Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm not quite sure how that cohort 4/7 solution solves anything. GPs are pulling about because people are ringing to complain about not getting the vaccine. Nothing changes except instead of jabbing themselves the GPs send them to an MVC, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I was watching it and I'm convinced I heard 45+
    35-39, especially for J&J in women would be far too risky for NIAC to approve.

All the media reports were saying 45 so this might just be an error on Richard Chambers’ part.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,661 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm not quite sure how that cohort 4/7 solution solves anything. GPs are pulling about because people are ringing to complain about not getting the vaccine. Nothing changes except instead of jabbing themselves the GPs send them to an MVC, no?

I thought GPs were pulling out because of the disruption to regular GP work trying to fit in vaccinations.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Beanybabog wrote: »
    That article links to another article saying we’re the most willing to get vaccinated in Europe! I hadn’t seen that.
    That makes me a little bit proud. Someone very close to me is very vaccine hesitant and swore blind she wouldn’t get the AstraZeneca. Then AZ was given to her age group only and she’s been very upset and angry about it from the worry, saying she wasn’t getting it. But she got it. She did it because she felt she had to, not even for her own health concerns but because like everyone she wants the world back to normal. I’m proud of her. She’s still giving out about it, I’m glad so far she had no side effects or I’d never hear the end of it

From FT

Rejection is higher in many eastern European countries, with Bulgarians the most hesitant of all: 61 per cent are nervous of receiving the jab. Elsewhere in the region, the report finds more than 30 per cent hesitancy in Latvia, Croatia, Slovenia, Poland and Slovakia. Some are as high as 50 per cent.
    France was the most sceptical among the larger EU economies, with only half of its population saying they were “very” or “rather likely” to accept a vaccine.
    That compares with less than 20 per cent hesitancy in Spain and Italy.

Note that Spain and Italy had it bad in some regions, and perhaps realise that you need to get rid of this disease.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I thought GPs were pulling out because of the disruption to regular GP work trying to fit in vaccinations.
    The ones I've read were complaining about the abuse they're getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

It's giving them a chance to register now instead of waiting until there age category.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,661 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The ones I've read were complaining about the abuse they're getting.

That doesn't make any sense though, they are as likely to get grief telling people they're not doing the vaccinations at all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Anyone read or seen any updates about the following vaccines :
    CureVac, Novavax, Sanofi/Pasteur-GSK, Valneva an Sanofi Pasteur- Translate Bio - the latter I read somewhere it is stage 2, expected 2022

Be interesting to know what direction they will take, perhaps from a regular booster perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The latest UK data has been published:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

Only a small increase in clotting cases since the last update a week ago:

20 additional cases (262 overall)
    2 additional deaths (51 overall)
    2 additional cases after a second dose (8 overall)

The incidence rate seems to be slowing down compared to the last few weeks, which is good. I wonder what's driving that.

Can anyone supply Ireland equivalent of the UK yellow card system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

celt262 wrote: »
    It's giving them a chance to register now instead of waiting until there age category.

So does all group 4 and 7 register on the portal or just does whos GP has opted out ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Anyone read or seen any updates about the following vaccines :
    CureVac, Novavax, Sanofi/Pasteur-GSK, Valneva an Sanofi Pasteur- Translate Bio - the latter I read somewhere it is stage 2, expected 2022

Be interesting to know what direction they will take, perhaps from a regular booster perspective.

Well there is a piece here on CureVac and GSK's second gen vaccines:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-11/doctors-watch-warily-as-severe-covid-infections-target-kids

It seems they and Novavax are looking to next-generation vaccines for variants or combos with other vaccines since they are too late to the party. However, the existing mRNA vaccines are also in this game as well and are demonstrating strong results against current variants so it is not clear how the market will fare for them - perhaps large openings in Asia?

https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/13/european-regulator-pretty-confident-mrna-covid-vaccines-work-against-indian-variant

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So does all group 4 and 7 register on the portal or just does whos GP has opted out ?

If the GP is doing groups 4 & 7 they just wait to be called by GP. If the GP isn't doing the group a system is being put in place for GP to refer on patients in ether category for a vaccine which will be administered at a MVC.

As per HSE website group 7 can also sign up via portal when their age group comes https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/

People aged 16 to 59 at high risk
    GPs will vaccinate people aged 59 and under in this group. It will take some time for GPs to identify and invite everyone.

How you will get your vaccine
    GPs will contact many of their patients when it’s their turn to be vaccinated.

You can also register online for your vaccine when your age group is being called for vaccination.

If the GP is doing groups 4 & 7 they just wait to be called by GP. If the GP isn't doing the group a system is being put in place for GP to refer on patients in ether category for a vaccine which will be administered at a MVC.

As per HSE website group 7 can also sign up via portal when their age group comes https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/

People aged 16 to 59 at high risk
    GPs will vaccinate people aged 59 and under in this group. It will take some time for GPs to identify and invite everyone.

How you will get your vaccine
    GPs will contact many of their patients when it’s their turn to be vaccinated.

You can also register online for your vaccine when your age group is being called for vaccination.

At the rate GPs are going you would be quicker if he doesn’t opt in and go via portal I am guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scouser123

Anyone else know of younger people getting the vaccine before them? I know of many real (not friends of friends) people in their 50's who received the vaccine and a number in their 60's who have not even got an appointment yet.
    Donnelly said on the radio this morning that location doesn't matter and that appointments will be issued in accordance to age, even if that means going to a centre further away.
    As far as I know 60's and up can get any vaccine so it can't be a shortage of any particular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

My GP, was hounded with calls, but also a completely unreliable vaccine supply. He will finish the last of the second doses of 70+ in 2 weeks time.

But on what changes... I'm a little confused, plenty in cohort 4/7 have been getting appointments for MVC's from a referral from their GP. So there was a system in place to refer patients but now there's another system?
    Curious to see if we start hearing of people from 4/7 whose GP's are not doing vaccinations getting appointments next week. Same for hospital clinics referring patients.

The dashboard discrepancy with cohort 7 figures, from my understanding was GP's referring their cohort 7 patients and they put 'medical condition' in as the reason. When it went into the dashboard they appeared as cohort 4. So maybe this way, we'll start seeing correct figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Hopefully they’ll realise it makes far more sense to allow all of both cohorts to register and quickly get vaccinated that way.

Hopefully they’ll realise it makes far more sense to allow all of both cohorts to register and quickly get vaccinated that way.

I hope so because the GPs are at snails pace
    The MVC’s are zipping through them while GPs are only vaccinated every fortnight or so . There should be a portal for 4 and 7 by now and get this sorted asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I hope so because the GPs are at snails pace
    The MVC’s are zipping through them while GPs are only vaccinated every fortnight or so . There should be a portal for 4 and 7 by now and get this sorted asap

Agreed. We’ll see how it goes.

A better system imo would be for group 4/7 to register on the portal and then send it to the GP for yes/no verification. You already have to put in the GP into the vaccine registration anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The government have clarified when we are deemed as fully vaxxed:

“”What NIAC have concluded is that if you get a Johnson & Johnson dose you would be deemed fully vaccinated two weeks after that dose.

With AstraZeneca after your first dose they would view you to be fully vaccinated four weeks after your first dose, with Pfizer and Moderna it is one week and two weeks respectively after the second dose.

So essentially what that all means is that somewhere between two weeks and six weeks of your first dose of any of these you would be deemed to be fully vaccinated", he said.“”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Are we any closer to a recommendation from NIAC on J&J and AZ ?
    Yesterday, I thought I read that it might be last night or this morning which hasn't happened.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Are we any closer to a recommendation from NIAC on J&J and AZ ?
    Yesterday, I thought I read that it might be last night or this morning which hasn't happened.

I think it's now "by the weekend".

I wonder how NIAC members feel about the kind of comments being made over the last few days. Seems like government leaning on them to do what's convenient, which is not appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Micky 32 wrote: »

“”What NIAC have concluded is that if you get a Johnson & Johnson dose you would be deemed fully vaccinated two weeks after that dose.

With AstraZeneca after your first dose they would view you to be fully vaccinated four weeks after your first dose, with Pfizer and Moderna it is one week and two weeks respectively after the second dose.

So essentially what that all means is that somewhere between two weeks and six weeks of your first dose of any of these you would be deemed to be fully vaccinated", he said.“”

Nothing new there. Was all announced a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nothing new there. Was all announced a while back
    And it'll be announced again in a few weeks as people are not paying attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think it's now "by the weekend".

I wonder how NIAC members feel about the kind of comments being made over the last few days. Seems like government leaning on them to do what's convenient, which is not appropriate.
    Their terms of reference includes "To advocate for best immunisation practices" which sounds a bit vague to the layperson.

Who has the responsibility for deciding what the appropriate trade-off is between the costs of lockdowns and the risk of contracting Covid, and choosing not to use certain vaccines because of the risk of side-effects? That to me is the key question.

If it's not NIACs responsibility, then they should stick to their guns. If it is their responsibility to take this into account, then it is appropriate to put pressure on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Micky 32 wrote: »

On that Stephen Donnelly said yesterday on Pat Kenny that for travel purposes they are having to go by the manufacturers recommendations for fully vaccinated. So for travel you need the two doses and associated period after (Pfizer, AZ, Moderna) or the one for J&J. He did say they were working with Europe on that though in regards to AZ… Also mentioned working with the US/Canada on a vaccine passport QR code too.

So as it stands officially you’re waiting at least 14 weeks from first dose to travel if you get AZ (might be some country exceptions in there, but if put on MHQ while you’re gone, you’re screwed).

hmmm wrote: »
    Their terms of reference includes "To advocate for best immunisation practices" which sounds a bit vague to the layperson.

Who has the responsibility for deciding what the appropriate trade-off is between the costs of lockdowns and the risk of contracting Covid, and choosing not to use certain vaccines because of the risk of side-effects? That to me is the key question.

If it's not NIACs responsibility, then they should stick to their guns. If it is their responsibility to take this into account, then it is appropriate to put pressure on them.

They are medical experts, so it's certainly not their place to balance the cost of lockdowns against possible risks from the vaccines. That is the government's job, but it seems to me that they're looking for cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭josip

Signed up on Friday, got the txt today, being pfizered at Lansdowne Road on Saturday at 5.30. Still cannot call it the Aviva.

I'd be the same, but bear in mind that 'Lansdowne' was a British Whig who historians described as "having a nasty personality that alienated friend and enemy alike". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They are medical experts, so it's certainly not their place to balance the cost of lockdowns against possible risks from the vaccines. That is the government's job, but it seems to me that they're looking for cover.
    I know public health as a discipline takes a lot of what would be regarded as non-medical implications into account as part of their decisions.

Anyway, it's someone's job to take economic impacts into account, and also the impact of Covid spread while vaccines sit unused. Who-ever is responsible need to be accountable for decisions, be that NIAC, HSE, Government or whoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm due the second dose of pfizer soon (Monday will be the 28th day) but have heard nothing off the hse. Getting a bit nervous now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement