Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

If you're offered pfizer or moderna,it will be just 4 weeks
    I notice they've changed the mobile number that sends verifications from a UK one to an Irish one

Yes I am hoping for one of these as I believe this will allow me to travel easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Registered this morning, expecting it won't be long before I have the invite for the jab... shame it's not J&J as that would mean I would be in the clear soon... rather than the 12 week wait for the second dose. Hopefully restrictions will ease overall allowing us to travel anyway..

You may not necessarily be offered AZ. My dad registered last week and is getting Pfizer, he's in his fifties. 4 week gap :)

Sky King wrote: »
    Where does the aid for developing countries come from?

Are rich countries in a position to provide aid to others if their economies are crippled due to widespread virus?

To say excess vaccines shouldn't be given to countries that need them because you should get your own oxygen mask on first is vile. Ireland is on the way out of this shortly while most of the world has barely any.

The rest of the world will be buying the vaccines when the West are vaccinated. Covax is barely aid. It's freeing up some vaccines that rich countries have paid big premiums for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The over 70s are basically done now so Pfizer is available for all once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

robinbird wrote: »
    Like spinning the wheel. You never know what you might get second time.

Do you mean if you don't accept the first vaccine date, you won't know how long it could be before you get another date, or that you could get a different vaccine?

I'd have thought once a vaccine is allocated for you, the appointment changes are just dates and times. But could be wrong, interesting to hear if anyone experienced this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Russman wrote: »
    If it’s perfectly safe why are some countries putting in restrictions on its use or deciding not to use it at all ?

Why did South Africa give away AZ vaccines? I’ve no idea makes no sense....., almost all countries receiving J&J have no restrictions, those that do are in the minority.

I’m not deciding if it’s safe, the EMA and FDA have monitored extensive trials and deemed it safe, they have been consistent and accurate from the start, I place my trust in the EMA not the political appointees in NIAC

The fact NIAC moved AZ restrictions several times, shows a lack of competence at the heart of the quango.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

To say excess vaccines shouldn't be given to countries that need them because you should get your own oxygen mask on first is vile.

I think we need to get our economy open first and then we can start to help others. Helping others goes beyond Covax, it's also foreign aid generally. We are in a much better position to do this with an open and functioning economy.

I am not opposed to giving away excess vaccines by the way, but as I mentioned in a previous post we do not have any excess vaccines.

You may think we should wait and give away a lot of our vaccines before using them at the expense of opening up our economy early, I think you will find your viewpoint to be in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

To say excess vaccines shouldn't be given to countries that need them because you should get your own oxygen mask on first is vile. Ireland is on the way out of this shortly while most of the world has barely any.

The rest of the world will be buying the vaccines when the West are vaccinated. Covax is barely aid. It's freeing up some vaccines that rich countries have paid big premiums for.

Honestly, this is the way the world works. It is vile, but it is no different to before Covid.

We don't open our borders to every immigrant, because we want to protect our relatively rich economy. We don't make laws to say companies must pay factory workers in third world countries a minimum wage because we like buying cheap things. First world countries vaccinating their own first is no different.

You might say that we are shooting ourselves in the foot, because if covid gets out of control in somewhere like Nigeria or Kenya, and then mutates into something that is vaccine resistant, well I guess we are willing to take that chance in order to have our economies return to some kind of normal this year.

The only real way out of this for third world countries is waiving the IP rights of pharma companies on how they have produced the vaccine. That way third world countries can start producing their own generic vaccines. I can actually see this happening but only because of the risk of vaccine resistant mutations, not out of any concern for covid running rampant in a third world country.

At least you admit it's vile. India crying out for oxygen and a poster says Ireland should get its masks on first.

A cousin told me yesterday that she had her AZ vaccine in City West, but that similarity my situation in Aviva, she was standing 1 hour 46 minutes, and much of it in the rain and wind. Seems to be quite a matter of long queues at times. Somebody became unwell in her queue probably due to low blood pressure and she doesn't know whether they were able to get the vaccine.

• Advertisement

At least you admit it's vile. India crying out for oxygen and a poster says Ireland should get its masks on first.

You are right about the choice of analogy - that probably was in bad taste. It actually wasn't intentional.

I stand by eliminating Covid and opening our economy here first though, and I believe most citizens of Ireland, indeed the EU would agree with this approach.

Is your idea to give our vaccines to India?

You are right about the choice of analogy - that probably was in bad taste. It actually wasn't intentional.

I stand by eliminating Covid and opening our economy here first though, and I believe most citizens of Ireland, indeed the EU would agree with this approach.

Of more than 1 billion Covid-19 vaccine doses administered globally so far, 82 percent have been in high or upper middle-income countries, while just 0.3 percent have been administered in low-income countries, the WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said on April 29.

You might think that opening up the Irish economy is super-duper important for helping these low-income countries, but I think they need more than 0.3% of vaccines fifteen months after this all started.

It is actually remarkable to me that you believe Ireland getting it's economy opened is important for these countries. Just be honest and admit it's rich people getting their own supply first.

If they are vaccines that we can't use because of the age restriction, then why shouldn't we send them to India?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Ontario province in Canada has stopped giving AZ to 'anyone'!!

Previously it was for 40 to 65 year olds...before that only 55 to 65 year olds...

Apparently there's been a rise in reporting of blood clots...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Of more than 1 billion Covid-19 vaccine doses administered globally so far, 82 percent have been in high or upper middle-income countries, while just 0.3 percent have been administered in low-income countries, the WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said on April 29.

You might think that opening up the Irish economy is super-duper important for helping these low-income countries, but I think they need more than 0.3% of vaccines fifteen months after this all started.

It is actually remarkable to me that you believe Ireland getting it's economy opened is important for these countries. Just be honest and admit it's rich people getting their own supply first.

That number can't be right. India alone have vaccinated 175 million people. 17% of all vaccines have been administered in India. Unless they are not counting India as a low income country? China, India and Brazil make up 3 of the top 5 countries with vaccines used. You'd swear the West was hoarding everything by your post.

The truth is though, that this inst over until the rest of the world gets vaccine access. We will always be looking over our shoulder when there is a large viral reservoir in large parts of the globe

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

They haven't defined Cohort 9 and I don't think the previous definition of Cohort 9 will work as there's crossover with current cohorts. Presumably it is everybody aged 16-59?

I presume its the 50-59 group?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Just be honest and admit it's rich people getting their own supply first.
    Bit off-topic, no? The other person already stated that it was out of self-interest that we vaccinate ourselves first. Then reinforced that with the argument that our functioning economy greatly helps foreign aid (and perhaps moreso than one running a deficit for longer).

Ireland and other developed countries have responded to India's plight with oxygen-generating equipment and ventilators, and I'm sure vaccines will follow in the summer from the EU. More questionable is the fact that the UK imported vaccines from India and did not send any back, and they the formal colonial power with ambitions to be a global power again.

I think they need more than 0.3% of vaccines fifteen months after this all started.... Just be honest and admit it's rich people getting their own supply first.

I am not sure where I haven't been honest.

I am curious as to what you think should Ireland do differently?

If they are vaccines that we can't use because of the age restriction, then why shouldn't we send them to India?
    I agree.

Zipppy wrote: »
    Ontario province in Canada has stopped giving AZ to 'anyone'!!

Previously it was for 40 to 65 year olds...before that only 55 to 65 year olds...

Apparently there's been a rise in reporting of blood clots...

Slovakia have also suspended it following the death of a 47 year old woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Flying Fox wrote: »

""Effective today, Ontario will be pausing the rollout and administration of first doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine at this time," Williams told reporters on Tuesday.

Williams said the decision was made out of an abundance of caution. The blood clotting syndrome, while rare, can be fatal.

According to the Ontario health ministry, as of May 8, more than 853,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were administered with a rate of VITT of roughly 1 per 100,000 doses administered.

The ministry said there have been increased reports of VITT, with a rate of 1.7 per 100,000 doses administered, over the last few days.

Williams said the Ontario government is reviewing the data to consider whether to use AstraZeneca for second doses and is preparing guidance for people who received AstraZeneca as a first dose.

Williams said the decision to pause the use of AstraZeneca is also based on an increased supply of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines and a downward trend in COVID-19 cases. The province has asked the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) to provide direction on the mixing and matching of different brands of vaccine for first and second doses.

"The National Advisory Committee on Immunization says people at low risk of COVID-19 should wait until they can get a dose from Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna.

Dr. Andrew Morris, an infectious diseases physician and director of the antimicrobial stewardship program at Sinai Health in Toronto, said given what we now know of the risk of VITT combined with greater supply of Pfizer and Moderna, and lower incidence of COVID-19 in most of Canada, the benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine no longer outweigh the risks in most of Canada.

He said if COVID-19 hot spots in places like Toronto, Brampton, Winnipeg, and much of Alberta can't get enough doses of Pfizer or Moderna, then AstraZeneca still is a good choice there.

"Everywhere else, it no longer makes sense based on what we know, to give AZ vaccine," he said on Twitter."

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Flying Fox wrote: »

The more Pfizer/Moderna/J&J vials the countries receive , the more freedom they have to take this kind of decisions, as the impact of the suspension on the overall vaccination campaign is reduced now compared to the same decision take 1/2months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

1huge1 wrote: »
    Brilliant, thats c. 261k done in 7 days!. First time we've gone above 250k in a 7 day period.

That is more people vaccinated in the last 7 days than the total number of confirmed Covid cases since the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

FreeGaf wrote: »
    Im 48 years old and it will be a big no from me if offered AZ. I'll wait it out a few more weeks now until i have a choice.

For quite possibly the hundredth time on this thread (between all the various posters saying it), there isn't & won't be a choice anytime soon.

Anyway your u50 so won't be offered it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

India refusing aid from Pakistan (Specifically oxygen btw. I know they hate each other, but it is not in Pakistan's interest for India to collapse due to covid, hence offering aid), and also refusing to allow aid from Pakistan administered Kashmir to Indian administered Kashmir (which is criminal btw).

India isn't so desperate for oxygen as they are fine to refuse from Pakistan to save face and not to mention potential crimes against humanity for refusing aid to India administered Kashmir. I see no reason we need to make up for bad decision from foreign governments. What are we suppose to do? Force them to engage in common sense? The aid that was sent was sitting at an airport in India for a week at least, not even sure if it was distributed to those in need or sold to the highest bidder.

The world sent India millions in Covid aid. Why is it not reaching those who need it most?

Any vaccines would likely be given to the rich, and they are charging for vaccine in India for some idiot reason as well. I don't see how we can help countries insisting on being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The risk of veinous thrombosis after a long-haul flight is approximately 1 in 5000.

The risk of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis or splanchnic vein thrombosis from the AZ vaccine is approximately 1 in 150,000, and that's including all the people who would have got it anyway.

So crudely, the worst case is that a single long haul flight is about as risky as being vaccinated 30 times with AZ. There's also well known radiation risks from long haul flights.

Yet I have never met anyone who avoids long haul flights because of the health risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Where did i say anytime soon?

Right here, "a few more weeks"
    Im 48 years old and it will be a big no from me if offered AZ. I'll wait it out a few more weeks now until i have a choice.

Like I said your under 50 you won't be offered it anyway. There's 3 vaccines available to your age group, you don't get a choice as to which one you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Lumen wrote: »
    The risk of veinous thrombosis after a long-haul flight is approximately 1 in 5000.

The risk of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis or splanchnic vein thrombosis from the AZ vaccine is approximately 1 in 150,000, and that's including all the people who would have got it anyway.

So crudely, the worst case is that a single long haul flight is about as risky as being vaccinated 30 times with AZ. There's also well known radiation risks from long haul flights.

Yet I have never met anyone who avoids long haul flights because of the health risks.

What's the risk of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis from a long haul flight? If you're going to compare.... Maybe compare the same type of clot?
    The AZ rate in certainly increasing in occurrence as younger and younger people are vaccinated with it.
    Ontario rate is higher than the UK rate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Interesting update here: https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0512/1221083-virus-vaccine-rollout/

Finally the media picking up that cohort 7 people are getting left behind and GPs not vaccinating them. Let's hope Reid et al start answering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wolf359f wrote: »
    What's the risk of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis from a long haul flight? If you're going to compare.... Maybe compare the same type of clot?
    The AZ rate in certainly increasing in occurrence as younger and younger people are vaccinated with it.
    Ontario rate is higher than the UK rate now.

The risk of getting run over by a drunk driver whilst on a long haul flight is zero, and the risk of the windows falling out of the plane you are in causing catastrophic decompression whilst crossing the road is also zero. That doesn't mean you can't compare the relative risks of each incident happen in the situation where they are actually going to happen though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement