Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

eoinbn wrote: »

Looking at what the Germans are expecting and dividing that by 16.5 to take into account our population, we should expect about 5 times that number from AZ. Perhaps not all EU countries are receiving proportionally the same number of vaccines in the same weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

revelman wrote: »
    Looking at what the Germans are expecting and dividing that by 16.5 to take into account our population, we should expect about 5 times that number from AZ. Perhaps not all EU countries are receiving proportionally the same number of vaccines in the same weeks?

You could be right there - we got 165k from AZ recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Lumen wrote: »

The government really needs to get their definitions straight. Currently you can avoid MHQ if you have both shots of AZ and wait 15 days afterwards. So you may be “fully” vaccinated according to Tony after one shot + 4 weeks, but for coming back from travel you’re not considered “fully” vaccinated. This is only being done because there is hesitancy towards AZ, especially when the three other options are all better in terms of getting you back to normality quicker / having less travel issues going forward.

ddarcy wrote: »
    The government really needs to get their definitions straight. Currently you can avoid MHQ if you have both shots of AZ and wait 15 days afterwards. So you may be “fully” vaccinated according to Tony after one shot + 4 weeks, but for coming back from travel you’re not considered “fully” vaccinated. This is only being done because there is hesitancy towards AZ, especially when the three other options are all better in terms of getting you back to normality quicker / having less travel issues going forward.

Looking at the numbers of people who have been registering online, if there is any hesitancy about AZ, it is among a small proportion of the population only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Next time J&J deliver is on the week of May 24th. Big delivery on the cards if all goes well

UfhXTgW.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Went on the portal after several hours calls beibg passed around from GP to HSE call centre to a hospital he attended last year.

The man never asked anything about which vaccines are better ot anything of the sort the GP brought it up doesnt know what vaccine he will get now and trying to take the attitude of ill take whatever the medical professionals give me but it must be in the back of mind why did the doctor originally tell me specifically without being asked, not to take AZ, im sure this GP will have many more patients in the same situation as the ages go down. He was waiting his turn but when everyone he knew who is younger and not in an at risk group were being done before him it was getting a bit of a joke!

I am very happy to be critical of HSE and their organisation when deserved but it seems here its very unfortunate when they are doing a good job here certain GPs are making the process a shambles. You can guarantee to the GPs who have decided not be part of the rollout after the plus 70s are done wont even comminicate it for fear of bad publicity

Did he take whatever he was offered on the portal and what was it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

snotboogie wrote: »
    Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 87.5 May 10th
    Lithuania 44.5 May 11th 12
    Cyprus 44 May 11th 11
    Spain 43 May 10th 10
    Germany 42.5 May 10th 8
    Denmark 42 May 10th 9
    Austria 41.5 May 11th 6
    Italy 41 May 11th 5
    Estonia 41 May 11th 5
    Belgium 40.5 May 10th 4
    Portugal 40.5 May 11th 4
    Luxembourg 40 May 10th 4
    Finland 39 May 10th 1
    Sweden 39 May 11th 1
    France 38.5 May 10th 1
    Netherlands 38 May 9th 1
    Ireland 38 May 10th 0
    Poland 37 May 10th -3
    Greece 37 May 11th -3
    Slovenia 36 May 11th -5
    Czech Rep 35.5 May 11th -6
    Slovakia 35 May 11th -7
    Romania 31.5 May 10th -13
    Croatia 28 May 10th -20
    Latvia 22.5 May 11th -32
    Bulgaria 14.5 May 11th -48

I wonder why Latvia is so behind while their neighbors Estonia and especially Lithuania doing so well.

JPup wrote: »
    No, no, no. You're comparing apples with oranges with those efficacy rates.

They are from different studies of different populations at different times when different variants where doing the rounds. All four vaccines approved for use in Europe have been shown to be similarly (read highly) effective at preventing hospitalisation and death.
    eoinbn wrote: »
    For the 1 billionth time - you cannot compare vaccines like that. Just look at the results out of the UK - are hospitals filling up with people that got AZ? 66m people and 4 deaths today. Millions of people protected with 1 dose of AZ.

You both missed the point

Entirely.

I was referring to people in Cohort 7 (Ireland's forgotten Cohort) getting offered Janssen on the portal in coming weeks, when in actual fact their GPs should be giving them Pfizer

It should be made compulsory for GPs to do Cohort 7. They're getting well paid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,670 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

vrusinov wrote: »
    I wonder why Latvia is so behind while their neighbors Estonia and especially Lithuania doing so well.

Were they one of the countries who banked on AZ and have been most affected by its supply issues?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    You both missed the point

Entirely.

I was referring to people in Cohort 7 (Ireland's forgotten Cohort) getting offered Janssen on the portal in coming weeks, when in actual fact their GPs should be giving them Pfizer

It should be made compulsory for GPs to do Cohort 7. They're getting well paid for it

At least the HSE and D of H are aware now and promised to do something about it . Its an absolute scandal that it took this long to sort out group 4 and 7 and caused a lot of stress and anxiety and time on the phone for many

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its an absolute scandal that it took this long to sort out group 4 and 7 and caused a lot of stress and anxiety and time on the phone for many

It's the "couldn't give a flying fcuk" attitude of hundreds of GPs who opted out of Cohort 7 that needs to be addressed at government level

GPs have made a fortune out of this pandemic and now they want to pick and choose what they do with Cohorts

Vaccine appointments for Californians ages 12-15 could begin Thursday

They may have made a complete balls of the pandemic overall, but the States have absolutely nailed their vaccine rollout

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-05-11/covid-19-vaccine-appointments-for-adolescents-could-become-available-by-thursday-in-california

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It's the "couldn't give a flying fcuk" attitude of hundreds of GPs who opted out of Cohort 7 that needs to be addressed at government level

GPs have made a fortune out of this pandemic and now they want to pick and choose what they do with Cohorts

Personally I think group 4 and 7 should have been done in the MVC’s
    Lists e mailed to HSE by hospitals and GPs and a portal opened for those groups .

Do you ever stop whinging? GPs also have other patients that need to be taken care of.
    If even a small percentage of cohort 7, or people that think they should be in cohort 7 when they shouldn't, has the same sense of entitlement that you do then I am sure GPs are sick and tired of been pestered by people demanding vaccines(and a particular brand at that) and just want nothing to do with cohort 7.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Personally I think group 4 and 7 should have been done in the MVC’s
    Lists e mailed to HSE by hospitals and GPs and a portal opened for those groups .

In Germany, since the beginning, people in our Cohort 4 and 7 have been vaccinated in MVCs. Everyone else is vaccinated at their GP. It is interesting that it is the other way around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Evil_g wrote: »
    How are you calculating days behind?

As of the 10th our seven day average is .75 doses per 100 population, per day, which puts us seven days behind Lithuania and Spain, eight behind Cyprus, six behind Germany; and four or less behind everyone else.

Its really just an indication that I included since the first time I posted this somebody said that we were only a "matter of hours" behind Germany and got dozens of likes, despite it being about a week in reality. Rounding will add or take a day. It also obviously not only depends on Irelands rollout but Irelands rollout vs other countries. Germany are for instance vaccinating 0.9 per day. Using 0.7 here you go:

Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 87.5 May 10th
    Lithuania 44.5 May 11th 8
    Cyprus 44 May 11th 8
    Spain 43 May 10th 7
    Germany 42.5 May 10th 6
    Denmark 42 May 10th 6
    Austria 41.5 May 11th 4
    Italy 41 May 11th 3
    Estonia 41 May 11th 3
    Belgium 40.5 May 10th 4
    Portugal 40.5 May 11th 3
    Luxembourg 40 May 10th 3
    Finland 39 May 10th 1
    Sweden 39 May 11th 0
    France 38.5 May 10th 1
    Netherlands 38 May 9th 1
    Ireland 38 May 10th 0
    Poland 37 May 10th -2
    Greece 37 May 11th -2
    Slovenia 36 May 11th -4
    Czech Rep 35.5 May 11th -5
    Slovakia 35 May 11th -5
    Romania 31.5 May 10th -9
    Croatia 28 May 10th -14
    Latvia 22.5 May 11th -23
    Bulgaria 14.5 May 11th -35

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So out of 26,500 j&j vaccines delivered less than 400 given out so far .. any reasoning as to why they are holding on to those ?
    Apologies if it’s already been discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

boccy23 wrote: »
    Just posted on the Relaxation thread, but maybe folk are more enlightened here:

So can I hug my mam now without a mask inside?

She had her second Pfizer dose 3 weeks ago.

In my opinion, from the point of view of your Mum's safety, absolutely.

From a point of view of your safety, most of the evidence is showing that it should be safe.

I'm afraid it is hard to be much clearer than that without knowing your personal circumstances, but if you're young and healthy, go for it! :) we're almost there folks.

More good news in the States
    Hundreds of colleges say Covid vaccines will be mandatory for Autumn 2021

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/11/hundreds-of-colleges-to-require-covid-vaccines-for-fall-2021.html

Is this the first major country to do this with such a big demographic?

It'll be interesting to see if others follow this route with college students

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭amandstu

Also dose 1 for the over 70s is nearly complete so Pfizer isn't needed for them anymore, there are some second doses but it's basically now available for all groups.

When do the over 70s need their second dose by?

What would be the longest that might make sense?

When might the first dose start to wear off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

amandstu wrote: »
    When do the over 70s need their second dose by?

What would be the longest that might make sense?

When might the first dose start to wear off?

They'll get their 2nd dose 4 weeks after the first

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Guardian coronavirus blog today said that 50% of Covid cases in Northwest UK towns of Blackburn & Bolton are the variant prevalent in India. Bolton currently has an R0 of 2! These towns have a lot of Indian and Pakistani residents who are reputed to be not good with adhering to protocols (having family gatherings/ weddings etc). It is Eid tomorrow, so social gatherings may increase.

Hopefully with the high vaccination rate they've broken the link between cases & hospitalizations, because it seems a perfect storm for a surge of cases going into Eid with an R of 2 already.

I imagine we'll learn a lot about the 'Indian' variant and efficacy of vaccines (especially AZ) by watching Bolton over the next few weeks.

CDC is now reporting 28 cases of thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome among 8.7 million vaccinated with J&J. Works out roughly at 1 in 300k though you might wonder about reporting levels in USA compared to Europe. Highest rates in women aged 30 to 49. Six cases were in men.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-j-j-vaccine/u-s-cdc-says-identified-28-blood-clotting-cases-after-jj-vaccine-idUSKBN2CT24A?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

My 84 year old mother was today admitted to hospital for the first time in many years.
    She got her 2nd vaccine dose 4 weeks ago.
    If she had been admitted 2 months ago, I’d have been very nervous about Covid.
    What a difference, 2 months and an effective set of vaccines, make.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Am booked to get my shot over here in Vancouver this Tuesday, got booked in today.

There might have been a little tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cUZy6AMCwuA2zhtRuKK7cqMVgmhdDsGsZrFWJTkw9DY/edit#gid=1421952725

This spreadsheet continues to grow in width....cohort 9 added.

Roughly 610k 50-59 year olds in the country. About 28% are vaccinated according to ECDC, leaving about 440k to be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Skygord wrote: »
    Hopefully with the high vaccination rate they've broken the link between cases & hospitalizations, because it seems a perfect storm for a surge of cases going into Eid with an R of 2 already.

The scariness of R=2 depends a lot on what the starting level of infection is.

Ews3N6OUUAE32tL.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Skygord wrote: »
    Guardian coronavirus blog today said that 50% of Covid cases in Northwest UK towns of Blackburn & Bolton are the variant prevalent in India. Bolton currently has an R0 of 2! These towns have a lot of Indian and Pakistani residents who are reputed to be not good with adhering to protocols (having family gatherings/ weddings etc). It is Eid tomorrow, so social gatherings may increase.

I imagine we'll learn a lot about the 'Indian' variant and efficacy of vaccines (especially AZ) by watching Bolton over the next few weeks.

The vaccines seem to be working against the Indian strain. Vaccinated HCW’s in India are showing good results of protection.

revelman wrote: »
    CDC is now reporting 28 cases of thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome among 8.7 million vaccinated with J&J. Works out roughly at 1 in 300k though you might wonder about reporting levels in USA compared to Europe. Highest rates in women aged 30 to 49. Six cases were in men.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-j-j-vaccine/u-s-cdc-says-identified-28-blood-clotting-cases-after-jj-vaccine-idUSKBN2CT24A?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Not unexpected that it would rise. Hopefully there is no more to come.
    Assuming 50% breakdown that is 1 in 200k chance for women and 1 in 700k for men.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    My 84 year old mother was today admitted to hospital for the first time in many years.
    She got her 2nd vaccine dose 4 weeks ago.
    If she had been admitted 2 months ago, I’d have been very nervous about Covid.
    What a difference, 2 months and an effective set of vaccines, make.

The relief you feel when your parents get their first shot really is something else

I'd a lump in my throat when I heard mine got theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement