Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

eoinbn wrote: »
    Not unexpected that it would rise. Hopefully there is no more to come.
    Assuming 50% breakdown that is 1 in 200k chance for women and 1 in 700k for men.

1 in 100k for women in their 40s, who it's rumoured are now going to be specifically targeted with the vaccine. Pretty much the most at risk group, with only women in their 30s slightly higher. They should make it opt in, like many other countries have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The Photo ID requirement's a bit much, given you'll have a certain % who may not have any form of photo ID and there's no compulsory photo ID in Ireland. So, while a lot of people will have either a passport, driving licence or public service card, not everyone necessarily does.

If they were being reasonable, showing them the SMS and a printout of your email and so on should really suffice for this, or any ID e.g. your bank card or something.

It's like as if we've a national ID card or something. I'd say there'll be a big issue if you start getting stories of people turned away who had valid appointments.

I mean, if you think about it. I've gone for flu jabs in Boots and they were just booked online and they didn't have a clue who I was when I came in other than I showed up and knew I had an appointment. Why is this any different?

I find it a bit funny that anyone is looking for photo ID when we're all wearing masks!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Did he take whatever he was offered on the portal and what was it in the end?

He actually got the pfizer vaccine through the MVC today, text message within an hour or 2 of registering confirming appointment so well done hse. Im relieved he has a first dose now, didnt matter what vaccine they all do the job but good he got what he was originally told he would get. Persobally J abd J would be ideal for me, one needle and one trip ,im in my 30s so by the time it gets down me there could be a lot of floating around!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I think at this stage the dogs on the street know the 40 - 49 age group is getting Janssen

The government have been doing soft drops with this info to the media for days

Especially as there are over 200k doses of it due in the next fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Strazdas wrote: »
    Especially as there are over 200k doses of it due in the next fortnight.

There are 746,881 people in that cohort. So it stacks up to perhaps a good chunk of the 45-49 group (357,460) that’s being mentioned.

They can steer it towards the upper end of that age range to minimise risks.

That 40-49 age group is one of the largest demographics in Ireland.

About age 35-45 is the baby boom.

My prediction is they’ll go with Janssen for as much as they can go starting at 49 and working down and then switch back to the mRNA vaccines for the rest.

Any subsequent deliveries of Janssen perhaps going to pharmacies for on demand use in late June & July ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Done the auld registration tonight. I await for that beep on the phone :pac:. I know a couple in their mid 50’s who registered a few days ago and already got an appointment. The text also said they are getting the pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

So it looks like J&J and Astrazeneca will be cleared for use in people under 50, “at least from 45 years of age” but perhaps even lower.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/niac-expected-to-clear-way-for-use-of-johnson-johnson-and-astrazeneca-vaccines-in-under-50s-1.4563447

I see two options here:

a) They take the British approach and use 40 and above as the age range.
    b) They take the German approach of informed consent and allow anyone to take those vaccine who wishes to.

If they go with b), I can see AZ and J&J being distributed at pharmacies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭plodder

The Photo ID requirement's a bit much, given you'll have a certain % who may not have any form of photo ID and there's no compulsory photo ID in Ireland. So, while a lot of people will have either a passport, driving licence or public service card, not everyone necessarily does.

If they were being reasonable, showing them the SMS and a printout of your email and so on should really suffice for this, or any ID e.g. your bank card or something.

It's like as if we've a national ID card or something. I'd say there'll be a big issue if you start getting stories of people turned away who had valid appointments.

I mean, if you think about it. I've gone for flu jabs in Boots and they were just booked online and they didn't have a clue who I was when I came in other than I showed up and knew I had an appointment. Why is this any different?
    I haven't heard of anyone being turned away, and it's more likely to have been a problem with the older groups.

It probably should be the same as for voting though. So, valid photo-id or various other kinds of document with your name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

revelman wrote: »
    So it looks like J&J and Astrazeneca will be cleared for use in people under 50, “at least from 45 years of age” but perhaps even lower.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/niac-expected-to-clear-way-for-use-of-johnson-johnson-and-astrazeneca-vaccines-in-under-50s-1.4563447

I see two options here:

a) They take the British approach and use 40 and above as the age range.
    b) They take the German approach of informed consent and allow anyone to take those vaccine who wishes to.

If they go with b), I can see AZ and J&J being distributed at pharmacies too.

I’d guess it’ll be the UK approach. If Leo is talking about everyone being offered a jab by end of June, there won’t be time for pharmacies to be hugely involved I think.

Others will disagree, but the one line in the story I find troubling is:

“Senior sources say that it has been made clear to Niac that such a move would be important for the vaccination programme, which has been hampered by supply shortages and restrictions.”

Personally I think that comes waaay to close to political interfering in what should be a medical decision. I think it should be medical advice first and adjust your plan around that, rather than fulfilling political promises and adjust the medical advice to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Russman wrote: »

“Senior sources say that it has been made clear to Niac that such a move would be important for the vaccination programme, which has been hampered by supply shortages and restrictions.”

Personally I think that comes waaay to close to political interfering in what should be a medical decision. I think it should be medical advice first and adjust your plan around that, rather than fulfilling political promises and adjust the medical advice to suit.

I agree with you.

I am female 45 and have niggling doubts about taking AZ. They have increased since I read about the 47 year old woman who died in Slovakia after the AZ Vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

I’d guess it’ll be the UK approach. If Leo is talking about everyone being offered a jab by end of June, there won’t be time for pharmacies to be hugely involved I think.

The medical advice would be that nobody take a vaccine under 70 and we stay in lockdown forever.
    There is no zero risk approach but NIAC shouldn't be giving advice on the basis the lockdown will protect people until more vaccines become available, it should be given on the basis that if we don't get herd immunity we will return to a situation like January in a short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I wonder if they will involve pharmacists for the second doses or boosters later on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

omicron wrote: »
    The medical advice would be that nobody take a vaccine under 70 and we stay in lockdown forever.
    There is no zero risk approach but NIAC shouldn't be giving advice on the basis the lockdown will protect people until more vaccines become available, it should be given on the basis that if we don't get herd immunity we will return to a situation like January in a short period.

Exaggerate much? When NIAC first restricted AZ to over 60s they were very clear that for that age group the risk of Covid was worse than the risk of any side effects from the vaccine.
    They even showed tables/graphs for all the age groups under that showing how the risks balanced out, and they were very clear that if we hadn’t had other vaccines available then they would have advised AZ for all ages.
    Saying they would advise continued lockdown rather than the use of the vaccine is the opposite of what they actually said.

The restrictions on AZ and J&J haven’t even slowed down the rollout so far, except for a few days when the HSE had to pause to rethink the logistics. Up until recently we were constrained by supply/arrival of vaccines and by some of the MVCs not being open yet, and there were plenty of people available in the recommended age groups to take each of the vaccines.

I do agree that we are heading towards a period where the current restrictions would mean we end up with loads of AZ and J&J with no one to give it to. The fact that NIAC are considering lowering the age limit again shows that they take the side of the risks of side-effects are still lower than just keeping everyone in lockdown “forever”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

omicron wrote: »

I would be very happy to take the JJ. I have read up about it and no issues on my part (later 40’s male). However, I fully understand if someone has doubts on JJ or AZ, and there needs to be some mechanism to allow choice. That mechanism is informed opt in.

The carrot for JJ is freedom and travel (so called vaccine premium). If someone does not opt in then they will have a longer wait for Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Done the auld registration tonight. I await for that beep on the phone :pac:. I know a couple in their mid 50’s who registered a few days ago and already got an appointment. The text also said they are getting the pfizer.

Micky
    I registered last Friday and got text Tuesday and getting Vaccine tomorrow
    i'm in mid 50's but getting Monderna Vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

U.S. health officials said the number of confirmed cases of a rare but serious blood clot syndrome among people who received Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine has risen to 28, but that the shot's benefits still outweigh the risk.

The additional cases of the clot condition, for the first time, included men. Six of the 28 cases were in men, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention official said Wednesday in a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, a panel of doctors and public-health officials advising the CDC on vaccine policy. Three of the people with the clot condition have died.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/covid-2021-05-12

I wonder will these developments ( more clots and deaths ) impact NIAC’s decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

afro man wrote: »
    Micky

Hi,

I registered last Saturday, having the Moderna vaccine today at 3 in Galway 🀞👌

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Meanwhile, in Ohio, if you receive a vaccine you are entered into a draw for a prize of $1million, to be awarded each week for the next five weeks...

https://www.thejournal.ie/ohio-covid-19-vaccine-draw-for-1-million-dollars-5435904-May2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

My dad registered last week, getting Pfizer today.

I'm delighted, that's both parents done, and one sibling. Few more siblings to go, and I'm getting my second Pfizer next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

40,278 done Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Hardyn wrote: »
    Those figures aren't quite accurate. The trials showed 85% efficacy against severe disease WITHOUT hospitilization. Efficacy against severe disease leading to hospitalization and/or death was 100%.

Thanks. That's what I thought...would be good if the HSE were precise with this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some serious delays at the Aviva MVC late yesterday. My wife had an appointment for 6pm and didn't get her vaccination until 8pm. I had mine there at 9am and was in and out in 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Should hit 2million doses administered today or tomorrow if they keep up this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

I would be very happy to take the JJ. I have read up about it and no issues on my part (later 40’s male). However, I fully understand if someone has doubts on JJ or AZ, and there needs to be some mechanism to allow choice. That mechanism is informed opt in.

The carrot for JJ is freedom and travel (so called vaccine premium). If someone does not opt in then they will have a longer wait for Pfizer.

I agree. Like you I'd happily take any of them, its just the whole process seems to me to be too skewed towards "lets not waste any J&J". I get that there's a balance to be found between logistics, safety, etc etc., I just think they've become too fixated on the end of June date they promised. Lifting of restrictions is almost irreversible at this point, a huge chunk of vulnerable are protected and I don't think we'll go backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

267,000 over the last 7 days - going well. Expect 45-49 to be opening next week

afro man wrote: »
    Micky

Cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Very interesting to see in the Got a confirmed vaccine appointment -Post your age and appointment date thread that most if not all the 50's cohort are getting Pfizer or in one case so far the Moderna, small sample set of posters of course.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I agree. Like you I'd happily take any of them, its just the whole process seems to me to be too skewed towards "lets not waste any J&J". I get that there's a balance to be found between logistics, safety, etc etc., I just think they've become too fixated on the end of June date they promised. Lifting of restrictions is almost irreversible at this point, a huge chunk of vulnerable are protected and I don't think we'll go backwards.

Problem is the government want to tie vaccine into green travel certs. I doubt they’ll be allowed but it would be unfair to deny people the ability to leave the country to see their family as they’re unvaccinated, but not allow those same people to be vaccinated when the vaccine is sitting in a fridge.

Sure what else are they supposed to get ?

AZ isn't approved for them as it stands today

AZ has been approved for over 50s for the last two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Supercell wrote: »
    Very interesting to see in the Got a confirmed vaccine appointment -Post your age and appointment date thread that most if not all the 50's cohort are getting Pfizer or in one case so far the Moderna, small sample set of posters of course.

Deleted my previous reply as I got mixed up with my cut off ages, I had the 40's on the brain for another reason.

Anyway back to the 50s.

It's primarily because there's still some 60-69 coming forward and AZ is going there & as of Monday there isn't that much AZ actually left in the country. Of course this is pending delivery of more but you can't schedule for what you don't have Pfizer & Moderna on the other had we have a bit of

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement