Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Strazdas wrote: »
    You text back the word 'New' and then they'll send you out a new appointment date.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Strazdas wrote: »
    You text back the word 'New' and then they'll send you out a new appointment date.

Like spinning the wheel. You never know what you might get second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

I think it's really important to have a plan for the j&j. My preference is an opt in system and I think there would be plenty of takers. I am not totally against the current proposal to delay the over 40s, but they would want to be very confident in supplies. If the June shipment was delayed and the over 40s were still unvaccinated in July and then perhaps needing 2 shots of an alternative, and not vaccinated till August - well it wouldn't be great. It's the same argument that happened with the over 50s but the relative delay is smaller. Of course the relative risk of clots is higher, although still very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I seem to have missed this idea of delaying the 45-49 Age Group. And only using J&J on this Group.
    Husband and I fall into this Category.

I thought that *if* NIAC approved J&J (and AZ) for under 50s, then all 4 approved Vaccines would be used - same as 50+.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I seem to have missed this idea of delaying the 45-49 Age Group. And only using J&J on this Group.

I thought that *if* NIAC approved J&J for under 50s, then all 4 Vaccines would be used - same as 50+.

I'm in that group too, and would like the jab as soon as possible so hopefully they will still be using the others too. I think it's just speculation at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Seems that Group 4/7 issue may be a wrong category for some.
    The HSE also said it appeared likely that some people in Group 7 may have been categorised incorrectly in the computer system as being in Group 4 when they got their first dose.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0512/1221083-virus-vaccine-rollout/

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

SusanC10 wrote: »

I thought that *if* NIAC approved J&J (and AZ) for under 50s, then all 4 approved Vaccines would be used - same as 50+.

You missed it because someone here made it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

finally I got to register this morning (51) the waiting game begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Russman

SJFly wrote: »
    I'm in that group too, and would like the jab as soon as possible so hopefully they will still be using the others too. I think it's just speculation at this stage.

I think this is the case alright, pure speculation. Why would it be ok to delay the 45-49s but not the 50s by a couple of weeks ?

Worst thing the government ever did was mention the 82% by end of June target, with uncertain deliveries and contingencies. Sheer stupidity.
    Even at that, all they had to say was "due to the unanticipated safety signals around AZ & J&J, the original target might not be met as planned".

This line that they're spouting of "we have to use J&J because we'll have loads of it" is almost like an obese person deciding not to give up chocolate just yet because he has a stash left over from Christmas that he can't throw out.

PS I may be in a ratty humour this morning so venting a little ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 iheartpooner

My scientifically bankrupt idea for J&J: Give them to pharmacies and allow people who have positive antibody tests performed by that pharmacy to receive the shot if they choose. I’ll take my consultancy fee whenever it suits...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

I would have no objection if our excess J&J vaccines were sent to countries where the virus is running riot. Most of these countries are poverty stricken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

muckisluck wrote: »
    I would have no objection if our excess J&J vaccines were sent to countries where the virus is running riot. Most of these countries are poverty stricken.

I think we should fit our own oxygen mask first, before assisting others, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

My scientifically bankrupt idea for J&J: Give them to pharmacies and allow people who have positive antibody tests performed by that pharmacy to receive the shot if they choose. I’ll take my consultancy fee whenever it suits...

Who is going to pay for the antibody test and why would they need one anyway? Just give J&J to them full stop and if NIAC don't allow a drop in age then have a waiver system set up. Anything else is adding layers of complexity which aren't required.

Regarding the 82% target, the vast majority of the population would understand if we only hit 70% due to age restrictions that weren't foreseen when that target was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Sky King wrote: »
    I think we should fit our own oxygen mask first, before assisting others, so to speak.

Note the use of the word "excess' in my suggestion. Would you prefer we kept them in storage- just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

If J&J is restricted as it currently is in Ireland, id imagine this will happen. Unless it has to go back into the EU pot contractually for whatever reason

Note the use of the word "excess' in my suggestion. Would you prefer we kept them in storage- just in case?

I am not aware of any excess vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I don’t think anyone would, but we have a shortage of vaccines in Ireland. NIAC have blocked unvaccinated people from getting a perfectly safe vaccine, they prefer extending lockdown rather than vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Over 10,000 50-60 done on Monday per the latest HSE report, that’s a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Registered this morning, expecting it won't be long before I have the invite for the jab... shame it's not J&J as that would mean I would be in the clear soon... rather than the 12 week wait for the second dose. Hopefully restrictions will ease overall allowing us to travel anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

They haven't defined Cohort 9 and I don't think the previous definition of Cohort 9 will work as there's crossover with current cohorts. Presumably it is everybody aged 16-59?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

They haven't defined Cohort 9 and I don't think the previous definition of Cohort 9 will work as there's crossover with current cohorts. Presumably it is everybody aged 16-59?

I assume so too, for reporting I think it would be better to make cohort 9 50-59, cohort 10 40-49 etc.

Cohort 6, the 1000 people needed for vaccination must be a non runner at this stage?

Sky King wrote: »

Doesn't make any sense. That analogy is about having the ability to save others, and Ireland is saving no one.

Your country is richer so can afford more vaccines at the start. That's about it. You personally have done nada in your life to deserve a vaccine so early.

Registered this morning, expecting it won't be long before I have the invite for the jab... shame it's not J&J as that would mean I would be in the clear soon... rather than the 12 week wait for the second dose. Hopefully restrictions will ease overall allowing us to travel anyway..

If you're offered pfizer or moderna,it will be just 4 weeks
    I notice they've changed the mobile number that sends verifications from a UK one to an Irish one

Ireland is saving no one....Your country is richer so can afford more vaccines at the start. That's about it. .

Where does the aid for developing countries come from?

Are rich countries in a position to provide aid to others if their economies are crippled due to widespread virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭rameire

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I notice there is a correction to numbers in Cohort 1 and to the Non coded cohort.
    And the Cohort 4 correction has not occurred as of yet.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Russman

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone would, but we have a shortage of vaccines in Ireland. NIAC have blocked unvaccinated people from getting a perfectly safe vaccine, they prefer extending lockdown rather than vaccination.

If it’s perfectly safe why are some countries putting in restrictions on its use or deciding not to use it at all ? I agree the risk is very small and if NIAC decide it’s safe, then fantastic, but you can’t have joe bloggs on the internet deciding the medical experts are wrong because he’s in a rush to get his jab.

Nobody anywhere prefers to extend lockdown, that’s “restrictions thread” logic, and lockdown won’t be extended at this stage because a huge chunk of the vulnerable are vaccinated and hopefully we’ll be able to keep vaccinating ahead of any rise in cases and hospitalisations. Delaying younger cohorts by a few weeks won’t extend lockdown.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Must be the highest Monday by a distance.

We only have to match last weeks numbers for the rest of the week to hit this weeks target. Wonder can we break our stated target for the 3rd week in a row?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Brilliant, thats c. 261k done in 7 days!. First time we've gone above 250k in a 7 day period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Must be the highest Monday by a distance.

We only have to match last weeks numbers for the rest of the week to hit this weeks target. Wonder can we break our stated target for the 3rd week in a row?

70% increase from previous highest Monday. 19881 26th April.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement