Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

josip wrote: »
    My 84 year old mother was today admitted to hospital for the first time in many years.
    She got her 2nd vaccine dose 4 weeks ago.
    If she had been admitted 2 months ago, I’d have been very nervous about Covid.
    What a difference, 2 months and an effective set of vaccines, make.

Speedy recover to your mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Personally I think group 4 and 7 should have been done in the MVC’s
    Lists e mailed to HSE by hospitals and GPs and a portal opened for those groups .

That’s how it was originally planned. 4 and 7 were to get AZ. Literally the teams in hospitals emailed the HSE on who was to get it.

For the people in cohort 4 who should be in 7, I know my hospital and have been told this occurred at others, they just took all diabetics and added them to the list. Like I’m in no way in cohort 4, not even near their definitions of being in 4, but got put with the rest of them. I think issues are arising where you use your gp only instead of a seeing a consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

eoinbn wrote: »
    Do you ever stop whinging? GPs also have other patients that need to be taken care of.
    If even a small percentage of cohort 7, or people that think they should be in cohort 7 when they shouldn't, has the same sense of entitlement that you do then I am sure GPs are sick and tired of been pestered by people demanding vaccines(and a particular brand at that) and just want nothing to do with cohort 7.

Well they should do their job then, there's a fecking pandemic on, the folk in cohort 7 are not going to go away.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Am booked to get my shot over here in Vancouver this Tuesday, got booked in today.

There might have been a little tear.

That's good to hear! How long is the wait for the 2nd dose over there as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

So tomorrow is the last day of the Over 50s portal countdown ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

km79 wrote: »
    So tomorrow is the last day of the Over 50s portal countdown ?

Yeah the 50 year olds are tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

JPup wrote: »
    That's good to hear! How long is the wait for the 2nd dose over there as a matter of interest?

I heard in Quebec anyway its five months in between dose 1 and 2.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Yeah the 50 year olds are tomorrow.

Hope to be registering next week so

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

I’m 54 in cork and just got a text to attend cork city hall next Tuesday for a Pfizer vaccine, in fairness they are flying through the cohorts now.

Well they should do their job then, there's a fecking pandemic on, the folk in cohort 7 are not going to go away.

I have some sympathy with GPs, told first the HSE and hospitals would sort group 4, then were asked actually can you do it? That was in addition to doing over 70's and managing their normal workload. There are only so many hours in the day. So far GPs have carried the can for most of the vaccine rollout and the HSE/government haven't done anything particularly innovative.

Group 7 could have been given an online portal, input your condition/treatment, select your GP from a list and an alert could easily be sent to the GP to confirm. HSE had plenty of time to work this stuff out (was being discussed on this thread since vaccine efficacy results were released) but decided to shift the burden to GPs, who are in effect a private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

George Lee reporting on 6.01 that NIAC may forward advice to CMO on J&J tomorrow if not tonight.

Also mentions that J&J vaccines will be released from stock for use in MVCs later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

corkonion wrote: »
    I’m 54 in cork and just got a text to attend cork city hall next Tuesday for a Pfizer vaccine, in fairness they are flying through the cohorts now.
    Yes, in some parts of the country, others are still waiting for the over 60s to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

My friend's mother is 56 bad has pairc ui chaoimh next Monday, waiting for my 55 year old mother now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Apogee wrote: »
    George Lee reporting on 6.01 that NIAC may forward advice to CMO on J&J tomorrow if not tonight.

Also mentions that J&J vaccines will be released from stock for use in MVCs later this week.

I think at this stage the dogs on the street know the 40 - 49 age group is getting Janssen

The government have been doing soft drops with this info to the media for days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Apogee wrote: »

Any suggestion on what that advice might be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I think at this stage the dogs on the street know the 40 - 49 age group is getting Janssen

As someone within that group I'd be feckin delighted. 1 and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Any suggestion on what that advice might be ?

He didn't specify. Though I reckon NIAC have already been given a broad hint from CMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Russman

This exactly. It’s been flagged for ages.

As someone in that age group, I’ll happily take whatever one I’m offered. Can’t say I won’t have ever so slightly mixed feelings about getting J&J given what we know, but it certainly wouldn’t stop me rolling up my sleeve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

It could actually be something like 45-49 for J&J.
    The demographics here are not evenly spread amongst age groups and when you get to about 1979 onwards the number of people increases quite a bit.

There was a very high birthrate around 1979-1984 and those people haven't emigrated in the same numbers as previous generations may have.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp3oy/cp3/assr/

If you go to the 2016 profile, don't forget to add 5 years. So the 36 band is now the 41 band, which is the widest on the whole graph.

There are significantly fewer people in their early 30s than in their early 40s for example and it starts to widen out again as you get into what are now the teenage years.

Basically if you're born from about 1976 to about 1986 in Ireland you're a 'boomer'.
    The population spread is totally different to the US, where that boom happened after WWII, our baby boom was mid 70s to mid 80s.

I think a lot of people are just assuming every age step is a similar number of people. That's just not the case at all. It will seem slower though the younger 50s and through the 40s to mid 30s and then very fast through the 20s as there are just fewer people until you start to hit about age 20 (remember you need to add 5 years for this as the data is from 2016)

552806.jpeg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is Croke Park vaccinating yet?

• Advertisement

(Added 5 years to the 2016 data)

Ages as at 2021

40 yrs 81545
    41 yrs 83196
    42 yrs 77184
    43 yrs 74681
    44 yrs 72815

40-44: 389421

45 yrs 73414
    46 yrs 71974
    47 yrs 71172
    48 yrs 71288
    49 yrs 69612

45-49 : 357460

Total 40-49: 746881

If anyone would like to match those up to J&J / Janssen availability and Pfizer/BioNTech & Moderna for the younger cohort. How does that fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pc7 wrote: »
    Is Croke Park vaccinating yet?

Yes, I passed it on Sunday and it was up and running. Signs everywhere around the area.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yes, I passed it on Sunday and it was up and running. Signs everywhere around the area.

Brilliant news, wasn’t sure they’d started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

JPup wrote: »

They are saying 16 weeks or so, but only 3 weeks ago it looked like it might have been September for the first.

I will say this to everyone, numbers are super fluid and can change (for the good or the bad) very quickly.

Eod100 wrote: »

Headline:

It may be possible to offer vaccine to everyone who wants one by end of June – Varadkar

"TÁNAISTE Leo Varadkar has said it may be possible that everyone who wants a vaccine could be offered one by the end of June.

Mr Varadkar told the Fine Gael parliamentary party that given evidence from other countries that between 10pc and 15pc of people decline the vaccine it was possible that everyone who wants a vaccine could be offered one by the end of June.

However, he added that it was too soon to promise that at this stage."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Headline:

It may be possible to offer vaccine to everyone who wants one by end of June – Varadkar

"TÁNAISTE Leo Varadkar has said it may be possible that everyone who wants a vaccine could be offered one by the end of June.

Mr Varadkar told the Fine Gael parliamentary party that given evidence from other countries that between 10pc and 15pc of people decline the vaccine it was possible that everyone who wants a vaccine could be offered one by the end of June.

However, he added that it was too soon to promise that at this stage."

Yup seems like usual kiteflying in parliamentary party meetings knowing it will be leaked to media but thought it was interesting all the same.

It's an interesting comparison if you scale up the Irish daily rate to the US population scale. We're going at about the US pop equivalent of over 3.5m shots a day, based on our Friday numbers.

The 52,000 - 53,000 shots sounds small until you scale it up to the populations of the countries you're seeing headlines from.

If we can keep up and exceed this rate, we are definitely looking at the gap with the UK and US close quite rapidly in Europe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's an interesting comparison if you scale up the Irish daily rate to the US population scale. We're going at about the US pop equivalent of over 3.5m shots a day, based on our Friday numbers.

The 52,000 - 53,000 shots sounds small until you scale it up to the populations of the countries you're seeing headlines from.

Wow. that's amazing.

I always find those sort of comparators useful to give perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

If we can keep up and exceed this rate, we are definitely looking at the gap with the UK and US close quite rapidly in Europe.

Friday was the peek as it is most weeks however it's an impressive volume they are getting through. HSE usually = disaster but, so far so good. Hopefully some leeway from NIAC and we can keep going

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement