Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freaky

revelman wrote: »
    Every person over 50/60 I know who has recently been vaccinated with AZ has been told to return in 12 weeks.

I think the initial 16 week interval was for younger people (mostly in healthcare) who received AZ some time ago. There was a report somewhere on boards from one of these that they had since been told to get their second dose at 12 weeks.

I got got my first dose AZ in February ( under 40, healthcare worker, female) before all of the clotting reports. As far as I know my second dose will now be offered at 16 weeks instead of 12. I am extremely pro-vaccine and was delighted to get it, however I do have mixed feelings now about getting the second jab. For my age group the risk/benefit of getting AZ seems unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Any indication of when registration will begin for the next age group, which I assume is 40-49 ?

Interestingly i know someone ( 48) who phoned his doctor about the vaccine. Told him to come in tomorrow and roll up the sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Interestingly i know someone ( 48) who phoned his doctor about the vaccine. Told him to come in tomorrow and roll up the sleeve.

And will probably be categorised as Cohort 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

josip wrote: »
    Probably nothing more being made of it because it's a diminishing issue. Considering that:
    • most Cohort 7 in 60-69 have already received a first dose
    • many in 50-59 are now receiving appointments
    • some of the 18-49 in Cohort 7 have already received doses as part of Cohort 4
    It wouldn't be unreasonable to calculate that half of (and increasing) Cohort 7 are already being looked after.

Agree but it's naturally an emotive issue if you feel left out. For example, someone in their twenties with cancer, chronic liver disease or CF?

And your point is more the reason for them to feel aggrieved. Because a month ago a GP could have realistically had 300 in cohort 7 but it's more than likely less than 100 now. Not much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Richard Wall on Twitter is now reporting that Ireland has overtaken the U.K. on the daily vaccination rate per 100,000 people. We are at 726 per 100K. The U.K. is at 722.

Edit: Actually, he has updated this. We are at 748 per 100k.

Maybe ireland should start improving the restriction easing rollout then...

• Advertisement

Freaky wrote: »
    I got got my first dose AZ in February ( under 40, healthcare worker, female) before all of the clotting reports. As far as I know my second dose will now be offered at 16 weeks instead of 12. I am extremely pro-vaccine and was delighted to get it, however I do have mixed feelings now about getting the second jab. For my age group the risk/benefit of getting AZ seems unclear.

I understand your mixed feelings. If it is of any interest, of the 209 cases of these particular blood clots reported by the MHRA, only 4 followed the second dose. Yes, many people have not yet received their second dose but many millions have. The theory is that if you tolerate the first dose, then will tolerate the second. Who knows whether the 4 reported cases after the second dose are actually associated with the vaccine or might have happened anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Richard Wall on Twitter is now reporting that Ireland has overtaken the U.K. on the daily vaccination rate per 100,000 people. We are at 726 per 100K. The U.K. is at 722.

Edit: Actually, he has updated this. We are at 748 per 100k.

UKs current vaccination rate? What were they hitting at peak rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

snotboogie wrote: »
    Numbers were pretty slow coming out of a lot of European countries this week. Today is the first day I can put this together. We have firmly caught up in terms of pace with the rest of the EU but will still almost certainly be the last in Western Europe to hit 40 shots per 100 people. Malta seem to be heading in the same direction as Israel with case numbers. They are down to a 7 day average of 25 daily cases per million. On one hand its good news but on the other hand it emphasises how far we have to go to get there. Even the second best performer in Lithuania are really only halfway towards real suppression of case numbers via vaccination (as can be seen by their current case numbers). Headlines like the number one focus of government shifting from covid to housing seem very premature with this in mind and given we are still last in Western Europe for vaccines administered.

Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 87.5 May 10th
    Lithuania 44.5 May 11th 12
    Cyprus 44 May 11th 11
    Spain 43 May 10th 10
    Germany 42.5 May 10th 8
    Denmark 42 May 10th 9
    Austria 41.5 May 11th 6
    Italy 41 May 11th 5
    Estonia 41 May 11th 5
    Belgium 40.5 May 10th 4
    Portugal 40.5 May 11th 4
    Luxembourg 40 May 10th 4
    Finland 39 May 10th 1
    Sweden 39 May 11th 1
    France 38.5 May 10th 1
    Netherlands 38 May 9th 1
    Ireland 38 May 10th 0
    Poland 37 May 10th -3
    Greece 37 May 11th -3
    Slovenia 36 May 11th -5
    Czech Rep 35.5 May 11th -6
    Slovakia 35 May 11th -7
    Romania 31.5 May 10th -13
    Croatia 28 May 10th -20
    Latvia 22.5 May 11th -32
    Bulgaria 14.5 May 11th -48

How are you calculating days behind?

As of the 10th our seven day average is .75 doses per 100 population, per day, which puts us seven days behind Lithuania and Spain, eight behind Cyprus, six behind Germany; and four or less behind everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Evil_g wrote: »
    As of the 10th our seven day average is .75 doses per 100 population, per day, which puts us seven days behind Lithuania and Spain, eight behind Cyprus, six behind Germany; and four or less behind everyone else.

Some superficial investigation via the EU Vaccine Tracker suggests that Lithuania are ahead of us because they've administered every dose distributed, and our "days behind Lithuania" is entirely due to the fact that we have 450k doses sitting in the fridges (0.0075 doses per capita = 37,500, x 12 = 450k).

I had read previously that our consistently high Moderna stock was due to a requirement from Moderna that we hold back second doses, but if so why doesn't that apply to Lithuania?

Are Lithuania lying about their vaccine administration?

Sorry, I have only questions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Every person over 50/60 I know who has recently been vaccinated with AZ has been told to return in 12 weeks.

I think the initial 16 week interval was for younger people (mostly in healthcare) who received AZ some time ago. There was a report somewhere on boards from one of these that they had since been told to get their second dose at 12 weeks.

Not according to the HSE website last updated on 10th May

"If you are under 60 without a high-risk, or a very high-risk medical condition, you should wait until 16 weeks have passed to get your 2nd dose."

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/immunity/

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

JPA wrote: »
    UKs current vaccination rate? What were they hitting at peak rate?

The peak day in the UK was 844,285, which would be equivalent to 62,700/day here. We may exceed this in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

Is it possible to view what has been delivered so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

The peak day in the UK was 844,285, which would be equivalent to 62,700/day here. We may exceed this in June.

Possibly even sooner, we hit over 52k last Friday.

Garrigai wrote: »

Dunno about direct Irish sources, but the EU stats are in the top-right panel on here:

https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab

Just tweeted ten minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1392467272892092418

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Link below

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/0ca30-covid-19-vaccine-supply-updates/

Total delivered into country by Sunday 2.3 million.
    Total used by Monday 1,882,635

Take into account then doses to go out this week being estimated at the 250k mark along with the other requirements surrounding buffers etc brings us past the 2m doses mark used at a minimum this week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We may see more MVC switch to Pfizer this week and next I would think. That AZ supply is running fairly close to be used up.

566,000 in country and 532,411 used up to end of Monday.

The bumper delivery week of 401,480 is what's being used for the increase we're seeing because the pace of weekly vaccination is currently outstripping the supply incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Agree but it's naturally an emotive issue if you feel left out. For example, someone in their twenties with cancer, chronic liver disease or CF?

are other people in their twenties vaccinated no, so why do these people feel left out?

We may see more MVC switch to Pfizer this week and next I would think. That AZ supply is running fairly close to be used up.

Yep.

552774.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The bumper delivery week of 401,480 is what's being used for the increase we're seeing because the pace of weekly vaccination is currently outstripping the supply incoming.

Also dose 1 for the over 70s is nearly complete so Pfizer isn't needed for them anymore, there are some second doses but it's basically now available for all groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

So if a 50 year old gets jabbed with AZ on say June 1st, they have to wait until Oct(ish) to get second jab and then not considered fully vaccinated until the middle of Oct. , 2 weeks after second jab.

However get J and J and 2 weeks after you are considered fully vaccinated.

PFE you are good to go after 5 weeks from 1st jab with the second given on time.

They had no new data when they lowered AZ jab from only over 60's to now over 50's. J and J just got approved and they said oh sheet, we better change the AZ now to over 50's to match with what we've said for J and J.

I dont think NIAC have a clue, they seem to make it up as they go along, hence the decision to push out second AZ to 16 weeks waiting for "new data" and yet not extending the PFE out to six weeks from 4 weeks to speed things up.

Everything they seem to do is to cover their own arses.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Greystones running a lot smoother today
    Very busy but taking a half hour in the queue
    They are motoring,doing some 59 yr olds there today
    Astrazenica today still

So if a 50 year old gets jabbed with AZ on say June 1st, they have to wait until Oct(ish) to get second jab and then not considered fully vaccinated until the middle of Oct. , 2 weeks after second jab.

PFE you are good to go after 5 weeks from 1st jab with the second given on time.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40278833.html
    There was confusion on Thursday after a table that showed when people who had received different brands of vaccine would be considered fully vaccinated was taken from Gov.ie website.

However, Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said on Friday that this guidance was still in place.

It will mean that people are considered fully vaccinated:
    • Four weeks after their first dose of AstraZeneca.
    • Two weeks after the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
    • Two weeks after their second dose of Moderna.
    • One week after their second dose of Pfizer.
    • If they have had a PCR-confirmed case of Covid-19 in the last six months.
    Dr Holohan said the consideration had been made based on evidence of protection from the virus from different vaccines. However, he stressed the second dose of AstraZeneca would still be needed.

"The evidence is very clear that the first dose of AstraZeneca is giving, broadly speaking after a period of four weeks, a similar level of protection to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

German Health Ministry expecting a second delivery of AZ similar to earlier this month. This might mean we could get 160,000+ AZ doses in coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

We are due another 30k from AZ this week. Might already be here. Along with Pfizer and Moderna we should get around 240k doses this week. We will still have 400k in storage.

eoinbn wrote: »
    We are due another 30k from AZ this week. Might already be here. Along with Pfizer and Moderna we should get around 240k doses this week. We will still have 400k in storage.

Where did you get the info about the 30k AZ due?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭secman

If Im fully vaccinated after 4 weeks of AZ, then why would I get the second jab 16 weeks later? After all the news about clotting cases.

An analogy used by Prof Luke O'NEIL was that the first jab was the suit of armour and the second jab just tightening up the nuts and bolts on it.
    Whilst the clotting is extremely rare on the first jab of AZ it is almost non existent as as statistics on the 2nd jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭boccy23

Just posted on the Relaxation thread, but maybe folk are more enlightened here:

So can I hug my mam now without a mask inside?

She had her second Pfizer dose 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Where did you get the info about the 30k AZ due?

https://covid-vaccinatie.be/en/doses-delivered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not considered to be fully vaccinated, no, but 2 weeks after the first dose of ANY of the approved vaccines you are given great protection levels so don't worry too much about the "considered to be fully vaccinated" date

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement