new as mRNA. And that's the least of the issues in the post

I'm not claiming to have more than superficial knowledge. You mustn't have understood my post though I'm afraid. I never said adenovirus vaccines weren't new, I was saying the associated methods / technology are established.

Feel free to highlight the other "issues". You won't be able to answer or address any of them I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

This is up there with the rest of the nonsense you've posted on this thread today but probably top of the pile.

I honestly don't know where to start with this so won't even bother.

Utter ramblings

Care to address what you feel is nonsense? I'm sure it's easier for you to just write it all off though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I wouldn't count on that from the experience so far this year

The supply has not come on stream as fast as we had hoped no doubt, but it has certainly increased significantly over the past few weeks. I don't see why the basis for your forecast would assume we stay at the most recent vaccination rate when all signs are pointing to further increased supply.

Don't get me wrong, its a very interesting analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Can anyone point me in the direction of the stats for J and J's efficacy against the UK variant?

Thanks

Cole wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the stats for J and J's efficacy against the UK variant?

Thanks

Isnt it the dominant strain in the U.S so 72% overall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Isnt it the dominant strain in the U.S so 72% overall ?

Don't think that was the case during the trials. From what I've read Jannsen is only slightly less effective against the B.1.1.7. variant than the classic variant.

There's this EMA assessment report from 11 March 2021

Assessment report
    COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen
    Procedure No. EMEA/H/C/005737/0000
    https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/assessment-report/covid-19-vaccine-janssen-epar-public-assessment-report_en.pdf

...but I am woefully unqualified to interpret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't think that was the case during the trials. From what I've read Jannsen is only slightly less effective against the B.1.1.7. variant than the classic variant.

Assessment report
    COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen
    https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/assessment-report/covid-19-vaccine-janssen-epar-public-assessment-report_en.pdf

I saw that and am even less qualified to read it! OP, see the realworld efficacy paper too although it also has no data specifically on B.1.1.7
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.27.21256193v1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Lumen wrote: »

Assessment report
    COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen

Same here. The only thing I can take from it is...

"Preliminary data showed that neutralising antibodies elicited by Ad26.COV2.S were able to neutralise the B.1.1.7 lineage variant in vitro, although less efficiently than the reference strain. Thus, some protection against this variant too is anticipated"

"Anticipated" is what stood out there. I'm guessing there's been something a bit more definitive reported since this and since its roll out in the US, where the UK variant is the dominant one now I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭scooby77

I had read that a move to extend 2nd dose of Pfizer to 6 weeks ( or longer) was up for discussion at today's cabinet. Cant find any updates...anyone any insight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement